Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Cape Town, South Africa [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2006, 11:00 pm

I stayed there twice this past August (or was it September?) They treat Platinum members VERY well. They offerred us complimentary BMW car service for short trips around town (to and from dinner, to Table Mt.) My wife and I really enjoyed our stay there. All the employees were very friendly.

I think we did cash & points, and I thought I got excellent value. It is among the very best Starwood hotels.

We had dinner one night at Madam Zingara's, about 5 minute drive from the hotel, which was really good.

Enjoy!
Old May 9, 2006, 5:23 am

I love this hotel.

As a Plat stayed there twice and felt really special.

Should be a model for all Starwoods.

They belong in the luxury collection!
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Does anyone know the best way to arrange a private transfer from this hotel to the Western Cape hotel in Hermanus? Perhaps a private car/tour company or something...

I emailed the Western Cape conceirge and was quoted a rate of 900 rand (about $130) each way. Is this about par?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Also free transfer to the airport for Plats.
How does one organise this, or rather who would you contact, for arranging a pick-up from the airport when you land at CPT?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AJLondon
How does one organise this, or rather who would you contact, for arranging a pick-up from the airport when you land at CPT?
I am not sure if its a free transfer TO AND FROM the airport.

The day before leaving Cape Town I had asked the Towers Concierge if the taxis that were normally out front would be there at 430 AM ( we had a 630AM flight) and was told at that time the Plats were entitled to a free transfer to the airport.
So we fixed the time then.
Pretty nice too, in the hotels 7-series BMW.

mike
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Ahhh, okay. Thanks for the update.

Were you on an award or a paid stay? (I'm using cash+points, and was wondering what to expect as a Plat... )
Cash and points which was a fantastic deal because at the time ( late Nov early Dec ) the lowest rate was converting to about $350.

I booked two rooms one for ourselves and the other for some friends from the UK with no spg status and we did two stays, the first of four nights, the second of two nights.
For both stays we were put up in the Towers, corner suites, fantastic view of both Table Mountain and the Waterfront with lounge and spa access.

The breakfast in the lounge which is quite good and cooked to order come out to about $25 person. I feel a bit guilty since I was not aware of the charge on the first stay and questioned it and they removed it for us all.
On the second stay we were prepared to pay for breakfast but they didnt add it to the bill

Hope I dont sound too gushing about this place but for $48 and 2800 points a night its got to be one of the best deals in the SPG system.

mike
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:14 pm

I too can't say enough nice things about this property. My stay here last year was without a doubt my best SPG stay ever. Upgraded to a beautiful corner suite as a Plat and received the free transfer to the airport upon departure. It is a beautiful property with fantastic elite recognition. ^
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:54 am

The breakfast in the lounge which is quite good and cooked to order come out to about $25 person. I feel a bit guilty since I was not aware of the charge on the first stay and questioned it and they removed it for us all.
On the second stay we were prepared to pay for breakfast but they didnt add it to the bill

mike
Sorry , can u please confirm , If you are a Plat and get Lounge access ( I know you are not entitled to Toweres Lounge access) , then you have to pay 25$ fore breakfast ??? is that correct ??
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:06 am

Thanks! So do you know what the official policy for plats who get upgraded to a room/suite with Tower's lounge access? Do they still need to pay about $25 for breakfast...

IIRC, I saw a post a while ago by SanDiego1K who stayed as a Gold in the towers level and had billing issues, including breakfast charges from the Towers lounge...
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:15 am
Suspended

Thanks! So do you know what the official policy for plats who get upgraded to a room/suite with Tower's lounge access? Do they still need to pay about $25 for breakfast...

IIRC, I saw a post a while ago by SanDiego1K who stayed as a Gold in the towers level and had billing issues, including breakfast charges from the Towers lounge...
I am SPG platinum we upgraded to the Towers and given lounge access.
Drinks and hor d'oerves was available in the evenings, but I believe oustside of the set evening period you had to pay for alcoholic drinks>

Not really sure exactly what the breakfast policy is
Basically at breakfast there are items set out buffet style and one can select from that. However we were seated we were handed a menu with various cooked options and we selected from that every morning of the first stay.
There were no prices or any indication as to charges when that was presented.

Its possible the charge was only for ordering al a carte.

At checking out, upon inspection of the bill I questioned the breakfast items making the point that we were unaware of the charge since it was not listed anywhere, not even on the menu. ( and I fully expected them to at least insist on the charge for the my friends in the additional room) the concierge agreed, called the manager and the charge was removed without much of a protest I will add.
Incidentally on reflection I believe the charge was more like $16 per person and in my opinion worth it.

At the end of the second stay there were no breakfast charges at all on the folio.

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Jun 2, 2006 at 6:21 am
Old Jun 2, 2006, 7:10 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
As a Platinum member, you are treated very well at this hotel.. I have stayed there about 15 times now, and each time, I have booked the lowest category room and have been upgraded to the Jr Suites..with access to the lounge and the wonderful breakfast.. and yes, all Towers room have free access to the lounge (no charge).

My friend as a gold usually does not fair as well on upgrades...
Old Jun 2, 2006, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was a gold and stayed here in Dec 2004. I was upgraded to the Towers and had access to the lounge on an an award stay. I had zero problems w/ billing.
Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:52 pm

It's a great hotel. As Platinum,got suites both times and lounge access for self and the occupant of the second room booked by me. NO charges for breakfast--even ordering from the menu. Free airport drop off. Free internet in the lounge. Free evening snacks and drinks during the happy hour. All in all it was a memorable experience.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Does anyone know the best way to arrange a private transfer from this hotel to the Western Cape hotel in Hermanus? Perhaps a private car/tour company or something...

I emailed the Western Cape conceirge and was quoted a rate of 900 rand (about $130) each way. Is this about par?
Sounds about right. The drive from the Arabella to the WC hotel is a good 75min drive (or at least it was in our crappy rental car ) and we were charged I think it was 350 or 400 ZAR for the 25min transfer to the airport. I read a post by MIKESILV before I left and he said as a Plat he got the ride to the airport for free. As I wasn't in a Towers Room or deal with the Towers Concierge at any stage I spoke with the regular travel desk and mentioned by the wife and I were SPG Gold but they said it was the same price for everyone

Also I never saw an Arabella decaled BMW 7 Series in the four nights we were at the Arabella. Plenty of 5 Series though with "ASGH" licence plates though...

As for value, well it's a steal! Originally the wife and I were going to use our SPG50 an pay for it but to use it would have worked out at almost $850 per night. Handing over 21,000 pts was pretty easy in that situation.

Last edited by Fraser; Jun 3, 2006 at 4:36 pm
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
I read a post by MIKESILV before I left and he said as a Plat he got the ride to the airport for free. As I wasn't in a Towers Room or deal with the Towers Concierge at any stage I spoke with the regular travel desk and mentioned by the wife and I were SPG Gold but they said it was the same price for everyone
FWIW, to clarify, when I was here they mentioned on at least three separate occasions that the free airport drop off is for guests staying in suites, and that this is part of the suite upgrade (not a plat benefit).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.