Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Lounge is on the fifth floor.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hong Kong [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:38 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
Originally Posted by newshound
Cash only
Most now take Octopus cards too which you can easily obtain at an MTR station. Reload 7-11 etc easily.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Beano HK
Most now take Octopus cards too which you can easily obtain at an MTR station. Reload 7-11 etc easily.
interesting. I’ve not seen a single one that accepts octopus in all my trips to HK.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by carrotjuice

interesting. I’ve not seen a single one that accepts octopus in all my trips to HK.
Yep I am here now and based on personal experience & checked with everyone in my office, nobody has heard of taxis accepting octopus. Closest you'll get is booking in advance some may accept credit card
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A New Low - JW HKG Lounge Shares Space With Restaurant

Misconnected at HKG today, so booked a room at the JW. Headed to the lounge on 5th floor and . . . confused. Why are there waiters, menus, and people eating cheeseburgers in here? Because the "Executive Lounge" at this property now hosts the property's new restaurant, "Flint," serving an "executive set lunch" on weekdays (Flint). Let's hope this isn't the start of a new lounge monetization trend.

ETA: Here's the signage at the elevator lobby:

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 4, 2019 at 12:30 am
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Were you allowed to get a free lunch there? If so, wouldn‘t this then be an actual upgrade as most lounges are closed for lunch?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Muerz
Were you allowed to get a free lunch there? If so, wouldn‘t this then be an actual upgrade as most lounges are closed for lunch?
Are you serious?

Of course not. It's not a lounge benefit, it's double use of the lounge space as a revenue generator.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:28 am

I believe the lounge itself is undergoing renovations or refurbishment. It was a beautiful space when I stayed there, with sweeping views of Victoria Harbour / perfect place to watch fireworks on special occasions. Should be temporary.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:04 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Muerz
Closed for lunch as in guests not allowed in the lounges at all or guests allowed in the space with no foods? If former, then what's wrong with using the lounge space for other purposes during hours normally not accessible to guests anyway? If later, then it's certainly a devaluation as it essentially limits the hours of access for guests.

LAX
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by LAX
Closed for lunch as in guests not allowed in the lounges at all or guests allowed in the space with no foods? If former, then what's wrong with using the lounge space for other purposes during hours normally not accessible to guests anyway? If later, then it's certainly a devaluation as it essentially limits the hours of access for guests.
The lounge's published hours are daily from 6:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m., so the restaurant uses the lounge space during its published open hours. During the period the restaurant is operating, you have two groups using the space at once - restaurant customers and lounge eligible guests. During my visit, the restaurant use extended into the lounge's afternoon tea service, which starts at 2:30 p.m.

I can tell you it was quite odd. I walked in around 2 pm, saw it was a restaurant, so turned around and walked back out assuming I had somehow missed the lounge entrance.

Originally Posted by Richard Yu
I believe the lounge itself is undergoing renovations or refurbishment. It was a beautiful space when I stayed there, with sweeping views of Victoria Harbour / perfect place to watch fireworks on special occasions. Should be temporary.
It's my understanding that space was converted to guest rooms. That's why the lounge moved to floors 4 and 5, later reduced to just 5, and now sharing space on 5 with a restaurant.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Beano HK
Definitely not true. Some take Octopus but not even close to "most."

Also worth noting that the hotel's gym is currently undergoing refurbishment for the next few months. Apparently there's a temp set-up near the pool but I haven't checked it out.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Also worth noting that the hotel's gym is currently undergoing refurbishment for the next few months. Apparently there's a temp set-up near the pool but I haven't checked it out.
It's on the 31st floor. Two rooms. I did not check it out.

I wound up okay with this property. Upgraded to harbour view on an award redemption. There were suites for sale, but I didn't push it as I was only in the room for about eight hours. Rooms are a bit small but they are well outfitted and the bed was extremely comfortable. I really like the location (have stayed at Conrad many times). One stop from Admiral to TST is super convenient. Happy hour lounge offerings were pretty good, if a bit calorie intensive.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Definitely not true. Some take Octopus but not even close to "most."

The swimming pool is still open to use as always right? That's pretty important for us as we will be there end of april and from what I've understood it could be pretty warm during that time. The pool doesn't look to be that big but nice to have the choice.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Richard Yu
The low floor lounge is now the permanent one. The upstairs one was just too small.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an article with pics. It is indeed both a restaurant and a lounge.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ng-a-facelift/
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Here's an article with pics. It is indeed both a restaurant and a lounge.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ng-a-facelift/
Interesting.

The new bed was extremely comfortable. Note though that in my harbour view double, the chairs lacked the ottoman shown in one of the pics, which is unfortunate.

The article also references Chinese food from the hotel's restaurant served in the lounge . . . I can say that the shrimp siu mai at happy hour were fantastic.

I think it's a tough call between this place and the Conrad. The decor is getting pretty tired at Conrad, but the rooms are considerably larger and the views are better. They are also very good about upgrading Diamonds to suites. JW lounge has much better food, but again, Conrad has that view. Overall, I think the Conrad has a more elegant feel, whereas Marriott has a more frenetic vibe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.