Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Taipei Beitou [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aloft Taipei Beitou has closed out redemption availability for the coming months. There is nothing available other than cash rates for standard room category. My guess is they expect to be used as a quarantine hotel for the next few months and don't take points. OP likely booked before Aloft Taipei Beitou closed out redemption availability.

My experience with Marriott call center, or any call center for that matter, is that they simply check what shows on system, they don't really know what is going on locally. Hence, call center booked for OP based on system showing availability.

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 3, 2021 at 8:19 am
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by uanj
What explanation is the property giving you for this if you don't mind sharing more details? Are they saying the room reservations for a quarantine stay cannot be booked on points?
Yes, and that the listed points rate is a mistake in the reservations system. That is the part that is so difficult to understand. Many properties take points rates off of the rate choices during busy periods or for other reasons. It is very common for that to happen so why is it a "mistake" over a year into being a Covid quarantine hotel.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

Calling Marriott and mentioning quarantine makes me think you already know the potential result of what would have happened anyways. Did you get confirmation directly from the property about this? If so and subsequently changed, then should escalate. If you relied on the oh so good Marriott customer service line to tell you about quarantine requirements, then that will probably fall under a personal problem because what probably happened was you called and said you are booking the hotel for quarantining purposes, the rep looked up it was available for award reservation and booked it.
I'm going to disagree yet again. The onus for checking is to check which hotels are certified quarantine hotels for the Taiwan government. If I booked 15 nights at the Taipei Marriott on points, which is available in the app, then thought I was going to quarantine there it would be my mistake. I know full well the Aloft is a quarantine hotel because I had a recent stay there paid for by my company. When I went to book it for a personal quarantine of course I am going to see if there is a points rate available, just like I do for every other stay I make for personal reasons. The points rate showed up in the app so why would I think it is not going to be honored? Instead of just booking it via the app I did take the extra time to call reservations and confirm the rate was available at this "quarantine hotel" as well as assure that it would be okay for a minor to check-in on his own.

Originally Posted by myperks

what is your loss? Would you have paid for aloft quarantine package anyways? Did you miss out on another property now being sold out because you relied on this award reservation? Or are you just annoyed that you weren’t able to use your points for quarantining?
My loss is $2000 out of pocket versus points out of my Marriott account. Yes, I did miss out on other properties because they were selling fast with Taiwanese returning from summer vacation. What was remaining were crappy no window rooms near the Taipei train station or far more expensive options.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot
I'm going to disagree yet again. The onus for checking is to check which hotels are certified quarantine hotels for the Taiwan government. If I booked 15 nights at the Taipei Marriott on points, which is available in the app, then thought I was going to quarantine there it would be my mistake. I know full well the Aloft is a quarantine hotel because I had a recent stay there paid for by my company. When I went to book it for a personal quarantine of course I am going to see if there is a points rate available, just like I do for every other stay I make for personal reasons. The points rate showed up in the app so why would I think it is not going to be honored? Instead of just booking it via the app I did take the extra time to call reservations and confirm the rate was available at this "quarantine hotel" as well as assure that it would be okay for a minor to check-in on his own.

My loss is $2000 out of pocket versus points out of my Marriott account. Yes, I did miss out on other properties because they were selling fast with Taiwanese returning from summer vacation. What was remaining were crappy no window rooms near the Taipei train station or far more expensive options.
Being that you knew the aloft was a quarantine hotel, why would you expect your points to also cover the board piece? I’m sure you were expecting to just order from the room service menu all 15 days and called it a day (or food delivery service)

Your best course of action was to talk with the hotel directly but I have a feeling you knew it would not go your way if you asked the hotel directly. Just weird that something this important you relied on a central reservation rep (whom probably didn’t even understand what you were asking about) rather than discussing with the hotel.

anyways. Hope your minor has a good stay at the property. Although the rooms are small, it’s overall a good choice (price versus value) as far as quarantine hotel goes.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: UA,AC,DL,AA
I consider booking A Loft Beitou for my quarantine in TPE and I just wondering if anyone knows that If the elite benefits that can be used with the Quarantine rate (such as room upgrade or extra elite point).
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by oh101
I consider booking A Loft Beitou for my quarantine in TPE and I just wondering if anyone knows that If the elite benefits that can be used with the Quarantine rate (such as room upgrade or extra elite point).
No room upgrade, but you might get a higher floor. The points earned are calculated with the Elite Bonus. No chance for SNUs. It shouldn't matter that it is quarantine hotel or not in regards to the SNUs, but they have chosen not to do any upgrades. This hotels decisions really are disappointing.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:55 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Note that Marriott gift cards are not accepted at the hotel, for reasons related to covid per the hotel.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Anyone stayed here within the last few months? TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.