FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

myko85 Aug 31, 2018 1:56 pm

You're not missing out on much. I've been SPG Ambassador for 2 years and her presence is negligible. Besides a monthly "Here your are following stays" email, there was really nothing different. Oftentimes it was faster to just call the SPG Plat line and ask them for assistance.

bhrubin Aug 31, 2018 2:18 pm

Ambassador status data point (and for regular guest) at the StR San Francisco:

Didn’t get Your24 approved pre-merge for 12 pm check in today. Arrived at 12:10 pm...had nice lunch in lobby bar. Got automated notification from new Marriott and SPG apps on iPad and Android that my (upgraded) Suite was ready—at 12:53 pm. A very nice surprise with very early check in....and also a nice surprise to see a new addition to the apps!

Also, the GM and hotel manager both stopped by to say hi and catch up. And I met the new food/beverage manager, as well (I had to flirt a little because he was so darn adorable).

helvetic Sep 2, 2018 1:27 pm

So… my Ambassador has had a clearly crazy workload and has been trying hard to help with a number of merger-related issues that sprang up. That said, he seems to be constrained by systems. The good news is that they can now help with Marriott-side things like attaching 7-night certificates, etc.

damon88 Sep 2, 2018 2:42 pm

Fortunately my Starriott conversion went pretty smoothly. My stay 8/17-8/19 took extra long to post but finally did—my SPG credit card points also posted belatedly— and a family points transfer SPG-SPG initiated 8/16 (had to wait for CC bonus points to post first) still has never arrived in my account but (fingers crossed) everything else looks OK. I should be getting points refunds for an October Prince de Galles & a November StR Princeville stay but I told my Ambassador to hold off a week or two before initiating in the hope things will be working better then. (She seemed very grateful I was willing to wait ). In addition I was able to get the SPG Amex Luxury card during the 3 day window to be eligible for the bonus (and already received it)

I have my first post 8/18 Marriott stay next week (at a legacy SPG property). Very interested in how PPE + A status will be recognized.

yeunganson Sep 3, 2018 2:15 am

This is my first time ever getting ambassador.

Where do you find the general ambassador email address. I don't see it on my app or on website login.

Do I call in the Marriott line to get this info? There seem to be a very long wait due to merger.

bhrubin Sep 3, 2018 9:37 am

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 30160761)
This is my first time ever getting ambassador.

Where do you find the general ambassador email address. I don't see it on my app or on website login.

Do I call in the Marriott line to get this info? There seem to be a very long wait due to merger.

I’d assume Marriott has new contact info for the program, as even my Ambassador contact info changed with the merged systems on Aug. 18. I therefore would wait until you are contacted via email by the Ambassador team before reaching out on your own.

I’m sure that Marriott wants to be sure that it has its systems corrected before it reaches out to new Ambassador guests. I already can imagine someone mistakenly indicated as an Ambassador level guest freaking out and insisting on keeping that status even though it wasn’t earned. I can only imagine Marriott wants to avoid that scenario at all costs.

bhrubin Sep 3, 2018 11:58 am

New data point: Ambassador status gets me specialty suite upgrade way in advance

Another data point for Ambassador STATUS (and not necessarily any direct action by an Ambassador):

The SLS Beverly Hills already has upgraded my paid entry level room for 2 nights in Oct to a SLS Suite—that’s a pretty special suite upgrade, and well beyond the standard suite pool.

FWIW, I had reached out directly to request an upgrade since I didn’t want to bother my Ambassador during this chaotic period. I had been to this hotel only once before, last June for a 1 night award stay. It turns out my Ambassador already had inquired for me about a suite upgrade, as well. My Ambassador was going to apply 2 SNAs for me tomorrow but told me today she wasn’t going to bother now—since I’m already taken care of.

I’d say the hotel is treating me extremely well...yet again. And it has everything to do with me being an Ambassador level guest.

EuropeanPete Sep 3, 2018 2:11 pm

Presumably the only way to know nowadays is to ask your Ambassador? I don’t think the new website gives any information about room type?

bhrubin Sep 3, 2018 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 30162825)
Presumably the only way to know nowadays is to ask your Ambassador? I don’t think the new website gives any information about room type?

When you have a legacy SPG booking and go the “View/Modify” link on Marriott.com, it does take you to the original starwoodhotels.com reservation booking which does show the room type. If you do this from the apps, they merely take you to Marriott.com to do the same thing,

The Marriott app on my phone did show my current StR stay upgraded suite type a few days prior to arrival—though that did disappear a day later. The SLS Suite is showing now on my SPG app on my phone, however—so there’s more hope.

So the functionality is there, even if the IT team hasn’t sorted it quite yet.

UA-NYC Sep 3, 2018 3:07 pm

My Ambassador let me know today that they are now allowed (or free) to start working on legacy Starwood reservations that are due points back

ac/elite Sep 3, 2018 3:23 pm

My ambassador seems to have disappeared post merger. I've had the same ambassador for years and in the past she's always responded within a few hours when I've emailed her during her office hours. If after hours, I'd always get a bounceback email saying she's out of office and either she gets back to me first thing the next day or sometimes even another ambassador answers my question overnight. I emailed her a week ago and didn't get an acknowledgement or bounceback. I followed up a couple days later to ask if she'd received my first email and haven't had a response to that one either. Her initials are BY. If anyone else here has her as your ambassador, have you had similar issues?

alphaod Sep 3, 2018 10:19 pm

I called customer service about a problem and lo-and-behold apparently my account is locked and only my ambassador can view my trips. I don't exactly have the best one; she never does any proactively and it seems it's always easier to just book myself, call the hotel, or call the Platinum support line.

So now I have to deal with my Ambassador? Seems it's gone backwards.

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 30163062)
My ambassador seems to have disappeared post merger. I've had the same ambassador for years and in the past she's always responded within a few hours when I've emailed her during her office hours. If after hours, I'd always get a bounceback email saying she's out of office and either she gets back to me first thing the next day or sometimes even another ambassador answers my question overnight. I emailed her a week ago and didn't get an acknowledgement or bounceback. I followed up a couple days later to ask if she'd received my first email and haven't had a response to that one either. Her initials are BY. If anyone else here has her as your ambassador, have you had similar issues?

My Ambassador has never been proactive in the first place.

porkie Sep 4, 2018 4:17 am

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 30163062)

I have exactly the same issue, sent already two follow up emails but did not receive any response or even acknowledgement of receiving my email. My ambassadors initials are MP, she's based in Ireland.

yeunganson Sep 4, 2018 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30161882)

I’m sure that Marriott wants to be sure that it has its systems corrected before it reaches out to new Ambassador guests. I already can imagine someone mistakenly indicated as an Ambassador level guest freaking out and insisting on keeping that status even though it wasn’t earned. I can only imagine Marriott wants to avoid that scenario at all costs.

I might be one of those groups that is unsure. I got one of those hidden Five Star with Ambassador status. So I am definitely going to try it out before the status thing goes away.

I reasoned there are few possibilities. The first one is it's a fluke and I got temporarily lucky. The second is Starwood valued my contribution with their committees and thus granted me a Marriott Five Star (a unlikely scenario but if true I am forever grateful). The final one is Marriott's Chinese lobbying team found out my extended family relationship with the communist government and this is a 3D chess and I am part of the family tool that I have no idea (possible but that means Marriott is that good...) Just like anything in China, I have no reliable information. The "lobbying" team in China of course took credit before the dust settles. Thus the relatives in question took such benefit into consideration in approving "stuff".... and I am somehow on the hook reciprocally for the cost of an all inclusive paid vacation as host of a relative family and likely going to cost me tens of thousands and probably need help from bank of dad.... I emailed Starwood Lurkers for clarifications but I got no response yet so the IT team must be still fixing things.

I guess I should just enjoy what I have while it lasts. I have an Asia trip this month and then a Europe and New York trip before year end. Let's see if this Five Star or Ambassador makes any difference.

bhrubin Sep 4, 2018 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 30167807)
I guess I should just enjoy what I have while it lasts. I have an Asia trip this month and then a Europe and New York trip before year end. Let's see if this Five Star or Ambassador makes any difference.

Sometimes, you just never know. I agree: enjoy the status while it lasts! If you get particularly great service or suite upgrades and feel comfortable enough to ask about the reasons why or what status they show you having, I'm sure many of us would appreciate hearing about it.

IME it matters more if you're staying at higher end hotels--but many have given me flack for having this opinion. If you don't mind me asking, what are the hotel brands at which you'll be staying in Asia, Europe, and New York?

Good luck!