FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Laguna Resort & Spa, Nusa Dua, Bali, Indonesia [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/169495-laguna-resort-spa-nusa-dua-bali-indonesia-master-thread.html)

SC Alum Dec 18, 2010 10:42 pm

Currently typing from the Laguna nusa dua bali. As a plat don't expect too much. :( Other than the regular free internet, and room upgrade, there is no other freebies.

There is a new GM here, and it seems he made some changes.

Used to be I'd get meal discounts vouchers, welcome chocolates, suite upgrades.

I was told by the butler, there won't be any more welcome chocolates :td: due to policy of the new GM. Also, I did not receive any meal discount vouchers, and also I was upgraded to a pool access room, instead of the usual Suite upgrades. I was informed it was full, yet the hotel is only 60% occupied and it still shows on the internet, there were suites available. Since it was only me and my wife, I didn't want to make a fuss, and accepted gracefully. :)

Overall it was still a pleasant stay, even though I've stayed there over a dozen times, and can't wait for the new *wood props to open up. Might think twice before staying there again though.

mario33 Dec 19, 2010 1:57 am

Originally Posted by SC Alum (Post 15479132)
There is a new GM here, and it seems he made some changes.

There is a new Hotel Manager who reports to an MD who overseas both the Laguna & St Regis. Effectively they dont have a full time GM now.

Pak David has apparently taken up a new position in South Korea.

edsh Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am

Currently staying at the Laguna during the peak New Years holiday. As this is the rainy season, we've had 3 steady days of showers and 2 half days of sun. I'm checking out before I incur the mandatory $300 per person New Years Eve dinner charge. (Although many resorts in Asia press this add on, this is the highest I've ever heard.)

Knowing that the hotel would be near full occupancy, I reserved (using points) a Lagoon Access room. The room faces the side of the property away from the main courtyard and is the closest thing to having a private pool possible without going for a villa. As a Platinum at checkin, I was told the hotel was full and that they were unable to provide an upgrade to a suite so, in lieu of an upgrade they offered free breakfast. Although I was happy with the outcome I questioned 3 times the "No Breakfast for Platinum" policy and was told each time that this was not an automatic given. Breakfast is normally IDR 150k per person.

By comparison, I've stayed at Conrad as a Diamond and Grand Hyatt as a Diamond. In regards to rooms at each, I greatly prefer the Lagoon Access room at the Laguna to the rooms at each of the other hotels. The grounds of the Laguna have a more intimate feel to them. However, in regards to Elite level benefits, the other two properties far outclass the Laguna. Breakfast buffets in Bali all operate at a different level than other hotels in the world. While many will be satisfied by the breakfast at the Laguna, a comparison to the Conrad and Hyatt would show the Laguna mediocre in both quantity and especially quality of offerings. Conrad provides a complimentary afternoon tea service that could easily be considered a 4th meal and the Grand Hyatt offers free cocktails and appetizers each evening in their club lounge. Neither are offered at the Laguna.

Overall a great holiday. Just wish the Laguna would step up and make some effort to recognize *wood membership levels as do other chains in Bali.

Bonecrusher Dec 30, 2010 5:16 am

Slip sliding away...

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 15479655)
There is a new Hotel Manager who reports to an MD who overseas both the Laguna & St Regis. Effectively they dont have a full time GM now.

Pak David has apparently taken up a new position in South Korea.

Originally Posted by edsh (Post 15547263)

By comparison, I've stayed at Conrad as a Diamond and Grand Hyatt as a Diamond. In regards to rooms at each, I greatly prefer the Lagoon Access room at the Laguna to the rooms at each of the other hotels. The grounds of the Laguna have a more intimate feel to them. However, in regards to Elite level benefits, the other two properties far outclass the Laguna. Breakfast buffets in Bali all operate at a different level than other hotels in the world. While many will be satisfied by the breakfast at the Laguna, a comparison to the Conrad and Hyatt would show the Laguna mediocre in both quantity and especially quality of offerings. Conrad provides a complimentary afternoon tea service that could easily be considered a 4th meal and the Grand Hyatt offers free cocktails and appetizers each evening in their club lounge. Neither are offered at the Laguna.

Overall a great holiday. Just wish the Laguna would step up and make some effort to recognize *wood membership levels as do other chains in Bali.

Yes this Hotel has slipped a lot since David Cuddon left for Seoul.
Not the Hotel it used to be, service levels have fallen and previously generous Plat benefits diluted.Still a nice stay but they do not go over the top to ensure you have a great stay and don't new management tell you so.

jaejaez Dec 30, 2010 6:05 am

I would have gone back next year on my trip to Bali... but it looks like I will be splitting my stays between W and Westin instead.

Which hotel in Korea did the ex GM go to?

mario33 Dec 30, 2010 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Bonecrusher (Post 15547944)
...and previously generous Plat benefits diluted.

While the Laguna has been generous with suite upgrades, its one of the few starwood hotels in SE Asia which does not offer free breakfast to platinums.

Bonecrusher Dec 30, 2010 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jaejaez (Post 15548073)
Which hotel in Korea did the ex GM go to?

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=3569

Originally Posted by mario33 (Post 15548528)
While the Laguna has been generous with suite upgrades, its one of the few starwood hotels in SE Asia which does not offer free breakfast to platinums.

I have always had free Breakfast here until my last stay.
There are many good Hotels in Bali, this used to be a great Hotel.Time to move on for me.

aussiechris Dec 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bonecrusher (Post 15550440)

There are many good Hotels in Bali, this used to be a great Hotel.Time to move on for me.

I am sorry to hear of the demise of this Hotel as I had a great stay here only 12 months ago.
My wife and I were looking for a 7 day break in early February 2011 so we might try the IC in Jimbaran Bay.

mario33 Dec 30, 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bonecrusher (Post 15550440)

I believe its only offered to 'selected' Platinum guests, never offered to me the few times I stayed as Platinum & confirmed by management its not a standard platinum benefit at the resort.

Sam P. Goodman Dec 30, 2010 11:22 pm

I have a week in Bali planned for June. Right now, I'm planning to split between the St. Regis and Laguna, but I'm really hoping the W opens in time because Laguna sounds like it's lost the lustre I read about in previous reviews.

snowymt Jan 14, 2011 11:09 am

Stayed at the Laguna over Dec 17-20 using C&P and couldn't be more pleased. It is a beautiful property and well kept. There was always someone sweeping, cleaning the lagoons, etc. Everyone was so helpful and attentive. We upgraded using points again to a lagoon access room and it was wonderful to just be able to step into a lagoon pool from your balcony.

Usually when we travel we're more adventurous and try to do local things but we decided to just relax this time at the resort and make it as hassle free as possible. We used the hotel taxi for airport transfers and it was a relief to just have someone waiting for us after a very chaotic plane ride and embarkation. For food, room service was delicious and I had a hair treatment at the spa which was very relaxing. My parents loved the coffee/tea butler service and certainly made use of it often! Rooms were clean, spacious, comfy beds, great shower, and a delightful exotic fruit basket.

Had Sunday brunch at the St Regis which was the highlight of the trip (maybe the entire year). It was simply amazing, fine quality, a huge assortment of food and lovely service as well. We got to tour that property and I would love to stay at the St Regis one day when I win the lottery :o)

Overall, the Laguna was an ideal and peaceful place for a relaxing vacation. (though we did have some incredible thunderstorms one night--anyone here there at that time too?) :) I thought it was great value using Starwood points there and would love to return soon!

oh I also forgot to add that it was my birthday and I got a lovely flower arrangement and birthday cake (big enough for 4 to share) from our wonderful butler.

skye1 Jan 29, 2011 1:23 am

Just spent a week at the Laguna.
Breakfast---called to ask if breakfast is included for SPG Platinums. Was put on hold for a moment ("let me check w/ my manager"). Then told, "because you are a Platinum guest, we will make an internal note to include breakfast for you."
Room Upgrade--was upgraded to a "lagoon access" room, and on my last night, a "lagoon access studio" was available. The "lagoon" I had access to, and IMHO, this is the one to shoot for when searching rooms, is on the back of the property, and feels very private, dotted with its own cabanas and gazebos and its own small bar.
Property---agreed with previous post on cleanliness of property. You can't go anywhere around the resort without seeing staff cleaning the lagoons, raking the sand on the beaches, re-stocking towels, tidying the pillows for the cabanas, mopping floors, etc. Absolutely spotless.
Staff---some of the friendliest staff I've ever encountered at a Starwood property. Always a s smile and hello/good morning/good afternoon from everyone you pass by.
Butler Service--Will bring complementary coffee/tea anytime you ask, usually within moments of your call. if you've got a lagoon access room, then you really need to enjoy having your butler bring you your cuppa' in the morning which he'll set out for your on your deck overlooking "your" lagoon. Def. a "this is the life" moment.
Health Club/Gym--didn't try out the spa area, but the gym, to be honest, was nothing amazing to write home about...more like your average Sheraton or 4-points gym than a Westin/W/Regis branded facility. Not horrible, and certainly practical, 'tho.

superspudbucket Mar 6, 2011 4:43 pm

Any love for the Gold?

I suspect that I know the answer already but just curious if SPG gold gets you anything here,

mario33 Mar 7, 2011 4:45 am

Originally Posted by superspudbucket (Post 15986418)
I suspect that I know the answer already but just curious if SPG gold gets you anything here,

Dont expect anything more than a 1 category upgrade eg garden view to lagoon view, or maybe the same room type on a spg floor/wing.

yyzvoyageur Mar 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Renovated rooms?

Do we know if all the rooms were renovated in the last few years? I don't want to book anything too dated or worn.