Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Ritz Carlton [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Ritz Carlton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:14 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
The Club is a total waste for us as we much prefer dining out or using room service when we travel.

But you articulated something I have always suspected- at a Ritz Carlton the Club guests are “preferred”
I know it can happen and I expect it can be true in more places than not. But I don't think that's always true. In Boston, for example, I was treated extremely well. I think Ambassador status ordinarily can preclude that issue--but not in Chicago.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I know it can happen and I expect it can be true in more places than not. But I don't think that's always true. In Boston, for example, I was treated extremely well. I think Ambassador status ordinarily can preclude that issue--but not in Chicago.
One data point, during my stay in Boston I called down to the front desk and asked for a late check out as a Gold member after the merge and they wouldn't extend me past 2pm. I went down to the club lounge and they were more than willing to give me a later check out and let us stay in the lounge til our flight left. This was during the polar vortex so we were there til 10pm that night.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:34 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by phant0m
One data point, during my stay in Boston I called down to the front desk and asked for a late check out as a Gold member after the merge and they wouldn't extend me past 2pm. I went down to the club lounge and they were more than willing to give me a later check out and let us stay in the lounge til our flight left. This was during the polar vortex so we were there til 10pm that night.
As a Gold, you are not entitled to more than 2 pm. The front desk didn’t do anything wrong. Just because the Club Lounge did doesn’t mean much to me in that instance. Just because I get upgraded to a specialty suite at one hotel doesn’t mean another hotel isn’t treating me better.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Looks like the Park Hyatt will remain my Chicago hotel of choice, though I do find it rather pricey when I’m only staying for short periods (I once “lived” there a few nights a week on a fantastic negotiated rate).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:54 am

As a Gold, you are not entitled to more than 2 pm. The front desk didn’t do anything wrong. Just because the Club Lounge did doesn’t mean much to me in that instance. Just because I get upgraded to a specialty suite at one hotel doesn’t mean another hotel isn’t treating me better.
Oh didn't mean to try to say that they did anything wrong. I definitely understand they don't have to give me anything past 2pm. It is just that the Club Lounge concierge/team is more willing to go above and beyond for their guests vs. the team downstairs and I've stayed at quite a few RC Clubs and that has definitely been my experience throughout the world as well.
damon88 and bhrubin like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Wife is a Titanium Elite. When booking a standard room on points, what sort of upgrade should be expected?

Perhaps more importantly, does this property give lounge access in this situation even though it appears to not be a guaranteed benefit for PE or TE?

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2019, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jmd001
Wife is a Titanium Elite. When booking a standard room on points, what sort of upgrade should be expected?

Perhaps more importantly, does this property give lounge access in this situation even though it appears to not be a guaranteed benefit for PE or TE?

Thanks.
As always, upgrades are based on availability but can include up to an entry level suite in the suite upgrade pool for a Titanium elite. Shouldn’t make much difference whether booked via points or cash, to be honest.

As always with Ritz-Carlton, there is no elite status entitlement for Club lounge access: you either pay for it or not. Period. It’s worth noting that RC Clubs usually are much nicer than the regular lounges offered elsewhere as an elite/Platinum benefit, so its not exactly comparable.
Catskilltraveller likes this.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by jmd001

Thanks.
I will say that the food offerings at the RC Chicago Club Lounge is really subpar to every other Club Lounge I've been too.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by phant0m
I will say that the food offerings at the RC Chicago Club Lounge is really subpar to every other Club Lounge I've been too.
Have you been back since the complete renovation of the Club, which opened early Feb? I've been here a few times, and I will say the offerings were better this time than in the past, but I wouldn't rank it as subpar based on my experiences - I know, YMMV.

I would put Aruba and New Orleans near the top and Grand Cayman and South Beach toward to the bottom. For GC, it was mostly because they were very strict about not letting food or drinks leave the Club (this was 2015). Taking a water or two at the end of the night or down to the beach is not unreasonable. For South Beach, the food offerings were very limited and the food sat out for a long time under heat laps so meat was very dry if you weren't at dinner at the start of service.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Originally Posted by sig05
For GC, it was mostly because they were very strict about not letting food or drinks leave the Club (this was 2015). T.
Wow, thanks for the tip. That would be enough reason for me to book away from RC Grand Cayman. If I cant take a couple glasses of champagne and a little bite back to the room pre-dinner while getting dressed or coffee and some nibbles when I first wake up then the Club loses a significant amount of value to me.
danbnash likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Wow, thanks for the tip. That would be enough reason for me to book away from RC Grand Cayman. If I cant take a couple glasses of champagne and a little bite back to the room pre-dinner while getting dressed or coffee and some nibbles when I first wake up then the Club loses a significant amount of value to me.
You should look for more recent feedback since my experience is now 4 years old and the policy might have changed. However, I have the same thoughts as you.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by sig05
Have you been back since the complete renovation of the Club, which opened early Feb? I've been here a few times, and I will say the offerings were better this time than in the past, but I wouldn't rank it as subpar based on my experiences - I know, YMMV.

I would put Aruba and New Orleans near the top and Grand Cayman and South Beach toward to the bottom. For GC, it was mostly because they were very strict about not letting food or drinks leave the Club (this was 2015). Taking a water or two at the end of the night or down to the beach is not unreasonable. For South Beach, the food offerings were very limited and the food sat out for a long time under heat laps so meat was very dry if you weren't at dinner at the start of service.
I am in agreement, The New Orleans club is a favorite for me as well. I hope the South Beach club is improved when it reopens, I got the feeling that they had some extra space and decided to make a club lounge with very little thought put into it.

We have a stay at the RC in Chicago coming up but with so many other options we are not doing the club. It has been several years since we stayed there so i am anxious to see how the property has changed, it was still a FS during our last visit. I really like the Peninsula so we will see how the RC stacks up now.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m.photog
We have a stay at the RC in Chicago coming up but with so many other options we are not doing the club. It has been several years since we stayed there so i am anxious to see how the property has changed, it was still a FS during our last visit. I really like the Peninsula so we will see how the RC stacks up now.
Take it from me: stay at the Peninsula.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA

Take it from me: stay at the Peninsula.
I have two free night certs that are about to expire or we probably would be headed to the Peninsula. I will report on my findings.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by m.photog
I have two free night certs that are about to expire or we probably would be headed to the Peninsula. I will report on my findings.
I understand. But I’d recommend using those at a better Ritz-Carlton. The RC Chicago property is really underwhelming, as evidenced by my recent stay in April (and concomitant Expert Review above). Very disappointing hard product. Dated decor and furnishings. Lots of service fails. And I’m Ambassador elite and get treated usually so well at even the best RC and StR properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.