Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Houston: Westin Oaks or Galleria? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Houston: Westin Oaks or Galleria? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 8:24 pm

Houston Oaks or Galleria

Traveling to Houston, debating between the two Westins, pro's and cons of each would be a help
Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:48 pm
Commander Catcop

There's another option, a little less expensive but within the Galleria area:

The Sheraton Suites Galleria...

You don't get a Heavenly Bed but you do get fine customer service, a two room suite, clean comfortable room and a nice restaurant and bar...

All for LESS the price of the Westins.

The hotel does have a shuttle to the Galleria. you can also walk there, it's a bout a five minute walk.

(There are threads on this property as well.)

I have NOT stayed at either Westin in the past few years. The Sheraton Suites has become my hotel of choice in IAH.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

chi-town kev...having joined "the girls" on a shopping excursion to The Galleria today and of course waiting until at least after the visit to Victoria's Secret was completed ...this guy broke away from the group to make a quick inspection of both properties for you.

After posting myself here in the past what utter dumps these 2 Westins were and what a black eye they were on the brand name, I'm very happy to report that facilities-wise (can't speak to service as I haven't stayed overnight here yet), it is like night and day with the $28 million dollar renovation completed and the guest rooms looking very nice and Westin indeed.

Front Desk staff at both properties were very nice and gladly gave me keys to standard rooms at each. So I inspected Room 722 at the Westin Oaks (Westheimer view), and Room 1440 at the Westin Galleria.

Both rooms were very nice with Heavenly Bed and multi-head Heavenly Shower. Nice new stylish decor. Flat screen TV. All rooms equipped with Hi-Speed TurboNet. Very much a full fledged Westin now. Both hotels offer a $19.95 per day communications package option if you wish, that includes all local, Toll-free, domestic long-distance, and the TurboNet.

Comparison between the two? The Westin Oaks has slightly larger rooms (450 sqft vs 427), but I much preferred the Westin Galleria as I thought their rooms were just a tad nicer and their public facilities, restaurants (including a Daily Grill) and location are much better, IMHO. Looked classier overall than the Oaks. So I would recommend the Westin Galleria.

Platinum Suite upgrade chances? Each hotel has about 13 one-bedroom Suites which they consider "Select" for upgrade purposes. Some are doubles and some are Kings. These consist of basically 2 standard size rooms connected. One is the bedroom and the second a Parlor room. The hotels also have several luxury Suites, with the Galleria having the best, IMHO.

While the Sheraton Suites might still likely get you more Sq. Ft if you don't get upgraded....these Westins are in a much nicer location for shopping and restaurants.

I took a few pictures but it will be awhile before I get them developed. Here's a hotel provided shot of a room at the Westin Galleria, along with a Floor Plan:

http://members.aol.com/premexfiles/w...AHgalleria.jpg

In addition to the information you can find on the properties at spg.com, the hotel has it's own web site that might provide additional info for you:

http://www.webcollateral.com/houston

So now thumbs up on both, as far as I could see, with a comparative advantage going to the Westin Galleria side, IMHO.

Hope that helps some.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 10:09 am
mgi

Houston: WestinOaks or Westin Galleria

Wanted to check which one is better for an upcoming stay. I am getting the same rate at both properties.

Also - is there free parking that one can use. I called the hotel and they said they only have Valet???

Thanks,
MGI
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Any recent stays at either property?

Details are appreciated.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Stayed at Westin Galleria last fall. Not impressed at all. The laundry list of complaints did net me 10K *wood points however:

Rooms have had a facelift but still need work. The single-lever faucet for the shower wouldn't stay put and would gradually slide down to the cold side. Tub drain was slow to where a 10 minute shower had me up to my ankles in water. Door was sticky and I had to push it shut. Woke up the first morning to find my door had been ajar all night. Had problems with the wired in-room internet - needed to disable my firewall to use (never have had to do this anywhere else). I had an early flight out of IAH on departure and the front desk was totally abandoned at about 4:30am when I tried to check out. No dining in the hotel - you have to go upstairs into the mall to get breakfast (no vouchers).

Neither the facilities nor the staff are up to Westin standards and my rate was $250. I'm a big *wood fan, but this stay turned me off for a while.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Try the St. Regis

I think the St. Regis is in the vicinity. Stayed there last night and liked it. Very nice hotel with spacious rooms. Got an upgrade to a Grand Luxe suite as a Platinum.
Old May 30, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs down This Place Is A Joke

If Starwood were to investigate these two properties, they would be horrified to see how things are run.

I have complained so many times, but it falls on deaf ears. The Westins are my favorite hotels, but unfortunately these are the only Westins in Houston.

I understand there will be a new Westin off I-10 around Memorial. Lets hope its better than these two properties.
Old May 30, 2008, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by domerun
If Starwood were to investigate these two properties, they would be horrified to see how things are run.

I have complained so many times, but it falls on deaf ears. The Westins are my favorite hotels, but unfortunately these are the only Westins in Houston.

I understand there will be a new Westin off I-10 around Memorial. Lets hope its better than these two properties.

Thanks for the info. You say you've complained, who have you contacted? Corporate Customer Service?
Old May 31, 2008, 6:38 am

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Thanks for the info. You say you've complained, who have you contacted? Corporate Customer Service?
Among many others, I did complain to Corporate Customer Service five years ago and these properties continue to be part of Starwood. I had the unfortunate occasion to stay at the Oaks in March and it was awful.
Old May 31, 2008, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dabbagmm
Among many others, I did complain to Corporate Customer Service five years ago and these properties continue to be part of Starwood. I had the unfortunate occasion to stay at the Oaks in March and it was awful.
As William has stated, call again!

I was thinking of staying at one of these properties, but I'll probably go with the Sheraton Suites.

But do call again, I know it might seem worthless but unless we stay committed to pointing out both, good and bad, properties, situations like your experience will continue to happen.
Old May 31, 2008, 7:24 am

Wow...

not the best hotels in the chain, but I have stayed at both recently, and thought them fine, if unremarkable.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, HHonors Diamond
Angry Eeeek!!!

Cheap Elite,

I have complained to Customer Service at that 800 number on many occasions. Several times I had the hardest time understanding these ladies. They told me they are from somewhere in the Middle East (nice going Starwood).

Now for the latest adventure......

I stayed there last weekend, in hopes things have changed (and I needed a matress run-I love the Heavenly Beds/White tea products).....they havent.

First, it took me FOREVER to check in. I am a SPG Gold, but I had to wait in line, like everyone else. There was an elderly couple off to the side fuming about the service they have recieved demanding to talk to a manager (I felt like saying, "I've been there before at this place. I know how you feel").

They need major renovations. The mold is still hanging out on the walls in the hallways/bedroom. Under the toilet seat, there was feces wiped across. I showed the bellman when he was unloading our luggage. They gave me breakfast and two 12 oz cans of Dr Pepper, after waiting over an hour to hear from the front desk.

I finally ask several of the bellmen whats going on, including the one who was grossed out by the toilet episode. "What type of show are they running around here?", I asked. They said the properties are not owned by Starwood. They are owned by the company that runs the Galleria, somewhere in MN. They also ALL told me there are stacks and stacks of complaints at the front office desk, but no one does anything about it, because of the profit they continue to produce. As that one bellman told me, "they get away with murder here, mainly because of its location".

Sad.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Cheap Elite Quote:
As William has stated, call again!

I was thinking of staying at one of these properties, but I'll probably go with the Sheraton Suites.

But do call again, I know it might seem worthless but unless we stay committed to pointing out both, good and bad, properties, situations like your experience will continue to happen.
Cheap Elite,

Did you stay at one of these properties or the Sheraton Suites as posted from above? Anything to report? I'm looking to stay at one of the properties in town for the Texans-Bengals game in Nov, but not liking the reviews of the Oaks or Galleria so far.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bpoe19
Cheap Elite,

Did you stay at one of these properties or the Sheraton Suites as posted from above? Anything to report? I'm looking to stay at one of the properties in town for the Texans-Bengals game in Nov, but not liking the reviews of the Oaks or Galleria so far.
No not as of yet, when I do, you'll see my review, with pictures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.