FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Los Angeles Westwood 2007 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168638-w-los-angeles-westwood-2007-master-thread.html)

ac/elite Sep 2, 2015 11:11 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 25365632)
Any pictures?

No, unfortunately not.

fj58 Feb 4, 2016 2:32 pm

Any Updates?

Any recent stays / updates / gossip?

Is Westwood Village still a fun place to shop?

TIA

JVPhoto Feb 4, 2016 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by fj58 (Post 26134093)
Any recent stays / updates / gossip?

Is Westwood Village still a fun place to shop?

TIA

It's West Beverly Hills now!!!! Eyyyeeeeee roll.
The hotel is just fine, stayed there twice last year and possibly this April. I used to live in Westwood (and like to stay there) since it's in the middle between Santa Monica and WeHo.

stimpy Jul 29, 2016 9:45 am

Wow suite upgrade. ^

Steak at the new STK restaurant. ^

bhrubin Nov 18, 2016 7:33 pm

Nice suite stay and attentive service

Introduction I just spent 2 different nights on 2 different stays at the W Los Angeles-West Beverly Hills. (They really need to adjust the name here, even though it is located in Westwood!)My first stay was only myself on a Monday night for work. I was on a paid entry Wonderful Studio but was upgraded to a 2 bedroom Mega Suite...which was hilariously large but still lovely.My second stay was with my husband and our dog on the following Saturday night for leisure (we had a party in LA and didn't want to drive back home afterward to Newport). I was on a comp'd stay to make up for a stay a year ago, and was supposed to be in a Fantastic Suite. They ended up letting us review several suites, and we ultimately chose the coldest/best air con in the WOW Suite.Both stays were great, but not perfect. But this hotel has the perfect location and amenities for me in Los Angeles...and certainly has a team that tries very hard to please. Check In Check in for both stays took a little longer than I'd have expected--but there were 3 attendants at the 3 stations both times. It's just a very busy hotel, as you may imagine. I got early check-in at 2 pm for my first stay, and checked in around 3:30 pm for my second. People couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful...and they recognized me on the second stay. Room MEGA SUITE, Stay 1For my first stay, I was in a 2 bedroom Mega Suite (upgraded with my SNA). It was a very nice suite, but the second bedroom was a bit strange in that it had only the bed and a lamp and no other furnishings. Otherwise, it was a classic W suite.The living room was very spacious and nicely appointed in the W style.There was a little bar area near the entry.The bathroom was spacious and well appointed, but the tub was bit dingy in spots near the drain. A rarity in my experience with W.The "second" or spare bedroom had only a bed and a lamp, along with a closet. It was a strange room.The master bedroom was very spacious and well though out,actually. There also was plenty of closet space.The shutters did not provide complete black out for me, which I find annoying. Traffic noise was a bit of an issue but that didn't really wake me as much as the light bleed from the shutters.The air con never got the room below 69 F, but it was fine. I'd prefer it colder than that, but it is what it is. I asked for a fan, and they brough one quickly...and it really helped me be comfortable. I slept very well...only awakened by the annoying light bleed from the shutters.WOW Suite, Stay 2For my return with my husband and our big dog, the W kindly allowed us to inspect a few pre-air conditioned rooms. They took us first to a nice Fabulous Suite...but it wasn't particularly cold (71 F) and it was surprisingly dark (the windows looked out onto a small space and then another wing of the same buiding). Not appealing on any level, but would've sufficed other than the air con. They then took us to a beautiful two level "Presidential" suite, with a spiral staircase leading to the loft bedroom. The view from this suite was the best I'd seen at this property (it was the top floor). Unfortunately, our dog could never have navigated the spiral staircase...but the killer was the air con definitely not working well enough for me despite they having turned it on several hours in advance. It was 74 F when I inspected the room. Ultimately, they brought us back down to the room 615 WOW Suite. There wasn't much of a view, but we walked in and could tell it was substantially colder (69F). We asked for an engineer to help make it colder, and he came quickly and assured us it would get colder by night. (It did, getting down to 68 F, the coldest I've ever experienced at this hotel). We decided to stay in the WOW Suite.The WOW Suite actually reminded me of the Mega Suite, except that BOTH bedrooms were wonderful, and there were 2 full bathrooms. We actually used the "second" bedroom with the less appealing bathroom since it got the coldest! The living room was very spacious and looks better appointed in the photos...but I concede to being a little underwhelmed with this particular WOW Suite decor. There was a separate dining table area, but the space was too tight for the table and 6 chairs they tried to squeeze in.There was a bar area with refrigerator and dishware/silverware for dining.The main bathroom was spacious and was about as nice as the bathroom I had in the Mega Suite. It doubled as the bathroom for the "main" bedroom, as well.The "main" bedroom was at the end of the hall. It was a spacious room, not quite as spacious as the main bedroom in the Mega Suite, though. The only closet was in this bedroom, so my husband used it.On the othe side of the hallway end was a very comfy looking office/study. We never spent any time in here, and we can't imagine who would unless staying for an extended period and needing a proper office, perhaps. But the lighting wasn't so good, so I doubt it could be effective.Towards the entry end of the suite, was the "second" bedroom,which we used since it was the coldest room in the suite. The bedroom wasn't as spacious as the main bedroon, but it was more than sufficient.There was a doorway into the smaller bath, which was oddly laid out with a single vanity and the toilet/shower area. Again, the shutters didn't provide complete black out even in the WOW Suite--a no, no, if you ask me, for any luxury level hotel. They brought a fan for me again so I could be sure to be cool enough...but I didn't even use it that night. Service Service was very good. While there may be a few issues with the hard product because the building is an older conversion, the service was very good all-around. Everyone was helpful, friendly, and trying to please. I'd say the only service miscue was not showing us the coldest suite from the start.Again, I find this hotel service to be very good. Dining I ordered room service for breakfast on my first stay, and we ordered room service for dinner on our second stay. Room service was fantastic--delicious and prompt in all cases.I had dinner with friends on my first stay at STK, and we had a fabulous meal. I've never had a bad steak dinner at this STK, to be honest.We had Sunday brunch for our second stay at the open air Backyard restaurant on Sunday with my cousin and her boyfriend. It was unusually hot, but I still survived. There were umbrellas to provide sun protection--a big help! Food was very good, though service was a bit slow. Still we all enjoyed the classic outdoor LA restaurant experience, even if it was warmer than usual.All in all, dining at the W is great. THE BARWe had drinks at the bar before heading to our party. As expected, it's a very cool bar area:That's actually a celebrity (unnamed) at the closer end of the bar. I ended up striking up a chat with him, and he couldn't have been friendlier. I told him I'd have flirted more if I had any though the might not be straight, and he laughed endlessly. Good sense of humor and a very nice fellow. You never know who you'll meet at a W, especially in this part of town! Location I find this location to be spectacular for my needs. My client is in Westwood, and other clients are in nearby Santa Monica/Brentwood. The party we attended was in West Hollywood, which turned out to be a 10 min $8 Uber ride each way. The Westwood village has tons of options for food, bars, clubs, grocery stores, drug stores, etc. UCLA is literally a block away. Freeway access is also very nice. The 405 is just 5-10 min. Overall Overall, even with the continuing air con challenge I have (that most others will not) and the lack of proper black out shades, I continue to really like this property. The service and food and location are almost perfect for me. I now know to specify a certain room or two to get better air con...and I will probably bring up the black out issue before my next booking. Otherwise, the team couldn't be nicer and more helpful...and that level of service goes a long way for me/us.

Giroud Mar 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Since this is an all-suite property, any point in using a suite upgrade here over the weekend?
also - is there cheaper parking option available near the hotel over the weekend?

Thanks!

stimpy Mar 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Giroud (Post 28068413)
Since this is an all-suite property, any point in using a suite upgrade here over the weekend?
also - is there cheaper parking option available near the hotel over the weekend?

It is not an all-suite property. See http://www.wlosangeles.com/en/rooms

And there are a good many posts earlier in this thread and the previous thread asking the same parking question. The answer is no, unless you want to walk very far. You are highly likely to get a more expensive ticket if you try street parking.

KENNECTED Mar 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 28068431)
It is not an all-suite property. See http://www.wlosangeles.com/en/rooms

And there are a good many posts earlier in this thread and the previous thread asking the same parking question. The answer is no, unless you want to walk very far. You are highly likely to get a more expensive ticket if you try street parking.

The majority of rooms are suites. I've never been in a non suite room at this property.

Parking on street is times IIRC, but there is a parking deck on the corner (Weyburn), you might want to compare prices. There is another deck on Glendon with IIRC is 5/6 bucks.

MilesTalk Mar 21, 2017 5:37 pm

There's no need to park with the hotel for their exorbitant prices. There is a lot very nearby for $10 or less a day. You can also walk into Westwood Village which has any supplies you might need (Target, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Starbucks, Coffee Bean, an indie coffee shop, a couple of bars though bars are scarce in Westwood, and a fair bit of shopping.

I spend winters around the corner from this hotel and the location is perfect both because of the walkability of the village and the central location of Westwood - a 15 min drive to beach in Santa Monica, 15 mins to Beverly Hills, 20 mins to West Hollywood, 20 mins to downtown (not in rush hour!). You are centrally located near the 405 and the 10 (freeways).

Nightlife is the only thing missing in Westwood. The W bar itself can get hopping on weekends, though.

Travelchurner Mar 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Mixed reviews on this property. Staying here in two weeks.
Any chance at a suite with Gold status?

KENNECTED Mar 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 28077262)
Mixed reviews on this property. Staying here in two weeks.
Any chance at a suite with Gold status?

You, this is nearly an all suite property. You could/should get a smaller fantastic suite on a lower floor or facing Le Conte.

Giroud Mar 27, 2017 3:07 pm

Just finished a one night stay. Had applied a SNA and upgraded to Mega-suite at check in. Plenty of free street parking during the weekend. Like the room but the pool was still a little cold. Plat breakfast was $20 pp towards anything off the menu. Would return if same upgrade would be provided.

Travelchurner Mar 29, 2017 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Giroud (Post 28094044)
Just finished a one night stay. Had applied a SNA and upgraded to Mega-suite at check in. Plenty of free street parking during the weekend. Like the room but the pool was still a little cold. Plat breakfast was $20 pp towards anything off the menu. Would return if same upgrade would be provided.

Thanks, this is helpful.

For the free weekend street parking, how much of a walk is it from the hotel?

Giroud Mar 29, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 28102189)
Thanks, this is helpful.

For the free weekend street parking, how much of a walk is it from the hotel?

Depends on your luck they can be very close. just to be clear it's free from 8pm - 11am Sat-Sun.

Travelchurner Apr 10, 2017 11:05 am

Was not upgraded at check in, but Standard room was very large. Furnishings new/good. Parking was abundant on the weekend, no need for valet.

Hotel bar was overpriced.

STK was excellent, as expected for the price, but not mindblowing.

KENNECTED Apr 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Travelchurner (Post 28154934)
Was not upgraded at check in, but Standard room was very large. Furnishings new/good. Parking was abundant on the weekend, no need for valet.

Hotel bar was overpriced.

STK was excellent, as expected for the price, but not mindblowing.

All the rooms are pretty spacious. Pictures?

Eupatoria Apr 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 28155529)
All the rooms are pretty spacious. Pictures?

I have seen a non-suite room, and it was pretty large.

I have been upgraded to a suite every time I have been there. I am Platinum; a Gold colleague also got upgraded every time he checked in. Last time, they gave me a suite with two full bedrooms -- which was quite entertaining for a lone female business traveler checking in at 10pm for one night without any luggage. My laptop bag had its own bed that night.

I think this hotel is great for (bachelor/ette) parties and for when one travels with an entourage. I would rather have a nice, comfortable room with actual outlets next to the bed, which this hotel doesn't have.

Someone I know swears he was given a two-story room with a staircase in it as an upgrade, but I have never seen pictures of that.

schley Apr 22, 2017 1:56 am

Had some friends visit the UCLA Hospital which is world renowned as you know and used this property as a base. The UCLA hospital will arrange transport to and from your local hotel usually without a cost I was told as they are international patients. Unfortunate to have to be there for those reasons but reported a good stay without using the bar, but commented breakfast was good but expensive (it's westwood 5 star hotel so yes).

Amex For Children Of Africa Apr 22, 2017 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Eupatoria (Post 28212951)
I have seen a non-suite room, and it was pretty large.

I have been upgraded to a suite every time I have been there. I am Platinum; a Gold colleague also got upgraded every time he checked in. Last time, they gave me a suite with two full bedrooms -- which was quite entertaining for a lone female business traveler checking in at 10pm for one night without any luggage. My laptop bag had its own bed that night.

I think this hotel is great for (bachelor/ette) parties and for when one travels with an entourage. I would rather have a nice, comfortable room with actual outlets next to the bed, which this hotel doesn't have.

Someone I know swears he was given a two-story room with a staircase in it as an upgrade, but I have never seen pictures of that.

Last year I was upgraded to the room with the spiral staircase! Have to say it was pretty impressive. My recent stay we also got upgraded to a 2br suite, and it was nice to have a bedroom for just luggage ;)

Eupatoria Apr 23, 2017 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa (Post 28214781)
Last year I was upgraded to the room with the spiral staircase! Have to say it was pretty impressive. My recent stay we also got upgraded to a 2br suite, and it was nice to have a bedroom for just luggage ;)

Ha -- so it's not just an urban legend consultants tell each other! Was it a two-storey room?

I like being upgraded to a suite when traveling with my spouse, in case one of us wants to stay up later than the other. Two bedrooms just seems excessive, but I guess they have a lot of those at that W. I will say that the suites are not enough to really make me stay there, I only go there when it's last-minute and my preferred hotel is sold out.

sfozrhfco May 9, 2017 6:46 am

This hotel has a lot of potential. The location is great and the room remodel went well. Service is a bit lacking. Y24 was approved and even after arriving 45 minutes after the requested time, the room was not ready. Was told that an approved Y24 is only a request. If they are full the night before, it won't be honored and is treated as a request. Why approve it, if it won't be honored?

i suspect the issue was they wanted to give me a better room but giving false information as to how the Y24 program works was a bit annoying. I was fine with the waiting and check in process up until then but dislike being given false information.

Ended up getting a different room about 1 1/2 hours after the requested time.

Then requested either a coffee maker or tea kettle with a mug. Whatever/whenever said in room dining would bring it. They said housekeeping would bring it. Nobody came. Had to call again and finally received the tea kettle over an hour later with no mug. Then ended up getting a paper cup.

Not big issues but went from an excellent stay to one that was a bit less so.

helvetic Oct 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 24901535)
The hotel industry is full of such names. It's worse in Europe. But in LA, of course we also have the Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles At Beverly Hills which is actually in Los Angeles and not BH. I think it used to be called the FS Beverly Hills, but was forced to change to the above title.

You mean like how they call BUR Burbank airport the "Hollywood International Airport" where the only true word in that name is "airport."

I'm staying at this property tomorrow. A bit annoyed because I'm stuck with an expensive nonrefundable rate because I screwed up the BRG by being 23h from "standard checkin time" at submission.

bhrubin Oct 12, 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 28287683)
This hotel has a lot of potential. The location is great and the room remodel went well. Service is a bit lacking. Y24 was approved and even after arriving 45 minutes after the requested time, the room was not ready. Was told that an approved Y24 is only a request. If they are full the night before, it won't be honored and is treated as a request. Why approve it, if it won't be honored?

i suspect the issue was they wanted to give me a better room but giving false information as to how the Y24 program works was a bit annoying. I was fine with the waiting and check in process up until then but dislike being given false information.

Ended up getting a different room about 1 1/2 hours after the requested time.

Then requested either a coffee maker or tea kettle with a mug. Whatever/whenever said in room dining would bring it. They said housekeeping would bring it. Nobody came. Had to call again and finally received the tea kettle over an hour later with no mug. Then ended up getting a paper cup.

Not big issues but went from an excellent stay to one that was a bit less so.

Agreed. I've not had those issues and have had very good service here...but you clearly didn't get that same level of service for this stay.

bhrubin Nov 8, 2017 12:01 pm

On my 3rd day into my 3 night stay, and I have to say that despite a very rough start on my first night, my stay has been pretty great since.

Arrived and had to wait 20 min despite Your24 confirmed for before my arrival, a little disheartening.

Tried to call valet for my car pick up, then Whatever/Whenever, and then the operator...but after 25+ rings on a few tries each, I finally had to go down and ask in person. I was fairly annoyed.

Had air con issues to start in upgraded Fabulous Suite, despite me confirmed a week prior that the air con would be preset and in great working order. After returning to hotel on first night, they moved me to a new suite they said was below 66 F—which was 72 F when we entered. It was a disaster, so I went back to my original suite. Finally, at 10:30 pm or so, an engineer properly fixed both bedroom and living room air con units so they eventually cooled to lower than 70 F. Awoke next morning and bedroom was actually 65 F!

Since then, the only thing that has gone awry was the air con once—the living room air con seemed to reset to 70 F yesterday, but an engineer came promptly while I was at dinner. I returned to it being 67 F. Success!

Service since has been flawless. Food and beverage has been fabulous. Everyone knows me by name and has been incredibly apologetic for the first night mishaps.

If this hotel could only get its hard product in proper working order...and then follow through service-wise as well as it’s obviously capable of doing, this would be a fantastic W and one of the best. I still love this hotel...but its air con issues do give me pause.

bhrubin Nov 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Incredibly amazing stay with fabulous service even after a rough air con start

Introduction I just returned from another 3 night work stay at the W Los Angeles in Westwood. This will have been my 4th stay in the last 18 mos. I previously reviewed our leisure stay in a Wow Suite in Nov 2016.i absolutely love almost everyuthg about this W. Its location is superb for almost all of my client meetings in Los Angeles. Its rooms are all extremely spacious, and its suites are extremely spacious. The food and beverage are always fantastic, and the service is almost always very good. In addition, since I drive up from my home in Orange County, I can drive my Tesla and have the hotel charge my car every evening free of charge—a very nice perk. My biggest challenge here has always been the air conditioning. For most, I’m sure it’s more than sufficient. For me, the owner really needs to invest in new HVAC units that reliably can cool in all the rooms and suite to temperatures closer to 65 F. Despite a rough start due to an air con fail, I had an exceptionally good stay again. Despite the rough start and my air con concerns, I confess to stil loving this hotel. They really do try so hard to take such good care of me—even when things go awry. They upgraded me to a Fabulous Suite even though I’d insisted it wasn’t necessary. They offered other suites when I had issues. They really do try hard to please. Check In Check in was a little disappointing. I’d had confirmed a Your24 early check in at 2:00 pm, on,y to arrive around 2:15 pm to discover the room wasn’t ready. I’d contacted the Guest Relations Manager a week before my visit to ensure there were no air con issues in my room, that I didn’t need a suite, and to ask for my room to be pre-cooled to 67 F so I’d know on arrival that I would be set. That didn’t happen. Still, the attendant was very nice and friendly and offered me a free drink at the outdoor restaurant/Lounge. Too hot and sunny for me, unfortunately! After only another 15-20 min, she came to find me and had the keys for my upgraded suite. So disappointing start, but nothing too big. Room Despite insisting I didn’t need a suite, I assumed they had determined the air con would be best in this particular suite. Unfortunately, that was not the case, Still. I do love the Fabulous Suite—even if the second bedroom and even the living room are a bit superfluous when I’m traveling alone. I had a Fabulous Suite a year ago for my work trip, though I’m not sure on which floor. The living room is very spacious, comfortable, and has a lot of natural light. No real view, but it’s Westwood!I took my room service breakfast every morning on the glass desk. Otherwise, I rarely was in the living room on this trip.The mini-bar and refrigerator has lots of snacks and drinks, all for a price, of course. The bath was pretty spacious....though I wish it had a proper walk in shower rather than the tub:The bedroom is spacious, comfortable, chic, and yet simple...and with plenty of natural light, as well.There was plenty of storage, too.Plenty of plugs by each side of the bed. Easy to find switches to turn on and off the various lights. All in all, a very well designed room.The second bedroom is pretty spartan but offered a comfortable drop down bed (already down on my arrival) with plenty of storage in the wardrobe. Service Service overall was truly outstanding. I had a rough start, though.As mentioned previously. I did email the Guest Relations Manager to make sure my room was well air conditioned and pre-cooled to 67 F for my arrival. That didn’t happen. Or it happened and the air con played tricks on their staff.i arrived to realize they had just turned on the air con. Since it was about 69 F outside, it was obvious that the ore-cooling hadn’t happened or that the air con might not work. After about an hour and no real change, I contacted Whatever/Whenever. After leaving and coming back, they offered me another Fabulous Suite they insisted had cooled to 67 F...but it was at 72 F when we went to check. So I returned to my original Suite, and I was pretty upset. Eventually, at 10:30 pm, their engineer. Gary, came up and did something...and I barely had any air con issues again. Within another hour, the bedroom was at 69 F and cooling and the living room was at 68 F and cooling. I awoke and my bedroom was at 66 F. I was in heaven.During that first day, I also had called Whatever/Whenever and the valet number to get my car...and after 25+ rings, I gave up and went down to the lobby. They obviously were manning the phones,so I’m not sure what went wrong. After that crazy start, though, my stay was absolutely flawless. I never had any other issues with reaching Whatever/Whenever. The team checked on me a few times throughout my stay to make sure the air con continued to work. When the living room unit seemed to have an issue, an engineer came up while I was out and I always returned to a very cool room. The team brought me extra water. The many room service orders were perfect and delivered promptly. The bar staff was fabulous. The STK restaurant staff was fabulous. The valets always had my car ready and waiting whenever I asked for it. They also charged my Tesla whenever I asked, so I always had a fully charged Tesla ready to go. The service really was tremendous. I was so impressed I called the GM to thank him and the team—and especially Gary—for helping to make it so great. I also apologized for getting so angry when the air con didn’t work that first day—and everyone acknowledge I had tried to deal with that a week in advance and didn’t need to apologize. Extreme graciousness all around.In a word: give them a chance. They really can provide amazing service here. Dining The dining here was amazing. First, room service breakfast was always extremely prompt and always got my detailed orders right. They even began to anticipate what I’d need for my final mornings. I always ask for hot milk and they always delivered. The food was also delicious. Dining at STK was also fantastic—even better than last year’s wonderful dinner, Forgive the chic lighting, as I don’t like to use flash and annoy others when I can avoid it.The bread was crazy good.Our appetizers were divine.The steaks were even more divine.We so enjoyed the meal that we had to try dessert. We couldn’t decide between two, so our server comp’d us two and got us three darn desserts. His suggestions were the best.Our server was incredible. A great and funny guy. We had a fabulous time with him, and we were so grateful for his suggestions.An amazing Food and Beverage experience. I was even willing to dine at STK again the next night, but my clients weren’t as fond of steaks. Location As I mentioned before, I find this W Westwood location to be almost perfect. It is located very close to my clients in Brentwood, Santa Monica, Westwood, West Hollywood, and even Hollywood. It was only 20-30 min to Eagle Rock during the day, and only 25 min from Pasadena in the evening. It’s also an easy hour or so drive from my home in Orange County. Overall I always say that amazing service can really turn around a stay. That’s what happened for this stay (and so many others) here at the W Los Angeles/West Beverly Hills. (A mouthful to be sure!) but the team really went out of its way for me, even after I get so upset with the air con not working as well as I was promised. But then everyone really took care of me. Everyone knew me by name. Everyone was friendly. Everyone was really trying hard to make sure I had whatever I needed. And the whole rest of my stay was bliss.i had some problems. But I continue to love this hotel. I just want them to get more reliable air con so I never have any issues there again!

helvetic Nov 11, 2017 2:11 am

I'm currently at the W Westwood again. I must say, I quite like it here. Overall great value and great location. The breakfast is a bit meager and the hard product is definitely working with a meh building. But they have so many suites and have always treated me well. I'm defintiely making this a go-to.

schley Nov 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I remember when I was coaching at UCLA in the winter of 98 I believe and we used this property for recruits. It was the Westwood Marquis then and our basketball coaches had Carlos Boozer in visiting from Alaska that same weekend. I had to drop off a couple recruits after dinner at the Planet Hollywood we used to use and was around 11 pm. He was just going out for the night with a couple ladies as a recruit! .......)

EuropeanPete Nov 11, 2017 1:27 pm

@bhrubin, I wouldn’f Complain about your amenity - I got a bottle of Evian and a granola bar ;)

bhrubin Nov 11, 2017 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 29048732)
@bhrubin, I wouldn’f Complain about your amenity - I got a bottle of Evian and a granola bar ;)

Normally, I could care less about the amenity, but after that air con debacle they should have offered something a bit more generous. :p

sfozrhfco Nov 11, 2017 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 29048732)

Yeah, I always tell them no thanks when it is delivered.

helvetic Nov 12, 2017 4:04 pm

I got a bottle of SmartWater and a packaged smore bar.

Also, this is my second stay here but the first time using the breakfast. What a weak implementation of the benefit. The foot options aren't particularly good (mediocre "full" breakfast, mediocre breakfast potatoes, mediocre salmon bagel, horrible breakfast burrito). The only thing I enjoyed was the delicious Huevos Racheros.

But my biggest beef with the breakfast is that it's implemented as a $20 credit per person, which isn't enough to order ANYTHING on the menu. Most of the dishes are $22+ ($28 for an egg white omelet!?), coffee is $6, and throw in 25%+ for tax and tip, and you're already looking at over double your credit.

It's a joke, and I stopped by the front desk to share my thoughts on it—only to be told that there was nothing they could do. The front desk agent seemed surprised when I mentioned that Hyatt guarantees a full breakfast and most other SPGs have a much more generous implementation of the benefit. (W Boston / W Bellevue / W Amsterdam have no limit, for example.)

bhrubin Nov 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 29052855)
I got a bottle of SmartWater and a packaged smore bar.

Also, this is my second stay here but the first time using the breakfast. What a weak implementation of the benefit. The foot options aren't particularly good (mediocre "full" breakfast, mediocre breakfast potatoes, mediocre salmon bagel, horrible breakfast burrito). The only thing I enjoyed was the delicious Huevos Racheros.

But my biggest beef with the breakfast is that it's implemented as a $20 credit per person, which isn't enough to order ANYTHING on the menu. Most of the dishes are $22+ ($28 for an egg white omelet!?), coffee is $6, and throw in 25%+ for tax and tip, and you're already looking at over double your credit.

It's a joke, and I stopped by the front desk to share my thoughts on it—only to be told that there was nothing they could do. The front desk agent seemed surprised when I mentioned that Hyatt guarantees a full breakfast and most other SPGs have a much more generous implementation of the benefit. (W Boston / W Bellevue / W Amsterdam have no limit, for example.)

Your issue is with the execution of the exact Platinum benefit rather than the restaurant quality or the hotel. I understand, but the distinction is important, I think. This is about a Platinum benefit issue, not with the hotel or restaurant.

The W is executing the mimimal benefit required by SPG for Platinum guests. I agree that there are many Ws that offer more, but that’s the way it goes.

As I only order room service at most SPG properties when traveling alone, this is a non-issue for me.

helvetic Nov 12, 2017 4:25 pm

I don't imagine you get your room service comp'd by the breakfast benefit.

You're right, there are two issues here:

1) The restaurant quality. Food is mediocre and overpriced.

2) This W's implementation of the SPG benefit. Yes, they follow the strictest terms of the benefit if you choose the continental spread and decline to tip. But that's the lowest lowest standard they could do. And in the competitive landscape of how they implement the benefit, they are among the worst. Few SPG hotels have such a weak complimentary Platinum breakfast.

I think my criticism of their implementation of the SPG benefit is entirely valid.

bhrubin Nov 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 29052907)
I don't imagine you get your room service comp'd by the breakfast benefit.

You're right, there are two issues here:

1) The restaurant quality. Food is mediocre and overpriced.

2) This W's implementation of the SPG benefit. Yes, they follow the strictest terms of the benefit if you choose the continental spread and decline to tip. But that's the lowest lowest standard they could do. And in the competitive landscape of how they implement the benefit, they are among the worst. Few SPG hotels have such a weak complimentary Platinum breakfast.

I think my criticism of their implementation of the SPG benefit is entirely valid.

I absolutely agree that the W’s breakfast benefit is among the weakest in the luxury group, and that your criticism of that is perfectly fair. I just don’t care much about that. No, they don’t extend the credit for room service, either. The Prince de Galles also had a weak breakfast benefit comparable to this W.

But I judge the hotels, not the breakfast benefit. To each, their own.

However. I’m afraid that I don’t agree with your assessment about the restaurant quality or prices, I’m sorry to say. It’s Los Angeles, where prices are high, the Ws not any higher than anywhere else comparable (or even less nice). My room service orders were between $32-38 as evidenced by my photos, and that’s pretty reasonable considering what can be charged at other big city hotels. And my food every morning was outstanding. My food at STK was incredible. My food at the poolside brunch restaurant last year with my husband and friends also was outstanding.

helvetic Nov 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29052925)
I absolutely agree that the W’s breakfast benefit is among the weakest in the luxury group, and that your criticism of that is perfectly fair. I just don’t care much about that. No, they don’t extend the credit for room service, either. The Prince de Galles also had a weak breakfast benefit comparable to this W.

But I judge the hotels, not the breakfast benefit. To each, their own.

However. I’m afraid that I don’t agree with your assessment about the restaurant quality or prices, I’m sorry to say. It’s Los Angeles, where prices are high, the Ws not any higher than anywhere else comparable (or even less nice). My room service orders were between $32-38 as evidenced by my photos, and that’s pretty reasonable considering what can be charged at other big city hotels. And my food every morning was outstanding. My food at STK was incredible. My food at the poolside brunch restaurant last year with my husband and friends also was outstanding.

I have only eaten at the poolside restaurant for breakfast (the Hideout), but as a quick example of what I mean re: food quality, here is a comparison of 3 versions of the same dish in the past week at the W Boston, Hyatt Centric NYC, and here:

W Boston

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530369.png

Hyatt Centric NYC

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530401.png

W Westwood

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530543.png

My salmon had a giant bone in it, the bagel was pre-assembled and the ingredients were obviously lower quality. The W Boston version of the dish was fantastic, the Hyatt Centric was good, this was poor.

The other items were similarly mediocre. All except the Huevos Racheros which was truly great. But out of the entire menu, there is one good dish.

Also, re: prices… yes, LA is expensive, but it's not $28-an-omelet expensive. $12 a smoothie and $6 a cup of mass-brewed-coffee is absurd. I'm okay paying $6 for a premium single-bean pour over at an artisan roastery. I'm not okay paying $6 for a tiny cup of lukeworm drip junk diner-style.

bhrubin Nov 12, 2017 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 29052967)
I have only eaten at the poolside restaurant for breakfast (the Hideout), but as a quick example of what I mean re: food quality, here is a comparison of 3 versions of the same dish in the past week at the W Boston, Hyatt Centric NYC, and here:

W Boston

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530369.png

Hyatt Centric NYC

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530401.png

W Westwood

http://akhun.com/seo/img-1510530543.png

My salmon had a giant bone in it, the bagel was pre-assembled and the ingredients were obviously lower quality. The W Boston version of the dish was fantastic, the Hyatt Centric was good, this was poor.

The other items were similarly mediocre. All except the Huevos Racheros which was truly great. But out of the entire menu, there is one good dish.

Also, re: prices… yes, LA is expensive, but it's not $28-an-omelet expensive. $12 a smoothie and $6 a cup of mass-brewed-coffee is absurd. I'm okay paying $6 for a premium single-bean pour over at an artisan roastery. I'm not okay paying $6 for a tiny cup of lukeworm drip junk diner-style.

I can only say that I had a terribly overcooked chocolate lava cake at the W Boston—with no lava. It was a poor meal at a hotel that perhaps otherwise is good. You love the W Boston and never had a poor meal. I like the W Los Angeles and have never had a poor meal. Sounds like poor incidents can happen at both.

If you didn’t like your salmon dish, I’d say you should have asked for another. If you did and they didn’t bring that or served another that disappointed you, I concede. If you didn’t complain and/or ask for another, then I’m sorry to say that complaining only after the fact is not something I endorse. To me, that enables the bad behavior about which so many complain.

My custom egg white omelette was $22. That’s pretty fair for LA. Since a cappacino was $8 and a small pot of coffee was only $7, I ordered the small pot. It was always hot and very good for me. My Eggs Benedict also was fantastic ($18 or $20, I think).

We will have to agree to disagree. I think the food and beverage at the W Los Angeles was fantastic. Sorry.

dolceguess4 Feb 6, 2018 12:37 am

Platinum benefits

What breakfast do they offer to platinum lately?
Are they also generous with platinum suite upgrade?

UA-NYC Feb 6, 2018 6:20 am

Originally Posted by dolceguess4 (Post 29384630)
What breakfast do they offer to platinum lately?
Are they also generous with platinum suite upgrade?

I haven't taken the Plat breakfast, but I get a suite there every time, usually one of the 2BR room ones. They are plentiful.

brokenwindow May 7, 2018 11:48 am

Any recent experiences from W "Beverly Hills"? I realise that it's not actually in Beverly Hills but wondering what the hotel is like otherwise. People on Tripadvisor seem to have very mixed reviews. I'm a SPG Plat if it matters. We have a good rate $199+tax which feels like a good deal for a W.

helvetic May 7, 2018 7:24 pm

It's pretty good. The hotel is all-suites. Come in with medium-to-low expectations and you'll be pleasantly surprised.