Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danola
I am reading conflicting info on wether AC properties will provide brekkie for Plats. Please clarify.

This chart:

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

says it will be up to you, exactly like at Courtyard.

Ie, you'll get your choice of 500 points or a $10 F&B credit for two. If you choose the latter, you'll get your choice of using it for breakfast or something else. If you can't figure out a breakfast for less than $10, you'll only get part ($10) coverage for the breakfast.

At the Courtyard Bistro, it's easy to get breakfast for under $10 if all you want for breakfast is the yogurt granola fruit parfait. If you want more, it's a bit more iffy.

I'm not familiar enough with the typical AC breakfast costs to know how far $10 will get you there.

Another thing that is unclear yet is whether one person can use two $10 F&B credits for themselves, if they have no guest (whether by making a reservation for 2 even though you're traveling solo, of whatever). I doubt Marriott will spell that out; I suspect we'll have to wait for datapoints, which can't come until after August.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Horace
Platinum at AC Hotels and Courtyard (U.S & Canada):

— Today's program: 400 bonus points AND a Food or Beverage Amenity. At AC Hotels, the F & B Amenity tends to be a single &10 F & B credit per stay. At Couryard, the F & B Amenity tends to be a single item from the market pantry, with restrictions. These are in addition to points.

— New program (beginning August 2018): 500 bonus points OR $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily. Notice the word "OR" instead of "AND".

For one guest staying one night, today's program can be better.

For two guests in a room, and for any stays of more than one night, the new program is likely to be better.

It remains to be seen if the "$10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest" is sufficient for breakfast (something like a breakfast sandwich, coffee, and juice), especially at AC Hotels and Courtyard properties in expensive markets, such as San Francisco and New York. I would hope there will always be breakfast options that can be fully covered with the Platinum benefit.
From my experience, AC hotels offer a full buffet breakfast, or nothing, priced at $15. At least the extra $5 will get points.

Last edited by Points Scrounger; Jun 29, 2018 at 8:45 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am still very annoyed that there are no lounge alternative options under the SPG brands and for Marriott, the US column has no alternative if there is no lounge like Europe has.
The Westin I stay at has no lounge but the Sheraton half a mile away does (with a non-lounge Le Meridien next to it but gives access to Sheraton lounge). The Westin is much closer to my work but I have to sacrifice the points to get the breakfast. So less points for me than at the Sheraton.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am still very annoyed that there are no lounge alternative options under the SPG brands and for Marriott, the US column has no alternative if there is no lounge like Europe has.
The Westin I stay at has no lounge but the Sheraton half a mile away does (with a non-lounge Le Meridien next to it but gives access to Sheraton lounge). The Westin is much closer to my work but I have to sacrifice the points to get the breakfast. So less points for me than at the Sheraton.
Just a different brand standard but obviously, from a purely objective standpoint when staying at a non-resort property, the benefits at a Marriott/Renn/Autograph for Plats or above are better than those at a Westin/Sheraton/W -- on the Marriott side, I can get breakfast, a light dinner, and a $10 voucher (or points) for drinks. On the SPG side, I can get breakfast or points. Of course, the value is different at resorts where SPG had better benefits.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Just a different brand standard but obviously, from a purely objective standpoint when staying at a non-resort property, the benefits at a Marriott/Renn/Autograph for Plats or above are better than those at a Westin/Sheraton/W -- on the Marriott side, I can get breakfast, a light dinner, and a $10 voucher (or points) for drinks. On the SPG side, I can get breakfast or points. Of course, the value is different at resorts where SPG had better benefits.
Actually, you have a very subjective viewpoint, not an objective one.

I have had no shortage of great breakfasts at Westins and Ws (admittedly US Sheratons fall short) - and usually they are more than just the stated continental variety.

Also, Sheratons, and ~1/2 of Westins have a lounge...where you can get breakfast, a light dinner, and still keep your points (at 3x the value of Marriott's).

Marriott M Clubs are very nice (though in the minority at this point) but many of us don't want to eat in a zoo of a lounge w/often mediocre offerings.

As often stated, just because lounges are important to Marriott folks doesn't mean they are important to Starwood ones.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Jun 30, 2018 at 6:54 pm
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
and a $10 voucher (or points) for drinks.
Shouldn't that read, "drink," in the singular? At what hotel can you get more than one drink (other than soft drinks) for $10?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:28 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
One of the things I liked about Marriott several years ago was that the Platinum Welcome Amenity did not require "trading off" other elite benefits. It was just a cool little amenity - for me, a bowl of mixed nuts and a half-bottle of red wine. Although it was usually really cheap wine, I still appreciated it. Occasionally a property would shock me by providing a full bottle of a local wine that was fit for human consumption.

Then I dropped to Gold and kind of forgot about. But on August 1, I'll be LTPP, so I briefly got excited about the amenity again - only to realize that it appears that it's now a trade-off for other benefits in most cases. Is that right? Specifically, I'd have to trade breakfast for the welcome amenity - if the welcome amenity is even an option at all.

Whole thing is confusing...
While Breakfast was a choice at SPG properties, if you were staying at most Sheratons, thee was no need to pick Breakfast because there was usually a lounge and if there was one it was always open 7 days a week. I vastly prefer the say SPG / Sheraton did it to the way Marriott did it with no breakfast at Courtyards and no breakfast at some important full service Marriotts on weekends.

YMMV.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Maybe I'm not a stickler for details or too impatient to deep dive this, but it seems for the most part it is business as usual with a added $10 voucher at CY (and those others I've never stayed at).

As someone else noted, $10 probably does not cover a breakfast at CY.

Oh, and breakfast at most CY's is not too good. But it's free, I'll take it. I try to avoid CY's if I can anyway (can't stand the sideways bed/TV).
Old Jul 2, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
With the benefit at CY, AC, Moxy reading as "$10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily", does this mean it's really $20 daily if you're staying with another person? If your companion is the kind of person that never wakes up in time for breakfast, I suppose it'd be possible to get a decent breakfast by using the whole $20 yourself if you just charge it to the room?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
With the benefit at CY, AC, Moxy reading as "$10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily", does this mean it's really $20 daily if you're staying with another person? If your companion is the kind of person that never wakes up in time for breakfast, I suppose it'd be possible to get a decent breakfast by using the whole $20 yourself if you just charge it to the room?
Hope you are right, but I doubt it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Not sure how that's any different than the standard breakfast for 2 / lounge access for 2 per room?
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see from the chart that now Autograph Collection resorts get free breakfast? Am I reading this right? That would be a great benefit at the Mauna Kea, one of my favorite places to stay!
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I see from the chart that now Autograph Collection resorts get free breakfast? Am I reading this right? That would be a great benefit at the Mauna Kea, one of my favorite places to stay!
Except some properties will take advantage of the lack of a breakfast definition and, as a result, only offer toast, coffee and muffins.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jul 3, 2018 at 5:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:50 am

I haven't seen it posted yet, so here's what's supposed to happen when the lounge is closed (and the lounge breakfast can't be provided because of that):

https://members.marriott.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/MAKHAR18008_TBOP_Microsite_Platinum-Elite_Lounge-Access_Final.pdf

Basically it says: breakfast in restaurant for guest +1 or 750 points per day.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Yes lets wait and see whether it's $10 at the Copper bar which gets you a muffin or the continental spread at the Manta, in which case will they allow upgrades to the full buffet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.