Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Leipzig, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The GM of the hotel has been at the hotel since 2005?
That is correct.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's always been something "off" about Marriott that I couldn't quite put my finger on, I suppose the history of the brand makes sense and the response to the CH citizen.

It's offensive to use the flag of Israel as a symbol of Judaism while the Crescent Star is shown for Islam. And why put them together? Why those two? Why not go the whole way and put the flag of Palestine there too .

If the proverbial hits the fan, you'd think Senior Regional leadership or corporate would have a strategy for this and a GM has someone to call. Did corporate really sanction that silly flag show?

The lesson is, whip out your phone at the first opportunity when things are going wrong. While they will try to shut you down (especially in Germany for "privacy") for evidential reasons it's imperative.

Is Mr. W a Muslim or XRW, he can't be both, surely?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The flag was from a previous event held at the hotel… the position of the crescent moon isn’t right either, so indicative of the overall botched response.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
I know both Westin Leipzig and Marriott Leipzig from several stays.

Personally I prefer Westin as the rooms seem in better and more modern condition.
I booked a large suite at the Marriott during a stay before Corona and the bathroom was small, old and with no shower, the room covered with this kind of wood in 50s style.

Walking distance to pedestrian zone e.g. to popular "Marktplatz" or "Barfussgässchen" with a lot of out-door restaurants ist 5 (from Marriott) to 10 (from Westin) mins.
Westin is located some steps only from main station. Marriott is located more in the center of old town.

Regarding that unspeakable matter which is reported by media I would be careful with prejustice as it is one person´s word against others. The team members at Westin I got to know would never have behaved like this.

And this our/my country has not more or less problems with such kind of incidents than others. I would mean even less.
thomas199023 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Andie007
The German forum is posting that the GM is now suspended. Anyhow, there have been other quite strange stories around the hotel and the general management (Plats have asked for room upgrades and the hotel was complaining about the behavior of those guests).

I agree with ryanp. Westin Leipzig is now off my list. And I would also expect a proactive communictions by Marriott to (esp.) German frequent traveller about that - but knowing Marriott I know it will not happen.

Overall very shocking and absolutely not tolerable.
IMHO totally inappropriate reactions.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by submonte
I know both Westin Leipzig and Marriott Leipzig from several stays.

Personally I prefer Westin as the rooms seem in better and more modern condition.
I booked a large suite at the Marriott during a stay before Corona and the bathroom was small, old and with no shower, the room covered with this kind of wood in 50s style.

Walking distance to pedestrian zone e.g. to popular "Marktplatz" or "Barfussgässchen" with a lot of out-door restaurants ist 5 (from Marriott) to 10 (from Westin) mins.
Westin is located some steps only from main station. Marriott is located more in the center of old town.

Regarding that unspeakable matter which is reported by media I would be careful with prejustice as it is one person´s word against others. The team members at Westin I got to know would never have behaved like this.

And this our/my country has not more or less problems with such kind of incidents than others. I would mean even less.
Actually the Marriott is closer to the main station than the Westin. And it is located within the old city center while the Westin is outside of it. Apart from that please refrain from „less problems“ bad OMNI comments here.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by red star
Actually the Marriott is closer to the main station than the Westin. And it is located within the old city center while the Westin is outside of it. Apart from that please refrain from „less problems“ bad OMNI comments here.
The Westin is closer to main station access, around 100m to entrance at Kurt-Schumacher-Straße. As well I reject your further comment as incomprehensible. Finally, to end that discussion, the Westin will remain my preferred hotel for stays in that region.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 2:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The local newspaper got an interview with the involved parties: it seems the checkin system had broken down and when it was up again an elderly couple that stays frequently at that hotel (200+ stays so far) was checked in before Gil even though he was ahead of them in the queue. This caused a heated conversation which eventually led to the allleged statement. I'm curious what the final report of the prosecutors office will reveal. Of course by then the public attention will have moved on.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The local newspaper got an interview with the involved parties: it seems the checkin system had broken down and when it was up again an elderly couple that stays frequently at that hotel (200+ stays so far) was checked in before Gil even though he was ahead of them in the queue. This caused a heated conversation which eventually led to the allleged statement. I'm curious what the final report of the prosecutors office will reveal. Of course by then the public attention will have moved on.
I wonder if this couple might have used the elite check in line, if the Westin has one. If they stay there that frequently, they are probably elite members.
Still doesn't excuse the main issue here of course, but could have contributed.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:13 am

Acc. "Bild am Sonntag" there are serious doubts about Ofarim´s description of the events:

Gil Ofarim: Neue Videoaufnahmen zeigen ihn ohne Davidstern-Kette in Leipzig - FOCUS Online

Translated:
Gil Ofarim: New video recordings show him without a Star of David chain in Leipzig - FOCUS Online (www-focus-de.translate.goog)

"Doesn't matter if the chain could be seen"
A surveillance video now sheds new light on the anti-Semitism scandal surrounding Gil Ofarim....

....Ofarim had made serious allegations against an employee of the hotel and filed a complaint. An employee at the reception asked the singer to remove his chain with a Star of David, only then could he check in. However, the surveillance videos that have now emerged show that Ofarim apparently did not wear a chain with a visible Star of David.

Ofarim: "It´s not about whether the chain was visible"

When asked by the newspaper, the singer said: "It's not about whether the chain was visible." It is about the fact that he was insulted anti-Semitically. According to information from "Bild am Sonntag", the Leipzig police now have "serious doubts" about the originally described course of events. Ofarim said during an interrogation that he was no longer certain whether he was wearing a chain that evening....."
MrSnoot78 likes this.

Last edited by submonte; Oct 17, 2021 at 5:25 am Reason: Changed font size
Old Oct 18, 2021, 10:42 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Westin Leipzig Review

The Westin Leipzig

1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Westin Leipzig

Gerberstr. 15 Leipzig, DE 04105

Westin Leipzig Review (6 Photos)

The Westin Leipzig

I stayed here on a whim after getting a ticket for a jazz concert at the Gewandhaus. Overall it was part of a train/bus trip to get from Munich to Brest, Belarus, that I tried to chop into pieces to make more palatable.

I chose this hotel over the Marriott because the Marriott's furnishing looked dated online and this one simply looked nicer. The Westin was also slightly cheaper.

I would recommend this hotel to a business or leisure traveler. It is perfectly located to easily reach the train station and other central areas of the city by foot.

Room

I had booked a regular room and got an upgrade called superior or something like that. I think it was just a higher room floor with a view that made the category difference.

Unfortunately I forgot to take the pictures when entering the room, so please accept my messiness. Of course the room was well made up when entering it.

I found the bed to be really firm, which I like. The room was perhaps a bit warm, but that probably was my fault. I had neither opened the window when heading to bed, not did I even look at the thermostat.

I do remember flipping briefly through the tv stations and thinking, "wow do they have a lot of stations.". This included Sky Sports and other sports stations.

DEF0BEF5-9C42-4157-B6F7-D5D64D761A8D.jpeg38B8FC4B-54DF-4649-8F91-6F0E804EA917.jpeg480FF423-484B-4CAA-A80C-1B2347F75C48.jpegDE61F5FA-922D-4DBA-B345-1AD56C59C789.jpeg9458798D-633D-43B7-A33D-B152A0CDFC9F.jpeg

I found this hotel to have a good location. The Marriott is perhaps somewhat better located, but the difference is marginal, as far as I am concerned.

The city is very walkable, so grab your walking shoes and explore! :)

The parking in the garage is 11 EUR per day, by the way, which is much cheaper than the hotels.

Check In

I booked really late and checked in even later after midnight. I had come just in the nick of time, because they were just starting the end of day processes. Pre-corona I would have messaged ahead, but I am out of practice. 

They took it in stride and provided me with a plat upgrade. They offered 1000 points amenity or breakfast. I opted for the breakfast. They made no mention of the lounge, so I assumed that it was not in operation because of Covid.

They did ask for Covid test/vaccination proof, which is standard throughout Germany.

Dining

I only managed to try out the breakfast, which is typical buffet style. The selection was typical for German hotels of this caliber. They did not have an omelette station, which surprised me. I felt that they were a bit slow about bringing around coffee and clearing dirty dishes. Otherwise I was happy with the food options and quality.

The staff were friendly and came around to all the late breakfasters informing them that they had 10 minutes left to grab anything that they wanted. They did not rush people to leave however and you could continue sitting as long as you wanted.

07903F74-4128-4543-8EE5-9D4B995A0415.jpeg

Westin Leipzig Review

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Leipzig?

No, thank you.
Yes
Pitero and submonte like this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:47 am

is it factual

Originally Posted by FlyerTalker78341
Attempt at a summary of this shocking antisemitic event:

​​​​​​There was a long line at reception due to a failure of the front desk's computer system. German musician and TV show host Gil Ofarim was in line, wearing a necklace with a Star of David.

He noticed he was not served when it was his turn. Allegedly, another guest waiting in line shouted: "Put away your Star!" A bit later, Ofarim questioned the receptionist why he kept pulling guests behind him in the queue up front. The receptionist told him that he would have to remove his Star of David if he wanted to receive service.

Visibly very shaken and shocked, Ofarim made a video for his Instagram which went viral. His management eventually found another hotel for him.

As if this crass antisemitism was not disturbing enough, the Westin Leipzig's first response felt inappropriate as well. In their initial statement, they said:

"Unser Ziel ist es, alle unsere Gäste und Mitarbeiter zu integrieren, zu respektieren und zu unterstützen, unabhängig davon, welcher Religion sie angehören."

My translation: It is our goal to integrate, respect, and supporting all our guests and employees, irrespective of their faith.

The tone feels off to me. Ofarim is German, 39 years old, born in Munich. His family lived in Germany and Europe his entire life. Why would you need to "integrate" him? You might ask for integration of an asylum-seeker who recently arrived after fleeing from a war in his native country, but not of someone who is a well-known German celebrity.

I am avoiding this property from now on. It seems they have put the front desk agent responsible on administrative leave, but in my view, many questions remain.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 5:50 am

Apparently the police checked the cameras to verify mr ofarim's story and did not see evidence of what Mr Ofarim claimed.
and now he is being sued for slander.
So I am not sure what happened but I do not believe it happened exactly As Mr Ofarim claims.
submonte likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 2:37 am

The DA investigated the matter and published its report last week. It seems the keycard system crashed just as the 'star' arrived. They got the box with the backup key cards from the backoffice and started handing the guests the keycards as they checked in everyone. The manager spotted two regular guests in the line and saw that they were already checked in, so he picked up the key cards and handed them to the guests and apologized for the inconvinience. Ofraim was just behind those two. When he got to the counter (24 minutes after arriving at the hotel) he pulled a DYKWIA and threatened to start a .... storm for being mistreated. When that escalated the manager reversed the checkin and told him that he can only stay at the hotel if he apologized. Ofraim then left the hotel, called his assistant to be rebooked and filmed the video infront of the building. He posted the video on Instagram a day later.

Now the DA is pressing charges against the star for his actions. Lets see if the court will accept this or close the case against a fine/apology.

Spiegel report: https://www.spiegel.de/panorama/uebe...5-a8def03b3bbf
DA PR: https://www.medienservice.sachsen.de...n/news/1041307
Old Dec 4, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
This place does not recommend itself. No kettle/fridge in the rooms. Spotty internet that disconnects intermittently. No Westin-heavenly beds here either. The thin pillows were lumpy and they only provide two miserable single duvets for a Grand Premium king size room. Worst of all, on a snowy Leipzig weekend, the "hot" water was lukewarm at best. You will have to pay an additional 10 euros per night to use their gym/spa.

The lounge is still closed. For Marriott elites, you get one hour of booze from this menu as well as a "surprise" from the kitchen which turned out to be soup and bread. Meh.

Stick to the beer

Skip this "kitchen surprise" and head out into the Christmas markets instead

The staff are trying the best they can but we're still looking at some very very long queues at check in during this holiday season. If you're in Leipzig, you may be better off at the Marriott in the old town center instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.