FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

flo_147 Sep 19, 2018 7:25 am

Finally got an AMB assigned yeeeyyy ;)

So the email from last week was accurate and it seems like Marriott is now finally moving forward with the AMB program.

MSPeconomist Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am

I got an email late last night from my new Ambassador too, but it seems a bit strange in that there's nothing about asking my preferences and nothing about what the Ambassador Service experience is supposed to actually do, although the email says something about information that seems cryptic to me.

kmersh Sep 19, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30221279)
I got an email late last night from my new Ambassador too, but it seems a bit strange in that there's nothing about asking my preferences and nothing about what the Ambassador Service experience is supposed to actually do, although the email says something about information that seems cryptic to me.

Wife also got an email from her new Ambassador, but like you nothing about asking her preferences nor anything really about what Ambassador Service is all about.

She feel it is status quo and she is already saying it just another Marriott gimmick that will not amount to much, pretty much like her being a Platinum Premier (never amounted to anything in the legacy program and she is of the opinion will not amount to much in the new program either).

bhrubin Sep 19, 2018 10:24 am

Originally Posted by kmersh (Post 30221515)
Wife also got an email from her new Ambassador, but like you nothing about asking her preferences nor anything really about what Ambassador Service is all about.

She feel it is status quo and she is already saying it just another Marriott gimmick that will not amount to much, pretty much like her being a Platinum Premier (never amounted to anything in the legacy program and she is of the opinion will not amount to much in the new program either).

We legacy SPGers totally can understand why legacy Marriott elites might question the value of the Ambassador program: after all, your Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier status was largely ignored and "never amounted to anything," as you said.

However, the new Loyalty Program is already quite distinct from the old Marriott Rewards (and Ritz Carlton Rewards) programs. With Plat Premier status and Ambassador status now:

(1) You are guaranteed a suite upgrade based on availability at almost ALL brands, even Ritz Carlton and Edition. That's new!
(2) You are guaranteed late checkout at far more properties now, including Ritz Carlton and Edition. That's new!
(3) You are guaranteed breakfast benefits and lounge access at far more properties now, including legacy Marriott resorts. That's new!
(4) As an Ambassador guest, you are eligible for Your24 to check in earlier or depart later as needed and available. That's new!
(5) You now have SNAs to help better ensure you an upgraded room or suite type. That's new!
(6) You now have available a lot more high service luxury level properties at which you can enjoy a full range of elite benefits, including St Regis, Luxury Collection, and W hotels. That's new!

It is true that Marriott wouldn't give you much reason to believe in the new Loyalty Program after the old one was so poor at relatively recognizing those with elite status. It's also true that Marriott didn't have as many higher level service brands that catered to the market that wants/demands better service.

But SPG was very different. And SPG's upscale and luxury brands were very different. And Marriott's new Loyalty Program has adopted almost every elite recognition that was already available in the SPG program. So there's hope.

Old Marriott didn't recognize elites very well and didn't give you a lot of the best benefits. SPG did. The new Marriott has been trying to woo and entice SPG elites by making the new Loyalty Program almost copy the benefits and privileges of SPG. That won't work unless the new Loyalty Program (and this new Ambassador service) delivers.

So give it a chance! The old sucked. But the new could be much better. You really don't have much to lose coming from the Marriott side, after all. As we like to tell gay youth--it gets better!

kmersh Sep 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30221626)
We legacy SPGers totally can understand why legacy Marriott elites might question the value of the Ambassador program: after all, your Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier status was largely ignored and "never amounted to anything," as you said.

However, the new Loyalty Program is already quite distinct from the old Marriott Rewards (and Ritz Carlton Rewards) programs. With Plat Premier status and Ambassador status now:

(1) You are guaranteed a suite upgrade based on availability at almost ALL brands, even Ritz Carlton and Edition. That's new!
(2) You are guaranteed late checkout at far more properties now, including Ritz Carlton and Edition. That's new!
(3) You are guaranteed breakfast benefits and lounge access at far more properties now, including legacy Marriott resorts. That's new!
(4) As an Ambassador guest, you are eligible for Your24 to check in earlier or depart later as needed and available. That's new!
(5) You now have SNAs to help better ensure you an upgraded room or suite type. That's new!
(6) You now have available a lot more high service luxury level properties at which you can enjoy a full range of elite benefits, including St Regis, Luxury Collection, and W hotels. That's new!

It is true that Marriott wouldn't give you much reason to believe in the new Loyalty Program after the old one was so poor at relatively recognizing those with elite status. It's also true that Marriott didn't have as many higher level service brands that catered to the market that wants/demands better service.

But SPG was very different. And SPG's upscale and luxury brands were very different. And Marriott's new Loyalty Program has adopted almost every elite recognition that was already available in the SPG program. So there's hope.

Old Marriott didn't recognize elites very well and didn't give you a lot of the best benefits. SPG did. The new Marriott has been trying to woo and entice SPG elites by making the new Loyalty Program almost copy the benefits and privileges of SPG. That won't work unless the new Loyalty Program (and this new Ambassador service) delivers.

So give it a chance! The old sucked. But the new could be much better. You really don't have much to lose coming from the Marriott side, after all. As we like to tell gay youth--it gets better!

I have zero doubt that recognition was far superior on the SPG side and our own experiences bare that out as we were upgraded to suites 3 out of 4 times staying at a Sheraton and my wife's suite upgrade percentage at Marriott (which she tracked on a spreadsheet) was 14 nights out of 1756 nights (since 1985 when she signed up for the program).

She has three upcoming stays already booked by her employer's travel agent and honestly she is not even sure if she should contact the Ambassador as she really does not need anything special and the company already is paying for her to stay in a Suite for one of the reservations.

Her experience with the Hyatt equivalent has been anything but good, including not following up on questions and twice failing even the simple task of asking the hotel to make dinning reservations.

I will pass along what you said regarding some potential for the new program, but I have to be honest she has had three stay since the new program started and in two case it was actually step backwards from what was offered prior (breakfast offering was one case) and the other case was at a Marriott where she usually got a room on the Concierge level, she was given a room facing a large HVAC unit and access to the Concierge lounge which a manager claimed was an upgrade now.

She was told by two Front Desk employees who know her by her first name (and she knows them personally, asks after their families, brings them Christmas presents, etc.) that according to the Room's manager an upgrade now is access to the Concierge lounge, granted no Ambassador was involved, but it was actually a step backwards at a hotel that she stays at all the time.

frenchft Sep 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Marriott is doing worst than expected.
I had a SPG ambassador who left the company on 31 august ... they assigned a new one and today I receive a new email like "welcome to ambassador" with a new one again.
Tired of such amateurs : they desserve us to avoid them like pledge. From my side I have burnt all my SPG points and have 90 nights planned before end of the year with Hyatt and hilton. 185 nights with SPG/Marriott is more than enough for this year, they are pathetic.

Here the email... crazy if you ask me to receive such a thing (congrats for the "personalised" service, no even able to send targeted email). Not even updated (we are in September), invitation only (sorry?), etc etc. Those people DO NOT DESERVE ANY OF OUR BUSINESS. PERIOD!

Dear FrenchFT,

I hope this email finds you well.

My name is xxxxxxxxx from ambassador service.

First, I want to congratulate you for staying 100+ nights with us in 2018! You are definitely in elite company and we’re thrilled to extend an exclusive invitation to you – custom-tailored service to provide exceptional one-on-one care beyond platinum concierge. Because you’ve achieved this milestone, I'm reaching out to you to introduce myself as your personal ambassador.

I’ll be your single point of contact for all of your needs, and I am backed by a global team of ambassadors who are ready to assist you 24/7. If you would like immediate assistance from an English-speaking member of our global team when I am out of office, please send an email to [email protected] or contact us by phone by dialling my number and pressing "0" when prompted, or by dialling +xxxxxxxxxxx to connect directly.

Whether it’s hotel reservations, trip planning, transportation, restaurant recommendations, special events, or assistance with your loyalty account, I am here for you. I will ensure our hotels are prepared to make each and every stay a fantastic experience, personalized just for you.

I will remain your ambassador contact through February 2020. I look forward to assisting you with all of your needs through this time.

As an ambassador service member I wanted to be sure you were aware that Marriott is committed to protecting the privacy and security of all our guests.

Ambassador service is designed to holistically deliver a highly personalized level of service in connection with your hotel stays. By becoming a member of ambassador service, you have elected to receive this personalized level of service, and we will ensure that the level of personalized service you receive during your future stays does not change unless you tell us otherwise.

If you would prefer to opt-out of a more personalized level of service, please let me know. In addition, beginning in August 2018 you will start to see a new consent option added to your check in experience. This consent allows you to opt-out of a more personalized level of service during your stay.

In either case, I will make every effort to ensure we are able make appropriate adjustments to honour your choices while still providing the highly personalized level of service that you have come to expect as an ambassador service member.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can do to help with anything. I have provided my contact information so you may phone or email me directly.

Again, congratulations on joining this elite invitation-only group of elite members. It is my pleasure to be your personal contact and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Have a lovely day

Warm regards,

frenchft Sep 19, 2018 2:03 pm

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0290930c1.jpeg
Ah and forget to mention the crappy powerpoint enclosed with ambassador picture and informations about her tastes, etc... (who cares???) and of course not up to date, it's a Starwood document )))
They are really bad... sorry to be rude, but this company is really a crap hole.

EuropeanPete Sep 19, 2018 2:38 pm

Is anyone being asked this new "consent" question when checking in as per the email? I'm not, but then I'm never recognized as Ambassador.

frenchft Sep 19, 2018 2:43 pm

So.. I called them... took them 20 minutes (on hold) to come back to me and telling me : "we don't know who is your ambassador, sounds that you have 2, one for each program".
They will escalade the bug but sounds that we got a marriott IT miracle here, they assign new ambassador in the marriott side to ex-SPG ambassador guests... creating confusing and mess.
Waiting for the supervisor email with explanation and "who is my ambassador" and will report here.

anyone in the same situation?

frenchft Sep 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30222748)
Is anyone being asked this new "consent" question when checking in as per the email? I'm not, but then I'm never recognized as Ambassador.

I guess it's a marriott stuff, SPG did not have such thing... and on the phone nobody was able to explain me what this is about...

bhrubin Sep 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30222768)
So.. I called them... took them 20 minutes (on hold) to come back to me and telling me : "we don't know who is your ambassador, sounds that you have 2, one for each program".
They will escalade the bug but sounds that we got a marriott IT miracle here, they assign new ambassador to ex-SPG ambassador guests...
Waiting for the supervisor email with explanation and "who is my ambassador" and will report here.

Sorry this happened to you. It again sounds more like a Marriott IT artifact from the system merge fiasco than anything to do directly yet with Ambassador service. Hopefully, the Ambassador service can help resolve it so you have more confidence in them for the future.

I know this IT switchover is frustrating. But I doubt stays at Hilton will offer anything even close to as good or and certainly not better. Hilton doesn’t even guarantee suite upgrades nor late checkout.

frenchft Sep 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30222785)

Sorry this happened to you. It again sounds more like a Marriott IT artifact from the system merge fiasco than anything to do directly yet with Ambassador service. Hopefully, the Ambassador service can help resolve it so you have more confidence in them for the future.

I know this IT switchover is frustrating. But I doubt stays at Hilton will offer anything even close to as good or and certainly not better. Hilton doesn’t even guarantee suite upgrades nor late checkout.

Well, I would say that since Marriott bought Starwood I have an almost 100% suite upgrade with Hilton as a diamond (mostly stays in Conrad and Hilton + Double tree in Europe), always got a late check out (very often 6pm in returning properties), free breakfast, some drink vouchers when no lounge, and very attractive promotions (X3 right now + 2500 Lufthansa miles per stay)...

for the next 3 / 4 months, I will follow this plan (with same stays in some beloved SPG properties of course) but I will not go further, I don't see any benefits to me (I spent hours dealing with missing points and stays since July and the promotion they start end of September is pathetic).

So I prefer to wait they fix their mess and bring back a decent promotion to give them back my business (and my employees too). I know it means nothing to them, but at least I shared the message with them that I'm not happy at all with this merger and how it is runs.

frenchft Sep 19, 2018 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30222785)

Well, it's an IT issue of course... but I guess the "manager" of the ambassador program should check things before send to guests... this email is not up to date, neither the bio, etc. IT send the things but there is someone who validate the content and segment to send... at least in serious companies.

hockeyinsider Sep 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30222625)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0290930c1.jpeg
Ah and forget to mention the crappy powerpoint enclosed with ambassador picture and informations about her tastes, etc... (who cares???) and of course not up to date, it's a Starwood document )))
They are really bad... sorry to be rude, but this company is really a crap hole.

Is she attractive?

bhrubin Sep 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Sexism isn't appropriate in any thread. Please stop.