Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Autograph Collection - Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur, Autograph Collection - Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
I just completed 2 stays in KL in July. 5 night in Ren and 1 night in Majestic

Ren: Great location, right across a monorail station so easy commute to Bukit Bintang & KL Pavillion. Less than 10 mins talk to Suria KLCC.
Lounge is decent and reasonably quiet. The lounge in west wing is closed so you have to go to East wing (no issue). Lounge has decent spread during cocktail hours, nothing to write home about though.
Complimentary breakfast can be had either in the lounge or at the restaurant. Restaurant obviously has better spread.
We booked the cheapest room (a non-refundable rate about 280RM + tax a night) and were upgraded to a nice Club Suite on 10th floor of west wing with a view of KL tower.

Majestic: Very nice hotel.
Interesting lounge, almost no guests during the day and very few during cocktail hours. There is no buffet spread, they bring you a platter of food and if you run out, you can ask for another platter. If you are a vegetarian, they can get you a vegetarian platter too (takes a little longer, which is reasonable).
Complimentary breakfast can be had either in the lounge or at the restaurant. Restaurant obviously has better spread.
We booked the cheapest room for 399+taxes and were upgraded to a very nice suite in the corner on 11th floor (premier suite). The room had a large living and bedroom with 1.5 bath. Living room had enough space to have a couch, a dining table and still have a lot of space. Bathroom had a separate tub and shower.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 3:34 am

Off topic: Uber works very well in KL and is much more reasonably priced than local cabs. We were able to also find a 5RM off per ride coupon which made it ridiculously cheap.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I just completed 2 stays in KL in July. 5 night in Ren and 1 night in Majestic

Ren: Great location, right across a monorail station so easy commute to Bukit Bintang & KL Pavillion. Less than 10 mins talk to Suria KLCC.
Lounge is decent and reasonably quiet. The lounge in west wing is closed so you have to go to East wing (no issue). Lounge has decent spread during cocktail hours, nothing to write home about though.
We booked the cheapest room (a non-refundable rate about 280RM + tax a night) and were upgraded to a nice Club Suite on 10th floor of west wing with a view of KL tower.

Majestic: Very nice hotel.
Interesting lounge, almost no guests during the day and very few during cocktail hours. There is no buffet spread, they bring you a platter of food and if you run out, you can ask for another platter. If you are a vegetarian, they can get you a vegetarian platter too (takes a little longer, which is reasonable).
We booked the cheapest room for 399+taxes and were upgraded to a very nice suite in the corner on 11th floor (premier suite). The room had a large living and bedroom with 1.5 bath. Living room had enough space to have a couch, a dining table and still have a lot of space. Bathroom had a separate tub and shower.
What was on the food platter? Did you get a choice?
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
What was on the food platter? Did you get a choice?
When I was there, the choice was a sandwich platter or a finger food platter. You don't choose item, you choose one of the two platters. I chose the finger food platter, but was brought the sandwich platter. It was a platter of four small sandwiches. That's about as much as I can say.

While I liked the hotel so much, even the club, the ordering platters was my one gripe. The lounge is very confortable, but small, so it makes sense why they do this.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
When I was there, the choice was a sandwich platter or a finger food platter. You don't choose item, you choose one of the two platters. I chose the finger food platter, but was brought the sandwich platter. It was a platter of four small sandwiches. That's about as much as I can say.

While I liked the hotel so much, even the club, the ordering platters was my one gripe. The lounge is very confortable, but small, so it makes sense why they do this.
Without seeing it, the food offering sounds pathetic for Asia. What was the drink selection like? Complimentary wine, including champagne/sparking wine?

I'm still trying to figure out where to stay for 3 weeks. Might have to switch back and forth between hotels as I'd like to save some money by maximizing food in the lounge.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jul 19, 2017 at 5:45 am
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:46 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I'm still trying to figure out where to stay for 3 weeks. Might have to switch back and forth between hotels as I'd like to save some money by maximizing food in the lounge.
Save money by maximizing food in the lounge.. OMG that is a big sin to commit if you are in Malaysia. You are in one of the best (street)food capital in the world and you want to save on food by eating in the lounge.
You are missing out and most probably chosen the wrong destination to spend 3 weeks....(even if you are on a business trip from the sound of it of staying 3 weeks in KL)

Sorry for going off-topic, but just could not help it.

Cheers!
TravelToNom likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The Majestic lounge's evening food offerings are less than what you would find at other properties, but I'm with the poster above. You've got great inexpensive food offerings a short distance away. The Ren's lounge is more consistent with other Asian properties in its offerings. I'm not sure about alcohol. I'm not much of a drinker.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Save money by maximizing food in the lounge.. OMG that is a big sin to commit if you are in Malaysia. You are in one of the best (street)food capital in the world and you want to save on food by eating in the lounge.
You are missing out and most probably chosen the wrong destination to spend 3 weeks....(even if you are on a business trip from the sound of it of staying 3 weeks in KL)

Sorry for going off-topic, but just could not help it.

Cheers!
I don't like ethnic food.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl

It's still the same. I am vegetarian so I asked for vegetarian platter and somehow that's more vegetarian food that I find anywhere else.

For normal food eating people, the lounge food at majestic is definitely a bummer.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Excellent hotel

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

5 Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin Kuala Lumpur, MY 50000

Excellent hotel (6 Photos)

Check In

Very quick checkin with welcome drink. Friendly staff.

Room

Large room with very comfortable bed and large bathroom.

Service

Excellent service throughout. Slow wifi.

Dining

Excellent, fresh and tasty breakfast with both western and Asian options.

Not the greatest location.

Overall

I'd stay at the Majestic Hotel again for sure. Excellent value for money.IMG_3860.JPGIMG_3861.JPGIMG_3868.JPGIMG_3870.JPGIMG_3873.JPGIMG_3884.JPG

Excellent hotel

Would you like to write a review on the The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:47 am
Suspended

It seems as if everyone has stayed in the newer wing. Does anyone have experience with the old, colonial-era wing?
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:14 pm

The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur - The (not so) Majestic

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

5 Jalan Sultan Hishamuddin Kuala Lumpur, MY 50000

The (not so) Majestic (0 Photo)

We stayed at The Majestic during our honeymoon in 2015. As such, do keep in mind that the review may now be outdated.

We didn't particularly enjoy our stay here - perhaps because it came after a superlative jaunt at The Datai in Langkawi, perhaps because of how disappointed we were with Kuala Lumpur in general. 

Booking

Simple online booking. Quite efficient. 

Transfers

We simply cabbed it from the smaller and nearer Subang Airport. If you're arriving at KLIA, you can take the train to the city centre, and then a complimentary hotel coach.

While The Majestic was quite central when it first opened nearly a century ago, its now quite off-centre. The historic sights are a reasonable walk away, but the hotspots of Bukit Bintang are a taxi ride away. The beautiful old KL station is just across the street, but its only useful for suburban commuter rides.

To make up, though, the hotel offers complimentary shuttles to KL Sentral station, the public transportation hub of the city, and to Bukit Bintang. These are quite convenient.

Check In

Very business-y. You stand, you give documents, and you wait for a key. No welcome drinks, no bell boys whisking away your luggage, no please be seated while I take care of you. But the staff was warm enough. 

Room

Since there wasn't much of a difference in price, we opted for a Junior Suite in the Tower wing over the Deluxe Room. It has a large open plan bedroom with a living area, and glitzy bathroom. Its a good looking space, with somewhat decent views of the city skyline (no Petronas though). 

Other rooms seemed to be larger or smaller variations of this. However, the fanciest are the suites in the original historic wing, which come with their own butlers and all period paraphernalia. 

Service

Disappointing. Not one acknowledgement of our honeymoon, not one sign of 'we're happy you're staying with us'. We felt neglected. To top it all of, we were positively sure that our room had been smoked in by a cleaner, but the floor staff denied it and only air sprayed things. 

Dining

There's a decent tasting and humongous breakfast on offer. In-room dining is fairly nice and beautifully presented. We didn't try any other dining options here - we spent much of our time elsewhere in the city. 

Design

Art Deco meets Colonial makes for a very agreeable aesthetic at the Majestic. Its a very beautiful looking hotel, IMO. The tower wing, however, is quite bland from the outside. 

Ambience

While the heritage wing has some amount of period romance and glamour, the tower wing is a good looking business hotel at best. There was a good mix of leisure and business travellers her, and breakfasts could be quite packed and noisy. It's safe to say that its a routine city hotel ambience on offer. 

Overall

Service really sullied our stay at The Majestic, which otherwise has a good hard product in place. It should ideally be two hotels - a boutique heritage hotel, and a separate tower business hotel. As of now, they just end up being two disparate experiences within the same branding. 

Photos

I was so disappointed with this place that I did not take any photos. Alas. 

The (not so) Majestic

Would you like to write a review on the The Majestic Hotel Kuala Lumpur?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Does anyone have experience with the old, colonial-era wing?

I was told by colleagues to never accept any rooms in the colonial-era wing. Apparently, there has been reports of "supernatural" activity in this wing.

Any thoughts about the facilities? Wondering if I should pack some gym gear for an overnight trip.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:50 am
Suspended

So, I just finished a 1-night stay.

1) Staff were friendly, but not well trained. There were, however, staff everywhere. Obviously, labor is cheap in Malaysia. The best staff were the bellmen, in my opinion.

2) This property doesn't use the Marriott application, including for online check-in. Formalities took 10 minutes at the desk, which is beyond frustrating. There also wasn't an elite check-in desk.

3) Breakfast buffet in lobby restaurant was disappointing. For example, no oatmeal or even granola. Staff in restaurant didn't speak English beyond basic conversational English.

4) Usual Marriott elite benefits. I was "upgraded" to a suite in the old wing, which was quaint but the old wing is dilapidated. Walls need painting. Ceilings have water stains. Carpeting is also stained. Windows were ancient, moldy and pealing with paint. Not that I'd open the windows, as they all faced inwards toward a courtyard. Decor was classic, which was fine. But obviously maintenance just isn't being done. There was what appeared to be mold throughout the sink basin. Bathroom tiles, particularly in the shower, desperately needed re-grouting.

5) Exterior of hotel, both new and old wings, need paint. This is especially visible by the rooftop pool area of the new wing.

6) The pool itself was closed in the old wing. The new wing pool, on the rooftop, was a nice space but the pool tiles needed replacing or at least a good cleaning. Using the new wing pool required you to parade through public spaces in swimming attire. There is no bar or attendants at the rooftop pool, which adjoins the fitness facility. The fitness facility is very nice.

7) No newspapers were delivered nor was there any welcome letter explaining services and amenities.

8) Bed was super comfortable. Lots of pillows.

9) Oddly, there was no clock in the bedroom or in the living room of the suite in the old wing. Stupid.

10) TV selection was extremely limited. No BBC or CNN.

11) I also saw a dead reptile in the stairs of the old wing. The railings were filthy with dust.

12) Concierge/executive/club lounge was spacious. You could leave the lounge with beverages, including Pepsi, Diet Pepsi and bottles of water that otherwise would have cost you money from the mini-fridge.

I can see why paid rates are under $90. Classic hotel with lots of charm and potential, but the owners just aren't maintaining the property.
Alawyer likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:58 am

Does anyone know what are the operating hours of the club lounge? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.