FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Los Angeles Westwood 2007 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168638-w-los-angeles-westwood-2007-master-thread.html)

Jim90068 Oct 17, 2012 1:46 pm

W - Westwood - UCLA

Originally Posted by Alpha (Post 16382068)
Update:

The building is bizzare- all concrete with small windows. It's very Soviet looking. They were having serious issues with the elevators, unfortunately. I was upgraded to a spectacular suite on the 12th floor. I almost wish I'd been on a lower floor because of the elevator problems. At one point I got on the elevator and I guess it was the only one running- it stopped at every single floor for people to get on.

This was built as a dorm for UCLA back in the concrete era late 1960's early 1970's. The number of elevators provided not intended for constant use as in a hotel. Prior to being acquired by Starwood and converted to a W, it was the Westwood Marquis Hotel, primarily known for it's event and dining rooms, and lavish Sunday brunches.

DJMeatBall Nov 10, 2012 12:21 pm

I'm staying at this W at the moment. A couple "F.Y.I." things here:

1) I paid a bit more for the "breakfast included" rate, but it turns out the breakfast that's included is a "continental breakfast" which is only worth $12.50 per person, while the cooked-to-order items on the menu start at $13… and averaging around $18. If you do end up using the $12.50 per person credit, you'll get slapped with an unexpected and not pre-disclosed mandatory 18% gratuity fee, too.

2) Valet parking is still a steep $35 per night.

3) For an "all suite" hotel, the "Wonderful Rooms" (the ones across from the elevator entrances) are way dinky and cramped. They certainly aren't suites (the only door inside the room is the sliding frosted glass one for the bathroom).

sfozrhfco Nov 10, 2012 8:19 pm

Well to be fair, it has never been sold as an all suite hotel and the wonderful rooms are called studios and not suites.

Continental breakfast is by definition uncooked and they are fairly generous in giving 5 items plus a drink which is not bad.

There are plenty of places to get a cheap breakfast in Westwood if you want something cooked.

DJMeatBall Nov 10, 2012 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 19661818)
Continental breakfast is by definition uncooked and they are fairly generous in giving 5 items plus a drink which is not bad.

My point was that there are rates currently being advertised at this W as "breakfast packages" which end up being mere "continental breakfasts" once you drill down into the package fine print "terms & conditions". And when the difference between rates is higher than the vouchers are actually worth, guests can feel justifiably feel somewhat ripped off for what should be defined as bait-and-switch marketing.

Bleh. I guess I'll have to study the rate terms & conditions even more carefully before and after doing my bookings at this point.

francophile Nov 11, 2012 1:00 pm

The breakfast pastries served at this hotel are very sad. Better to just walk to Corner Bakery located just 3 blocks away on Westwood.

cphurley Dec 9, 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Jim90068 (Post 19514775)
This was built as a dorm for UCLA back in the concrete era late 1960's early 1970's. The number of elevators provided not intended for constant use as in a hotel. Prior to being acquired by Starwood and converted to a W, it was the Westwood Marquis Hotel, primarily known for it's event and dining rooms, and lavish Sunday brunches.

That explains a lot... I've stayed there 4 times in the past month or so and the elevators have been bad but not awful. Annoying at times to stand around and wait 1-2 minutes for an elevator to come and a few times having them be 100% full.

They have been good with upgrades though - have gotten a Spectacular Suites 3 of 4 times.

sfozrhfco Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Platinum breakfast has been changed here. Now only three items plus drinks from the take away "bar" are allowed. No $ credit to purchase anything from the menu. You can choose 3 from the following: fruit, granola with yoghurt, yoghurt, or pastries.

WScottsdaleInsider Oct 2, 2013 11:08 am

Is there a reason why Suite Night Awards are not allowed at this property? Am I missing something?

KENNECTED Oct 2, 2013 11:42 am

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider (Post 21541824)
Is there a reason why Suite Night Awards are not allowed at this property? Am I missing something?

Maybe because it's an ALL SUITE property.:p he he I couldn't tell you.

Honestly, I think using a SNA award is a waste here as the suites are pretty big and as a Platinum, you'll most likely get a corner suite with office.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3a3435a2.jpg

tflyer79 Oct 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by francophile (Post 19664755)
The breakfast pastries served at this hotel are very sad. Better to just walk to Corner Bakery located just 3 blocks away on Westwood.

Better yet, walk to Le Pain Quotidien!

tflyer79 Oct 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by cphurley (Post 19823082)
That explains a lot... I've stayed there 4 times in the past month or so and the elevators have been bad but not awful. Annoying at times to stand around and wait 1-2 minutes for an elevator to come and a few times having them be 100% full.

They have been good with upgrades though - have gotten a Spectacular Suites 3 of 4 times.

Agree on the upgrades - I stayed here over 100 nights in 2012, got upgraded almost every night once I hit platinum 75. Sometimes the elevators are terrible, other times they are ok. The worst is when they require you to insert your key card into a slot to access the rooms (and sometimes they require it, other times they don't). Those key card readers never work correctly.

nologic Oct 16, 2013 6:17 am

One of the great things about this hotel is its proximity to so many terrific places (restaurants, froyo, markets, alternative parking, stores...).

KENNECTED Oct 16, 2013 6:20 am

Originally Posted by nologic (Post 21616035)
One of the great things about this hotel is its proximity to so many terrific places (restaurants, froyo, markets, alternative parking, stores...).

One of them being my ultimate favorite. Stans donuts.

BobbySteel Oct 16, 2013 10:18 am

Parking rates are exorbitant here. I parked on a side street and just moved the car at 8am.

crazypalooza Feb 16, 2014 12:53 am

any current update on how the breakfast amenity is being honored? Do they have cereal as an option? is it self serve or pick 3 etc right now?

heakja Apr 23, 2014 3:38 am

Originally Posted by crazypalooza (Post 22357130)
any current update on how the breakfast amenity is being honored? Do they have cereal as an option? is it self serve or pick 3 etc right now?

I wonder about the breakfast too.

Plus: Can anyone comment upon what room/suite numbers or location that are the absolutley most quiet? We are planning to stay here after a long journey from Europe. (I read something about church bells nearby going off every hour or so at tripadvisor - and being a light sleeper, I got REALLY worried).

sinfonia Apr 23, 2014 7:36 am

Originally Posted by heakja (Post 22746484)

Plus: Can anyone comment upon what room/suite numbers or location that are the absolutley most quiet? We are planning to stay here after a long journey from Europe. (I read something about church bells nearby going off every hour or so at tripadvisor - and being a light sleeper, I got REALLY worried).

I can't comment on which room/suite numbers will be the most quiet. However, I can assure you that the church bells ring only during the day. The church bells from Westwood Hills Christian Church, which is kitty-corner to the hotel from the front, begin ringing every hour on the hour at either 8 AM or 9 AM (I can't recall which) and stop ringing for the day at 5 PM. They typically ring one hymn every hour (about two and a half minutes), with the exception of 12 PM when they ring a few hymns (maybe five minutes). It is not exorbitantly loud and seems to blend in with the noise of city life such as the valets from this hotel calling for taxis. However, having said that, the area is mostly quiet and residential. Westwood is a college town (UCLA), but the hotel is located on the east side of campus, which is the opposite side of campus from where most students live. A few medical students and young professionals live on the east side and they aren't making noise. Directly behind the hotel are multi-million dollar homes and the people on these residential streets are not making noise. In Westwood village, the W Hotel IS the noisiest part of the village (the valets calling taxis at all times and the summer weekend lounge outdoor/pool parties where club music is pumped up such that residents in the area have trouble sleeping). The one caveat I would add is that if you are concerned about the noise, you may not want to visit a) on a summer weekend so that you don't have to hear the noise from the hotel club/lounge itself, and b) during any UCLA finals week where "midnight yell" can be heard anywhere in the village.

heakja Apr 23, 2014 8:31 am

Originally Posted by sinfonia (Post 22747178)
I can't comment on which room/suite numbers will be the most quiet. However, I can assure you that the church bells ring only during the day. The church bells from Westwood Hills Christian Church, which is kitty-corner to the hotel from the front, begin ringing every hour on the hour at either 8 AM or 9 AM (I can't recall which) and stop ringing for the day at 5 PM. They typically ring one hymn every hour (about two and a half minutes), with the exception of 12 PM when they ring a few hymns (maybe five minutes). It is not exorbitantly loud and seems to blend in with the noise of city life such as the valets from this hotel calling for taxis. However, having said that, the area is mostly quiet and residential. Westwood is a college town (UCLA), but the hotel is located on the east side of campus, which is the opposite side of campus from where most students live. A few medical students and young professionals live on the east side and they aren't making noise. Directly behind the hotel are multi-million dollar homes and the people on these residential streets are not making noise. In Westwood village, the W Hotel IS the noisiest part of the village (the valets calling taxis at all times and the summer weekend lounge outdoor/pool parties where club music is pumped up such that residents in the area have trouble sleeping). The one caveat I would add is that if you are concerned about the noise, you may not want to visit a) on a summer weekend so that you don't have to hear the noise from the hotel club/lounge itself, and b) during any UCLA finals week where "midnight yell" can be heard anywhere in the village.

Thank you SO much. It was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. We will be visiting during Christmas, so it will probably be pretty quiet.

sinfonia Apr 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by heakja (Post 22747457)
Thank you SO much. It was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. We will be visiting during Christmas, so it will probably be pretty quiet.

Glad to help. Just as long as you're not coming during finals week in December (see academic calender), you should have an enjoyable stay.

KENNECTED Apr 24, 2014 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by heakja (Post 22746484)

All the rooms are suites. In all my stays there, I don't ever recall hearing those bells. But I'm an early riser and a NYer so maybe I'm conditioned to street noise.

I would agree that a summer weekend would be noiser, but that is because the properties indoor restaurant moves outside and they have pool parties, but they are now required to end at a certain time.

If you want a quiet room, ask for one that does not face the backyard or Hilgard Street.

sinfonia Apr 24, 2014 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 22755020)
If you want a quite room, as for one that does not face the backyard or Hilgard Street.

Good point. Specifically, you probably want to be on the northern and eastern side of the building, if possible.

3rdworldresident Nov 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Any recent stay reports (as a plat member)?

Thanks in advance.

ktjan Nov 28, 2014 7:30 pm

Any suggestions where else to park overnight near this property? I'm going to spend two nights (Sat and Sun) and not willing to pay $76 valet parking!

taipeiflyer Nov 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by ktjan (Post 23912545)
Any suggestions where else to park overnight near this property? I'm going to spend two nights (Sat and Sun) and not willing to pay $76 valet parking!

Plenty of places to park for free right outside the hotel- but you will be moving your car every couple hours. Choice is yours.

nologic Nov 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ktjan (Post 23912545)

Sat nite to Sunday should be free street meter parking. Other nights: cheap lots nearby, or meter until 8am, and then go move ur car. More cheap parking options here than any hotel I've ever encountered w this expensive overnight parking rates on property.

crazypalooza Jan 3, 2015 4:29 pm

Update on platinum breakfast benefit: A choice of the grab & go items on the restaurant bar counter or a credit towards the menu of $40 ($20 x 2 people). To put that in perspective, I think the most expensive item on the menu was $18. I'm glad they now offer a credit towards the sit-down menu.

Also, parking is $38 + tax and includes unlimited in and out privileges (and doesn't earn spg points even when charged to the rooms folio) however you can park about a half block down in a lot for $6.50 during the day or $15 a night (note: cash only). Those rates do NOT include in & out privileges. If someone is staying for a considerable period of time, the monthly (night) rate at the lot down the street is $155 & would include in & out privileges.

KENNECTED Jan 3, 2015 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by crazypalooza (Post 24095704)
Update on platinum breakfast benefit: A choice of the grab & go items on the restaurant bar counter or a credit towards the menu of $40 ($20 x 2 people). To put that in perspective, I think the most expensive item on the menu was $18. I'm glad they now offer a credit towards the sit-down menu.

Also, parking is $38 + tax and includes unlimited in and out privileges (and doesn't earn spg points even when charged to the rooms folio) however you can park about a half block down in a lot for $6.50 during the day or $15 a night (note: cash only). Those rates do NOT include in & out privileges. If someone is staying for a considerable period of time, the monthly (night) rate at the lot down the street is $155 & would include in & out privileges.

If you pay with the SPG AMEX you'll earn points! ;)

Also, that lot at the corner is creepy. I say park on the street.

3rdworldresident Jan 3, 2015 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by crazypalooza (Post 24095704)

thank you very much for the updates, especially the platinum breakfast amenity.

im gonna stay there next month for 5 nights.

do i actually need a car to travel in LA?

crazypalooza Jan 3, 2015 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 24095895)
Also, that lot at the corner is creepy. I say park on the street.

Street parking may not work for a lot of people during the week if they don't want to have to move their cars in the morning.

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 24096260)
thank you very much for the updates, especially the platinum breakfast amenity.

im gonna stay there next month for 5 nights.

do i actually need a car to travel in LA?

IMHO, a car is needed unless you use Uber/taxis everywhere.

JVPhoto Mar 9, 2015 7:39 pm

Is there a difference between a "Wonderful Room" & a "Fantastic Studio"? These options are given when selecting rooms with both having the same $/night.
I see that a Wonderful Studio is listed in the accommodations but nothing with Fantastic.

LovetoTravel83 Mar 10, 2015 6:47 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto (Post 24481967)
Is there a difference between a "Wonderful Room" & a "Fantastic Studio"? These options are given when selecting rooms with both having the same $/night.
I see that a Wonderful Studio is listed in the accommodations but nothing with Fantastic.

Wonderful is a low floor room. Fantastic is on a high floor. Same features though.

KENNECTED Jun 1, 2015 9:29 am

Apparently this property has a new name.

The name change is ridiculous in my opinion as this hotel is clearly in Westwood!

In addition, it appears some rooms have been renovated/refresshed?

JVPhoto Jun 1, 2015 9:37 am

The room I had there was great, very new.

And that is funny about the name change. I guess it makes a bit more sense for people who don't know what/where Westwood is and would write it off as not being "in the city".

UA-NYC Jun 1, 2015 10:29 am

What a dumb name - I've never heard anyone call that area "West Beverly Hills". Why not "East Brentwood"? Or "South Bel-Air?"

WheelsFirst Jun 1, 2015 10:40 am

That's pretty funny, I've lived in LA for 30 years and that area is Westwood, there's nothing else to call it, except West Los Angeles, which is still less accurate.

stimpy Jun 1, 2015 10:55 am

The hotel industry is full of such names. It's worse in Europe. But in LA, of course we also have the Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles At Beverly Hills which is actually in Los Angeles and not BH. I think it used to be called the FS Beverly Hills, but was forced to change to the above title.

KENNECTED Jun 1, 2015 11:10 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 24901535)
The hotel industry is full of such names. It's worse in Europe. But in LA, of course we also have the Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles At Beverly Hills which is actually in Los Angeles and not BH. I think it used to be called the FS Beverly Hills, but was forced to change to the above title.

True, but this is just as bad, as the Westin Grand, Washington, DC.

dw Jun 1, 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED (Post 24900987)
Apparently this property has a new name.

The name change is ridiculous in my opinion as this hotel is clearly in Westwood!

Coincidentally, the Palomar Hotel just a few blocks away, which is also clearly in Westwood, changed its name a few weeks ago from the Palomar Los Angeles/Westwood to Palomar Los Angeles/Beverly Hills.

ac/elite Sep 1, 2015 10:18 pm

Just had a very nice stay. When my wife and I arrived using keyless entry into our Fabulous Suite, upgraded from a Wonderful room, there was a bottle of prosecco on ice along with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note from the manager welcoming me back for my 10th stay at the hotel. My 10 stays have been over the course of a number of years, so I had no idea that it was my 10th. Really classy move by the hotel and greatly appreciated!

We thought that the renovations were very nice. As mentioned earlier, the platinum breakfast amenity is now a choice of the grab and go or $40 (for two people) credit. Breakfast is now served at the outdoor restaurant next to the pool and was very good.

KENNECTED Sep 2, 2015 5:22 am

Originally Posted by ac/elite (Post 25364668)
Just had a very nice stay. When my wife and I arrived using keyless entry into our Fabulous Suite, upgraded from a Wonderful room, there was a bottle of prosecco on ice along with a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note from the manager welcoming me back for my 10th stay at the hotel. My 10 stays have been over the course of a number of years, so I had no idea that it was my 10th. Really classy move by the hotel and greatly appreciated!

We thought that the renovations were very nice. As mentioned earlier, the platinum breakfast amenity is now a choice of the grab and go or $40 (for two people) credit. Breakfast is now served at the outdoor restaurant next to the pool and was very good.

Any pictures?