FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   W Los Angeles Westwood 2007 on [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/168638-w-los-angeles-westwood-2007-master-thread.html)

fabamber Oct 9, 2018 6:59 am

Has anyone had a recent review on this property? Anyone used/requested the courtesy car (within 3 miles from the hotel)? I am wondering if this is a good location to be based in?

It will be our first time in LA, planning to stay 5 days and hit all the tourists stuff (Santa Monica, Hollywood Boulevard, Malibu, Runyon Canyon hike, the observatory, check out some museums in downtown and shopping in The Grove/Melrose Ave area). Also, keen to go out at nightlife to restaurants and bars etc.

I understand LA is very spread out. Will mostly rely on Uber/Lyft. Considering getting a car, but the valet parking fee ($46 a day) seems exorbitant.

Also, open to other Marriott/SPG options if anyone has any recommendations.

bhrubin Oct 9, 2018 9:54 am

I have 2 recent reviews posted to this thread to give some idea about the property. I will be back here again in a few weeks for work, as well, after a stay at the SLS Beverly Hills for leisure.

C17PSGR Oct 9, 2018 10:20 am

Originally Posted by fabamber (Post 30295203)
Has anyone had a recent review on this property? Anyone used/requested the courtesy car (within 3 miles from the hotel)? I am wondering if this is a good location to be based in?

It will be our first time in LA, planning to stay 5 days and hit all the tourists stuff (Santa Monica, Hollywood Boulevard, Malibu, Runyon Canyon hike, the observatory, check out some museums in downtown and shopping in The Grove/Melrose Ave area). Also, keen to go out at nightlife to restaurants and bars etc.

I understand LA is very spread out. Will mostly rely on Uber/Lyft. Considering getting a car, but the valet parking fee ($46 a day) seems exorbitant.

Also, open to other Marriott/SPG options if anyone has any recommendations.

I've stayed there a couple of times. It's a nice property and convenient for those interests but ... an Uber to Malibu could be pricey ... although perhaps cheaper taking into account a five day stay. One downside is there isn't much in walking distance IIRC but others may know better.

In terms of my LA options -- I'm there 2-3 times a month, I like the following properties:

1. SLS -- best breakfast and lots of options in walking distance but can be a little SoCal fake --- Bentleys and shopping bags :)
2. BH Marriott -- decent lounge, lots of options nearby and within walking distance for me, good elite recognition, less SoCal fake.
3. JW Santa Monica -- no lounge, poor plat breakfast, but on the beach (sort of) and lots of options within walking distance
4. JW La Live -- decent lounge, some things within waling distance ... but usually stay her when work is a priority as its downtown. Personally, not a fan of the restaurants there although there are some other interesting places downtown.

Kacee May 19, 2019 6:42 pm

Just checked in for four nights. Need to be at UCLA so this was the obvious choice. Close to 20 years since I was last here. Unimpressed so far. On arrival no sign of bell staff out front or inside. Only one overworked agent working the check-in counter. She announces "I found you a suite with a separate living area." I say, "sounds like what I booked"(Spectacular Suite). She acknowledges "yes, sorry, we're at capacity, there are no upgrades available." Okay fine. Go up to the room. It's a small dark cave of a suite, right next to the service closets. Back downstairs, where the same agent magically finds me a Spectacular Corner Suite. Much better.

Had to ask about breakfast, and it sounds a bit confusing ("continental or a $20 credit"). We'll see how that works out.

bhrubin May 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30295866)
I have 2 recent reviews posted to this thread to give some idea about the property. I will be back here again in a few weeks for work, as well, after a stay at the SLS Beverly Hills for leisure.

As it turns out, I haven’t been back. I tried the SLS and it was better. Much better. Even thought it’s also usually more expensive, I definitely prefer the SLS...and stay there now.

helvetic May 20, 2019 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31118075)
Just checked in for four nights. Need to be at UCLA so this was the obvious choice. Close to 20 years since I was last here. Unimpressed so far. On arrival no sign of bell staff out front or inside. Only one overworked agent working the check-in counter. She announces "I found you a suite with a separate living area." I say, "sounds like what I booked"(Spectacular Suite). She acknowledges "yes, sorry, we're at capacity, there are no upgrades available." Okay fine. Go up to the room. It's a small dark cave of a suite, right next to the service closets. Back downstairs, where the same agent magically finds me a Spectacular Corner Suite. Much better.

Had to ask about breakfast, and it sounds a bit confusing ("continental or a $20 credit"). We'll see how that works out.

This is an all-suites hotel, fwiw.

SacTownGuy Nov 7, 2019 10:23 am

Anybody used an SNA here? What suite do you get? We love the hotel for location and room size. Westwood is not what it once was though. OMG the homeless people and empty storefronts are sort of sad.

dascc Jan 3, 2020 4:56 pm

Looking at booking via the Chase LHR portal. Includes Continental Breakfast for two daily at The Hideout Restaurant. Any experience what "Continental Breakfast" includes at this location?

Andie007 Aug 5, 2021 11:10 am

Any recent experiences at this W? How do they handle the bf benefit at the moment? Thx

magendim Aug 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Andie007 (Post 33466723)
Any recent experiences at this W? How do they handle the bf benefit at the moment? Thx

I just stayed there in early August for four nights. I only had breakfast twice and it was in the Backyard restaurant/bar by the pool area (don't recall what it's called now). I'm LT Titanium and the breakfast ordered off the menu was comped both times which was great as the breakfast is kind of pricey but good.
Other than offering a late checkout, no other Titanium benefits offered or given such as a room upgrade. When I used to stay there a lot the late 2000s as a SPG platinum I don't recall a single stay where I wasn't upgraded to a suite automatically. Another great SPG property that has been Bonvoyed i guess...

magendim Aug 23, 2021 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by helvetic (Post 31118722)
This is an all-suites hotel, fwiw.

Not anymore. Per the post above, I stayed here frequently years ago and was never not in a suite but this time around earlier this month, the room booked was not a suite and that's what I was given. It did have a connecting door so it's possible they downconverted some rooms to standard rooms when they did the last renovation. Otherwise it was fine. I like the area and was a quick drive to the Skirball where I was working but OMG, Westwood is kind of in a sad state these days with all the closed businesses. It used to be such a great area to hang out...

sfozrhfco Aug 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by magendim (Post 33514535)
Not anymore. Per the post above, I stayed here frequently years ago and was never not in a suite but this time around earlier this month, the room booked was not a suite and that's what I was given. It did have a connecting door so it's possible they downconverted some rooms to standard rooms when they did the last renovation. Otherwise it was fine. I like the area and was a quick drive to the Skirball where I was working but OMG, Westwood is kind of in a sad state these days with all the closed businesses. It used to be such a great area to hang out...

Some of the rooms were made smaller a few years back. That said, I haven't had an issue using SNA at this property. They have been very full lately but I have still gotten upgrades by confirming the SNA in advance. If you are not using a SNA and they are booked, you are not going to end up with a 3 room suite as in the past. Service has improved though. If you call down and request something, they actually bring it which was not the case a couple years ago:) August is not a busy time in Westwood with no students around. The Hammer/Fowler museums have reopened and most everything else is open. In a few weeks when the students come back it will liven up again.

Kacee Aug 24, 2021 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco (Post 33516347)
in a few weeks when the students come back it will liven up again.

I dunno, I was there for a week in spring 2019 and Westwood was bleak then, too. Not as bad as now, but nothing like when I was a student back in pre-historic times (1980s).

Kacee May 23, 2022 8:26 am

One night stay this weekend. Very solid deal at 40k points (with cash rates in the $400 range), used a free night cert. SNA cleared into Fantastic Suite, was then further upgraded at check-in to a Wow Suite on 11th floor (1115, on northwest corner of building). Room itself was large and pretty nice, though the carpet had some dubious looking stains. Staff were uniformly outstanding. Really could not have been nicer or more helpful. (Big difference from extreme arrogance we encountered at W/A BH three weeks ago when burning a free night award.)

Breakfast is now a $25 pp credit for up to two guests. We had a very pleasant poolside brunch. Service and food were excellent. Check was $75, cheerfully reduced by the $50 credit at check-out.

The negative here was one of the noisiest rooms I've had in recent memory. We were there on Saturday and had loud music from an event at the Terrace all afternoon, then at night noise from the bar's outdoor terrace, loud voices from the room next door, voices through the HVAC vents, traffic noise from Hilgard, and ambulances going into the medical center. Could not sleep until 3 am. If were to return, would request a room on the downtown side (east) of the building.

Note that Westwood has gotten even worse, over half the store-fronts are now closed. Very sad recalling what it was like in the early 80s when I attended UCLA. Still a very solid overall location though.