Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:11 am

Did all members who were PP just prior to the migration get PP with Ambassador? App and site now show that i have ambassador service. Maybe a soft landing for just this year for PPs?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by Michilander
Thanks, porkie.
no call for me in the past or this year (was just 75 last year), just an online survey.
except this I would say I prefer to email platinum concierge than ambassador, they are faster and more efficient...
overall, poor to very poor experience.
Based on other guests, it's a win a lose, depending of your ambassador. (-
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by swintec
Did all members who were PP just prior to the migration get PP with Ambassador? App and site now show that i have ambassador service. Maybe a soft landing for just this year for PPs?
Not sure, but as an additional data point, I did also get bumped up from legacy MR PP to PP with ambassador. I have $16k spend (104 BIB nights) this year.

I have Lifetime PP (grandfathered from Lifetime P with 17 years as platinum).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Chewie
Not sure, but as an additional data point, I did also get bumped up from legacy MR PP to PP with ambassador. I have $16k spend (104 BIB nights) this year.

I have Lifetime PP (grandfathered from Lifetime P with 17 years as platinum).
My wife was Plat, not PP, is a few thousand points short of old LTP/new LTPP, but should easily make that by the end of the year. She got Ambassador and the app is showing a spend of about $16.5K. Quite a few stays still booked this year, so I don't know if they looked at that, too, when making the Ambassador decisions.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by frenchft
Based on other guests, it's a win a lose, depending of your ambassador. (-
This was my experience as well based on my team of 4 and myself who were all 100+ night travelers. Some got little gifts left out such a chocolates and welcome drinks, some got less.

I didn't really ever ask for anything so my experience with the program is anecdotal from my team. I'm more of a low maintenance hotel stayer (rarely even need housekeeping).
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Richard Yu
Lifetime Plat w/ Marriott and just got my Ambassador status there after the merger with SPG. New to this whole Ambassador business -- for you SPG-ers out there, what can an Ambassador help me with that the hotel concierge can't?
Congrats to you and everyone else who now has gained Ambassador status!

While there are some unfortunate exchanges by those who don’t want to see any value with the Ambassador program, there also are many data points and information shared of positive Ambassador experiences in the Marriott Ambassador thread that I began to help explain what is possible:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...periences.html

I’ve had my Ambassador now for several years and adore her. She helps streamline all of my hotel requests, follows up as needed or whenever I specifically ask about any hotel requests, and generally acts as a one stop place for answers and to get things done.

Ambassadors set things in motion with their requests, and hotels most often execute those requests. Some hotels execute better than others (luxury hotels execute better more often than not than upscale hotels, upscale hotels execute better more often than not than mid scale hotels, etc.), of course.

Having an Ambassador also has elevated my stays with regard to service, meaning I’m usually treated a lot better throughout my hotels stays than I otherwise might be, especially as a first time guest and especially at better/nicer hotels that already know how to devliver on good VIP service. Unlike legacy Marriott hotels where status recognition is almost entirely about the check in experience alone being made nicer, my legacy SPG Ambassador recognition has extended to better service and recognition by the entire hotel staff—from the front desk to housekeeping, by the concierge team, by restaurant and room service, by parking valets and bell staff, all of whom might actually know my name and know I’m a VIP—that treat me better and as a VIP far more than might be the case for the otherwise average hotel Platinum guest or returning guest.

My Ambassador also has put in requests for suite upgrades that have resulted in some of the most incredible suites that one might imagine. Obviously staying at luxury hotels that usually have more suites proportionally will help in that regard. I’ve been upgraded often into the higher suites, even spectacular specialty and one-off suites, at some of the nicest hotels in the legacy SPG portfolio—including the StR Bora Bora, the Gritti Palace Venice, the Imperial Vienna, the Prince de Galles Paris, the StR Punta Mita, the StR San Francisco, the StR Bahia Beach Puerto Rico, the Nines Portland, the StR Princeville, the Excelsior Gallia Milan, the US Grant San Diego, etc.

Ambassador service to me is a lot like the St Regis butler service—always available to do great things for you, but not everyone understands the value nor takes full advantage of it at every hotel...and not every butler is as accomplished or capable as another! Also, not every hotel executes butler service as well as another (or even has as much experience with VIP butler services in the first place).

I hope you all enjoy the Ambassador experience as much as I and numerous other have!

P.S. I’ve always said in the past that those who spent more with SPG and who stayed at the nicer SPG hotels were also those who had the best Ambassador experiences. The new $20K spending requirement suggests that I was correct in that assessment, even if many are also invited to the Ambassador level without having yet met that spending requirement. In the past, I believe that some who had Ambassadors didn’t get the same excellent treatment that I did (and that many others did, too) simply because they stayed at more midscale/non fulll service hotels that don’t execute VIP service so well and/or because they didn’t spend enough to get the better attention that some others of us did. Whether that pattern holds true in this new Marriott environment or not, I cannot say. Only time will reveal that!
cfischer, estedman and txpenny like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 19, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Ambassador service to me is a lot like the St Regis butler service—always available to do great things for you, but not everyone understands the value nor takes full advantage of it at every hotel...and not every butler is as accomplished or capable as another!
I agree with this, my main issue is not good or bad, when they do something related to the property it always impact positively the stay.
My main issues are :
- Reactivity
- Reactivity
- Reactivity

Most of the time they come back to me when I have already sort it out by myself.
I would even say that for most of the classic needs, the platinum concierge email is far more responsive.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
More data and tea leaf reading

Before the changeover it was clear that I would be LTPP (I was 3xLTP already). It was also clear that I would be at least PP75 (I have over 75 nights). What was not clear was whether I would be PP100+Ambassador (I have over 100 nights, but it was unclear how spend would be calculated).

Since the change it looks like I am PP100+Ambassador. Based on how the information displays on the website and the app, I have a few theories about what is going on that may be helpful.

App:

What I think may be going on:
  1. While there is a decent chance many of us with less than $20K spend have received PP100+Ambassador in error, I don't think this is the case. I think that Marriott may have doled out an unadvertised "Taste of Ambassador" to legacy PPs. The datum supporting this idea is that on the website, though it shows me as PP100+Ambassador, it clearly says I should enjoy this service through January 2019. If I had already reached $20K in spend, I would have earned PP100+Ambassador for ALL of 2019 (running through January, 2020).
  2. Another possible explanation of the above is that Marriott may have doled out some PP100+Ambassador status based on last year's spend, which would explain why it expires in January.
  3. An additional data point supporting either of the above theories is that on the app it says that I need to spend $7,255 to RENEW PP100+Ambassador. This means that though I have PP100+Ambassador now, I have not yet earned it for next year.
  4. I don't think that the $20K/100 nights displayed on the website is a tally of where I stand and that they stop counting when the goal is reached. I think it is a static image displaying the requirements for PP100+Ambassador.
  5. Another important thing we can learn from the display on the app is that it appears that Marriott is counting spend from up to three rooms, probably using base points earned for their calculations. I reached this conclusion based on the fact that my real spend is over $36K, but Marriott is only crediting me with just over $12K. I believe this is because they are only counting three of my rooms (I tend to book and pay for 6-15 rooms).
bhrubin and txpenny like this.

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 19, 2018 at 11:46 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:49 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Thanks @lexdevil for your data point and suggested explanation for your 2018 Ambassador status ending now at the end of Jan 2019. Your explanation sounds reasonable and straightforward to me!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
App showing 0 spend

I just tried logging into the Marriott app after the update. It shows the correct number of nights but 0USD SPENT.
Nights This Year 79
Spending This Year USD 0

I have 0 nights redeemed with Marriott this year so all of my 79 nights are paid at an average rate of 200.

Is someone else having this problem ?
I hope that the problem will correct itself and I don’t have to call. My spg app shows the correct number of nights and spending for my legacy SPG stays.

Last edited by badm96; Aug 19, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by badm96
I just tried logging into the Marriott app after the update. It shows the correct number of nights but 0USD SPENT.
Nights This Year 79
Spending This Year USD 0

I have 0 nights redeemed with Marriott this year so all of my 79 nights are paid at an average rate of 200.

Is someone else having this problem ?
I hope that the problem will correct itself and I don’t have to call. My spg app shows the correct number of nights and spending.
The Marriott app only shows your legacy Marriott activity for the moment; your SPG app only shows your legacy SPG activity for the moment. Marriott's loyalty merger hasn't quite yet allowed for the start of us all merging those accounts. (Our previous linking of MR and SPG accounts evidently is not the same thing now as merging our updated accounts.)

So it is forthcoming for that functionality to be available. Presumably, the ability to merge our accounts may appear and be available for us sometime on Monday or at least sometime this week. Time will tell, but be patient!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SPG app also doesn’t have SPG spend yet either
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
SPG app also doesn’t have SPG spend yet either
My SPG app shows my SPG spend (over $32K).

You probably need to update your SPG app and then log in using the new SPG number that Marriott has assigned you. (It should walk you through that process, though I did it using the web browser first.)
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
My SPG app shows my SPG spend (over $32K).

You probably need to update your SPG app and then log in using the new SPG number that Marriott has assigned you. (It should walk you through that process, though I did it using the web browser first.)
have done it and logged out and in. No dice still. Soon enough I’m sure.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT Lifetime; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime; HHonors Gold
The Marriott app only shows your legacy Marriott activity for the moment; your SPG app only shows your legacy SPG activity for the moment. Marriott's loyalty merger hasn't quite yet allowed for the start of us all merging those !
Not concerned with my SPG spend or nights. My concern is my legacy Marriott spend, which should show up in the Marriott app. Legacy Marriott spend should be 16,000 but shows 0.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.