Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cape Town, South Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Cape Town, South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Bump! Staying in CapeTown next November. Safe and walkable to restaurants is a plus - we can always Uber to the water. Looking at AC, SeaPoint, Fire and Ice and Orange on 15. Clean and comfortable needed. Higher end optional.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Bump! Staying in CapeTown next November. Safe and walkable to restaurants is a plus - we can always Uber to the water. Looking at AC, SeaPoint, Fire and Ice and Orange on 15. Clean and comfortable needed. Higher end optional.
Never stayed at the Protea in Sea Point, but the other hotels are fine. All 4 are in safe locations.

Fire & Ice and Orange 15 will do nicely if you are going to end up on Long Street for a bit of nightlife and want to be able to walk home.

SeaPoint is a nicer area to be during the daytime, but I'm less certain about decent restaurants in the evening.

It's not an issue getting a taxi or an Uber to/from V&A so you might as well choose based on budget / recent reviews...
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
Did stay at the V&A as well as the Sea Point last month as a Platinum...

Sea Point...plenty of top restaurants less than 5 minutes walk...main road is pretty safe to work at night. Was upgraded to one of their few top suite...beware...they have few suites, so once covid will be over...guess the upgrade will be more difficult. Very nice and cheap propoerty...

V&A Protea....you are at the Aquarium end....super cheap too...was upgraded to a junior suite....it's actually a big room. Decent...the advantage here is that you can safely walk to the V&A.

Westin has for now stop to provide the shuttle to the V&A...and there is nothing walkable next to the hotel in the evening. Lounge is not anymore on the top floor but on the mezzanine. Even with a good price, I'm not sure I would stay there again, they just don't make Platinum feel home....if you compare with all Proteas who are way way cheaper...
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Stayed at the AC a few weeks ago, best bang for your buck imo, gets the essentials right. Avoid protea Victoria Junction like your life depends on it. The Westin CT is one of my favourite properties in the Marriott portfolio and well worth the extra if it can fit in your budget.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Williamsb747
Stayed at the AC a few weeks ago, best bang for your buck imo, gets the essentials right. Avoid protea Victoria Junction like your life depends on it. The Westin CT is one of my favourite properties in the Marriott portfolio and well worth the extra if it can fit in your budget.
The AC looks decent for 70k points for five nights. 15 on Orange looks a bit more fun and possibly better hard product though.

What do you like about the Westin Cape Town? I’m looking at booking it for a stay in October. I’m not massively price sensitive.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
Westin has for now stop to provide the shuttle to the V&A...and there is nothing walkable next to the hotel in the evening. Lounge is not anymore on the top floor but on the mezzanine. Even with a good price, I'm not sure I would stay there again, they just don't make Platinum feel home....if you compare with all Proteas who are way way cheaper...
FWIW in Nov. 2019 as a Plat I got an upgraded category (but not suite) from the base level room booked on points at the Westin. After check-in they asked me to wait because one of the duty managers (who had sent me a pre-arrival email) wanted to meet me. Personally I'm not big on that sort of thing, esp. since it had been a looong travel day from the US West Coast so when he asked "how are you doing?" and I said "glad to be here, but tired " he said "I won't keep you long then". In the room there was a tray with some tiny desserts, an apple, and a small dish of biltong.
Old Dec 20, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Could you further elaborate please? Thanks

James
Old Dec 21, 2020, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
The AC looks decent for 70k points for five nights. 15 on Orange looks a bit more fun and possibly better hard product though.

What do you like about the Westin Cape Town? I’m looking at booking it for a stay in October. I’m not massively price sensitive.
Service across the board was great even when compared to higher ranked hotels in CT and in other countries, having jumped between the one and only CT, Westin, AC and protea vic junction on this stay, imo the Westin had the best service by a large margin.
The rooms are great and views even better. Location is good if leisure (which I was) and great when on business. Breakfast left lots to be desired mid covid but in normal times rivals top hotel breakfasts in SE Asia. Definitely my first choice in CT.

Last edited by Williamsb747; Dec 21, 2020 at 3:02 am
Old Dec 21, 2020, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Could you further elaborate please? Thanks

James
The protea looks and feels like a sleazy brothel and the clientele reaffirmed that thought.

The beds are uncomfortable and sinking in the middle. The rooms are basic and decor felt unfinished, with the exposed brick, rather than whatever they were trying to go for. Service was meh and I received nothing for my Bonvoy status. The breakfast was good for the level of hotel and cappuccino excellent (restaurants/coffee shops can't not have good coffee in Cape Town so no applause for protea).

For 500 rand a night I could've lived happily with the issues bar the brothel bit but the 1000 rand a night I paid felt like a ripoff.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Higher end..

I've stayed at the Westin for work, Dock House and Ellerman House in June 2019 for pleasure.

https://newmarkhotels.com/places/hot...outique-hotel/

https://www.ellerman.co.za/

It really depends what your needs are. The wife loved the dock house being dead center of the V&A, so literally not having to walk the streets and with Ubers plenty nearby you never had to wait.
Westin was good, (I'm a Tit) daytime you could walk to the V&A but once the evening rolled around, was told don't.
Ellerman, probably tops in Cape area and along the water. Service is outstanding.

Two restaurants that were memorable;
https://www.codfather.co.za/ Located in Camps Bay
https://goldrestaurant.co.za/ Cape Proper.

If you enjoy Gin...Smaller distillery;
https://pienaarandson.co.za/
Old Dec 22, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
I stayed in 15 on Orange last year. The location is good, next to the park, but a little bit far from the waterfront. There's also an excellent restaurant over the road called Societi Bistro.

The room itself was very comfortable, and new spec. The views of Table mountain were the real highlight from the room.

However, the build quality was questionable. A plumbing issue on the floor above caused water to start flowing from the ceiling into our bathroom, I was worried the ceiling was going to give way with the amount of water coming through from multiple points.

They made it right with me and comped the night for the inconvenience. So assuming that I had a bizarre one off, I would recommend others to stay.

The breakfast spread - pre-Covid - was great. No complaints.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: None - previously UA
The Westin doesn't seem to be bookable after Oct 30, whats up with that?

I wonder if this property will ever be available:

https://www.designhotels.com/hotels/...rgeous-george/
Old Dec 22, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by escapefromphl

Probably just not selling for those dates yet. Hotels often only open inventory ten to 11 months ahead. You could always email them and ask!
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2020, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl

Gorgeous George is open and available for booking but weirdly only through the design hotel website not the actual Marriott website.

https://www.designhotels.com/hotels/...dult=2&Child=0
Old Dec 23, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Gorgeous George is open and available for booking but weirdly only through the design hotel website not the actual Marriott website.

https://www.designhotels.com/hotels/...dult=2&Child=0
Friends of mine stayed there last year and LOVED it, but unfortunately the property doesn't participate in the Bonvoy program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.