Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy NYC Times Square [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening August 2017. Cat 8.

"Located just south of Times Square, Moxy is in the heart of where uptown and downtown collide. Steps away from the Theater District, Fashion District, Madison Square Garden, Penn Station and the boutiques, restaurants and nightclubs downtown.

Moxy is anchored by an electrifying dining scene, operated by Tao Group. Venues include a playful brasserie, buzzing lobby bar and lounge, an all-day breakfast café, and NYC’s largest indoor/outdoor hotel rooftop bar scene. For the traveler who wants it all, our design-driven rooms are affordable without sacrifice of style. Bedrooms are outfitted with comfortable beds, large walk-in rain showers, complimentary Wi-Fi, and clever built-in design features that create an adaptable guest experience. Located just south of Times Square, Moxy is a New York minute from the Theater District, Madison Square Garden, Javits Center, Penn Station, 5th Avenue shopping, and a collection of boutiques, restaurants, and downtown nightlife."

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...-times-square/
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Now opening September 2017.

Re: eating/drinking on site:

"TAO Group’s five new eating and drinking destinations at Moxy include LEGASEA, a seafood brasserie; Egghead, an egg-centric sandwich shop; a communal lobby bar and a twist on the traditional grab-and-go concept. Magic Hour, NYC’s largest all-season hotel rooftop bar and lounge features an “urban amusement park” concept and epic skyline views."
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Does anyone have a reservation booked here? I am booked for 9/27; as of today, the hotel's page on Marriott.com doesn't come up. I have a backup reservation at another property. Curious if anyone has heard if there is some kind of issue causing a delay with opening.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LPCJr
Does anyone have a reservation booked here? I am booked for 9/27; as of today, the hotel's page on Marriott.com doesn't come up. I have a backup reservation at another property. Curious if anyone has heard if there is some kind of issue causing a delay with opening.
They're probably waiting for final sign-off by Marriott. I know other properties where one day they weren't listed/the next they were.

Cheers.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/mox...n-times-square

"When New York City’s Moxy Times Square hotel opens for business on Monday, it won’t be the city’s biggest, most luxurious, or most anticipated. But it may well be the boldest new property in town, a shot across the bow of Airbnb, with 612 obsessively designed rooms, three separate rooftop cocktail bars, two restaurants, one egg sandwich shop, and zero front desks. It is, in short, a hotel aimed at Millennials and their friends, a low-cost, high-style bunkhouse with some of the most thoughtful design we’ve seen since Ian Schrager's Public popped up on the Lower East Side this June."

Some pics from the article & the property's website:

Queen w/ loft guest room:

Double-double guest room:

Two bunk bed guest room:

Lobby lounge bar:

Indoor/outdoor rooftop bar:

Adelphos likes this.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 24, 2017 at 10:50 am
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Marriott press release on Moxy Times Square today...

http://news.marriott.com/2017/09/mox...y-on%E2%80%A8/
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
I'm there tomorrow night. Will try to report back with more info.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LPCJr
I'm there tomorrow night. Will try to report back with more info.
Thanks! Appreciate it!

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:57 pm

I'm here now. It's...interesting. Definitely has the new car look and feel.

My sense is that you will love it or hate it. It's very convenient to Penn Station and several subway lines. Staff has been very friendly.

I booked the the lowest tier room, which is 1 double. As a Plat upgraded to 1 Queen. Room is very very small, can't imagine what the double is like. Offered points or $10 food credit. I suspect the credit is a better deal if you plan to get a drink.

There is no closet, desk, or real furniture other than the bed. They provide a table and chair that hang on the wall and fold up. It's not low quality, just very very minimalist. I'm here for 1 night and it is fine. I don't know how productive I would be as a business traveler on a longer stay. Toiletries are minimal. Combined body/hair wash in a pump container.

The public areas are filled with pulsing music. I'm an old fart, it's OK for a little while, but at a certain point I prefer a.little break from that. Room is quiet ( other than typical NYC street noise).

For this particular day, it was a competitive price point ($300 vs $400-500 for most other properties in Manhattan). On a day when rates are lower, I would probably opt for the Ren Midtown (around the block) or the Lexington. I actually had a meeting on the East side, but everything over there was prohibitive today.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
I just took a peek at the place passing by. Pulsating music in all public areas would be understatement. So funny having the combination of high volume and seeing a great many guests wearing earphones. The vibe was "this is all about you, Millennials" for sure. But the human atmosphere was subdued and did not live up to the hype in the smarmy email Marriott sent last week, featuring a presumably nude adult male giving a standing frontal to a plush white teddy bear, and ad copy including lines such as: "There's a drink waiting for you with your room key and someone at the bar that [sic] wants your number," and "Play with us ... maybe a little game of spin the bottle. You can get away with it here." Well, they say that sex sells . . . .
Old Sep 29, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I'll check out the bar sometime. Seems like a Yotel competitor.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
Pulsating music in all public areas would be understatement. So funny having the combination of high volume and seeing a great many guests wearing earphones. The vibe was "this is all about you, Millennials" for sure.
That is what the brand identity is all about in the other properties I have experienced so this seems totally in line with what the brand is supposed to be. The music blaring at the Moxy in NYC makes more sense to me than the music blaring at a Moxy at the Milan, Frankfurt or Vienna airport.

The room pics are a bit surprising to me as they vary from the typical Moxy decor. The decor looks more like an ACE Hotel to me than the other Moxy's.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
https://www.cntraveler.com/story/mox...n-times-square

It is, in short, a hotel aimed at Millennials and their friends, a low-cost, high-style bunkhouse with some of the most thoughtful design we’ve seen since Ian Schrager's Public popped up on the Lower East Side this June."
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott, PP, Plat for life, Ambassador
I stayed here last weekend as a test run to see if we like it enough for future stays.

Its a super hip, trendy millennial pad. Rooms are super small but no noise from other rooms. OK for an overnight but no way for anything longer than that as I would be tripping over my bag. No closet, no ironing board (they do provide a steamer which worked surprising well), bathroom sink is in the room.

Everything is obviously brand new, staff was bright, young and cheery. Yes there is music a little on the loud side in every public space including the elevators. If they are marketing to the millennials...it was funny that all of the other guests were 40 plus. Both of the bars serve excellent cocktails, the indor bar had a DJ.

Ill stay there for a short stay if the Algonquin and the Lexington are booked. Its a nice hotel, just not my speed. Oh, its not exactly in Times Square....More like Garment District.
LPCJr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.