Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah pretty crappy if they make the choice only a one time points vs breakfast for the whole stay. I like how it is now so for a weekend or something I can get points one day and breakfast the other... or the same for locations without a lounge during the week... mix/match points and breakfast for some days each.
Wouldn't be worth taking points unless I'm only staying one day.

Oh and yeah if you just get a coffee and fruit/yogurt cup you're almost at the 10 bucks.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've been given vouchers at $6/person at a U.S. Four Points (within the last year). I'll wait for official details. I don't expect the brand-standard offering to be generous at low-price brands.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At 4Pts, I've seen access to a normal American hot breakfast buffet, including eggs made to order,bacon and (not or) sausage, pancakes, fresh fruit, etc. I think the charge for others without rates including breakfast was in the $12-15 range, but $10 or less for the price difference for room rates with versus without breakfast. I've seen similar hot breakfast buffets in Sheratons and Hyatts, all under $20 per person.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Considering the new rules don't actually go into effect until Aug. 1, I'm cautiously optimistic all will be clarified by then.
Huh? Doesn't help those with existing reservations or need to make new reservations post Aug 1.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Originally Posted by stvr
It seems to me that the Sheraton Kona resort no longer has to allow club access, just breakfast in restaurant.
I agree with Margarit Girl's subsequent post suggesting that this is not the case. However, having recently completed an 8 day stay there I can say that even if it were true it would be no loss. The lounge is small, overcrowded ( especially if weather forces everyone indoors) and has to be one of the stingiest lounges I have ever used. The single staff member has to prepare the trays of food items and consistently cannot keep up, so that it is rare that there is actually a full selection available. The alcohol offered is kept behind the door and that same overworked staff member also has to por and/or mix on the evenings when they have a cocktail. A total gong show. The restaurant breakfast option would be far better IMHO.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
These were posted in Marriott Insiders. They seems to answer most questions when read together.

Lounge Access

Platinum Welcome gift / breakfast

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/54600

Last edited by escapefromphl; Jun 26, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
What does the dot in the breakfast column mean.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
What does the dot in the breakfast column mean.

The dot means it is automatic to get breakfast, you don't have to do anything else

No dot means it is an amentity which can be chosen in lieu of other choices listed in the amenity column.

Now, you notice JW Marriott doesn't really have either, but they all have (afaik) executive lounges - which all offer breakfast so it really is a moot point on those types of hotels.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
The dot means it is automatic to get breakfast, you don't have to do anything else

No dot means it is an amentity which can be chosen in lieu of other choices listed in the amenity column.
Lol my understanding is exactly the opposite: No dot either means it's in the lounge or as in the case of Edition, Ritz etc you are SOL. You get to choose one of the other amenities listed as well as breakfast in the lounge. Dot means you can choose it instead of the other options listed, if any.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Jun 26, 2018 at 5:48 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Lol my understanding is exactly the opposite: No dot either means it's in the lounge or as in the case of Edition, Ritz etc you are SOL. You get to choose one of the other amenities listed as well as breakfast in the lounge. Dot means you can choose it instead of the other options listed, if any.
Then why doesn't residence inn have a dot - everyone gets breakfast elite or not?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Then why doesn't residence inn have a dot - everyone gets breakfast elite or not?
Yes - everyone gets breakfast, your Platinum amenity choices would be 500 points or a F&B item.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Not exactly. No dot means breakfast is not a "welcome gift" option. With legacy SPG properties, breakfast is (and will continue to be) one of your Platinum welcome gift options. With the legacy Marriott properties, either there is a breakfast benefit or not, but it's never been a welcome gift. With the caveat that at Marriott resorts, breakfast has been added as a welcome gift option. So now, just as at SPG properties, at Marriott resorts (including JW, Renaissance, and Autograph Collection), you will be able to choose either breakfast or points.

You basically now need a JD to understand Marriott program benefits.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not exactly. No dot means breakfast is not a "welcome gift" option. With legacy SPG properties, breakfast is (and will continue to be) one of your Platinum welcome gift options. With the legacy Marriott properties, either there is a breakfast benefit or not, but it's never been a welcome gift. With the caveat that at Marriott resorts, breakfast has been added as a welcome gift option. So now, just as at SPG properties, at Marriott resorts (including JW, Renaissance, and Autograph Collection), you will be able to choose either breakfast or points.

You basically now need a JD to understand Marriott program benefits.
You made my head hurt in one paragraph.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
You made my head hurt in one paragraph.
That will be $500
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:59 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
That will be $500
LOL!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.