Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Palace Hotel, Moscow, Russian Federation [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Here's my review of the Sheraton Palace, Moscow:

I arrived into SVO at about 13:00, and was quickly through customs (perhaps too quickly). As I exited the sliding doors from the customs/immigration area, I did not see a driver waiting for me. This was a bit troubling, as I had paid a King's ransom to have the Sheraton send a car for me. Unfortunately, I had managed to leave my confirmation printout in the seat-back pocket of my inbound flight. I was eventually able to get the hotel's phone number from an Information Desk Agent in SVO (but it took a while). Upon calling the Sheraton, I was assured that the driver would be there shortly.

After about half an hour of waiting around, the Sheraton driver did indeed turn up. As we drove into Moscow, I discovered why it took him so long to get out to the airport (which is only 17mi. from the center of Moscow). It took us nearly two hours to get into Moscow, as we were stuck in the most horrendous traffic jam I have ever encountered. I had heard tales of Moscow traffic before traveling there, but had not fully comprehended just how bad it really was.

Thankfully, upon reaching the hotel, check-in was a breeze. After entering the building, one takes the elevator to the second floor, where check-in is located. The lovely check-in staff were pleasant and efficient, and had me all set in a matter of minutes. I was pleased to be informed that they had upgraded me to a Junior Suite.

The upgrade was a nice touch, but I found the rooms at this hotel to be very standard Sheraton fare. The hotel could have easily passed for a nondescript, midwestern Sheraton that had not been renovated since the early 90's. The rates, of course, couldn't be more different. Regardless, the room was clean and comfortable.

As one can see, the room was spacious, though not exceptionally well-appointed. I was far more impressed with the furnishings in my harbor-view room at the Sheraton Hong Kong (which I stayed at the following evening). Regardless, it was nice to have an SPG-earning option in Moscow; and as I was only in town for one evening, hotel quality was not a top priority. The corner Junior Suites provide a view of Tverskaya Yamskaya, a main thoroughfare that runs into the heart of Moscow (you can follow it all the way down to Red Square). If walking, it is about a 45-minute walk from the Hotel to Red Square.

View from Corner Junior Suite
Note the packed traffic on Tverskaya Yamskaya. The traffic was like this all day, and well into the late evening. Thankfully, traffic noise was not especially noticeable in my room. Do be sure to budget enough time to get to the airport from the hotel.

View from Corner Junior Suite

After taking a walk to Red Square to take some photos, I returned to the hotel cold, wet, and tired (from all the walking). I popped up to the club lounge to check it out before conking out for the evening. The lounge appeared to be newly refurbished (at least when compared to the rest of the hotel's common areas). By the time I arrived, happy hour had alread ended (5pm-7pm, IIRC). However, the serving staff were happy to provide me with a complimentary pot of green tea.

Overall, I was pleased with the hotel for the short stay that I had in Moscow. If I were looking to stay in town for a longer period, I think I might explore other options in town, especially given the rates that this property charges on weekdays.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
I would also add that I had intended this to be an embedded photo report, and followed all instructions for embedding photos in the Travel Photography Forum Sticky. Though it appears the TalkBoard voted to approve a Test of Embedded Photos in the SPG Forum, it does not appear to have worked.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:33 am

Hi, I am flying tomorrow to Moscow. Could you let me know the contact of the Mercedes driver? Thanks in advance
Old Oct 30, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Just got back from a stay at the Sheraton Moscow (first time in Moscow)
Spent 20k SPG points versus a 22,000 Ruble rate (start of the Moscow fashion show)

New lobby looks quite nice, albeit nothing too special. They have now moved onto Level 2, so temporary restaurants on Level 1. As SPG Gold got a Level 4 SPG floor room. Nothing too special, with some parts of the room looking well worn. Notably it did not have a flat-screen TV (first hotel room I have been in a while that did not). Bed was also somewhat lopsided

On the plus side - gym on the top floor is quite good, and a nice sauna/ whirlpool. New big TV has just been installed in the gym but the attendant didn't really know how to operate it and it appeared to have a different channel order to the room TVs.

Had flown into DME, caught the AeroExpress train (200 Rub) to Paveleckaja, and then taken the circle line to Bellorusskaja (19 Rub) - having arrived on a 6am flight from MAD and been warned about the time and cost of car transport.
Sheraton is about a 3 min walk from Bellorisskaja (or 6min if you come out the wrong station entrance). Also the square around the station is undergoing major reconstruction so it is a little difficult to orient yourself.

Hotel is two metro stops from the Kremlin, or a 30-min walk along a fairly uninspiring wide boulevard. Large supermarket about two blocks away. Certainly not as well positioned as the Ararat Park Hyatt, but decent nonetheless.

Spent a 2nd night at the nearby (Dinamo metro stop) Aerostar Hotel, a recently renovated 4-star hotel which priced out at 7,000 rubles (inc breakfast and taxes) - smallish but relatively well appointed rooms - all brand new furnishings and an LCD with a very quick interactive system.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 11:04 pm
BCH

It's true the hotel is undergoing renovation (I should know, I spent four months on-and-off there in 2008). As I understand from my conversations with customer relations folks, actual hotel rooms are going to be the last places to be renovated (public places are to be finished first).

But the staff is very competent and friendly, especially on the 7th floor (Club Level).

If you're flying in and want to take a taxi (Aeroexpress trains may be MUCH faster, depending on time of day), then use the airport taxi desk or see taxi company phone numbers in FlyerTalk's Russia Forum. Hotel's car service is about 3 times more expensive.

If you're looking for a Starwood property that's more grand and better located for tourist sites, then check out Hotel National.

Feel free to PM me with any questions about either hotel or Moscow.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:09 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Does anyone happen to know: if I book a stay at this or another Russian SPG property as a Plat, will they provide me with the 'invitation letter' for my visa along with the hotel reservation without charging me a fee for doing so, or should I just pony up the $30 to a visa processing service?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plt SPG Plt
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Does anyone happen to know: if I book a stay at this or another Russian SPG property as a Plat, will they provide me with the 'invitation letter' for my visa along with the hotel reservation without charging me a fee for doing so, or should I just pony up the $30 to a visa processing service?
They will provide it for the dates of your stay.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 1:23 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by PrezVander
They will provide it for the dates of your stay.
Argh, so if I plan on moving around I need one from each hotel in each city for the length of my stay?

I suppose I could just book a stay at one hotel then get the reservation printout and letter of invitation then cancel that reservation and make whatever proper plans I desire once I get the visa back....which I presume is EXACTLY what the visa services do...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
I recommend using a visa processing service for Russian travel. It is well worth the price. I like Russian National Group in New York. They charge $50, but it is well worth it.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 4:41 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Argh, so if I plan on moving around I need one from each hotel in each city for the length of my stay?

I suppose I could just book a stay at one hotel then get the reservation printout and letter of invitation then cancel that reservation and make whatever proper plans I desire once I get the visa back....which I presume is EXACTLY what the visa services do...
See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11418535-post9.html

Note that if you cancel the reservation entirely, the hotel will then apply a charge to the credit card, specified on the Visa Support request form (typically $100-$150 USD).
Old May 12, 2009, 6:40 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I am going to stay in Moscow for a few days next week. First time in Russia.
Is it fairly easy to navigate around Moscow with the subway system ?
Old May 12, 2009, 9:37 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
This property was very prompt and service-oriented in answering my visa questions and sending over the form. Good email responsiveness after a quick phone call.

However, they will only provide support for the days of the stay. This wasn't helpful for me, and so I am using this visa service, which is well regarded on the Russia forum, and makes it far easier to fill out the visa form than doing it on your own. Also, their prices are very competitive (best I have found).
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:21 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
We stayed here in July. Booked 4 nights. The first three were a "Buy 2 Get 3" promo, and the final night was BAR. The total for 4 nights came to ~$600 all-in, which is very good for Moscow. Frustratingly, I booked the 3nd night free promo BEFORE the details of FWN were announced. Otherwise, this would have been a great use of FWNs!

At check-in, we were upgraded to a room as describe earlier by FlyingRev: large full-suite (2 bathrooms, 1 bedroom, with a large door separating the bedroom from the tv room/sitting area).

This was a real blessing as I worked most nights taking calls in the Eastern US afternoon, and my wife was able to sleep soundly in the separate bedroom.

The lounge was a definite winner, especially given food and drink costs in Moscow.

The hotel itself is definitely dated in terms of furnishings and decor. But still clean and serviceable.

It is close enough to two different subway stations. If you are going, you should invest early in learning the subway system (not too hard) as it is phenomenal: extremely fast, frequent, cheap, clean and reliable... and many of the stations are like museums.

We arrived at the train station from St. Pete and were met by a driver arranged by our St. Pete B&B innkeeper. We paid 750 Rubles (~$25). We then used the same company for the return (since the Sheraton wanted to charge us a fortune) to SVO for 1150 Rubles (~$38). I don't have the company name at hand, but if you PM me, I can figure it out.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:01 am

Renovation of Rooms

Go easy on me--I'm not a frequent poster, but I get so much useful info from this site that I wanted to return the favor.

Here's a link to a web album with pics of the newly renovated rooms at the Sheraton Palace Hotel in Moscow, Russia.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mindyjos...eat=directlink

The lobby and 2nd floor have already undergone renovation, and are pretty much up to Sheraton standards. Smoking allowed, though.

The room renovations are ongoing, starting with the 7th floor (club floor) and working down. Even the club floor isn't quite finished yet--not all rooms are open and have guests. The club floor is, happily, a smoke-free floor.

Overall, the renovation is a HUGE improvement over the past rooms. Just a list of thoughts about them:

1. Entry way is really narrow. So narrow, that my room door barely clears the closet when I open it. I think I'm in the odd sized room on every floor of every hotel that is about 6 inches smaller than standard. Other renovated rooms have about that much more space in the entry way, which helps, but still is a bit narrow.

2. One king size bed is great, although not quite a sweet sleeper bed. Older rooms have the 2 beds pushed together to make one.

3. Bathroom is small, and the swinging door takes up too much space. For this size of bathroom, a sliding door would have worked much better. If you're in the bathroom, you pretty much have to shut the door to have any room to stand in front of the sink and get ready.

4. Flat screen TV is nice; selection of English channels is limited (but not bad for a foreign country).

Overall, though, I must say I am very pleased with the improvements, considering the older rooms. The decor is modern and nice. There's little things that could be improved, but then again, I think you can say that about most hotel rooms. Once it is complete, this property will be at the middle to high end of Sheraton standards.

I believe this renovation is scheduled to go through the end of 2010, but don't hold me to that.

Happy travels all!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone comment on the renovations here? Is this one of the nicer hotels in town? Does it have an executive lounge? What is the treatment (upgrades?) for Plats? Is it close to tourist sites?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.