Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Aloft Taipei Zhongshan, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aloft Taipei Zhongshan, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by helvetic
Would love to hear it…

I might book it because it's a cheap rate and I'm tired of overpaying for the W which has lousy service…
I stayed there back in July for 3 nights. I would describe this hotel as basic... Will upload some photos when I get a chance!
  • Room: Small but functional. Didn't get upgraded as a PLT
  • Breakfast: Limited options/nothing special... But since you are in Taiwan, food is dirt cheap and you can just eat out.
  • Service: Efficient, staff did note that I am a PLT guest at check-in and they left a signed note and some Taiwanese pineapple pastry in the room.
  • Facilities: There is a small (plunge?) pool on the top floor but it was closed during my visit.
  • Location: A small street market (about 2 blocks long) is next to the hotel serving the typical Taiwanese street food. Didn't take the subway since Uber is cheap. But the station is within walking distance anyways.

Hope this helps!

Room Photos -

Breakfast Photos -

View from room/Street market -

Last edited by l380; Jan 6, 2017 at 9:30 am Reason: Photos added!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:51 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Stayed here the other day:

No idea if I was upgraded here or not; the room felt like a base room. It's an Aloft so I wasn't expecting much. My low expectations were pretty much met. Only reason to stay here is that it's cheap with a decent location—but as usual in Taipei, the service sucks and you won't be impressed… Doesn't matter much; just needed a cheap place to crash. Platinum recognition is poor.

Location is convenient for getting around. It's pretty central and right on top of an MRT station. (Orange line)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
HI,
I may want to stay at this hotel in early February 2018 however I am confused about the bathrooms -- is there a difference between the Aloft room and the "Breezy" room bathrooms? - Some photos (TripAdvisor) appear to have bathrooms with a narrow wall separation from the main room and the sink area does not really appear 100% private -- whereas other rooms show a private bathroom (sink, shower, tub, toilet) with a door. Though we are two ladies traveling, we prefer complete bathroom privacy. Does anyone know if the cheaper (Aloft) room has a different bathroom setup than the Breezy room ? Thanks for any information.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I stayed here last weekend. I booked and received an Aloft room. The bathroom is open to the bedroom as shown in the picture. I had a good room on a high floor facing the back with a large window but it was still open. The placement of the wardrobe means the toilet and showers do not open directly into the bedroom but the sink is there and there would not be much soundproofing from the loo.

On the other hand, the Breezy rooms only have king beds according to the web site so if you’re worried about seeing each other brushing teeth then sharing a bed may be out of the question. You’d need a splash or urban room for two beds and (presumably) a separate bathroom.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
The bathroom is open to the bedroom as shown in the picture.
It was only after a couple of stays that I realised the whole wooden panel (with the picture on it) acts as a sliding door.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
yes, there are sliding wood doors that can enclose the whole bath/toilet area.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by keepclimbing
It was only after a couple of stays that I realised the whole wooden panel (with the picture on it) acts as a sliding door.
Haha. Seriously, really? That's quite concealed. I didn't find that. It's not obvious. Well, that should resolve the question positively.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
SPG must be drunk these days to classify an aloft (no matter where and how nice) as a Cat 4 and ask 10,000 SPG points per night. That's simply out of touch
That's not about SPG as such or Aloft, it's about Taipei. Hotels are weirdly overpriced here. Say, much better located and having good rating Aloft Kuala Lumpur is just 3000–4000 points a night.

Originally Posted by kodansha999
The breakfast is not worth paying for and the hotel is definitely not a Cat 4 standard.
Think Holiday Inn Express equivalent.
Unfortunately, Taipei IHG properties are located in the middle of nowhere. Cheap on points though, MUCH better value.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:16 am

Stayed here recently in a Breezy room. As a Platinum, I received the room category I booked on a lowish floor but was given a card for free "specialty drinks" (think Nespresso-quality coffees) at the bar - alcoholic drinks were not included. I selected breakfast as my amenity.

The bed was comfortable and the sofa was functional rather than luxurious. The TV offered HDTV channels including standard (for Taiwan) English movie & entertainment channels. I was a bit surprised to find the mini-fridge was empty whereas bottled water is free for SPG Platinums at the W, soft drinks and beer are free at Le Meridien and everything is free at the Four Points or Design Hotels properties. The breakfast offering was a strange blend of miscellaneous breakfast and non-breakfast foods but the quality wasn't bad and the service was attentive.

The location is decent enough for tourists but prime sightseeing locations require an MRT ride. With that said, I liked the Family Mart across from the hotel, night market, bars, etc nearby.

Bottom line:
I would rate this highly as a budget-oriented international chain hotel and would recommend it as the best value-for-money SPG hotel in Taipei. But, in Taipei, I think you can find even better value outside the international chains.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by CXYYZ
SNIP
Bottom line:
I would rate this highly as a budget-oriented international chain hotel and would recommend it as the best value-for-money SPG hotel in Taipei. But, in Taipei, I think you can find even better value outside the international chains.
Agreed. As somebody else has noted, hotels in Taipei are weirdly over-priced compared to other cities in Asia given the relative cost of taxis, food and drink. While I'll happily stay at Le Meridiens, Sheratons, Westins and even Ws on occasion elsewhere in Asia I find the Taipei prices had to justify for a weekend break so this Aloft is very welcome. You make an interesting though point and if I'm not chasing eligible nights then a nice room with breakfast included can undoubtedly be found elsewhere for less.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
HI,
I may want to stay at this hotel in early February 2018 however I am confused about the bathrooms -- is there a difference between the Aloft room and the "Breezy" room bathrooms? - Some photos (TripAdvisor) appear to have bathrooms with a narrow wall separation from the main room and the sink area does not really appear 100% private -- whereas other rooms show a private bathroom (sink, shower, tub, toilet) with a door. Though we are two ladies traveling, we prefer complete bathroom privacy. Does anyone know if the cheaper (Aloft) room has a different bathroom setup than the Breezy room ? Thanks for any information.
Just stayed there last week with two rooms. The difference between the Aloft and Breezy bathrooms is that the latter has a bathtub. In both cases the toilet is in its own private stall with door.

I actually liked the property and left a positive review on their site. Excellent amenities, comfortable bed, free parking, metro stop one block away east, and a popular night market a block away to the north. They treat platinums well there too for a more limited service hotel.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Just stayed there last week with two rooms. The difference between the Aloft and Breezy bathrooms is that the latter has a bathtub. In both cases the toilet is in its own private stall with door.

I actually liked the property and left a positive review on their site. Excellent amenities, comfortable bed, free parking, metro stop one block away east, and a popular night market a block away to the north. They treat platinums well there too for a more limited service hotel.
I will second that the only difference in the rooms are the bathtub. I have stayed here quite a few times and the staff is more than helpful and if there are any needs or occasions. The best thing to do is to just contact the hotel ahead of time. One thing to keep in mind about the Aloft and upgrades is that room upgrades are not part of Aloft or Element hotels and one should not come in with the expectation that an upgrade will occur.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Hi

I have an upcoming 4 nights stay in Taipei and deciding to go with either Sheraton or Aloft Zhongshan. My last stay in Sheraton Taipei was years back when it was under "Lai Lai Sheraton" and I stayed in Aloft Zhongshan 1.5 years back.

Which hotel will be better in terms of breakfast offering and quality of room stay (e.g. cleanliness, etc).

I am SPG Gold member and will probably make no difference in terms of the "perks" offered in both hotels.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts on this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Sheraton, hands down. Extension breakfast selection, decent size room, good location, good facilities.
The breakfast at Aloft is very limited and the rooms are small. You can refer to my previous post.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:17 pm

The only thing I do not like about the Aloft Zhongshan is that it does not have a gym. Otherwise, works for me for a short stay in Taipei. The Aloft in Beitou DOES have a gym, but a bit out of the way for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.