Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Marquis Houston, TX [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Some photos from and at the Marriott Marquis taken in April.

David
Attached Images       

Last edited by DELee; Nov 5, 2017 at 7:26 am Reason: wrong hotel name - and wrong thread.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Marriott Marquis from April 2017: Group 2 - The Lounge and Its Views

Another in a continuing series.

David
Attached Images           

Last edited by DELee; Oct 28, 2017 at 10:43 pm Reason: wrong hotel name - and wrong thread.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Sweet pix, thanks. Do you know if that TX shaped pool has any current, i.g., is it a Lazy River? GF is a big fan and would love to stay there.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
Sweet pix, thanks. Do you know if that TX shaped pool has any current, i.g., is it a Lazy River? GF is a big fan and would love to stay there.
It is a lazy river. I would comment that if it is a busy period (e.g. warm/hot weekends), the hotel's staff manages the number of folks in the river.

Daivd
Old Oct 28, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Thanks, that is great otherwise I can imagine it turns into Disney's Typhoon Lagoon with human logjams...
Old Oct 28, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG SA, AA ExP, UA Silver, O6 Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
It is a lazy river. I would comment that if it is a busy period (e.g. warm/hot weekends), the hotel's staff manages the number of folks in the river.

Daivd
Isn't the lazy river in Marriott Marquis? One of the photo you shared also shows Marriott Marquis.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hatey
Isn't the lazy river in Marriott Marquis? One of the photo you shared also shows Marriott Marquis.
Whoops. Mistake on my part - posted to the wrong thread. Will ask moderators to move the posts.

David
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:03 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
stayed here for 2 weekday nights in august as a marriott gold we got a top floor room with a larger couch or something. not a corner room, but a couch room. maybe all the rooms have a couch. view of the texas shaped lazy river. access to the lounge on the 6th floor (same floor as fitness center, spa, and river).

i didn't see the stuff previous posters had a beef with. rooms were impeccable and not at all showing age or wear. staff were on point at all times. bummer that they no longer make hotels with bath tubs but that's just me.

club lounge happy hour had shrimp tempura, dumplings, charcuterie board, breads, chips+queso (which, like any queso, doesn't work out very well if it's not boiling hot...which it wasn't in the warmer) also a few other hot items things i forgot. it was very expansive. no clue if the booze was free.

breakfast was very good as well, full spread. well above average for north american marriott lounge action, although having sparkling water on tap (which many new marriotts have) woulda been nice.

i would say the pool is the nicest non-resort hotel pool i have ever been in. it has a nice resort vibe to it; lots of people of all walks of life just chillin. there is no shortage of tubes. front desk is very strict with access control, 4 wristbands per room no exceptions and no buy-up. but torn wristbands can be traded and swapped, so there are some backdoors if you have more than 3 others in your clique. also they are very secretive as to when they switch the wristband colors out, i was trying to hook some friends up for next week lol.

biggo's and xochi are a PHENOMENAL bar and restaurant respectively that my local friends drink and eat at. especially xochi. do not miss that place. ^^^. chef ortega is boss.

overall this place is great.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I was here a couple weeks ago and also had a most excellent experience. Not really anything I can add from what was provided above. I was initially assigned a two queen room but asked the front desk agent if I could get something better and after some work she got me into an awesome one bedroom suite, one of the best I have ever stayed in - I did NOT want to leave. Lounge was massive and not busy at all. Spreads were better than typical Marriotts but not European or Asian level.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:41 pm
cur

wow, only one page on this massive and great hotel?

as a marriott gold i got a normal room on the 28th floor facing the pool

biggios = great place to catch a game
xochi = great, especially now that it's houston restaurant weeks
pool = amazing as always, but unfortunately they're selling wristbands to non guests for $50, hopefully it'll keep capacity in check as the lazy river gets congested/lazy. the main/non texas shaped pool is adult swim after 6pm which is great, i think it should be always adult swim but 6 is a fair compromise (as larry david said "a good compromise is when both parties are dissatisfied"
lounge = breakfast was expansive (with european style cold cuts and cheese!), evening snacks good enough (queso, some samosa, basic high end pub grub) beer and liquor cost $$$ (!!!?!), water from the fridges always lukewarm
elevators to the upper floors = there are 6 of them, 2 of them appeared to be inoperable, so long, crowded waits. it was pretty bad.

great place but i only stay here for the pool. but even then i dunno. this is a huge conference hotel (christian youth conference when i was there last) so lots of families and youths running around which ok, but for the price, jw marriott downtown has a better vibe for bae and i.

tips: just park on the street using the downtown hopper for $7 a day. catch: gotta move to another block every 3 hours.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
stayed here towards the start of July on points,
loved this hotel, got upgraded to a corner one bedroom suite overlooking minute maid stadium.
Bathtub was pretty cool in the bathroom.

The lounge never seemed really crowded, one morning had to wait a max of 3 minutes to get some food, no big deal at all.

Pool area was great, our kids had a great time and didn't want to leave.

Dined in the sports bar downstairs one night, and had great service (can't remember the name of it, I think it was baggio's)

The mexican restaurant down the road (walking distance if you don't mind walking for 25 mins), El Tiempo, is a pretty cool spot as well with strong margarita's
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For those who stayed recently, was the lounge open on the weekends - and by that I mean did they serve evening appetizers/drink on Fri/Sat night? Pls advise & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx/
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:29 pm
cur

Lounge hours

breakfast
0630-0930
sat and sun 0700-1000

hors deouvres
1730-1930
sun-thu

coffee and desert
1930-2200
sun-thu

bar service
1730-2200
sun-thu

“elite guest is allowed one guest and two _________” (form got cut off, i assume 2x free drinks/patron?)

Last edited by cur; Aug 9, 2018 at 3:33 am
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Are the Rooms Really THAT Noisy?

I am staying here in 3 weeks for work. I read all that Flyertalk has to offer about this hotel - and many dozens of Tripadvisor reviews. A number of reviewers from Tripadvisor noted that due to a gap between the door and the floor, there is a lot of noise from the hallways that leaks into the rooms. My only question is - is it really that noticeable?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.