Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Galleria Dallas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by ayg
They actually are, but when comparing the properties for a weekend activity stay the Westin Galleria made more sense to me. I enjoyed the pool for a bit, on the recommendation of one of the previous posters I tried some of the many scotches they had the 2nd floor bar/bistro, we hit the mall and browsed, and had breakfast at La Madeline all without having to cross the street and walk up the sidewalk and through the Macy's which is what you have to do when staying at the Le Meridien. The lady enjoyed the things that the Westin could offer without getting in the car or crossing the street.

The beds at the Westin were also more comfortable. And Valet at is the only option at the Le Meridien and its 18 a day.

Now ask me again where i'd stay if I was traveling during the week and wanted the most space possible. The hands down winner would be the Le Meridien. The rooms were gigantic and this is being told that I was in a regular room.
Yeah, fair. As for your note on the check-in hassles, I have to add that the staff there seem to be amongst the most simultaneously friendly/incompetent in the system. I always asked for a "mall view" room because the road tollway noise really does come through, and despite being a weekly resident they still couldn't get it right. Every week they'd promise to fix my "profile", but no dice. All smiles, no execution
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:17 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Just completed a holiday stay here (over Thanksgiving weekend) and one weekend prior as well (used up my SPG Plat award just before it expired end of year). As always, fantastic stay without any exception.

Easiest check-in despite a somewhat complex set of requests (7x rooms for at least one night) I have ever experienced; all rooms were in linear order w/ a couple connecting (which we especially desired). This hotel (and my spg concierge) showed exceptional effort towards room placement, which I placed as a top priority and I appreciated their efforts). THESE "above-expectation" EXPERIENCES ARE WHAT TETHER ME TO Starwood (coupled w/ the now-famous SPG/AMEX card and still-strong value proposition of the starpoint).

This property is still my #1 favorite of all spg properties. Yes, it is also one of the closest ones to my residence, but the ultra-bonus of being connected to a high-end enclosed mall, coupled w/ the fabulous make-over now completed...make this the no-brainer when staying in Dallas, IMO.

As to comments about road noise on the non-mall (tollway)side...that used to be an issue, but post-makeover, where the patios are now integrated into interior [larger] room space and obviously noise-proof glass is now installed...one can barely hear road noise and does not bother at all at night. And I am a light sleeper and would be bothered if it were still audible.

FWIW - my perspective was that the make-over was well-designed executed. Rooms are now much larger, since out-dated (and dangerous) balconies were absorbed/remade into interior space, making these especially large rooms compared to modern-day hotel room design. Atta boys to the architectural group / designers responsible for this hotel update.

One light negative comment: I envisioned a nice Holiday Inn "holidome" over that outdoor (now heated) pool, which did not happen. Guessing budget issues as it seemed a no-brainer design update to me. Tough to get the courage to cross that rooftop to get into the pool on a windy, wintery day..and my kids are waterbabies if ever there was one but they show little interest in swimming here still. Maybe next "economic upcycle" this property will add the holidome I always envisioned.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:58 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Well this was probably one of first times I've never been upgraded at a full service property. One night stay on a Sunday... hotel seemed full with a lot of people there on business. Booked a King standard room and received exactly that. Inquired about an upgrade but none available not even to the executive/club level which is quite a few rooms as I believe there are 3 floors. Was offered a cold bottle of water so perhaps that was my upgrade?!
The room itself was nice and remodeled as others have stated. Lounge access was excellent with a decent selection of hot/cold offerings in the evenings and complimentary beer/wine. Overall a decent stay, nothing special to write about and can't say I received any special treatment as a Platinum.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Any updates on this property especially with regards to their treatment of Platinum members. Thanks
Old Sep 23, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Any updates on this property especially with regards to their treatment of Platinum members. Thanks
Free internet, nothing else..... S
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HGP Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Was at the property in July of this year, received a corner room and access to the lounge. The property is nice, in good repair, valet was quick. Had no issues (though no special treatment).

Lounge was large and open. Had hot snacks and drinks during Happy Hour. Felt that the Lounge attendant was a bit pushy for a tip though (might have just been my impression). Did not go to the lounge for Breakfast as I had an early meeting.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I stay at this property monthly for 3-4 days each time (since 11/2011) and have generally been pleased with the accomodations and service. Main issue has been the need to follow up with SPG for a couple weeks afterward to ensure the Make a Green Choice points are posted. The Second Floor staff is good, as is the food. My next check-in a couple weeks from now will be as an SPG Gold status guest, we'll see if this is recognized or not. Overall, definitely among the better Westin properties I have stayed at (although I was booked in last week to the Le Meridien Dallas at the last minute and was blown away by the brand new, comfortable lobby and huge rooms. Some serious competition just a few hundred yards away).
Old May 29, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by jjdub86
I stay at this property monthly for 3-4 days each time (since 11/2011) and have generally been pleased with the accomodations and service. Main issue has been the need to follow up with SPG for a couple weeks afterward to ensure the Make a Green Choice points are posted. The Second Floor staff is good, as is the food. My next check-in a couple weeks from now will be as an SPG Gold status guest, we'll see if this is recognized or not. Overall, definitely among the better Westin properties I have stayed at (although I was booked in last week to the Le Meridien Dallas at the last minute and was blown away by the brand new, comfortable lobby and huge rooms. Some serious competition just a few hundred yards away).
As a Gold I recently got UG'ed to a Club Room. There legitimately were not any 2 Queen bed suites available, so I think that that was the best UG available.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: STARWOOD PLAT, LT GOLD,WN A-LIST PREFERRED, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE
Stayed last night. Overall nice stay. Free parking is definiely worth the walk across the street. I parked in deck to check in and then parked in Free area after dinner. Lounge although nice was a HUGE diasappoinment. Nothing but cheese and a few drinks in the evening. Breakafst was the Hamption Inn/ Fairfield Inn design without the waffles.

Overall good service rae was good $109 would stay again.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum

Got stuck in Dallas tonight due to the weather in Boston. I booked the room through my ambassador about an hour before arrival. I was upgraded to an executive suite upon checkin without even asking for an upgrade. The suite is large with 2 bathrooms, living area and a separate bedroom. Great stay so far!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold , HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Aadvantage, Rapid Rewards CP
Shop & Stay Promo Package with Galleria gift card

Saw this in the Austin paper for Friday or Saturday night stays:
Use code SHOP550 for a night and $500 Galleria gift card for $550.
Use code SHOP1000 for a night plus a $1000 Galleria gift card.

So it costs $50 for a night at the hotel plus the gift card for $500 or zero plus the $1000 gift card. I believe that this is a Visa gift card. The Galleria has over 200 stores, 30 restaurants and an ice rink.
Call the direct line for the hotel at: 1-972-934-9494
www.thewestingalleriadallas.com

Seems they charge 15% tax on the full amount. So no bueno.

Last edited by Frenchie Flyer; Aug 22, 2013 at 10:37 pm
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG PLT-75; Avis First; Hilton Gold
Third visit this year here. Overall, I prefer the location to Stonebriar as it is more of a 'lively' location. That said, Plat recognition is next to nil. You get the lounge access, but in my 3 visits, I have yet to even crack the "executive floors", which are the top 3 floors of the hotel (19 - 21). Floors 15-18 are "SPG Preferred" floors and my last 2 stays were in these floors. The current stay is on 14th floor because apparently they have not only sold out of the 'exec' floors but SPG floors as well....so much for upgrades, eh :P

The lounge is nice...cookies, cheese, some sandwiches, some liquor if you come at the right time, nice atmosphere.

Don't see much physical difference in rooms though the wifi is atrocious on the 14th floor. I recall a much better, faster experience when I stayed on 16th (1st stay), and 15th (2nd stay) floors.

Parking is ok if you can find a spot in the open parking lot. Parking in the underground garage is a ridiculous $28 ($26 + tax).

On the whole, I stay here for the location and have basically resigned myself to the fact that I'm lucky to just get to the SPG floors, let alone an upgrade, let alone to the 'exec' floors.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
I stayed in this hotel last November, and completely enjoyed my stay.
I remember I arrived early when I checked in, and my assigned room was not available. So I pushed and asked if there was suite available. The FA checked and told me yes. I didn't realize I got a luxury suite until I entered my room. Wow, that was a big and nice room.
I liked the gym and the lounge as well, and the pool was nice too though it is outdoor.
I like this hotel and will come back if I visit Dallas again.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
First stay here this week, and shocked at how vastly different the quality is between this property and the Westin Park Center a few miles away. Westin Galleria is far nicer, cleaner, and fresher. Plat recognition is, as mentioned above, close to non-existent. No upgrades, no executive floor, etc. Lounge is decent. Would take a standard room here vs a deluxe suite at Park Center any day.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
First stay here this week, and shocked at how vastly different the quality is between this property and the Westin Park Center a few miles away. Westin Galleria is far nicer, cleaner, and fresher. Plat recognition is, as mentioned above, close to non-existent. No upgrades, no executive floor, etc. Lounge is decent. Would take a standard room here vs a deluxe suite at Park Center any day.
To me this is one of the upper-tier Westins in the US (kind of like the Westin Phoenix Downtown)...room finishings are just a cut above, nice lounge, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.