Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Element Bozeman, Montana [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 11:02 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL

Everything went well this week at this brand new Element.

Check in was smooth. They had just had a manager's reception that was over by the time I got there but front desk asked if I wanted a beer or something else. I chose the beer.

Room was clean, large and internet speed was great. Bed was comfy and blinds shut out the light.

Breakfast was a bit skimpy but it had all the essentials including bacon and eggs, yogurt, pastries, fruit etc. They apparently also make smoothies.

All the staff were friendly and seemed genuinely interested in how the hotel was.

$5 for parking for downtown hotel seemed reasonable. Reasonable rates, great downtown location and all round great service make this a winner so far!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Cool

I'm a frequent, monthly traveler to Bozeman, MT for the last 7 years and have been coming to Bozeman at least 1x a year for the last nearly 18 years.

I have to echo the OP's review and sentiment! This Element location is quite good. A few notes and thoughts below, not to repeat OP's commentary.

1. FINALLY! A Starwood property in Montana! Whew! Bozeman isn't a big town but has THREE Hilton properties, two LaQuinta's, two IHG / Holiday Inns -- so it was about time an SPG property arrived.

2. There is a free airport shuttle. Although Uber is supposed to be arriving in Bozeman 'soon', the trip to/from the Airport is lengthy.

3. The location relative to downtown Bozeman is bar-none. Few other modern hotels match the ease of walkability to the downtown core area. Having said that -- if you want or need to get to the mall, a larger grocery store, decent sushi, or other chain locations -- plan on renting a car. While there are plenty of restaurants, small shops, bars, and coffee lounges in walking distance, Bozeman is still a small city that is spread out enough to require a vehicle to really get around.

4. The pool at the Element is saline / saltwater. I didn't get to use it while here, but will do this on my next trip. Also, the gym is open 24h and is spacious with multiple treadmills and a large, well-stocked pile of freeweights and barbels.

5. Parking, as noted, is $5. This is a rarity and an odd curiosity given it is Montana -- to my knowledge it is the only paid parking at a hotel in Bozeman. The staff informed me that because of the popularity of the downtown area, they have had problems with non-guests using their parking lot, requiring brightly-colored 'parking permits' and a $5/night fee to ward off ordinary citizens from parking in the hotel lot as a mistake.

6. The rooms are brand new and still have the new room smell. While here, I called the front desk once to ask about the auto temp controls not working; the engineer came up immediately and said they were planning on a reboot of their HVAC system software to fix the problem. Rebooting 5 minutes later and the problem went away.

7. Staff are courteous, friendly, accommodating, and hard working. Even the breakfast guy reloading the pastries this morning seemed genuinely interested in feeding folks.

8. There's a few spots still being built-up in the building, including a front-facing restaurant location that looks like it's still getting drywall put in. Perhaps once that is done, it will also allow for room service?

9. My room rate (AAA discounted) was in-line with similarly styled rooms from Marriott and Hilton chains, yet this location is steps from downtown with a surprisingly superior breakfast situation. +2 for SPG.

10. Internet, compared to my experiences at Hilton or Marriott properties, is fast and terrific. I'm SPG Gold and get the 'faster' internet for free that I would nominally pay for at Hilton -- yet the free Gold-level internet speed at Element was still faster than the premium pay internet at all three Hiltons I've stayed at locally.

11. Only gripe: no notice of the nightly Relax evening reception until long after I checked in and looked at the fridge magnet announcing it. My first stay at any Element, so I'll make sure to do it next time.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
11. Is the reception really every night or only something like Monday through Thursday?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:25 pm

Will definitely put this one on my list to check out.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I have a res there next month. Any particular restaurants in walking distance that you would recommend for dinner? Not looking for sushi, which noted above is further away anyhow.
Thanks,
TRRed
Old Dec 31, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if the one-bedroom suite has a door to the bedroom, so it's separate?
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

For those who know this property and the Homewood Suites, would you book 2 standard rooms at the Element (20K SPG points) or a 2 bedroom suite at Homewood Suites ($330 incl tax)?
Old Jul 9, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Since this thread doesn't have a whole lot of activity, I figured I'd chime in on a two-night stay last week with a few observations:

Parking is still $5, which seems nickel and diming given room rates, but given the accessibility to downtown I could see where a permit system is necessary.

The Relax reception included a couple of microbrews (one local) and drinkable red/white cask wines. Breakfast had good selection, with three hot offerings being prepared to order: pancakes, French toast, and a third I can't remember. There was also a yogurt bar with fruits, coconut, and other items for toppings or mixing. As noted above, staff were friendly and seemed generally interested in assuring that guests were enjoying their stays.

The adjoining restaurant is under construction, with the "coming in 2016" sign still in the window.

We stayed in a studio suite: it was essentially a large room with an oversized desk and sectional-type sofa with a chaise on the end. The bathroom was quite spacious by hotel standards and had a shower only.

Overall, a great stay. We'd certainly pick the Element again if travels take us to Bozeman.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
We just checked in here, we spent a week up at big sky skiing ( wow, don’t miss that place if you are ever in Bozeman during the winter, it is amazing skiing and lacking the crowds that most resorts in North America have ) and then are spending Christmas week here with some family and needed a hotel room in town.
parking is indeed still five dollars and if you are willing to bump it up to $10 you can park in the covered garage across the street, which is particularly helpful when it is snowing 6 to 8 inches a day.
Great location and for us really good space, we are in the one bedroom room and it is a decent amount of space for two adults and two kids. The one great is it really is lacking on storage and so we are going to be leaving bags of ski equipment downstairs with them each day instead of trying to cram it in here. The public space in this hotel is really nice, the entire lobby area flowing over to the gym and then to the pool gives you a sense of indoor space, and that’s pretty nice one it’s hardly breaking 0° outside. Very friendly staff and very welcoming to us as platinum guests.
we spent our first night here last week at the holiday in express out near the airport in Belgrade, because we got in after midnight. But the element is a far better hotel for the same amount of money.
I have stayed in a number of element properties before and this one is in really nice shape in terms of wear and tear. Compare it to some other earlier element properties in busy locations like New York that are completely worn and rundown, this place still feels almost brand new.
We are going to sneak in a couple of half days at nearby bridger bowl, the front desk says it is only 20 minutes away and with the amount and quality of the snow down here in town I suspect it will be pretty decent skiing. Nice to have something so close by.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:48 pm

We went back here again for my kids mid winter break in Feb 2018 and we are checking in this week for another Christmas of skiing with relatives in town. Cannot say enough about the great location for walking around and enjoying town but being very close to Bridger Bowl and not too bad for a drive up to Big Sky.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:24 am

A couple of other comments:
-They upgraded us to thr Conference Suite which is slightly larger than the standard 1 bedroom suite. There is more closet space and a bigger bedroom. Just a bit more space but it really makes the stay w kids easier.
-Paulener hefeweisen in bottles at the happy hours, which starts the moment you walk in after a full day at nearby Bridger Bowl.
-The covered parking lot across the street is still available for $10 per day but they have upgraded the technology there and you no longer require a constant supply of validated tickets to get in and out.
-The staff are great here! Don’t be bashful about asking for more refills of breakfast stuff if the buffet is empty, they seem to rely a bit on being prompted to refill everything.
-The sofa bed requires a thick pad from housekeeping or it is terribly uncomfortable. And all three stays we have had to ask for that, it’s not left in the room or even brought up w blankets. You need to specifically ask them to bring a mattress pad and then they miraculously find one. It’s as if they don’t have many people using the sofa beds?!
-Location is king as others have said. Had the option of two rooms at the Springhill suites for only a bit more and we went with the Element based on location. We will probably do a suite and a room here next time though for a bit more space.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:53 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the updates. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:48 am

A small but significant update. When we took showers on our first day, everyone complained they were not really hot enough. We notified the front desk sand they said they would fix it the next morning. We came back that evening and apparently they had done a lot of work, including having to shut the water for the entire hotel. But unfortunately whatever they replaced didnt fix our problem and seemingly made it worse. They have since tried and failed each day to get the water in the shower to stay above roughly 86. Try taking an 86 degree shower after a day on the mountains in 7 degree weather. Add small kids into the mix and you increase the annoyance exponentially.

Finally, yesterday (Saturday) they informed us that the last thing on their list of things to try cannot be done until Monday due to a part not being available. At this point we’ve had 5 days with tepid water and I had had enough. The hotel is near full and there are no more of the large suites available and around town there wasnt much left either. I finally got the Assistant Manager to agree to give us a second king room on our floor for no charge until our hot water problem is remedied, so for at least three nights we have a second room with true hot water in the shower.

They offered to comp one night of our stay as well, I’m going back and pointing out that we were without hot water for five nights and so I want two nights comp’d. My feeling is that they are in control of the property and could have chosen to do something proactive much earlier like the second room arrangement that i finally pushed for after five nights of frustration. Any thoughts on suitable comp? I have a ton of points already so i am looking for cash comp only.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by stephem
I finally got the Assistant Manager to agree to give us a second king room on our floor for no charge until our hot water problem is remedied, so for at least three nights we have a second room with true hot water in the shower.

They offered to comp one night of our stay as well, I’m going back and pointing out that we were without hot water for five nights and so I want two nights comp’d. My feeling is that they are in control of the property and could have chosen to do something proactive much earlier like the second room arrangement that i finally pushed for after five nights of frustration. Any thoughts on suitable comp? I have a ton of points already so i am looking for cash comp only.
If they comp your stay you probably won't get any points or night credit, if that matters to you. Maybe an equivelent number of points for three nights stay at any category 5 or 6 property?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's a a bathtub and kitchen, can you go old fashioned and heat/boil as much water as possible in the kitchen to pour into the bathtub? I've thinking a couple pots on the range/stovetop, more in the microwave, and use the kettle and coffee maker simultaneously to get a tub full of warm water for the kids.

When desperate, I've used an immersion water coil to heat water in my coffee cup and pour into the sink until it was warm enough to be able to wash hair or do a sponge bath when the hotel only had icy water. A small amount of boiling water can warm a much larger volume to something that's borderline acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.