Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Jun 29, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We just stayed a week at the Aruba Renaissance. Continental breakfast offered for two adults at either Fresco or Aquarius. $6.00 upcharge for full buffet. They do offer a great breakfast on the private island. However that is full price and no credit given for continental.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
OK, that is crystal clear.
Well, one would think this is crystal clear, but that is debatable. We just stayed 2 nights at the Marriott Houston Medical Center Courtyard by Marriott Houston Medical Center/NRG Park. Spent $21 at breakfast each day. The first breakfast was in the folio I was emailed overnight on the day of departure (and before the 2nd breakfast). It posted as $11. I messaged through the app that $10 of credit was missing and they said that they fixed it.

At check out, the front desk person mentioned the app conversation. I asked if we were ok for breakfast today and she said yes. On the way out of town, I look at the revised folio that was emailed and I was charged $11 again for the 2nd breakfast. I reached out via the app and was told that I misunderstood the benefit. I mentioned 4.3c in the Terms & Conditions, sent the link to the T&C, and quoted the specific ** text. I was told "I see how it looks with it having a ' + ' in from of the 1. However it's $10 per day not including a extra $10 for an additional guest." I again quoted parted of the ** text and said it was a direct quote from the T&C, but they decided to not reply.

I've reached out to Bonvoy via Twitter and we will see if they will make good or not.

Last edited by wcj1; Jul 7, 2019 at 8:29 am Reason: fixing the hotel name
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by wcj1
Well, one would think this is crystal clear, but that is debatable. We just stayed 2 nights at the Marriott Houston Medical Center. Spent $21 at breakfast each day.
Was the lounge closed?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite

We just stayed 2 nights at the Marriott Houston Medical Center. Spent $21 at breakfast each day. The first breakfast was in the folio I was emailed overnight on the day of departure (and before the 2nd breakfast). It posted as $11.

Did you stay at the Houston Marriott Medical Center/Museum District?

Or did you stay at the Courtyard by Marriott Houston Medical Center/NRG Park?

The former is branded as a Marriott Hotel. The latter is branded as a Courtyard by Marriott. The benefits for Platinum Elite (and higher) vary by brand. See the Wiki at the top of this thread.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:25 am

Sorry for the typo. It was the Courtyard.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Sorry for the typo. It was the Courtyard.
then for two people in the same room, you should receive a $20 per day credit.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:37 pm

Yes, I know, but the hotel disagreed and pointing to the T&C did not help.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Yes, I know, but the hotel disagreed and pointing to the T&C did not help.
I'd encourage you to consider a couple of approaches for a few minutes

1. Post a review on TripAdvisor that they didn't comply.
2. Contact someone from Island Hospitality who manages the property to complain. Complaining to someone at the management company will highlight the issue -- get your $10 back and likely result in broad communication. Hard to tell but I'd guess Wendy Blaas has responsibility over Houston since she's in Dallas. Her email is at the website below. Keep your email short and ask for the proper credit and the property to be trained on the program.

https://islandhospitality.com/executive-team/

https://islandhospitality.com/team/wendy-blass/
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:10 pm

If I choose breakfast+1 at check-in but later find I wasn't able to use it (e.g. got up late after breakfast time), can i go back and opt for the 750 points?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:55 am

I've reached out to Bonvoy via Twitter and we will see if they will make good or not.
I did not receive a direct reply that this has been resolved, but I did receive a $10 credit back to my Amex a couple of days after my DM.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ntamayo
If I choose breakfast+1 at check-in but later find I wasn't able to use it (e.g. got up late after breakfast time), can i go back and opt for the 750 points?
Granted this was at Hilton not Marriott, but the one time I tried doing that I was told by the hotel clerk that it was possible, but the points never came through.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:58 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
question: breakfast when lounge closed?

I am staying at a Marrott in Canada on the weekend when the lounge is closed for hot food. Am I entitled breakfast in the restaurant along with points for my welcome amenity? Reading the TCs it says this is the case at a Courtyard, but nothing about Marriott. This seems insane because Marriott is considered higher end. What are yall's experiences in North America Marriotts? Do many just give the breakfast or is that not the case? Also, with the $10/person/day f+b credit, can the credits be banked over days for room service? I stopped taking the f+b once I found out (too late) that I could not use it for booze at the bar in Onterrible.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cur
I am staying at a Marrott in Canada on the weekend when the lounge is closed for hot food. Am I entitled breakfast in the restaurant along with points for my welcome amenity? Reading the TCs it says this is the case at a Courtyard, but nothing about Marriott. This seems insane because Marriott is considered higher end. What are yall's experiences in North America Marriotts? Do many just give the breakfast or is that not the case? Also, with the $10/person/day f+b credit, can the credits be banked over days for room service? I stopped taking the f+b once I found out (too late) that I could not use it for booze at the bar in Onterrible.
  1. Marriott et al, United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per day
  2. No

James
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:29 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i was at a canadian marriott airport property, on a weekend stay, with hot food at the lounge closed friday saturday and maybe sunday. i was told by some shift manager that i can take 1000 points AND breakfast in restaurant OR 750 points and that is the new policy. so it seems policy of an inferior property is applying to slightly nicer properties, or this property just does this purely out of goodwill.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cur
i was at a canadian marriott airport property, on a weekend stay, with hot food at the lounge closed friday saturday and maybe sunday. i was told by some shift manager that i can take 1000 points AND breakfast in restaurant OR 750 points and that is the new policy. so it seems policy of an inferior property is applying to slightly nicer properties, or this property just does this purely out of goodwill.
It's not a "policy of an inferior property is applying to slightly nicer properties," nor is it "purely out of goodwill." It's simply a Marriott Hotel providing the published benefits for Platinum Elite (and higher) for the Marriott Hotels brand.

At non-resort properties branded as Marriott Hotels, Autograph Collection, Delta Hotels, JW Marriott, and Renaissance, breakfast is a function of Guaranteed Lounge Access, which is separate from the Guaranteed Platinum Elite (and higher) Welcome Gift.

At these brands, if the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, the member can choose 750 points OR breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. An ever-changing list of around 20 hotels identified in the T&Cs provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of this choice. Many Delta Hotels properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an approved alternative.

The benefits above are in addition to the Platinum Elite Welcome Gift — a choice of 1,000 Points per stay OR U.S. $10 food and beverage credit per stay. At least, that's what it is in the United States, Canada, and Europe. Elsewhere in the world, the second choice is a food and beverage amenity per stay.

But that's not how it works at resort properties of these brands, nor at the other 25 of Marriott's 30 brands.

See the Wiki at the top of this thread for a quick overview of hotels grouped into six categories. The Wiki doesn't repeat every detail of the T&Cs, but it should set reasonable expectations.

Last edited by Horace; Jul 27, 2019 at 7:35 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.