Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's new "breakfast offering" explained

Marriott's new "breakfast offering" explained

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 24, 19, 8:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Horace
Wiki Link
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite (and higher)

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice. Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Mιridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Mιridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element **
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) **
— Residence Inn
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments / ExecuStay
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old May 12, 19, 2:43 am
  #616  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,335
I wont be surprised if they do that.

If hotel continuously struggling to provide such benefits for the top 3 tiers then easiest solution will be culling the lowest tier (plat 50)

with that move, hotels supposedly free up their resources more and if they do have excess capacity and still feel generous they could upgrade some of the plats.

No one will complains about hotel goes above the requirements, but many will complains if hotel do below what required.
kaizen7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 5:23 am
  #617  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Milano (Italy)
Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Posts: 281
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
I wont be surprised if they do that.

If hotel continuously struggling to provide such benefits for the top 3 tiers then easiest solution will be culling the lowest tier (plat 50)

with that move, hotels supposedly free up their resources more and if they do have excess capacity and still feel generous they could upgrade some of the plats.

No one will complains about hotel goes above the requirements, but many will complains if hotel do below what required.
If so, I am going to reconsider my efforts to keep up nights number to 50/year with Marriott and come back to Hilton Diamond with full benefits at 60 nights or 30 stays/year, easier than Bonvoy Titanium.

I hope to hear some words from a Marriott Lurker.
nequine likes this.
GoldenItalianBoy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 8:42 am
  #618  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,633
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy View Post
Does anyone forecast that, in the near future, Plat members will lose some benefits (free breakfast, Lounge access and 4pm late chk/o guarantee) in favour of Titanium level?

i really hope not and I fear that but someone was writing about that some months ago.
There is absolutely no reason to believe Marriott Bonvoy will destroy the value of the program in such a way. There's even less reason to make decisions driven by baseless speculation.

This is a thread about how the brands of Marriott provide breakfast to 50-night-per-year Elite members, how some provide less than a full breakfast, and how some provide no breakfast benefit of any kind.

Breakfast at the 50-night-per-year Elite level was a feature of Rewards and SPG for many brands, whether through lounge access or as a Welcome Gift choice. It continued when the programs were combined. There were even improvements, such as adding daily breakfast at five brands of full-service resorts and at Protea Hotels as a Welcome Gift choice. Courtyard, Moxy, and AC Hotels also saw an improvement, although real breakfast daily would have been better addition to Welcome Gift options than daily F&B credits.

Marriott is in a competitive business. Marriott is eager to attract and keep guests who spend 50 nights or more (or Marriott Bonvoy credit card holders who spend 35 nights or more).
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.

Last edited by Horace; May 12, 19 at 8:50 am
Horace is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 9:44 am
  #619  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 24,083
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy View Post
Does anyone forecast that, in the near future, Plat members will lose some benefits (free breakfast, Lounge access and 4pm late chk/o guarantee) in favour of Titanium level?

i really hope not and I fear that but someone was writing about that some months ago.
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
I wont be surprised if they do that.

If hotel continuously struggling to provide such benefits for the top 3 tiers then easiest solution will be culling the lowest tier (plat 50)

with that move, hotels supposedly free up their resources more and if they do have excess capacity and still feel generous they could upgrade some of the plats.

No one will complains about hotel goes above the requirements, but many will complains if hotel do below what required.
no way. Unless they lower the 50 night threshold ... and that is unlikely as well. If you compare other chains benis for 50+ nights a year that gives you a pretty good sense that Marriott won't be changing lounge access + BF any time soon.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
cfischer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 9:56 am
  #620  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 1,878
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
There is absolutely no reason to believe Marriott Bonvoy will destroy the value of the program in such a way. There's even less reason to make decisions driven by baseless speculation. This is a thread about how the brands of Marriott provide breakfast to 50-night-per-year Elite members, how some provide less than a full breakfast, and how some provide no breakfast benefit of any kind. Breakfast at the 50-night-per-year Elite level was a feature of Rewards and SPG for many brands, whether through lounge access or as a Welcome Gift choice. It continued when the programs were combined. There were even improvements, such as adding daily breakfast at five brands of full-service resorts and at Protea Hotels as a Welcome Gift choice. Courtyard, Moxy, and AC Hotels also saw an improvement, although real breakfast daily would have been better addition to Welcome Gift options than daily F&B credits.
Marriott created a huge logistical problem for itself a few years ago when UA elites were awarded MR Gold (50 night level) which overloaded lounges and sometimes bumped MR Plats and PPs out of upgrades. It appears they solved that problem by renaming bonvOY tiers so that bv gold is now the 25 night level and substantial benefits do not begin until the bv Plat level. The lounges seem to be less crowded and I would think that it takes pressure off the need to devalue the tiers.
Tanic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 10:55 am
  #621  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,633
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
Marriott created a huge logistical problem for itself a few years ago when UA elites were awarded MR Gold (50 night level) which overloaded lounges and sometimes bumped MR Plats and PPs out of upgrades. It appears they solved that problem by renaming bonvOY tiers so that bv gold is now the 25 night level and substantial benefits do not begin until the bv Plat level. The lounges seem to be less crowded and I would think that it takes pressure off the need to devalue the tiers.
Also, Marriott eliminated rollover nights. And except for those who did not upgrade their Chase Marriott Visa, Marriott's branded credit cards no longer provide an elite night for each $3000 of credit card spend. I have not seen any posts this year from FlyerTalkers who received an elite night as a birthday gift.

In other words, it's now takes more actual hotel nights to achieve and maintain Elite status. That's much better than devaluing the benefits.

Also, in the past, Marriott has often been generous in renewing status for members who failed to meet the renewal threshold fully. It remains to be seen what happens in this regard in 2019.

Marriott Bonvoy has a range of membership tiers, with increasing benefits as the tier increases. But they all fall into one of two categories: (1) basic member through Gold with limited benefits and (2) Platinum through Ambassador with some valuable benefits.

Members accept that Elite tiers must earned.

Members would not accept being told, "Congratulation on stying 50 nights and earning Platinum Elite, but now there's no breakfast or lounge access for you until you stay another 25 nights."
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Horace is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 19, 12:17 pm
  #622  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,335
My birthday falls before bonvoy. I did get the congratulations yadda yadda and here 1 night for you.
But the said night never comes to my account.
Seriously I cant be bothered to chase that.
I just hope I wont end the year clocking 99 nights
kaizen7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 2:58 am
  #623  
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Posts: 139
Originally Posted by kaizen7 View Post
My birthday falls before bonvoy. I did get the congratulations yadda yadda and here 1 night for you.
But the said night never comes to my account.
Seriously I cant be bothered to chase that.
I just hope I wont end the year clocking 99 nights
Hi kaizen7,
May we confirm if you registered through the Birthday Participation link?
If you did and the elite night did not post to your account, please provide your account details to us via private mail here or by email below so that we can look into it for you.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

[email protected]
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 7:59 am
  #624  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,111
Originally Posted by Michele Foley View Post

Update: it looks like persistent pays off. After emailing several Marriott departments, as well as the hotel, I received word that effective on 4/29, the W Punta Mita is changing their welcome breakfast amenity to the full buffet. Im
unclear if this is the hot or continental buffet, but it’s definitely a step up from toast, coffee, and juice.

I also noticed that we’re several recent reviews on TripAdvisor criticizing the hotel’s lack of recognition to elite members, which management replied to. Can’t help but think this also played a role.

Staying there at the end of this month. Fingers crossed they actually honor this statement, but I have all the emails and names of employees that I will share with management if they try and overlook the benefit.
Michelle

Thanks for pushing this! It's obvious that Marriott resorts in Mexico have collectively decided to ignore the breakfast and suite benefits.

I'll note that Tim Sheldon is the President of Marriott's Caribbean and Latin America business.

https://news.marriott.com/p/tim-sheldon/

Perhaps we should all contact him. I don't see this issue at other Marriott properties in Latin America but its clear the resorts in Mexico have collectively decided to cheat even though the marginal cost of providing a breakfast to Plat or above members can't be more than a dollar or two.
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 10:25 am
  #625  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Deep In The Heart of Northeast Texas Ski Country
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 115
So genuine question...on an average day at home what does everyone eat for breakfast? I can’t imagine even one percent of people having a huge breakfast that they cook up. So why is it so important to have a huge spread on the hotel brand?

All of this FT complainers are the epitome of noise around the edges. Be happy with your toast and coffee
hotelboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 10:48 am
  #626  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SNA
Programs: M/R LT/TIT
Posts: 369
You are one of a kind.
jtp1947 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 10:48 am
  #627  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Posts: 2,007
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
So genuine question...on an average day at home what does everyone eat for breakfast? I can’t imagine even one percent of people having a huge breakfast that they cook up. So why is it so important to have a huge spread on the hotel brand?
For the same reason I expect really good service at a fine restaurant, even if I don't cook gourmet food at home all the time.

But as for the breakfast benefit, the quality of what's served keeps going down on the average, so at some point I won't care if a given property provides breakfast or not since I might just go somewhere nearby anyway.
fliesdelta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 10:55 am
  #628  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: DEN/BDL/LGA/HPN
Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Posts: 5,111
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
So genuine question...on an average day at home what does everyone eat for breakfast? I can’t imagine even one percent of people having a huge breakfast that they cook up. So why is it so important to have a huge spread on the hotel brand?

All of this FT complainers are the epitome of noise around the edges. Be happy with your toast and coffee
Yet, its important enough that Amex includes it as a key part of its FHR program, right?
C17PSGR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 11:41 am
  #629  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Posts: 1,878
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
All of this FT complainers are the epitome of noise around the edges. Be happy with your toast and coffee
What is your Motel 6 elite status?
Twickenham likes this.
Tanic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 19, 12:08 pm
  #630  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
Posts: 1,335
If the room rate is $30/night then I believe its acceptable to have muffin and coffee for breakfast.
kaizen7 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread