Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Upgrade Experiences - Pre-Aug, 2018 Merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Upgrade Experiences - Pre-Aug, 2018 Merger

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:25 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by holocker
I was wondering if Ritz Carlton has recently changed their upgrade policy for Marriott Platinum's for the better or have I just been lucky. For my last 2 Ritz stays I was upgraded once to the Executive Level and on my current stay I was upgraded to a 1 Bedroom Residential Suite.
8 nights in RC this year as a RC platinum. I was upgraded to higher floors that cost a lot more. I have not been upgraded to any suites--though I booked a suite once and the floor was upgraded. I booked one club-level room and received that, too. I have another club-level room booked later this year, and I expect no upgrade. In general, I expect no upgrades at RC properties except for higher floor.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Can these certificates be stacked on point redemption stays?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:25 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by ajhun9
Can these certificates be stacked on point redemption stays?
No.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA
Upgrade at Ritz from Rewards Reservation

I'm staying at the Ritz Abama in the Canary Islands at the very end of our honeymoon in early January 2016 on points. I'm not familiar with Marriott and usually stick to SPG but we got in on the great 140k credit card deal.

We are Gold level with Ritz from the credit card/ purchases. I'm curious about the chance of being upgraded to the Club level or at least the adult only Tagor Villas. When we booked with points there was only one option and it doesn't seem like I can even use more points to upgrade the room.

Looking for any tips to get an upgraded room on our honeymoon! Thank you!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:01 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Expect to pay for those upgrades.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by KateMPH
I'm staying at the Ritz Abama in the Canary Islands at the very end of our honeymoon in early January 2016 on points. I'm not familiar with Marriott and usually stick to SPG but we got in on the great 140k credit card deal.

We are Gold level with Ritz from the credit card/ purchases. I'm curious about the chance of being upgraded to the Club level or at least the adult only Tagor Villas. When we booked with points there was only one option and it doesn't seem like I can even use more points to upgrade the room.

Looking for any tips to get an upgraded room on our honeymoon! Thank you!
Being upgraded to Club Level is extremely rare and is specifically excluded as an upgrade even for PLAT membership benefits. However, you can choose to pay between 100-150/person/night to get club access.

Can't speak to the Villas.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sig05
Being upgraded to Club Level is extremely rare and is specifically excluded as an upgrade even for PLAT membership benefits. However, you can choose to pay between 100-150/person/night to get club access.

Can't speak to the Villas.
The difference between a standard room and a club level room with access for 2 to lounge at this hotel is 100eu. Most club level upgrades are for two people, not per person.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The difference between a standard room and a club level room with access for 2 to lounge at this hotel is 100eu. Most club level upgrades are for two people, not per person.

I suppose I should have clarified that my experience was not with this particular hotel. In my experience it has been a per person charge.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose I should have clarified that my experience was not with this particular hotel. In my experience it has been a per person charge.
IME it has been per room unless you have more than 2 people in the room.

Generally 100 dollars for 1 OR 2 people, and more if more than 2.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
IME it has been per room unless you have more than 2 people in the room.

Generally 100 dollars for 1 OR 2 people, and more if more than 2.
Interesting, my experience has been the complete opposite. A $100 is a no brainer if you stay on property and eat three meals a day at the hotel.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
I would only upgrade on cash if you are planning on staying at the hotel. Those snacks and drinks really fill you up. They aren't a full entree but good enough to spoil your appetite for a dinner. (At least for me)
Old Nov 16, 2015, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting, my experience has been the complete opposite. A $100 is a no brainer if you stay on property and eat three meals a day at the hotel.
We have never done it. Holing up in a hotel is not what we do on vacation so it has never seemed worth it.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Per the terms I can confirm that you cannot upgrade to the club level on points. They might do you a favor and upgrade you for the occasion and status, but I would echo what other have said about it being quite rare. The upgrades I've got at Marriotts have always been much better than that of Ritz-Carlton while I still like both brands.

On my anniversary, we got a better view room as an upgrade on a cash stay in Puerto Rico that I used a free upgrade certificate for along with a complimentary mimosa, lol.

I usually don't redeem at Ritz. But last time I checked Abama was a bargain to pay for in cash at that category and location, so I would save your points and pay for the room like I did and use a free upgrade cert if you were considering paying for the upgrade to club-level.

If you use the card its way better value with the $100 food credit and lounge access than what you get out of the points on the room rate if you will be hanging around the hotel much as club-level booked ahead is usually $150-ish a night difference and you earn points on the stay.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jm1991
I would only upgrade on cash if you are planning on staying at the hotel. Those snacks and drinks really fill you up. They aren't a full entree but good enough to spoil your appetite for a dinner. (At least for me)
If you have the concierge level at the Ritz it is a good value (for 2) if:
1. Use it for breakfast
2. Use it for lunch (with beer or wine)
and then
3. Use it for all of your dinner or have it as an appetizer and before dinner drinks. Then go out for a lite dinner, maybe another appetizer or a small plate and then desert.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 6:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It all depends on what you want and value the most. Some may not care at all about the food offerings but really like a place to sit back (outside their room) in a lounge and just relax. Others may only want the food. There may well be other reasons some like or want the club lounge.

It comes to the fact that there is a cost (usually somewhere in the $100-$150/day range) and if someone values whatever benefits they derive from the club lounge as worth more than that, then its a good deal for them. If you don't derive more value, then maybe its not a good deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.