Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged tax on a points stay

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 2:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Does that mean in the United States they're on the hook?
I'm not aware as to whether anywhere in the US has a tourist tax? There's a bit of a bizarrely worded clause with reference to "foreign governments" apparently charging tax in the US. It looks to me like it might just not have been properly written. Who knows what it means - to me the US is a foreign Govt.

" Awards do not include United States federal inspection fees or any other fees, expenses, surcharges, taxes or other costs or expenses that may be imposed by foreign governments for international travel."

Incidentally, as a non-US resident, having all these US vs. non-US rules and references to other governments as "foreign" are examples of how Marriott comes across so incredibly parochial to the majority of the world.
Old May 19, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I just booked three nights at Sheraton NY Time Square with points and they have sent an email saying I will be charged the following:Taxes & Fees (per night per room)

Estimated Government Taxes & Fees7.19 USD
Destination Amenity fee25.00 USD
Totals

Total for Stay (all rooms)96.57 USD
Old May 19, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by jahason
I just booked three nights at Sheraton NY Time Square with points and they have sent an email saying I will be charged the following:Taxes & Fees (per night per room)

Estimated Government Taxes & Fees7.19 USD
Destination Amenity fee25.00 USD
Totals

Total for Stay (all rooms)96.57 USD
That $25 is a resort fee, but you also get $30 restaurant credit back, according to its website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.