FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Laylow, Autograph Collection -- Honolulu/Waikiki, Hawaii [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1815452-laylow-autograph-collection-honolulu-waikiki-hawaii-master-thread.html)

SkiAdcock Mar 18, 2017 7:44 am

Originally Posted by izzik (Post 28051854)
I don't know why they changed the name.. but it's now The Laylow, not The Okina.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll get the mod to change the thread title.

Cheers.

ikwia Mar 20, 2017 9:07 pm

They are taking reservations for a bit earlier than Apr 1-- at least as early as Mar 26.

Rifleman69 Apr 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Will be there for one night on April 21st.

Horace Apr 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rifleman69 (Post 28179395)
Will be there for one night on April 21st.

Please report back. Thanks.

The first ten reviews on Tripadvisor are all "Excellent (5)." That's a good start for The Laylow, Autograph Collection.

The hotel's name seems odd to me.

Then again, the pre-opening name (The ʻOkina, Autograph Collection) seemed odd to me too. Why would a hotel be named after a glottal stop and the a punctuation mark that denotes it (even if ʻokina is a Hawaiian word)?

Rifleman69 Apr 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Here now, place is nice and clean. Taxi drivers forgot it got renamed, I think he called it the original name first when I told him where we were going to.

Two king bedroom is nice, they're doing major construction around this hotel so it's not quiet during the day, added on the breakfast option on hotels.com which includes an entree each plus non-alcoholic drink for $10....can't complain!

Price is cheaper than many hotels around here too.

sutho Apr 22, 2017 8:19 am

I just changed my booking from the Marriott waikiki beach resort to this hotel in July,
fingers crossed I made the correct choice.

Looks like this one has a lounge and obviously is new, which has helped sway me so far.
Kids will now have to walk 6 minutes to the beach though, which is a negative.

Rifleman69 Apr 22, 2017 10:07 am

Originally Posted by sutho (Post 28214614)
I just changed my booking from the Marriott waikiki beach resort to this hotel in July,
fingers crossed I made the correct choice.

Looks like this one has a lounge and obviously is new, which has helped sway me so far.
Kids will now have to walk 6 minutes to the beach though, which is a negative.

Poor kids. lol Head east out of the hotel, it's much faster to the beach.

The lounge is nice, not sure how covered all of it is but will know at breakfast!

edgewood49 Apr 22, 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Rifleman69 (Post 28214984)
Poor kids. lol Head east out of the hotel, it's much faster to the beach.

The lounge is nice, not sure how covered all of it is but will know at breakfast!

Keep us posted and enjoy

Horace Apr 22, 2017 11:20 am

There's a fun and delicious Japanese noodle restaurant across Kuhio Ave from The Laylow, Autograph Collection. It's called Marukame Udon. The udon noodles are made from scratch in-house in front of you.

Lines often go out the door, but the line moves. When you get inside, you go down a short cafeteria-style line with tray. There's a menu with various preparations of the noodles. You can add items like shrimp tempura and vegetable tempura. Then, there's indoor seating where you can sit down wth your delicious meal.

Normally, I would not post a restaurant review on this forum, but this is a case where the location of a restaurant enhances the location of a hotel.

Rifleman69 May 2, 2017 7:55 am

Let me know if anyone wants a breakfast menu from the Laylow, thought I posted it originally but can't find it.

Horace May 2, 2017 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Rifleman69 (Post 28256326)
Let me know if anyone wants a breakfast menu from the Laylow, thought I posted it originally but can't find it.

I'd be very interested in how The Laylow, Autograph Collection is handling the lounge/breakfast benefit for Gold and Platinum guests.

Where do Gold and Platinum members go for breakfast? What choices are there? Is there good fresh fruit, considering that it's Hawaii? Good Hawaiian coffee?

Please also post to MASTER THREAD: Domestic & International Executive Lounges Open/Closed on Weekends, so that Sharon can update the list.

If I were choosing between the two full-service Marriott properties on Waikiki, the lounge/breakfast benefit would be an important factor in my decision.

Kacee May 2, 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 28215240)
There's a fun and delicious Japanese noodle restaurant across Kuhio Ave from The Laylow, Autograph Collection. It's called Marukame Udon. The udon noodles are made from scratch in-house in front of you.

Marukame is a treasure, and proximity is one of the real benefits of staying on the south end of Waikiki.

The tempura is also excellent.

edgewood49 May 2, 2017 9:36 am

So what's the verdict Is the Laylow a solid alternative ?

windhund May 2, 2017 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28256778)
Marukame is a treasure, and proximity is one of the real benefits of staying on the south end of Waikiki.

The tempura is also excellent.

Agreed completely. One reason to stay at this hotel, especially if you're short on time in Honolulu!

nineworldseries May 2, 2017 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 28179842)
Then again, the pre-opening name (The ʻOkina, Autograph Collection) seemed odd to me too. Why would a hotel be named after a glottal stop and the a punctuation mark that denotes it (even if ʻokina is a Hawaiian word)?

They should have just named it "ʔ"