FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1795782-wailea-beach-marriott-resort-spa-maui-hawaii-master-thread.html)

DJ_Iceman Oct 13, 2019 8:03 am

I was there a month ago. It is pastry+drink for elite member +1, or 1000 points per day.

Kacee Oct 13, 2019 10:01 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 31623265)
I was there a month ago. It is pastry+drink for elite member +1, or 1000 points per day.

Are you sure that's not 1000 points per stay? That's what the rules provide.

And what a pathetic excuse for a breakfast benefit ;)

wanderlust99 Oct 14, 2019 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31623551)

Ahh, but you also get a fruit cup! So it's a Starbucks beverage, pastry, and fruit cup for you +1! And, if you want, they will let you pay the difference to upgrade to another breakfast item (sandwich, etc.).

And agreed. It gets the job done (re: not starving) but it pales in comparison to breakfasts offered elsewhere.

DJ_Iceman Oct 14, 2019 7:04 am

Yes, Kacee, it was 1000 points PER DAY which made the choice a little more palatable. Maybe that's just because I'm Ambassador, or maybe that's for all platinums and above--I'm not sure.

seawolf Oct 14, 2019 7:30 am

Thanks for clarifying the breakfast. Debating between Hyatt, Marriott, Ritz, or Westin for Christmas.

edgewood49 Oct 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31623551)

No worse than the Laylow

escapefromphl Oct 14, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 31626376)
Yes, Kacee, it was 1000 points PER DAY which made the choice a little more palatable. Maybe that's just because I'm Ambassador, or maybe that's for all platinums and above--I'm not sure.

1000 points is still only worth about $8, so 2X pastry & coffee will under most circumstances be the way to go.

edgewood49 Oct 15, 2019 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 31627651)
1000 points is still only worth about $8, so 2X pastry & coffee will under most circumstances be the way to go.

makes sense

emag_eh7 Nov 20, 2019 9:38 am

Staying here over Thanksgiving, and starting to get very excited for our first trip to Hawaii! :) Our stay starts in a week, is there anything I should be doing now to make sure we have the best stay possible? I'm Titanium Elite and have SNAs applied, not expecting much there though. I've been in contact with the concierge to help with a few small things. All our excursions are already booked, and no plans to use a cabana. Anything else?

I saw a DP on reddit of someone that was able to talk someone at the hotel into crediting them for proper breakfast at the hotel restaurant (not Starbucks) each day of their stay because of their Titanium Elite status, has this worked for anyone else? Breakfast is a necessity for me, so I'd definitely prefer that, but also really hate any kind of confrontation, even over email. I mentioned a full breakfast to the concierge a few weeks ago and they essentially ignored it, just responding to the rest of my email.

edgewood49 Nov 20, 2019 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by emag_eh7 (Post 31758190)
Staying here over Thanksgiving, and starting to get very excited for our first trip to Hawaii! :) Our stay starts in a week, is there anything I should be doing now to make sure we have the best stay possible? I'm Titanium Elite and have SNAs applied, not expecting much there though. I've been in contact with the concierge to help with a few small things. All our excursions are already booked, and no plans to use a cabana. Anything else?

I saw a DP on reddit of someone that was able to talk someone at the hotel into crediting them for proper breakfast at the hotel restaurant (not Starbucks) each day of their stay because of their Titanium Elite status, has this worked for anyone else? Breakfast is a necessity for me, so I'd definitely prefer that, but also really hate any kind of confrontation, even over email. I mentioned a full breakfast to the concierge a few weeks ago and they essentially ignored it, just responding to the rest of my email.

I doubt you'll get much traction other than what we all have reported. Walk over to the shopping center restaurants closer to major hotels are doing better these days with the decreased value on status.

DJ_Iceman Nov 20, 2019 6:57 pm

I also recommend breakfast at the Whale's Tale beachfront shack. It is part of the resort, so you can charge to your room. They have a limited but delicious menu with (by Hawaii resort standards) reasonable prices. You can also sit right there by the ocean to enjoy the food.

edgewood49 Nov 21, 2019 6:51 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 31760101)
I also recommend breakfast at the Whale's Tale beachfront shack. It is part of the resort, so you can charge to your room. They have a limited but delicious menu with (by Hawaii resort standards) reasonable prices. You can also sit right there by the ocean to enjoy the food.

Good point

Amy28 Nov 21, 2019 1:13 pm

I have a 5 night points stay here next year for Spring Break. My parents are staying at the Residence Inn 5 minutes away. Just wondering if they will have a problem joining us at the pool/beach some of the days. Is there a wristband system or anything? Thanks.

Ellvizzle Nov 21, 2019 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Amy28 (Post 31763090)
I have a 5 night points stay here next year for Spring Break. My parents are staying at the Residence Inn 5 minutes away. Just wondering if they will have a problem joining us at the pool/beach some of the days. Is there a wristband system or anything? Thanks.

No wristband system that I recall, but you might have to be strategic about parking if they plan to drive to you...my recollection from our stay last year is that the options were valet or the parking structure that I believe was accessed with the room key. And I believe parking at the shopping center next door is time limited. Others may be able to speak to this.

As an aside, in the commercial center next to the RI, we had excellent massages through Maui Deep Tissue Massage. And Monkeypod just up the street from the RI was also great (make a reservation if you plan to eat there). :)

DJ_Iceman Nov 21, 2019 6:55 pm

There is indeed a wristband system for the pools, and they are pretty vigilant about checking for them around the pool areas. If you can put their names on your room reservation (so list four names even though only two of you are staying there) then they'll be fine.

Ellvizzle has the parking situation correct. They won't have to worry about any parking time limits at the adjacent Shops at Wailea, but depending on how mobile your parents are, they may not appreciate the somewhat long walk (which is up a decently steep hill).