Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel La Semilla, Playa Del Carmen, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold

Any reviews or trip reports? Looking at this hotel for an upcoming stay.

Also wondering if their associated property Villa La Semilla is associated with SPG or not.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looks good! seems 9 room hotel opened jan 2014

villa not located at hotel, so may not be in hotel inventory
could ask re charging villa/etc to a room booked at hotel
cant recall how SPG can limit earning on room charges

from $1150 for 3BR big villa with lap pool
master suite 80m2 with rooftop plunge pool
other bedrooms minimum 60m2
there may be 5th night free in sep/oct
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I've messaged the people who reviewed the Villa on TripAdvisor...especially about air con.

If I hear anything, I'll be sure to share!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I've messaged the people who reviewed the Villa on TripAdvisor...especially about air con.

If I hear anything, I'll be sure to share!
And within a few minutes, already 1 reply! From Anne W:

This house is AMAZING. AC units were in the walls and run by remote for each room. We were there in July and it was comfortable.
This is the true value of TripAdvisor IMO. The quick reply IMO validates the review, too--which wasn't obvious since she has only 2 reviews.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
And within a few minutes, already 1 reply! From Anne W:

This is the true value of TripAdvisor IMO. The quick reply IMO validates the review, too--which wasn't obvious since she has only 2 reviews.
Any idea if the Villa is included in SPG or not?

Some of the major grievances on trip advisor about this property is there is currently major construction next door which the hotel does not advise about until you arrive.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by 100% Green
Any idea if the Villa is included in SPG or not?

Some of the major grievances on trip advisor about this property is there is currently major construction next door which the hotel does not advise about until you arrive.
I just got an email reply back (same day, pretty impressive, actually) indicating that while the Villa is same owner as and is considered part of the hotel, it is not considered part of SPG Design Hotels.

Thank you for your e-mail.

About your question is considered part of the hotel because is the same owner but not for SPG Design hotels.

Villa La Semilla is a private beach front rental property that has been designed to offer a complete and private experience for guests with their loved ones and families. Situated between the lush, green mangrove jungle and a secluded beach of Soliman Bay. Rather than a hotel, it is the concept of renting the entire house (5 rooms).
Here I send you a link with more information and photos:

http://villalasemilla.com/inicio/

For making reservations, please contact the agency Mayaluxe under [email protected].

If we can do anything else for you, please let us know.
If nothing else, I'm impressed at the quick response.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold
Didn't see any reviews for this hotel and just finished a stay here, so I thought I'd add one. Although I'm not wild about Playa del Carmen (way too busy for my tastes) this hotel is a little oasis of calm amidst the craziness. It's definitely in the "quaint, cute, and cozy" category, rather than the luxurious category, but we loved it. The location is great, the rooms are all interesting and different and the service is wonderful. The hotel gardens/breakfast area are wonderful and relaxing. We stayed in both the base room and the terrace room during our stay and, personally, I would not pay extra for the terrace room - in fact, I preferred the base room, which is larger. There is ongoing construction right next door, and it begins early and lasts all day and into the evening, so be aware of that. It did not bother us, as we are early risers and are not on the property much, except in the morning and to sleep, but if you plan to sleep in or spend time on the property other than at night you will definitely be disturbed by the noise. I'd definitely stay here again. Platinum amenity was free use of towels, bikes, and beach bags (not sure what they otherwise for that).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:27 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by FlyProf1
Didn't see any reviews for this hotel and just finished a stay here, so I thought I'd add one. Although I'm not wild about Playa del Carmen (way too busy for my tastes) this hotel is a little oasis of calm amidst the craziness. It's definitely in the "quaint, cute, and cozy" category, rather than the luxurious category, but we loved it. The location is great, the rooms are all interesting and different and the service is wonderful. The hotel gardens/breakfast area are wonderful and relaxing. We stayed in both the base room and the terrace room during our stay and, personally, I would not pay extra for the terrace room - in fact, I preferred the base room, which is larger. There is ongoing construction right next door, and it begins early and lasts all day and into the evening, so be aware of that. It did not bother us, as we are early risers and are not on the property much, except in the morning and to sleep, but if you plan to sleep in or spend time on the property other than at night you will definitely be disturbed by the noise. I'd definitely stay here again. Platinum amenity was free use of towels, bikes, and beach bags (not sure what they otherwise for that).

how generous of them letting you have free free use of towels! Don’t tell me they charge for beach towels, definitely sounds distinctively tacky (a bit like playa del carmen)
Old Mar 15, 2018, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by fdem
how generous of them letting you have free free use of towels! Don’t tell me they charge for beach towels, definitely sounds distinctively tacky (a bit like playa del carmen)
The towels have been provided free for every guest (and of course they no not charge something ridiculous like a resort fee for that). Also the bikes, parking and a small but tasty breakfast is included for every guest not just Plats.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: HHonor Diamond, SPG Plat100, HGP Plat, AF Plat, *A G (A3)
Question Progress of construction??

Originally Posted by FlyProf1
There is ongoing construction right next door, and it begins early and lasts all day and into the evening, so be aware of that.
Any recent stay experience at this property please? Would like to stay at this property in August but construction noise early in the morning would indeed be a deal killer...
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by accidental_tourist
Any recent stay experience at this property please? Would like to stay at this property in August but construction noise early in the morning would indeed be a deal killer...
Construction of the condos next door is still ongoing. Also the bed was incredibly awful. I'd describe it as a Fred Flintstone bed - one of hardest I've ever slept on, to the point of being painful.

The only thing it really has going for it is it's location - about 5 minutes from the beach and right on 5th. They also have beach umbrellas if you care for one. If you do go, I'd recommend not going to any of the restaurants on 5th and venture a block or two north for better quality at a lower price point, not worry too much about the beach (it's very small), and possibly simply focus on out of town excursions (ruins, hot springs, nature).
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Any recent datapoints for this property?
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
I've booked BRG rate and received a very strange email, saying that I need to cancel the room and book through booking.com.
it's been already approved by Marriott and they are refusing to give the extra 20% off.
I'm not sure what they will charge me if I didnt cancel the room and just went with the reservation.
Not a pleasant experience to receive something like this before the stay.

Email from the hotel:

I hope this e-mail finds you well, we do have parking spaces but they can not be reserve before arrival since they are always upon availability.
We also got a Marriott notification about the rates, if you would like to get those rates, you will have to cancel your reservation from Marriott and then book by Booking.com but you will not get the points.

Kind regards !

Brito Santana
Front Desk/Reservations
Old Apr 12, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by xrapidox
I've booked BRG rate and received a very strange email, saying that I need to cancel the room and book through booking.com.
it's been already approved by Marriott and they are refusing to give the extra 20% off.
I'm not sure what they will charge me if I didnt cancel the room and just went with the reservation.
Not a pleasant experience to receive something like this before the stay.

Email from the hotel:

I hope this e-mail finds you well, we do have parking spaces but they can not be reserve before arrival since they are always upon availability.
We also got a Marriott notification about the rates, if you would like to get those rates, you will have to cancel your reservation from Marriott and then book by Booking.com but you will not get the points.

Kind regards !

Brito Santana
Front Desk/Reservations
They are a very small hotel and maybe not so familiar with BRG rates. Best would be to inform Marriott about their answer and they should explain.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by thomasito
They are a very small hotel and maybe not so familiar with BRG rates. Best would be to inform Marriott about their answer and they should explain.
They have been in the program for more than 5 years and I find it hard to believe there was not even 1 case of BRG....
I've informed both the hotel and Marriott about the situation so let's wait and see

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.