Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Augustine, Luxury Collection, Prague, Czech Republic [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Augustine, Luxury Collection, Prague, Czech Republic [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone have an email address for a marketing or sales person at the hotel? or the GM?
Old May 13, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Completed a second stay here, now as an SPG Gold member booking the C+P rate. Was upgraded to a deluxe room at checkin and was offered Platinum benefits, which I found a little surprising (but a fun error in my favor!) Breakfast has been upgraded since my last stay here - they now have hot items available. Service is well-intentioned, although there is the occasional language barrier issue. This remains an excellent deal for a hotel in a great location which offers C+P availability virtually all year round despite expensive room rates during the tourist season. Very easy to get 4 cents/SPG point here.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Any recent opinions on this property?

Will be in Prague next month and was choosing between this and the less expensive Carlo IV.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:32 am

I was at Carlo IV last month, and at Augustine I had a dinner last year. At Augustine I felt more luxury, but nothing can beat the pool at Carlo IV. Both properties have excellent central locations on two different side of river, but if you need train - Carlo IV is very near. But I have to say that elite treatment at Carlo IV was not existent.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:37 am

I forgot to mention. I also used Courtyard in Prague - I was impressed, elite treatment was excellent, location is very good, the hotels is new with excellent design and I found more than excellent C+P price. Comparing to Carlo IV - much better stay, but as I said before - the pool at Carlo IV is unbeatable.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HRSPGPutnik
I was at Carlo IV last month, and at Augustine I had a dinner last year. At Augustine I felt more luxury, but nothing can beat the pool at Carlo IV. Both properties have excellent central locations on two different side of river, but if you need train - Carlo IV is very near. But I have to say that elite treatment at Carlo IV was not existent.

Thanks for the updates

Seems like the Carlo IV is a good option for the price. The lack of elite recognition is a bit worrying though.

The Augestine is going for around 350 USD a night for my dates which is a bit pricey for Prague. Might be worth it though since I hear the property is very unique.

Decisions decisions
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Some
So, I'm here now and struggling to see what all the fuss is about, frankly!

Asked if a room with a view of Prague Castle was possible as I could see they were available online and told no dice, despite the fact I said I was happy to wait for a room and can see they are still selling Premium Deluxe rooms online now for today. Room is quirky and fairly nicely decorated but is somewhat dark and doesn't exactly scream luxury, didn't expect to see a shower curtain and no separate shower at this price point. No welcome amenity given (which is supposed to be guaranteed with FHR regardless of any status benefit?), complimentary water provided is a small 330ml bottle which turn down service didn't replace. At the 400 USD+ they are charging for tonight, it feels a bit of a rip off, particularly for Eastern Europe even if Prague is a tourist trap these days. The hotel is very quiet and doesn't seem that full.

I get the feeling those who booked here with points will probably assess the value for money slightly more favourably, but as a cash booking I'm not sure this hotel makes sense. Maybe this hotel is suffering by comparison because my last two stays (ignoring the Sheraton Heathrow) were at The Langley and Parklane, both of which are incredible Luxury Collection properties but frankly they're going to have to do something pretty good for me to not check out feeling like this was terrible value for money when I could have had the Marriott for half the price or the Four Seasons for about 50 USD more.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Central Europe
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
So, I'm here now and struggling to see what all the fuss is about, frankly!

Asked if a room with a view of Prague Castle was possible as I could see they were available online and told no dice, despite the fact I said I was happy to wait for a room and can see they are still selling Premium Deluxe rooms online now for today. Room is quirky and fairly nicely decorated but is somewhat dark and doesn't exactly scream luxury, didn't expect to see a shower curtain and no separate shower at this price point. No welcome amenity given (which is supposed to be guaranteed with FHR regardless of any status benefit?), complimentary water provided is a small 330ml bottle which turn down service didn't replace. At the 400 USD+ they are charging for tonight, it feels a bit of a rip off, particularly for Eastern Europe even if Prague is a tourist trap these days. The hotel is very quiet and doesn't seem that full.

I get the feeling those who booked here with points will probably assess the value for money slightly more favourably, but as a cash booking I'm not sure this hotel makes sense. Maybe this hotel is suffering by comparison because my last two stays (ignoring the Sheraton Heathrow) were at The Langley and Parklane, both of which are incredible Luxury Collection properties but frankly they're going to have to do something pretty good for me to not check out feeling like this was terrible value for money when I could have had the Marriott for half the price or the Four Seasons for about 50 USD more.
I think you'd do well to consider how the Augustine prices compare with the other luxury hotels in Prague, rather than thinking about other Luxury Collection properties in other very different hotel markets. Next weekend, for example, the Augustine starts at about $314, versus the Four Seasons Prague at $400, the Mandarin Oriental Prague at $400, and the Aria Prague at $250. So the rates pretty well reflect the market there in Prague at the 5 star luxury level. As always, it's all relative.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I was tempted to make the exact same point, bhrubin. The assumption was that luxury hotels in Prague would be cheap (like finding somewhere in Chisinau), but the high number of Viking cruisers and other tourists have made it more comparable to Vienna than Brno in pricing.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott’s are a dime a dozen. Not too many former monasteries that are now luxury properties. Plus, on site beer brewing!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:41 am

My main point wasn’t that I was expecting it to be cheap, my main point was I was expecting it to be better given a lot of people seem to rate it as one of the best Luxury Collection properties. The price point was more to demonstrate I think you’re paying a massive premium for the heritage building when you could e.g. get the FS for a similar price which surely must be better than this (unless Prague 5 star hotels just have low standards). The building is unique but I can probably name 10 Luxury Collection properties that I’ve stayed at in the last year with better rooms and service. UA-NYC’s point about Marriott’s being a dime a dozen is fair!

And Mea Culpa on the Eastern Europe point; should have just stuck to calling it CEE .

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Jul 28, 2019 at 1:47 am
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think you'd do well to consider how the Augustine prices compare with the other luxury hotels in Prague, rather than thinking about other Luxury Collection properties in other very different hotel markets. Next weekend, for example, the Augustine starts at about $314, versus the Four Seasons Prague at $400, the Mandarin Oriental Prague at $400, and the Aria Prague at $250. So the rates pretty well reflect the market there in Prague at the 5 star luxury level. As always, it's all relative.
I believe I did ‘consider how the Augustine prices compare with the other luxury hotels in Prague’, hence my reference to the Four Seasons being priced similarly. My point was this ain’t no Four Seasons.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I believe I did ‘consider how the Augustine prices compare with the other luxury hotels in Prague’, hence my reference to the Four Seasons being priced similarly. My point was this ain’t no Four Seasons.
It’s funny, because we coincidentally stayed at the Four Seasons (and got a crazy upgrade to a Presidential Suite, no less) and yet found the Augustine to be an impressive luxury hotel in its own right with great decor and amenities, amazing service, fantastic F&B, and a comparably impressive sense of place.

The Four Seasons Prague isn’t known as a bastion of impeccable service as much as the brand suggests otherwise, but it does have a great hard product and nice F&B—along with a nice view of Prague Castle, but only if you’re lucky enough to get one of the rooms on that river side (which we did).

The service at the Augustine was every bit as good as that at the Four Seasons...and that’s a big part of what one tends to pay for when staying at a luxury hotel.

The Augustine is a little less expensive than the Four Seasons, but both were impressive luxury hotels to us. We’d gladly return for a future stay at the Augustine. Especially with my Ambassador elite status, the Augustine would be a bargain compared to the Four Seasons from my perspective.

Perspective matters.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:14 am
Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

It’s funny, because we coincidentally stayed at the Four Seasons (and got a crazy upgrade to a Presidential Suite, no less) and yet found the Augustine to be an impressive luxury hotel in its own right with great decor and amenities, amazing service, fantastic F&B, and a comparably impressive sense of place.

The Four Seasons Prague isn’t known as a bastion of impeccable service as much as the brand suggests otherwise, but it does have a great hard product and nice F&B—along with a nice view of Prague Castle, but only if you’re lucky enough to get one of the rooms on that river side (which we did).

The service at the Augustine was every bit as good as that at the Four Seasons...and that’s a big part of what one tends to pay for when staying at a luxury hotel.

The Augustine is a little less expensive than the Four Seasons, but both were impressive luxury hotels to us. We’d gladly return for a future stay at the Augustine. Especially with my Ambassador elite status, the Augustine would be a bargain compared to the Four Seasons from my perspective.

Perspective matters.
Indeed perspective matters, I'm perfectly fine with other people feeling this is an impressive luxury hotel, but personally I just didn't feel that way. I don't believe I received any noticeable elite benefit for reference (other than presumably some extra points when the stay posts) which is probably part of the perception issue. I got the impression the hotel would rather focus on the tour groups / cruise ship market, which probably makes sense from a business perspective in a city like Prague but generally isn't what I'm looking for. I wasn't asked how my stay was on check out, which I find to typically be the case at hotels where I think there are a lot of little things wrong (presumably they just don't get the level of feedback to make the changes that hotels which routinely ask do).

I will say I think they must have improved breakfast from what has been posted before as that was actually quite impressive and easily the best bit of my stay (both food quality and service were very good).
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.