Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by yeunganson

I reasoned there are few possibilities. The first one is it's a fluke and I got temporarily lucky. The second is Starwood valued my contribution with their committees and thus granted me a Marriott Five Star (a unlikely scenario but if true I am forever grateful). The final one is Marriott's Chinese lobbying team found out my extended family relationship with the communist government and this is a 3D chess and I am part of the family tool that I have no idea (possible but that means Marriott is that good...)
Others have reported the Five Star fluke but I can't say under your circumstances. I presume that if you actually have an Ambassador, you will receive communications about that.

As for the relationship with the PRC government, I think its very unlikely that's a factor in your Marriott status. If you do believe that might be the case, you may want to consult with an attorney before taking advantage of any of these benefits. Not sure where you normally live but if in Canada, you may want to read up on the CFPOA, if in the US, you may want to read up on the FCPA, or if in ROK, you may want to read on the Kim Young Ran Act . Bottom line, if Marriott knows of those family connections, I would be surprised if it helped you and, considering those relationships, you might want to sort it out rather than simply going with the flow.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:14 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I will post more details when I write my review but I am very pleased after just checking into the brand new Westin Carlsbad Resort near Legoland in San Diego.

A few interesting notes: When I booked our stay I actually booked at the Sheraton Carlsbad. I was very surprised when booking to see that the Suite I wanted was $250 but the Presidential Suite was only $303.50. I snagged it.

Despite all of my emails showing our room to be at the Sheraton- it turned out our room was actually in the brand new Westin a block away.

At check in the super nice FDC acknowledged my PPE+A status. I was curious enough to ask her what she actually saw on her screen and she said the code was “Platinum” but there was a notation added “by a person” that I was Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador. (I forgot to ask her if she saw my Lifetime status)

She told me that although they were a Resort and not obligated to offer a 4 pm check out that in recognition of my status and because the room was not committed the next day, she would be happy to extend a 4 PM check out. This really helped make our stay since we can visit all day at Legoland without having to store our luggage.

The new hotel is really nice btw- a HUGE upgrade from the old Sheraton. We are definitely one of the first guests to stay in this room. The almost 1000 SF Presidential Suite is on the top (4th floor) with an expansive private ocean view deck looking over Legoland. It has spacious rooms and two lavish full baths. The Westin is now roughly in the same location as the old Sheraton-right across from the private entrance to Legoland.

I feel as if my true tests of the new Starriott program will come when I stay at a legacy Marriott property. But for my first stay post official merger I am really pleased.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
I've now stayed at 3 Marriott hotels (all legacy Marriott) since the merger. At two of them, I've asked the FDC's what they show my status as. In both cases, they told me that they see me as "Platinum Premier" -- with no mention of Ambassador. When I log into my Marriott site, I show LTPP as well as current-year PPE+A. In my current hotel, where I've stayed most of my nights this year, I pressed a little bit more, as I know the FDC here. Still no recognition of Ambassador status.

One of these days.....

-mvitale
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:05 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Others have reported the Five Star fluke but I can't say under your circumstances. I presume that if you actually have an Ambassador, you will receive communications about that.

As for the relationship with the PRC government, I think its very unlikely that's a factor in your Marriott status.
Bottom line, if Marriott knows of those family connections, I would be surprised if it helped you and, considering those relationships, you might want to sort it out rather than simply going with the flow.
I hope I don't have to deal with the communist government. I really don't like them on how they are treating Hong Kong.

The consequences of being a government official in China are serious. It's like the game of thrones, you win or you die trying.

In Canada and USA, you need proof beyond a reasonable doubt on everything criminal. Luckily my immediate family isn't in the communist government nor do I deal with any Chinese government directly.

For those who have close family members in government work in China, like whatever law in North America is minor if you're parents are caught in a purge and place in house arrest and you're summoned back. You're career, your wealth and everything can end in a single day.

​​​I think I am in the clear so far. I emailed Marriott ask for clarification. Nothing happened yet so I'll just enjoy while. I can. It's possible it's a fluke or my good contributions while my time at SPG and that would be my working assumption. Probably follow up again in a months time. If the status gets revoked, I'll just relay to my dad to relay further that it was a fluke and let those relatives and the Marriott's lobby team in China deal with the fallout - I'll be off the hook on any cultural debts.

​​​​​​
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mvitale
I've now stayed at 3 Marriott hotels (all legacy Marriott) since the merger. At two of them, I've asked the FDC's what they show my status as. In both cases, they told me that they see me as "Platinum Premier" -- with no mention of Ambassador. When I log into my Marriott site, I show LTPP as well as current-year PPE+A. In my current hotel, where I've stayed most of my nights this year, I pressed a little bit more, as I know the FDC here. Still no recognition of Ambassador status.

One of these days.....

-mvitale
Weird. I've been recognized as a platinum premier ambassador at four hotels since 8/18, but Marriott.com and the Marriott application no longer show me as ambassador, only platinum premier.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
IME it matters more if you're staying at higher end hotels--but many have given me flack for having this opinion.
i don't think you get flack for this opinion....many, including myself, agree that higher end hotels will be able to do a lot more for an ambassador guest than other hotels....i believe you get flack because you refuse to accept that the ambassador program has many flaws & at the end of the day it all depends on how good your ambassador is & not how good or luxurious the property is....believe me, i have had average experiences at st. regis & luxury collection properties despite having an ambassador....
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:51 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
i don't think you get flack for this opinion....many, including myself, agree that higher end hotels will be able to do a lot more for an ambassador guest than other hotels....i believe you get flack because you refuse to accept that the ambassador program has many flaws & at the end of the day it all depends on how good your ambassador is & not how good or luxurious the property is....believe me, i have had average experiences at st. regis & luxury collection properties despite having an ambassador....
Bolding mine. Forgive me, but I don't see how the two statements highlighted above do not contradict each other?

If you first agree with me that "higher end hotels will be able to do a lot more for an ambassador guest than other hotels" then it's very difficult for me to understand how you also can say "it all depends on how good your ambassador is & not how good or luxurious the property is." I find those two statements to be completely at odds with each other.

The quality of the Ambassador clearly can be a factor. I've conceded the point many times. Ambassadors not replying or following through are examples of bad Ambassador quality.

The quality of the hotels executing Ambassador requests also clearly can be a factor--and one with which you first agree above and then confusingly dismiss. I'm sorry to say that makes no sense to me.

I've had average and disappointing experiences at StR, Luxury Collection, and W hotels, as well. My very disappointing stays at the StR Washington and StR Dubai (no longer with StR), the Liberty Boston, and the W Boston immediately come to mind. I've also had disappointing stays and experiences at non-higher end hotels. of course; the LM Philadelphia and Sheraton Times Square come to mind as recent examples.

To me, those fails and disappointments are usually about hotels not executing particularly well (not only on Ambassador requests but also on the day-to-day expected service tasks and actions that highlight better managed and better operating hotels). To you and many others, such failures and disappointments are usually the fault of the Ambassador. On that, we will have to agree to disagree, I guess.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Bolding mine. Forgive me, but I don't see how the two statements highlighted above do not contradict each other?

If you first agree with me that "higher end hotels will be able to do a lot more for an ambassador guest than other hotels" then it's very difficult for me to understand how you also can say "it all depends on how good your ambassador is & not how good or luxurious the property is." I find those two statements to be completely at odds with each other.

The quality of the Ambassador clearly can be a factor. I've conceded the point many times. Ambassadors not replying or following through are examples of bad Ambassador quality.

The quality of the hotels executing Ambassador requests also clearly can be a factor--and one with which you first agree above and then confusingly dismiss. I'm sorry to say that makes no sense to me.
it may make no sense to you but the explanation is pretty simple....i said higher end hotels can offer a lot more....i never said they offer this to all ambassador guests, i just said they have the ability to do so....but if you don't have a good ambassador then it doesn't matter whether you stay at a st. regis or an aloft....you won't get the level of service you expect out of the ambassador program....

in my first year in the ambassador program i had to make a last minute business trip on my birthday....i was staying at a run of the mill airport four points....i asked my ambassador to make the reservation a day before i had to leave....she herself noted that i was traveling on my birthday & asked me if my wife was going to accompany me....i told her it was just going to be me & i was pretty disappointed to be traveling alone on my birthday....i wasn't expecting anything when i got to the hotel but when i got to the front desk & handed over my id, the agent asked me to wait & went into the back office....about a minute later 4 hotel employees came out with balloons singing happy birthday....i was upgraded to their best suite, had a cake, champagne, birthday decorations all over the room & a card from my ambassador wishing me a happy birthday....i also got an email from her wishing me & asking me if everything at the hotel was up to the mark....

fast forward many years & my wife & i were staying at a luxury collection property where we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary....i had pointed this out to my ambassador & asked him to let the property know that we were celebrating a special occasion....i had booked an entry level suite & attached suite nights to upgrade to a better suite....i had further told the ambassador that i was looking to get upgraded to a particular suite....there were 4 suite types in the upgrade pool & i made sure i only selected the one that we wanted to be upgraded to....5 days before our stay the suite nights cleared, not to the suite we wanted but to another one that i had not selected....i asked my ambassador how that happened & it turned out that on his own he ignored my request & selected all 4 suite types to ensure we get upgraded....we couldn't cancel the suite nights without cancelling the reservation & the rate had increased significantly for me to justify cancelling & re-booking again....so basically thanks to my ambassador we wasted 5 suite nights on a room we didn't want....i then asked my ambassador to request the property to further upgrade us if the higher suite was still available when we checked in....at the end of the day we got the same lower suite that was confirmed through suite nights....on the day of our anniversary there was a small cake delivered to our room....nothing more, nothing less....

on the day we were checking out one of the managers came over to me & thanked me for being an ambassador level guest....we got to talking while i was waiting for my car to arrive & i expressed my disappointment at the fact that the property could not do more for me besides delivering a small cake to our room....he apologized for this & asked me why i had not asked my ambassador for some special requests....i told him that i had & he seemed very surprised....he said that all ambassador requests are approved by him & the only requests he received were for us to be upgraded to a suite (not the particular suite we requested but just an upgrade to a suite) & for a cake to be delivered to the room....he felt bad & offered us a complimentary ride to the airport in one of their luxury hotel cars....there is a chance that he was not telling the truth but given the service fails i had previously had with this particular ambassador i am tempted to believe the manager....

so once again, i will stick to my 2 comments that seem to be confusing you....higher end properties have the ability to do a lot more for their ambassador guests but at the end of the day it does not matter how good or luxurious the property is if you don't have a good ambassador....

I've had average and disappointing experiences at StR, Luxury Collection, and W hotels, as well. My very disappointing stays at the StR Washington and StR Dubai (no longer with StR), the Liberty Boston, and the W Boston immediately come to mind. I've also had disappointing stays and experiences at non-higher end hotels. of course; the LM Philadelphia and Sheraton Times Square come to mind as recent examples.

To me, those fails and disappointments are usually about hotels not executing particularly well (not only on Ambassador requests but also on the day-to-day expected service tasks and actions that highlight better managed and better operating hotels). To you and many others, such failures and disappointments are usually the fault of the Ambassador. On that, we will have to agree to disagree, I guess.
no they are not....ambassadors not responding in a timely manner, attaching the wrong suite nights, giving incorrect information, failing to inform the property of a special request, etc are the fault of the ambassadors....these issues have nothing to do with the properties nor their execution....but to you these failures & disappointments are not the fault of the ambassador & are somehow the fault of the hotel or because the guest is not staying at a higher end property....on that, we will have to agree to disagree as well....
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Have any new Ambassador status holders been contacted after 8/18?
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Have any new Ambassador status holders been contacted after 8/18?
Not yet.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
nothing here either
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: FB PFL, ALL Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, EK PLAT, Air Caraďbes Diam, SQ PPS, ̷IHG Diam
Originally Posted by mvitale
Not yet.
no activity at all recorded : none of my new stays and no change in my status, and thus no contact with ambassador ( a service I had six years ago and that I lost ). Some of the errors post 18/9 and concerning my activity pre 18/9 still wait for corrections.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
98 nights and 26k spending recorded on apps.

Checked out from a 2 nights stay this afternoon.
Will see how long until I was assigned an Ambassador.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: FB PFL, ALL Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, EK PLAT, Air Caraďbes Diam, SQ PPS, ̷IHG Diam
Originally Posted by kaizen7
98 nights and 26k spending recorded on apps.

Checked out from a 2 nights stay this afternoon.
Will see how long until I was assigned an Ambassador.
interested to know how long it will take for your stay to be credited. I still wait for a three nights stay ended August 22 to appear on my account.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
I qualified for AMB last week and still haven't heard anything from them... Fingers crossed it'll happen next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.