Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2006, 12:08 pm
DWM

Programs: AA Gold (and climbing), SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
My wife and I are both SPG Gold and were upgraded to the Towers in Arabella Cape Town and at the Western Cape a Corner Suite. We did receive a free BMW transfer to the airport. As Fraser says, it is a good 70 minute ride to the Western Cape even in our flashy 325i . Loved getting that car up to 140 km/h +. On the Western Cape, the staff is unbelievable! Anja, the GM is a fantastic leader and we were treated better than any other resort we have been too worldwide. The conceirge and bellman will go out of their way for their guests. The specially ordered ESPN International for me so I could watch my beloved Steelers beat the Seahawks. This was done without charge. They also sent a beautiful bottle of Beaumont Champagne the following morning as they knew I was a fan to celebrate the win. The champers went well with our omellets and potatos.

We are going back again in Feb. for 3 more weeks!!!

Western Cape ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:54 pm

May I please ask: did you get complimentary BMW ride from Cape Town or from the Western Cape? Also both arriving and departing?

They sure did a splendid arrangements for you.

Originally Posted by DWM
My wife and I are both SPG Gold and were upgraded to the Towers in Arabella Cape Town and at the Western Cape a Corner Suite. We did receive a free BMW transfer to the airport. As Fraser says, it is a good 70 minute ride to the Western Cape even in our flashy 325i . Loved getting that car up to 140 km/h +. On the Western Cape, the staff is unbelievable! Anja, the GM is a fantastic leader and we were treated better than any other resort we have been too worldwide. The conceirge and bellman will go out of their way for their guests. The specially ordered ESPN International for me so I could watch my beloved Steelers beat the Seahawks. This was done without charge. They also sent a beautiful bottle of Beaumont Champagne the following morning as they knew I was a fan to celebrate the win. The champers went well with our omellets and potatos.

We are going back again in Feb. for 3 more weeks!!!

Western Cape ^ ^ ^ ^
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:18 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I checked out of the ASGH yesterday, after a 4 night stay on Cash & Points. The hotel was fantastic, and service was excellent. As SPG Gold, we were upgraded to a nice, large room, 817. From the floorplan, 818 seems to be the same size. I am not sure if all floors are like this. We didn't have club access. The spa, as noted, is great, and offers beautiful views of the city and water. The free shuttle to and from the waterfront was very nice, but beware that it sometimes leaves a minute early. Also, occupancy depends on events at the convention center, which is adjacent. We stayed at a low time, and occupancy was in the 20% range. I understand it is now full. Upgrades probably vary based on this.

The hotel offers a great buffet breakfast, but not with all room rates. It is a bit over $20 US otherwise.

We are now at the Sheraton Pretoria. Beautiful hotel, but service has been poor, including status recognition. Can someone remind me what the Starwood Guarantee is, and how to enact it? Or did I just dream up that such a program existed?

One final note: You can't be too careful in CPT. Take cabs everywhere, and look to the hotel staff for guidance on what is advisable and what is not.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:28 pm
DWM

Programs: AA Gold (and climbing), SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I believe the Sheraton people in CPT thrive on charm - We did get the complimentary ride in the BMW each way. My wife loved it! I tipped the driver about 120 rand each direction. I think it is a right place right time scenario. Go directly to the Towers Desk when you check in and work your magic. The women are lovely at the desk. Cheers!
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 1.7MM, UA - PE, SPG - PL
Can't sing enough praise for this property. On a Cash N Points stay, was upgraded to a Towers Suite - Butler, BWM access, etc. etc. etc. Every single person with whom I came into contact was fantastic - Front Desk, Towers Desk, the Butler, Breakfast Staff, etc. The large bottles of Molton Brown were especially nice, came home with quite a bagful. Absolutely top notch property!

I read the warnings about CPT and was generally careful, but had no issues walking around the city - even at night. Rented a car and drove to Hermanus, the Cape, all over - again, no issues. (First time driving on the other side of the road - was not a big deal, but go with an auto transmission.) Really terrific place - highly recommended.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 4:27 pm

This is one of if not the finest in the chain.
Old Jun 16, 2006, 5:36 pm

Agree, both the Western Cape and CT.

Originally Posted by shoodawg
This is one of if not the finest in the chain.
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by andymo99
One final note: You can't be too careful in CPT. Take cabs everywhere, and look to the hotel staff for guidance on what is advisable and what is not.
While I would agree that anyone should be cautious in a strange town, and that Cape Town can expose one to crime, if you're reasonably careful you should be all right. While an attempt was made to pickpocket my wallet when I was there last time, I or my traveling companion have had similar attempts -- one successful -- in European capitals as well.

For more details on the Grand Hotel Cape Town and the city itself, you might be interested in my trip report.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:05 am

Around the CT Arabella and toward and including the waterfront-as safe as any big city in the World.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by best
Around the CT Arabella and toward and including the waterfront-as safe as any big city in the World.
We were advised by the hotel staff several times against walking back from the Waterfront late in the evening.

Let me also add my name to the roll-call of those praising the ASGH; definitely one of the better ones and a superb use of SPG points.
Old Jun 24, 2006, 5:44 pm

Well of course they should. Our experience was: safe even late at night.
We sure felt a lot safer than some other cities.

Originally Posted by NickW
We were advised by the hotel staff several times against walking back from the Waterfront late in the evening.

Let me also add my name to the roll-call of those praising the ASGH; definitely one of the better ones and a superb use of SPG points.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 7:27 am

redacted

Last edited by shoodawg; Jan 14, 2009 at 7:02 pm
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:29 pm

5 night deal at Arabella Sheraton Cape town

From what I have read so far, this hotel is a steal for SPG points as the rates for the rooms seems to range between 300 and 400 dollars for standard rooms. I just redeemed 32K SPG points for five night stay at this hotel. While 28K would be more correct point redemption, the agent said there were no standard rooms, so she had to book us for Grand Delux room. While I know that this is not a suite, it sounds very nice from the description of things. Has any one stayed in the Grand Delux room? Would there be any chance that this hotel could upgrade me to a suite for this lowly GOLD member (I like the chances as others who were gold seemed to have been upgraded from their standard rooms - but I am not expecting anything)?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:47 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I agree that the hotel is a fine property but we had one unexpected shock. My wife, son and I checked in and we were told that there was a maximum occupancy of two per room so we had to get two rooms. This was an unexpected expense. My son would have been fine sleeping on the floor (he was 14) but I think there was sometjing to do with fire regulations.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by davistev
I agree that the hotel is a fine property but we had one unexpected shock. My wife, son and I checked in and we were told that there was a maximum occupancy of two per room so we had to get two rooms. This was an unexpected expense. My son would have been fine sleeping on the floor (he was 14) but I think there was sometjing to do with fire regulations.

What ????

An extra foom for a 14 year old. I am visiting in Feb with a 12 year Old . I better check with them. Is this an Arabella run hotel. They seem to have you over if you travel with Kids. ( Check out the con at the Mardavell).

Just been on SPG and I notice that you can enter 3 Adults and the price for the room goes up so they must al;low a child in ./ adult in room for more money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.