Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Nanki-Shirahama Marriott - Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...arriott-hotel/

Opening July '17. Cat 7.

"Marriott Hotel is a beautiful beachside resort located a 10 minute cab ride from JR Shirahama Station. Aside from offering a charming view of the gorgeous beach and the sunset from a hill, the hotel has hot springs and elegantly decorated Japanese style guest rooms for a more luxurious relaxing experience. The hotel also provides an exquisite dining experience by serving dishes made from fresh seasonal seafood."

No exec lounge. Free parking. Free wifi in rooms/public area.

Will have to wait for first trip report to find out what, if anything they do for elites.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

From Marriott press release re: 5 properties opening in Japan:

"Nanki-Shirahama Marriott Hotel is home to mountain trails and white sandy beaches, set against enthralling sunsets, that can be admired from the 182 Japanese and Western-style rooms that embrace the ‘Marriott Modern’ design ethos. Get in touch with the local by trying the freshest seafood dishes and enjoying the large communal onsen hot spring, or by taking in the breathtaking scenery from the outdoor swimming pool with a children’s zone in the summer months."

Has a members offer of breakfast for 2 daily + 3000 points per stay.

Currently has a 1-day cancel vs. 2-3 day.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 12:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Interesting location (south of Osaka) for a Marriott. Maybe our Kansai or Japan based posters will check it out.

I wonder what their baths look like.
kaka likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Aventine
Interesting location (south of Osaka) for a Marriott. Maybe our Kansai or Japan based posters will check it out.

I wonder what their baths look like.
just completed a one night stay.

Many of the rooms have a private onsen on the glass enclosed balcony. You can slide open a window a couple of inches, but I’d hesitate to call them open air. The public baths (one for men, one for women) are on the top (11th) floor. They rotate them once per day. There is a lounge area in between (rather austere no services or amenities other than places to sit). Everything has been renovated and is in good condition. There is a single large indoor bath with tall floor to ceiling windows. No nooks or crannies with other water features. There is also a smaller outdoor bath. One of these has the prime view and is why they likely rotate the baths. There are also a couple of private family bath rooms... not sure if there is an extra fee (there often is). The changing room is rather spartan as is the grooming area. Unlike most Onsen I have been to there is not a supply of toothbrushes, shavers etc. there are combs and a few other things. It is bring towels from you room. If I were to stay here again I would want the private in room Onsen as the public one is rather charmless, but it does have a nice view. Pubic bath summary: Too much space for what is in it. Lots of uninterrupted surfaces (large wall areas, etc. with no embellishment) and not enough comfortable pleasant things.

Last edited by schriste; May 8, 2018 at 9:02 pm
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have just completed a stay here. The property still seems brand new. And the short summary is, a very nice property worth going to.

The staff is very nice and helpful and considering the location in Japan (a bit out of the way) the English skills are very high.

Despite sometimes being referred to as a resort the hotel does offer full breakfast in the restaurant for Gold and Platinum members There is a lounge at lobby level, though it is not offering breakfast options Snacks and non alcoholic drinks through the day.. And hot snacks and drinks in the evening. Just snacks, you can't really make a meal of them. But you can order from the menu from the adjacent lobby bar, at a charge.

If you go to the lounge in the evening I recommend trying the different versions of umeshu (plum wine) a local speciality. And they are good.

The restaurant is good, and offers a 20% discount for platinum members. Probably also something for gold.

I had booked the cheapest available rate but ended in the corner suite in the 10th floor with private onsen, so they do seem to take the upgrade commitment seriously..

The local area is nice, and I can only recommend a few days here to soak in the hot springs enjoy the scenery, and the local food. Don't eat too much in the hotel restaurant, the local places are great.

JAL flies here 3 times a day from Tokyo, and Japan Railways connects here as well.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
JAL flies here 3 times a day from Tokyo, and Japan Railways connects here as well.
The airport is actually closer to the beach/resort area than the train station.

I had the same suite as CPH-Flyer did, but be aware there is only one "executive suite", so I imagine you will need to travel off peak to score it. I thought breakfast was pretty good, but was not too thrilled with any of the lounge nibbles.

This is a great value hotel (off season), especially with the upgrade potential, but for first time visitors to Japan, not so sure it would be a good choice. Would by like flying to New York and deciding to spend your time at the Jersey Shore (I am a New Jerseyan so nothing against the shore, but not sure it would be a good choice for a first time visit to the USA).

Note that the hotel is not cozy, charming, Japanese in style, or intimate. But if new, clean, modern with a lounge, plus beach are what you are looking for... can be a good choice for something different.

Also stayed at the Lake Biwa Marriot in March 2018. Very similar renovation using same color pallet and materials.

Last edited by schriste; Mar 26, 2018 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:02 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I had a great 2-night stay here. I received an upgrade to an executive suite on the 10th floor, with a private onsen and great view of the beach. There is only one of these suites with beach view, plus another one with city view. It was spectacular value on a rate of 8100 yen. I stayed mid-week during low season; otherwise, you'll pay multiples and likely have no shot at that suite.

I arrived at SHM airport (about an hour flight from Haneda) and went to the taxi queue. The driver looked at me, a tall Westerner, and guessed correctly, "Marriott." It's about a 5 minute, 1050yen ride. The train station is a bit further away, about 2500yen, and then about 150 minutes by Limited Express to Osaka.

I was greeted by a very friendly and helpful front desk employee, who told me about the hotel, gave advice on the town, and helped with transportation arrangements. I was given free breakfast tickets and a lounge voucher for my Platinum status, plus various discount vouchers (20% off food, etc). The staff I interacted with spoke English very well and seemed eager to practice. (I realize I'm the foreigner here, but English is often not great in Japan, and staff at the other three Marriott resorts I visited seemed to have much more limited English).

My suite had a beautiful view of the ocean (with Shirahama beach) from the private onsen. I also had a panoramic view of Shirahama town and the bay from my living room window (the two 10th floor suites seem to be the only rooms that have a window in that direction). The rooms are recently remodeled and very modern.

The Platinum happy hour is in an area partitioned off from the lobby (similar to Marriott Lake Biwa etc) and has a decent selection of beer and various liquors and mixers. There are some nibbles (small plates), but really not meant to be turned into a full meal. You can order from the restaurant menu and use your discount here.

Breakfast was full buffet in the third floor restaurant. It's a great selection of high-quality hot and cold items. Egg dishes, waffles and pancakes can be ordered to your table. Aligned with the spa town theme, there are 6 types of mineral water from various parts of Japan. Very enjoyable experience, overall.

I spent a lot of time in my room and private onsen, but also wandered around town. Shirahama is one of the nicest beaches I experienced in Japan, and there are lots of activities worth checking out. The town is also fairly walkable. Add to that that the hotel is spectacular value for Marriott Platinums (in low season), and I'll be back soon.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Sounds very much like my stay Could easily be tempted to take another weekend stay here.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:05 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jpdx
. . . I received an upgrade to an executive suite on the 10th floor, with a private onsen and great view of the beach. There is only one of these suites with beach view, plus another one with city view. It was spectacular value on a rate of 8100 yen. I stayed mid-week during low season; otherwise, you'll pay multiples and likely have no shot at that suite.
My four-night stay in early May was very similar to jpdx's - same room (should we call it the Flyertalk Suite?) and same ¥8100 rate (booked about 8 months in advance).

The local bus company (Meiko) runs to/from the airport with their normal service, but they also add extra buses timed to meet the JL flights. The fare to the Marriott was ¥390/about 17 min. Get off at either of two stops: s-17 Mabuyu or s-16 Hashiriyu on the Meiko route map; the former stop has a gentle walk up to the the hotel, the latter is steeper but half the distance.

I enjoyed the evening "nibbles" in the lounge - one hot dish (pork belly in gravy), several veggie salads/appetizers, and chilled fruit/pastries/puddings. Not so great: I don't think the selection of nibbles changed at all during my four-night stay.

Bottom line: A pleasant place to stay and very affordable (especially for Marriotts in Japan) if you can grab the ~ ¥8000 rate.
Old Jun 12, 2020, 1:32 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Anything special to do/eat in the surrounding town? I hear seafood is particularly good here. Tours/experiences for tourists?
Old Jun 12, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toddvader
Anything special to do/eat in the surrounding town? I hear seafood is particularly good here. Tours/experiences for tourists?
The seafood for sure, there is also some really nice local beef, local style ramen with umeboshi, and definitely try the umeshu (plum liquor), the bar has sampling sets, and the lounge area has a selection in the evening.

The hot springs are a big point of the area. But there are nice hikes, bike rides as well.. A little bit down the road is a cave used by pirates in the good old days, while the building towards the road seem a bit tired and overly tourist trap, it is actually a fun excursion.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The seafood for sure, there is also some really nice local beef, local style ramen with umeboshi, and definitely try the umeshu (plum liquor), the bar has sampling sets, and the lounge area has a selection in the evening.

The hot springs are a big point of the area. But there are nice hikes, bike rides as well.. A little bit down the road is a cave used by pirates in the good old days, while the building towards the road seem a bit tired and overly tourist trap, it is actually a fun excursion.
It was a few months ago and perhaps some facilities were still closed, but did you get any special elite treatment?
I'm heading there next weekend.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
It was a few months ago and perhaps some facilities were still closed, but did you get any special elite treatment?
I'm heading there next weekend.
I was there again in early July. It was the day or day after they re-opened, after having been closed for a period due to the pandemic.

The restaurant had a very limited menu and had to be pre booked, the first two days the lounge was not open, but there was bag of goodies available for pick up from the restaurant. on the last day the lounge was open, so I'd expect that to still be back to normal.

As for elite treatment, I got a very nice room upgrade; I was allowed very early check in as I ended up on the 7:45am flight from Tokyo; it was my first stay since March so there was a very nice card from my ambassador welcoming me back to travelling and back to Marriott, there was a card and goodies from the GM and the hotel welcoming me back to the hotel and back to travelling again, and since I only had a 18:15 flight back, I was invited to both the afternoon tea and early part of the happy hour after check out. It seemed like all the staff knew me by name, but then again the hotel was quite empty, I saw no other non-Japanese guests, and the probably don't see too many ambassador members. But all in all it does seem like they take the elite recognition seriously.
JapanFlyerT likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 12:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
We had a very nice stay last weekend. Able to check in before noon, which was nice. Seventh floor with sea view, no bath in room/suite. Both Saturday and Sunday they were full. I asked about 10th floor bath-with view and they said I could move the next day (we did). Wasn't a suite though.

Offered welcome gift of 1,000 or a craft beer or cheese plate. Chose points (beer is ¥400 in a convenience store). Also given lounge passes and breakfast for two, which was pretty good. Lounge had soft drinks and packaged snacks from 12, cake from 2, happy hour 5-8pm that included a couple small hot dishes: noodles, chicken wings and taco yaki. Also some cold cuts. Wasn't a lot but tasted good and we ordered a few.

Restaurant full Sunday night, so we grabbed food at Tore Tore. Sunday lounge was a bit busy with people ordering dinner too. Monday almost empty.

We walked to the 2km to see the sunset at Engetsuto. The hotel offers bikes and ebikes at very reasonable prices too.

Fitness room was closed, and pool closed for the season. Hot spring on top floor was huge and pretty empty each time I went.

Staff were good, and helped us book a diving trip (2 boat dives ¥20,000 including gear).

All in all a nice place, and with Go To Travel we ended up paying ¥13,000 a night. Plus we got ¥3,000 a night in coupons, which were easy to use in town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.