FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1815452-laylow-autograph-collection-honolulu-waikiki-hawaii-master-thread.html)

sutho May 21, 2017 8:11 am

Unfortunately I can only choose between the Laylow and Marriott Waikiki beach, as I have a 7 day category 8 vacation package.

Ultimately decided on The Laylow as they have two king bed rooms (got three children), and is newer.
Disappointed about the lack of breakfast options at concierge level, so I guess got the added expense of paying for breakfast each morning.

Would have loved to be able to use the vacation package at one of the SPG properties,
maybe next year when they merge.

Scottmlew, why was your colleague negative about the property?

ikwia May 21, 2017 11:29 am

Originally Posted by sutho (Post 28340351)
why was your colleague negative about the property?

His biggest issue was the misrepresentation regarding the "lounge". He stayed very close to opening, and they were claiming to have an "executive lounge", without any mention that it did not meet the standards of a traditional Marriott-family lounge...he feels that he was even led to believe (prior to his stay) that the "lounge" would include evening food and drink options. He also had some complaints about ongoing work to finish up the property, which he felt was being done at inappropriate times for a leisure-centric property, and a staff that was either apathetic or overly aggressive in trying to be "helpful".

margarita girl May 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28326271)
But getting charged a resort fee to stay on Kuhio in a property that's also deliberately dodging the elite breakfast benefit? I join in the "no thank you."

And the last wasteland benefit:

SW waives the resort fee for Platinums if you ask nicely in exchange for paying a la carte for the items you do use.

SkiAdcock May 21, 2017 8:58 pm

I think the bottom line for this property (as mentioned up thread) is:

"This hotel is ideal for non-elite guests on leisure trips. Not for business travelers and not for Marriott elites."

Cheers.

db07mufan May 22, 2017 3:44 am

Thanks for the insights.

Have 5 nights to book in HNL, am torn between this and Marriott Resort Waikiki as they're more or less the same price. Which one would you guys recommend. I have Marriott Gold elite

edgewood49 May 22, 2017 7:12 am

Originally Posted by db07mufan (Post 28343338)
Thanks for the insights.

Have 5 nights to book in HNL, am torn between this and Marriott Resort Waikiki as they're more or less the same price. Which one would you guys recommend. I have Marriott Gold elite

Hands down Marriott "on" the beach

hockeyinsider May 24, 2017 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 28316671)

Now I'm reading the hotel currently provides a minimal breakfast to Elite level guests, seemingly only slightly better than what guests get at a $50 per night TraveLodge.

No thank you.

The Laylow obviously doesn't care about guests. I've emailed the hotel three times about a June stay to no response.

hockeyinsider May 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Here's the big Q. Is there somewhere else in Hawaii that I should go? I have five nights in June. I don't drink a lot of alcoholic, but appreciate decent wine at night. I do, however, value a good breakfast as I awake by 5-5:30 a.m. every morning. Should I go to another island?

sutho May 24, 2017 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28355309)
The Laylow obviously doesn't care about guests. I've emailed the hotel three times about a June stay to no response.

Did you use this email address below?
They replied back to me within a day:
[email protected]

I also have the personal email for the front desk manager.

hockeyinsider May 24, 2017 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sutho (Post 28355554)
Did you use this email address below?
They replied back to me within a day:
[email protected]

I also have the personal email for the front desk manager.

I've emailed the general manager directly.

SkiAdcock May 24, 2017 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28355563)

It stuns me that you're willing to stay at a property that does a piss poor job on offering brekkie, or are you going to try & get a lot of bonus points out of it?

Cheers.

sutho May 24, 2017 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28355563)

Then maybe email someone else there, if you are getting no response from the general manager.
Maybe the email address I posted before?

SkiAdcock May 24, 2017 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28355347)
Should I go to another island?

To answer this question. Pick another property than the Laylow & yes, other Marriott properties on different islands get good reviews.

Cheers.

Horace May 24, 2017 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider (Post 28355347)
Should I go to another island?

Hawaii has a number of resorts under the Marriott and Autograph Collection brands, but -- with the exception of The Laylow -- they are all resort properties, and so are exempt from the Gold/Platinum lounge/breakfast benefit.

The Laylow is an Autograph Collection hotel property, which means the Gold/Platinum lounge/breakfast benefit officially applies -- but this thread describes that the management of The Laylow has chosen to provide a coffee machine and a box of pastries or doughnuts, instead of anything resembling a true full-service Marriott Elite breakfast benefit. This makes me wonder how The Laylow deals with other Elite benefits.

Hawaii also has Courtyard and Marriott Vacation Club properties, but these brands do not offer a breakfast benefit for any guests (except those who book rates that includes breakfast).

Of course, there's a lot more to any vacation than breakfast. The emphasis on "free" breakfast in this thread is only because The Laylow seems to have a competitive advantage for attracting Gold/Platinum Marriott guests.

Marriott, Autograph Collection, and Courtyard properties should try to provide upgrades (such as better views) to Gold/Platinum guests.

Marriott Vacation Club properties do not provide upgrades because of how timeshare inventory works.

In other words, Gold and Platinum guests have many choices on Hawaii. There's no single "best choice," because much depends on what you want to see and do in Hawaii.

Don't forget the Starwood properties in Hawaii.

SkiAdcock May 25, 2017 6:03 am

Good summary Horace.

Cheers.