Community
Wiki Posts
Search

eCertificate for stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by rooivalk
does anyone know if I book a 45k/night property today that is going up to 60k/night post-merger, and if I do not order the e-certificates until after the merger in August, what rate would I be charged? 45k or 60k?
The lower amount as is confirmed in your email. If you make any changes to the reservation the rate will reset to the higher rate, so if there is a chance you may need to change anything you might want to hold a second reservation at the lower rate until your plans are set. Many people have done this and you will find there are many racing right now to make reservations under the old rates who do not have the points yet.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:52 pm

OK so now I am more confused. In the mail today I got a Marriott Rewards Certificate for one night at Cat 4 property but it doesn't reference anything specific to my stay upcoming in Montana. I'm unclear if this is for the 5th night free on my five night stay or if this is totally separate from that. If part of my upcoming stay do I have to present this paper copy? This was DHL'd to Canada overnight - this must cost them a fortune sending these out. I don't get it.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'm a bit confused about your post. Did you have enough points in your account when you tried to order the e-certificate? If not, that's why they wanted to charge you for the missing points. Although you can book and get a confirmation number without having enough points in your account, you have to wait until you do have enough points before you order the e-certificate (unless you want to buy those points).

I did. Needed 80K points and I had 102K after transferring 33,000SPG into Marriott which happened near instantaneously. I am thinking that although it showed I had those points that the back end of their system was not updated or something like that.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by thedude99
OK so now I am more confused. In the mail today I got a Marriott Rewards Certificate for one night at Cat 4 property but it doesn't reference anything specific to my stay upcoming in Montana. I'm unclear if this is for the 5th night free on my five night stay or if this is totally separate from that. If part of my upcoming stay do I have to present this paper copy? This was DHL'd to Canada overnight - this must cost them a fortune sending these out. I don't get it.
This has nothing to do with your fifth night free nor your five night reservation. CC certs and the like are all done electronically now, too. Does this cert show in your online account? Marriott used to issue some certs that you had to bring to the hotel but it has been about fifteen years since I have seen those. What was the return address on your DHL envelope and have you tried to call Marriott to ask them about it?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Question related to eCertificate, and didn't want to start a new thread:

- I booked a points stay, and didn't have enough points in my account at the time
- A few months later, I called the hotel directly to add a 3rd person to the stay, and they updated my reservation accordingly with no problem
- Now finally I have enough points in my account, and I see:

Great! You’ve earned all the points you need.
Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival.

- I thought, why not deduct immediately? So I clicked on that option, and then I was brought to a page where it shows that when I redeem the points, the reservation will change to 2 people per room, and below that it shows the "old" reservation with 3 people, and a button to confirm the change or cancel the transaction.

Naturally, I cancelled the transaction, because I don't want to change the reservation to 2 people only.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Should I call in to Marriott? Wait for the points to deduct automatically? This is for a room in Italy where it is important for the number of people in the reservation to correspond to the number of people who show up (i.e. will not work to "sneak" someone in).

Edited to add: I also noticed that in the "new" reservation that shows up on the confirmation page, not only does the number of people on the reservation decrease from 3 to 2, the deadline to cancel the whole reservation moves up from 1 day before check in to tomorrow (i.e. the reservation changes to non-refundable booking).

Last edited by flaii; Mar 13, 2019 at 3:56 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flaii
Question related to eCertificate, and didn't want to start a new thread:

- I booked a points stay, and didn't have enough points in my account at the time
- A few months later, I called the hotel directly to add a 3rd person to the stay, and they updated my reservation accordingly with no problem
- Now finally I have enough points in my account, and I see:

Great! You’ve earned all the points you need.
Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival.

- I thought, why not deduct immediately? So I clicked on that option, and then I was brought to a page where it shows that when I redeem the points, the reservation will change to 2 people per room, and below that it shows the "old" reservation with 3 people, and a button to confirm the change or cancel the transaction.

Naturally, I cancelled the transaction, because I don't want to change the reservation to 2 people only.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Should I call in to Marriott? Wait for the points to deduct automatically? This is for a room in Italy where it is important for the number of people in the reservation to correspond to the number of people who show up (i.e. will not work to "sneak" someone in).

Edited to add: I also noticed that in the "new" reservation that shows up on the confirmation page, not only does the number of people on the reservation decrease from 3 to 2, the deadline to cancel the whole reservation moves up from 1 day before check in to tomorrow (i.e. the reservation changes to non-refundable booking).
Just to follow-up on my previous question, in the end I let the points be deducted automatically to see what would happen (since I figured it couldn't be worse than clicking "deduct now" and accept worse cancellation terms and a reduction in the number of guests). I now see that my booking maintained the number of guests and the more generous cancellation terms of the original booking. So it was good to wait for the automatic deduction, rather than click "deduct now."
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.