Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Ottawa or Westin Ottawa - 2004 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:29 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The big kicker for the Sheraton (for me, anyways) is that its HVAC system is motel-style. That is, it's one of those that are attached under the window and are noisy. The Westin HVAC is above the entry door and much more quiet.

The lounge at the Sheraton has really gone downhill. The breakfast and h'ors d'oeurves aren't that great. They also close it on the weekends.

However, I do stay at the Sheraton more since it's closer to my office and the prices are cheaper.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:26 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by Braindrain
The big kicker for the Sheraton (for me, anyways) is that its HVAC system is motel-style. That is, it's one of those that are attached under the window and are noisy. The Westin HVAC is above the entry door and much more quiet.
Last time I stayed at the Westin Ottawa, I had them move me as the AC wasn't cooling below 23c...
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:03 am

Programs: AP Elite, *Wood Plat
I've stayed at all three properties on several occasions. The Westin Ottawa is by far the best if you are willing to pay the difference in price (generally $30 to $40). If you are Platinum, it is the only property that will automatically upgrade you w/o having to ask. Rooms are generally bright and well appointed. You also have access to the Rideau Centre and are two minutes away from the Byward Market and Parliament Hill.

I've also stayed several times at the Ottawa Sheraton as a Plat and they have never upgraded me to a suite and on one occasion, the clerk seemed to try to make me feel guilty for asking ("Our suites are not those kinds of suites, they rent for $500/night...)... The rooms are also dark and musty. The airconditioners were old and didnt cool a whole lot.

F

Last edited by Siocnarf; Aug 31, 2006 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:56 am

I am staying in Ottawa for 16 nights in September. I couldn't decide where to stay. In the end, I decided to take advantage of various deals at each hotel and will be moving around. I stay 2 nights at the 4 points (bed, breakfast and movie package) and then a week at each the Westin and Sheraton. At the Sheraton I am booked in a Club level room, and at the Westin in a traditional room, so it may not be a fair comparison, but I will report back!
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by sockboy
At the Sheraton I am booked in a Club level room, and at the Westin in a traditional room, so it may not be a fair comparison, but I will report back!
The Sheraton Club level rooms are exactly the same as the regular rooms. The only difference is that the bathroom uses a nicer tile and they put a fax/printer/scanner machine on your desk. IMO, the fax just serves to reduce the limited space on the desk. But, could be useful if you really need it.

IMO, the Westin regular room is still superior.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:58 am

Ottawa trip report

Well, I have just about completed my "tour" of the Ottawa area hotels.

My first two nights were spent at the Four Points Gatineau. I got a package including breakfast each morning and movie each evening. The price is very reasonable compared to the Ottawa options, and a good option if you are on a budget. It is definitely worth considering for vacation stays as you are across the street from the Museum of Civilisation and an easy walk across the bridge to the other Ottawa sites. My room was a little tired, but clean. The service was friendly and available. I ate dinner one evening at the hotel restaurant, which was decent and reasonable. I enquired about extending my stay one more night (to replace a pricy night at the Westin), but they were full and could not accomidate.

I moved on to the Westin where I spent a week. One $$ night, and then a "buy 4, get 2 nights free", which was an excellent deal. At check in, the girl spent a huge amount of time attempting to arrange things so that I could stay in the same room for the entire stay. As a gold, I was not noticably upgraded (however, this was a week long stay). I had a room facing over the Rideau Centre and towards the market. Not a stellar view. The room was large and clean and bright - what is expected from a Westin room. My only problem came at check out, when I was initially billed for my two free nights. When I mentioned the two free nights, the girl said "I know we have a buy two get one free . . .". I had to produce the print out I had made when booking to get her to take the two nights off. She also made a copy of my printout "in case of any questions". The location of the Westin is excellent as it is connected to the Rideau Centre mall, and only steps from the market, making shopping and eating very convienient.

I am currently at the Sheraton where I had once again booked one $$ standard room night, and then a "buy 4 get 2 free" on the club level. At check in, there was no issue combining the two reservations, and I was upgraded to the club floor for the first night as well. The room faces the street, but is darker than the Westin room. At this point in the stay, the club level breakfast and appetisers are very welcome! The breakfast has no hot food, but a decent selection. The evening appitisers include both hot and cold selections. The club lounge in closed on the weekends, but I am told I will get coupons for breakfast and snacks in the restaurant. The location of the Sheraton is great for most business destinations, but not as good as the Westin for leisure, or access to restaurants and shopping. The AC in my room was not noisy as other have commented, but it has been cool out, perhaps in mid-summer it would be an issue.

In the future I would likely select based on budget and available specials. Both the Sheraton and Westin are of a similar standard - the Westin winning out slightly for its location. If you were platimun, the club lounge access at the Sheraton might be a consideration. And the Four Points is a reasonable stop for a budget stay - (availability seems to be better here too, if the other two hotels are sold out).
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:43 pm

Sorry to revive a dead thread!

I need to be in Ottawa with some colleagues to write an exam and I was wondering which one of the properties would have any group studying facilities? Would the Club lounge at the Sheraton work? Or are there any meeting rooms that the hotels would let us access?

Alternately, would one of the hotels have rooms that would be better for our likely cram sessions?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:27 am

I'm sure both would be more than happy to rent out rooms for you.

At the Sheraton, the Club lounge does have a recessed area that would be good for a study session. There's even a wireless internet access point up there. The lounge also becomes quiet as a mouse once between breakfast and dinner h'ors d'oeuvres. If you ask very nicely or if someone is a Plat, they might let the whole lot of you in.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:43 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Having stayed at both Ottawa properties 4 or 5 times each so far this year, the Westin is the better one. That's a no-brainer.

Sheraton : no status recognition (gosh, my stays there alone put me at Gold), dark and dated rooms, small gym, pool available, limited restaurants nearby, especially in winter

Westin : status recognition to upgraded floors, better rooms but still not too bright, bright gym with modern equipment, pool available, in Rideau Centre and close to Byward Market (lots of restaurants)
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
I just completed my first stay in a while at the Sheraton and I must agree with IsleTraveller: zero status recognition, very dark rooms, and in need of an update overall. The staff remain friendly, however.

I know it's not standard but I sure prefer when a club room can be accessed on weekends.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 9:28 pm

Actually, the Sheraton recently went through a room update a few years ago. The lobby was recently re-done.

The rooms have the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper (sleigh) beds, new carpets, and mostly new furniture. The bathrooms are the same and the closet doors definitely haven't been changed.

You should have seen it before.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:28 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Actually, the Sheraton recently went through a room update a few years ago. The lobby was recently re-done.

The rooms have the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper (sleigh) beds, new carpets, and mostly new furniture. The bathrooms are the same and the closet doors definitely haven't been changed.

You should have seen it before.
Well, colour me surprised.

The bed was newer but everything else in my room (on a club floor) seemed to be from the same era as the closet doors. I hadn't stayed here in two years and it seemed unchanged from what I can recall of my last visit.

The Sheraton was also >$100 cheaper than the Westin for my night there, so perhaps I shouldn't complain.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"Sheraton : no status recognition (gosh, my stays there alone put me at Gold), dark and dated rooms, small gym, pool available, limited restaurants nearby, especially in winter"

I always get status recognition. On weekends, I get a voucher for the bar for evenings and the full buffet breakfast in AM. Sheraton is more convenient for offices. Westin for restaurants. Although rooms are dark at Sheraton--that's pretty much how I use them -- "in the dark" -- as I don't spend much time in the room except for sleeping
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:09 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
"Sheraton : no status recognition (gosh, my stays there alone put me at Gold), dark and dated rooms, small gym, pool available, limited restaurants nearby, especially in winter"

I always get status recognition. On weekends, I get a voucher for the bar for evenings and the full buffet breakfast in AM. Sheraton is more convenient for offices. Westin for restaurants. Although rooms are dark at Sheraton--that's pretty much how I use them -- "in the dark" -- as I don't spend much time in the room except for sleeping
Anyone else have some recent experience at the Sheraton Ottawa? I just qualified for plat and I have a stay coming up at the end of the month.

It's listed as one of the hotels to never expect a suite upgrade here on FT, even though they have some very expensive suites listed for reservation on SPG.com.... I assume they arent 'select standard suites' and I wouldn't qualify for an upgrade?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 12:34 am

I stay here very often. No suite upgrades as the only suite is the Presidential (or whatever it's called) suite.

As a Plat, usually upgraded to SPG floors (16,17) which include free local calls, bottled water, and access to the lounge. Not always guaranteed the SPG floors as the hotel is often quite full. However, access to lounge is guaranteed.

They've started a trend where the lounge is closed starting Thurs now (instead of weekends). The trade-off is you get coupons for the breakfast buffet (good ^) and for dinner h'ors d'oeurves (bad ).

As for rooms, they did a mini-renovation about 5-6 years ago where they changed the beds (to Sweet Sleepers), some of the furniture, and carpets. However, it still looks dated. One good and more recent renovation to rooms is the addition of a digital thermostat to control temps. (Yes, I'm serious.) I think it's all rooms as all the rooms I've stayed in have had them (which is quite a few). Internet is wired and no wireless option. Cost is $10.65/night ($9.95 + taxes).

Service, overall, is quite good.

Enough info?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.