Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Hotel, Asheville, NC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Hotel, Asheville, NC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pilgrim
I don't think this Renaissance is up to the same standards as others.
The Renaissance in Raleigh is stunning. Work by local artists
and inlaid stone medallion in lobby floor of state and tributes
to the Wright Brothers plane. Neat spot.
And I believe it was at the North Hills Ren (same hotel?) the CL attendant at the time told me the standard had dropped from two hot items to one a few years back. While I cannot point to the standard in writing anywhere, I've not been to a CL that didn't have eggs and one type of breakfast meat. Plus, of course, the oatmeal.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Off-topic:

Just in from shoveling snow. After all the talk of oatmeal I think I'll make some to warm up

Cheers.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I also posted this in the lounge thread:

Checked in today. There is no lounge. The desk clerk said they removed it because of the number of complaints, which she implied was because they could not keep it stocked to the satisfaction of Gold/Platinum MR members. Choice offered between 750 points and continental breakfast in the restaurant.

Add to the removal of amenities, there are problems with parking - circled the lot twice before finding a space - and the prices are rather high (I got a good AAA rate by booking seven months ago). It also appears to be a Category 8 now, which makes it the same as the Glasshouse in Edinburgh and the Marriott Opera Paris.

Were it not for the fact that I have to be at the Diana Wortham Theatre the next couple of days (it's a block away), there would really be no reason to stay here.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ExArkie
I also posted this in the lounge thread:

Checked in today. There is no lounge. The desk clerk said they removed it because of the number of complaints, which she implied was because they could not keep it stocked to the satisfaction of Gold/Platinum MR members. Choice offered between 750 points and continental breakfast in the restaurant.
What does it say about this hotel and its management that they cannot do what every other full service hotel in the Marriott family can do without problem? This used to be a nice hotel. How did Marriott allow this hotel to become what it is now?

Gold and Plat members were just looking for something close to what we experience at every other full service Marriott property. Shame on the hotel for blaming the guests for the hotel staff being inept. (I was one of those guests a manager blamed, telling me that closing the lounge in the morning was bringing it to the Ren standard. Funny, every other Ren, which has an open lounge in the morning, must be violating the standard, according to this twit.)

After my last stay there, I started staying at the nearby SHS. It is much nicer, although it is not walking distance from the restaurants downtown.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Wonder if the next step will be changing the name to "resort" ...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Wonder if the next step will be changing the name to "resort" ...
It might be more likely that it is headed towards becoming a LaQuinta or Motel Eight. It wouldn't require much improvement to meet either's standards at this point. Clearly, dropping the CL is a sign they aren't intending to remain a Ren much longer.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Renaissance Asheville Hotel

I'm curious whether any Gold members ever get an upgrade here.

I've stayed here a few times and always been less than wowed with the property. I know there have been lots of Flyertalk discussions about the lack of the CL. It seems like my rooms are always cramped and dark, and the parking is terrible during peak times. (And I'm frustrated when I travel for work and there isn't any staff to deal with my bags up front so I can go find a parking spot that is a pretty good hike away.) But the fantastic location keeps me coming back for more.

Hoping for an upgrade tomorrow night for a one-night stay, but it may be wishful thinking.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
As a Platinum, I have stayed there several times, none in the past few years as the management seems to have lost interest in Marriott elites a long time ago. Never been upgraded, not even to a "better view," although rooms at the front AND the back overlook parking lots, so whether that even exists is debatable.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:55 pm

Rather than start a new thread, why not search for an existing one? I believe that this subject (elite upgrades) has been covered previously.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
Rather than start a new thread, why not search for an existing one? I believe that this subject (elite upgrades) has been covered previously.
A thread currently exists re: the property, so this thread should probably be merged into that one. I'll send a note to the mod.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ting-stay.html

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Sorry. Didn't add to that thread because it was older and seem to be retired. Appreciate the help.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 12:00 pm

This is the property I got upgraded to the Presidental Suite.

Location was great. Staff was outstanding. Very helpful and did go above and beyond.

At least in my case.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
Stayed at the Renaissance Asheville a month or so ago and had a fine stay. The staff seemed on point and while they didn't have a CL they did have a room on the first floor where you could get snacks and drinks 24/7 (if I remember correctly). The parking in front was usually at capacity but I never had a problem finding a spot in the back. Reading thru the thread there seems to be a fair bit of negative comments and issues, however that wasn't the case with my stay.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
I was there this past weekend. Got a room on the 10th floor with a northerly (mountain) view. Thought the room and overall hotel condition were very nice. I liked the dark gray/blue rug/wall color themes. Staff was very friendly and agree on parking, not much up front but plenty out back. Really liked location, easy walk to downtown and easy driving access to Biltmore and other sites. I thought the main floor update (lobby, bar, restaurant) were very well done, a nice modern look. I had free breakfast every day, typical buffet with option to upgrade to hot breakfast for $4. I didn't as they had very good fresh fruit, yogurt and bread selections so I was fine. Also got a couple of late night Cesar salads from the bar, they were very tasty.

All in all, no real complaints, I'd stay there again.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by Governator
I was there this past weekend... on parking, not much up front but plenty out back.
The problem with parking in the back is on weekdays, not weekends. The courthouse employees park in the lot in the back, leaving no spaces back there. After work hours and on the weekend there are no court employees taking up the spots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.