Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Chicago Ritz Carlton [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago Ritz Carlton [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Checked in today after some harrowing driving in the snow. We have a lakeview room but unfortunately does not face the correct side so will not have a fireworks view. Arived later than we had intentended but got to the lounge around 7 pm. It does not appear that they refresh the food at all. They had 3 warm options: bbq pork sliders (unfortunately dried out), coconut shrimp (best thing they had), and some melted pepper jack type cheese. They had some crudités, antipasto meats, dolmades, and caviar bites. Ran out of caviar bites, crudités and dressing but it was not refilled. They also closed the station early to put out some sad selections of desserts before 8 pm. Sorry if I am offending anyone, but there was a group of tweens in there in pajamas that were basically allowed to do whatever they want. One of them had a cold and was coughing and sneezing over the displays of food. They also hovered over the food as the staff set up the desserts. Luckily none of it looked that good and so we passed. At $200/night just for lounge access, it did not seem any better than a typical Hilton lounge. I should have taken photos of the sadness. Hopefully tomorrow will be better or at least I’ll post photos. As for tonight, I am regretting not booking the langham or Waldorf.

We had other service issues that aren’t really worth mentioning now. But not what I expect from a 4.5 to 5 star hotel (I.e. it should not take 3 calls and 2 hours to get a rollaway bed that was requested and confirmed prior to check-in.)
Yikes. That should offend no one! I’d be pretty upset, too. As would most IMO.

Your complaints are the gist of my biggest reasons why I’ve never been a fan of Ritz Carlton Club levels. The Club isn’t guaranteed to have good food at a luxury level, and even if had some there is no guarantee that people haven’t picked through it, it doesnt get replaced/refreshed as appropriate, etc. it just doesn’t seem luxury to me at all.

In your case, I must say that as someone who paid extra for the Club privilege, if you don’t complain you are merely enabling this bad behavior. I highly recommend you complain...and with photos. Post the photos here. Prove your point. If you don’t, you unfortunately are just being passive aggressive—by aggressively complaining here to us who can do nothing to help, while being passive to the actual hotel management which potentially can help if given the chance.

You really should give them the chance to make it right. If nothing else, I’d ask for a rebate on the Club rate, since it isn’t up to standard. But you will feel better and hopefully find some satisfaction by the hotel Service recovery. If a Ritz Carlton can’t come up with an appropriate service recovery in such circumstances, then it doesn’t deserve its 5 star moniker IMO.
TravelLawyer and ords like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Globalist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Platinum
I hate wasting my valuable vacation time complaining, but it might be necessary. There is no coffee this morning. And no bread. And no juice. What is going on??
No coffee? Seriously?
I am not much of a complainer either, but for $200 I'd have my butt down there b!tching up a storm!
TravelLawyer and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:16 pm

Any follow up to the issues you’ve had?

I’m checked in and was upgraded to the Navy Pier suite. So those wondering, I had booked a Lakeview suite which is nice in of itself over looking the lake and navy pier.

Only issue so far was key not working to the lounge, so had to head back to the FD which was fixed immediately.

I’ve taken some pictures, but I count no less than 6 lounge attendants working tonight. While it does seem crowded with kids, everything’s been restocked and attended too.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro; United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by ords
Any follow up to the issues you’ve had?
We checked out today after a 3-night stay. We were upgraded from city view to lakeview as virtuoso/stars members, but we asked for an upgrade to face the pier side since we have young children, but alas was not available. Apparently only the lakeside suites and above have pier and fireworks views, but not the lakeview rooms (or at least that’s what I was told).

The group with the tweens must have checked out on Saturday as we didn’t see them again after breakfast. As I didn’t see them again, I didn’t mention it. I did complain to the staff that there was no beverages and food was not restocked, and they apologized that they were not prepared for the crowd. Saturday evening food was literally Hilton or Sheraton quality. Super dry sliders and hot dogs. Also, breakfast each morning did not change. It was literally a Hilton/Sheraton lounge breakfast with bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, fruit, toast, and smoked salmon. No made to order anything. I can’t recall dessert on Friday or Saturday, but it wasn’t anything we wanted. Sunday evening was much better in all regards - probably in recognition of NYE. They were fully staffed and had seafood and sushi. Dessert was also great.. One of the lounge staff even took the time to help me with the wine (they were too busy the 1st two nights). That’s what I expect from a Ritz lounge, but I guess I need to reset my expectations.

The pool was a bit of a zoo, ran out of towels, and frigid cold. My only other issue was that elevators need major updates. The elevators were slow and it usually took multiple full cars to get one that could squeeze in the 4 of us. People were riding up to go down. Although we got to hang out with the Portland Trailblazers as a result.

It wasn’t all bad. The beds were some of the most comfy beds I’ve ever slept in. They also were able to send a humidifier in the room upon request (super dry in the room). The housekeeping staff were also very friendly and accommodating. And the kids loved the candy cart - although selections were limited and some of the candy was stale (stay away from the gummy bears). That restaurant was also delicious - steak was amazing with truffle butter.

I think on an overall service level, especially in the lounge, they needed to step up their game - which they did on my 3rd night. With the inconsistency, it’s hard to make a recommendation over other 5 star hotels in Chicago, other than for the location. We didn’t have to step foot outside to get to the mall which was a definite plus when dealing with those cold temps.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2

We checked out today after a 3-night stay. We were upgraded from city view to lakeview as virtuoso/stars members, but we asked for an upgrade to face the pier side since we have young children, but alas was not available. Apparently only the lakeside suites and above have pier and fireworks views, but not the lakeview rooms (or at least that’s what I was told).

The group with the tweens must have checked out on Saturday as we didn’t see them again after breakfast. As I didn’t see them again, I didn’t mention it. I did complain to the staff that there was no beverages and food was not restocked, and they apologized that they were not prepared for the crowd. Saturday evening food was literally Hilton or Sheraton quality. Super dry sliders and hot dogs. Also, breakfast each morning did not change. It was literally a Hilton/Sheraton lounge breakfast with bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, fruit, toast, and smoked salmon. No made to order anything. I can’t recall dessert on Friday or Saturday, but it wasn’t anything we wanted. Sunday evening was much better in all regards - probably in recognition of NYE. They were fully staffed and had seafood and sushi. Dessert was also great.. One of the lounge staff even took the time to help me with the wine (they were too busy the 1st two nights). That’s what I expect from a Ritz lounge, but I guess I need to reset my expectations.

The pool was a bit of a zoo, ran out of towels, and frigid cold. My only other issue was that elevators need major updates. The elevators were slow and it usually took multiple full cars to get one that could squeeze in the 4 of us. People were riding up to go down. Although we got to hang out with the Portland Trailblazers as a result.

It wasn’t all bad. The beds were some of the most comfy beds I’ve ever slept in. They also were able to send a humidifier in the room upon request (super dry in the room). The housekeeping staff were also very friendly and accommodating. And the kids loved the candy cart - although selections were limited and some of the candy was stale (stay away from the gummy bears). That restaurant was also delicious - steak was amazing with truffle butter.

I think on an overall service level, especially in the lounge, they needed to step up their game - which they did on my 3rd night. With the inconsistency, it’s hard to make a recommendation over other 5 star hotels in Chicago, other than for the location. We didn’t have to step foot outside to get to the mall which was a definite plus when dealing with those cold temps.
I sympathize as this is not my favorite hotel by a long shot, and not even close to my favorite Ritz Club Lounge, but...
what U.S. Club lounge are you used to getting anything made to order for breakfast? RCDC toys with it every now and then maybe...

And obviously making items to order is not the only factor that separates a Ritz Carlton Club from a Hilton/Sheraton.

As someone who is/was a regular at a new/sparkling JW Marriott for around a year, I always breathed a sigh of contentment when traveling to a different market and walking into a Ritz lounge. So much better than the JW upscale-cafeteria experience with everyone elbowing each other out for a seat. And the Ritz food can vary from one step up to multiple steps up from the JW—- with Hilton and Sheraton/Marriott not really in the same ballpark.

All this being said the RC Chicago Club was thrown together. It’s ok, but where the Ritz used to reserve best views for the Club, here they combined some of the worst rooms of the hotel and transformed them into a lounge. A big mistake IMO. The food on my visits was better than yours and it seems the walls put up around entry into the lounge weren’t as effective as usual when it comes to crowd control. So your displeasure seems warranted to me!

Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:03 am

I'm in the hotel currently for 2 nights with family and I've already emailed my connection within the hotel with a short list of service missteps. I'm not going to let "it's St. Patty's day weekend or there was a large wedding this weekend" hold any meaning. This is basic crap the front desk/lounge attendants should not allow to happen.

1. Charged for Internet being a plat.
2. Charged for valet when already within the room rate.
3. Club Lounge access and yet keys not coded for lounge.
4. Speaking of the lounge; staff attendants this weekend were far more reactive than proactive. Too many dirty tables, not keeping cold beer stocked, serving mimosa to my daughter in a non Champagne flute. ( My daughter called the attendant out on this and had her make a new one in the proper glass) Petty, perhaps but my daughter was having none of it.
5. Snacks....for the love of god. How difficult is it to make sure there's always pita chips, potato chips and such available to snack on instead of calling out the lounge attendant. I wasn't the only one who had this issue while we were in there.
6. Food crumbs on the floor and not one effort to clean them up.

Items 1-2 I took care of this morning, 3 I had to walk back down to the lobby after checkin to get corrected without so much of a "our apologies" about this.

I recently was at the Renaissance St. Pancras in London and I have to tell you, the Chambers Club there blew this RC lounge out of the water when it comes to service and food offerings.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
I travel to Chicago on business at least 3 nights per month, and I tend to try new properties regularly, focusing on 5-star and boutique-ish 4-star properties. I hesitated to stay at the RC on my most recent visit, given the mixed reviews above and my past positive experience at Langham Club. However, the city was practically sold out for several large conventions, so literally one of the only rooms left in town was a Lakeside Club Suite at RC Chicago. I booked via Virtuoso and received all benefits therein.

Upon check-in I was told immediately that I'd been upgraded to the largest suite they had in the hotel. I joked about it being the Presidential suite, and the FD agent of course said no - I was upgraded to the 2BR Navy Pier Suite. Turns out the Navy Pier Suite is only half the size of the Presidential, but the FD agent tried to flip the script by reinforcing that the Navy Suite is his personal favorite. Whether that was true or not, it was a great psychological move on his part.

The Navy Pier Suite (Room 2710) is perhaps one of the more handsome looking hotel suites I've seen in the USA, and easily comparable to, if not nicer than the Langham's suites. The view was superb - perhaps the best I've had so far in Chicago. The fit and finish of the materials was top notch, and the furniture selection was notably not "Marriott-ish." The room was both visually appealing and practical. I only had a few small critiques of the room:
  • A room this large with so many windows should have had motorized shades. With approximately 15 shades and 5 sets of drapes in the whole suite, it was quite a task to open and close by hand.
  • The living room area seemed under-furnished (though what was there was exceptional quality and very stylish). There was a 4-seat dining table, a 3-seat couch, and 2 side chairs, yet the room seemed half empty. I believe they missed an opportunity to place furniture of a grander scale in the space.
  • Given this hotel is in downtown and likely to appeal as much to business travelers as holiday travelers, I was surprised that the only formal working space in the entire 1,400 sq ft. was in what I considered the guest bedroom (because of its less fancy bathroom). I would think placing a desk in the living room or master bedroom would be more logical. Not a big deal for me as a solo traveler, but if I had my wife and kids in tow, I'd hate to have to go into my kids room to do work.
  • Somewhat related to above, the master bedroom (I presume it was the master because it had the more deluxe bathroom) was not facing the lake - it faced an office building next door. The guest room was the one with the far superior view.

As for the previous critiques of the jam packed and perpetually out of stock Club Lounge F&B selections, I found the opposite to be true. Despite the hotel being overbooked during my stay, the club lounge crowd was always reasonable, and the F&B selection was constantly being monitored and replenished. In general, I found the service at the RC Club Lounge to be personalized, warm, and surprisingly attentive. Whereas the Langham Club is entirely self service, I felt downright doted on in the RC Club. I was regularly asked if I needed anything, offered drink refills, a friendly chat, etc...They even provide full-service cocktail mixing in the evening hours (though the selection was limited to classics like Martinis and Manhattans). I had a chance to chat with the Club manager Pierre - he is a true gem and is likely the inspiration for the high service level.

Bottom line: I believe the Ritz Carlton Chicago Club Level is my new #1 property in Chicago. I must emphasize, however, that I believe the Club aspect is truly what sets it apart. The 4 employee encounters I had in the mainline part of the hotel offered a more generic experience that didn't set it apart from any other 5-star competition. However, my interaction with Club employees was exceptional.

Not that anyone asked for it, but my current Chicago 5-star ranking is:

1. Ritz Carlton Club Level - like the Langham, but better and more tailor made
2. Langham Club Level - offers a truly special experience, though not as personable as Ritz Carlton
3 (tie). Four Seasons - A solid 5-star contender; interchangeable with the Pen
3 (tie). Peninsula - A solid 5-star contender; interchangeable with 4S. Unknown why the Pen is the perpetual darling of travel publications
4. Trump - hard product, though better than Park Hyatt, is due for a refresh as well - and their service is downright snooty in an Eastern European way
5. Park Hyatt - well past its prime and due for a thorough room renovation and absolutely does not offer anything close to 5-star service

I've not yet tried the Waldorf / Elysian so I can't comment on that.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Any recent reviews of the club lounge? How have Platinum's faired on upgrades here? I'm planning to book an Executive Suite, any chance I get bumped to a Mag Mile or Gold Coast Suite?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:58 am

Just an FYI - the Club is closed the entire month of January. Had a reservation at the end of Jan. and the hotel called to inform me the Club was closed for maintenance. Expected to reopen Feb. 1.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

note there are also residences that are rented by hotel on short term basis, is there currently a minimum stay ?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Worst Ritz-Carlton stay of my life don\'t go!

The Ritz-Carlton Chicago

Map| 7 Reviews | 43% Recommended

The Ritz-Carlton Chicago

160 E Pearson Street Chicago, IL US 60611

Worst Ritz-Carlton stay of my life. Don't go. (27 Photos)

The Ritz-Carlton Chicago

After completing my almost 4 weeks of business travel, I stopped through Chicago on the way home to do a few more campus visits and see some former students. I decided to give the RC Chicago a try after enjoying a previous stay at the Gwen. I think I'll return to the Gwen or try the Peninsula or Park Hyatt next time.

The Ritz-Carlton public spaces look lovely...and that's where it ends for me. 

20190413_162520 (1).jpg

The entry lobby/reception:

20190413_185012.jpg

20190413_185015.jpg

The lobby lounge/bar and cafe areas:

20190413_184711.jpg

The main restaurant off the lounge:

20190413_184723.jpg

The bar area:

20190413_184807.jpg

The cafe:

20190413_184937.jpg

Check In

Check in was friendly and welcoming. The FDA didn't mention my Ambassador status but mentioned I'd been upgraded from my booked Executive Suite to a Lakeside Suite.

I had booked the Executive Suite at an outstanding AAA rate of $367 many months before, so the upgrade wasn't as important for me as a single traveler. I had noticed that I'd been pre-upgraded to the Lakeside Suite almost a week before my arrival. 

I'd heard that the rooms here were a bit disappointing and dated, but that the suites were nicer. That's part of the reason I booked the suite. I shouldn't have bothered, though I can only imagine what the rooms look like.

Room

The Lakeside Suite was huge...and still quite disappointing. Ironically, the air con was preset to 65 F and actually was close to that on my arrival. The one thing I say I want most was actually done...and yet I still wasn't fond of the suite.

The suite had an odd entry with the hotel door on the left, and the bedroom door opening on the right of the photo.

20190412_224616.jpg

There was a luggage cart with extra water for me in the hallway. A very odd place to leave it in my opinion. And it was still wrapped in its plastic--tacky!

20190412_224947.jpg

The nice powder bath was in the hallway leading to the dining room/living room:

20190412_224812.jpg

The living room/dining room was spacious...but felt flat. It just didn't feel luxurious to me in the slightest. It felt dated and very uninspired.

20190412_224925.jpg

20190412_224911.jpg

The bedroom was really uninspired and looked almost spartan...and a bit dreary.

20190412_224118.jpg

20190412_224103.jpg

The small dresser and way too small TV didn't help much. There being nothing on the wall but that horrible wallpaper also wasn't too nice. Not successful at all. The designer should never design again.

The closet:

20190412_224737 (1).jpg

The master bath was the only element of the suite, aside from the powder bath, that looked at all modern and inspiring.

20190412_224658.jpg

20190412_224710.jpg

20190412_224720.jpg

The nighttime views were nice looking out onto Navy Pier:

20190412_225225.jpg

20190412_225038.jpg

The daytime views were nice, at least looking out onto Navy Pier.

20190413_162916.jpg

20190413_162946.jpg

The lovely welcome amenity was left without any note--a little disappointing.

20190412_224940.jpg

The suite was large and spacious but felt vacuous, both in the living room with the dated furnishings that didn't quite match or fill the space and in the bedroom with the sad looking bed and dresser/TV that also didn't remotely complete the space in a satisfying manner. 

Very disappointing.

When I wrote to the Director of Operations to complain, he informed me of his disappointment as the suites had been renovated in the last few years. The rooms were to begin renovation soon. I don't expect much from fhe rooms with on the suite renovations looking as tired and uninspired as this!

Service

Service? What service?

No HBO despite it being advertised (and for the GoT premier, no less)—even with HBO showing in the channel list despite it actually being Showtime. When I called to complain, the operator lied and said they had HBO on Channel 37--even as I lated discovered they knew that DISH network had a contract dispute with HBO and that HBO wasn't provided. I had made sure they had HBO since I knew the GoT premier was that Sunday. I was furious.

The hotel claims that it did get HBO restored before the GoT premier...and that I was supposed to be called about it. No one ever called me. Not impressive again.

Calls to the operator and front desk repeatedly ringing more than 10-15 times on numerous occasions was infuriating. Unlike the RC Georgetown that tried to find ways to improve that, this team seemed to think it wasn't a problem in the first place. It was endemic. Almost every time I tried to call. It became a comedy of errors whenever anything went wrong. 

At 8:30 am my final morning, someone rang my doorbell and opened the door to leave the bill. Waking me up for some ungodly reason that no one can figure. Did I mention the Do Not Disturb was hanging on the door? Even were it not, why would anyone ring the doorbell and open the door at 8:30 am for that purpose?

Only two towels were placed in the master bathroom despite repeated requests for more. It became a comedy of errors to me, as well. Were they short on towels? Wildly unimpressive. Despite 2 calls to get that changed and to ask for more towels. All they gave me was this:

20190415_102327.jpg

I finally had to ask a housekeeper at turndown the last night for extra towels. She gave me one extra towel.

20190415_102322.jpg

I had asked housekeeping and the front office manager to make sure to keep the bedroom door closed to maintain the air con in the bedroom. Nope, it was always left open.

No turndown on either of my first two nights.

Even asking for a corrected hotel bill before my departure was an act of futility. After waiting 20 minutes, I finally had to go to the front desk where I learned they were having printing issues—but it would be emailed in a minute or two. Yet no one even had thought to call to tell me in my room that my waiting was completely unnecessary.

Of course, that final bill/folio never did arrive in my email as promised. That I again had to call the hotel an hour later from the airport to still get the emailed folio was representative of all the incompetent interactions and poor service I had at the hotel all weekend. 

Mediocre room service. I mean it had to be the worst club sandwich I'd ever had. 

Disinterested and lackluster management. Even the Director of Operations' response to my complaint and follow up email was disappointing. 

The standard at this hotel doesn’t exactly equate to luxury in my book. I don't plan to ever return. 

Dining

Room service was disappointing to mediocre.

They missed the egg white detail in my breakfast room service order.

20190413_091242.jpg

This was the worst club sandwich I've had in a long time.

20190414_151104.jpg

My experience at the bar, however, was lovely. Great friendly service. My first Manhattan was weak, so it was quickly replaced by a wonderful Old Fashioned. Or two. :)

The hotel is nicely located. But it isn't a good luxury hotel.

Overall

Way too many issues and way too disappointing a hard product--and that's even after recent refurbishment!

I won't be returning. 

Worst Ritz-Carlton stay of my life. Don't go.

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz-Carlton Chicago?

No, thank you.
Yes
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Agree that the suite decor looks dated/missing furniture. Reading the entire trip report, does sound like an overall disappointing experience. Right now I'm hungry, so the omelette looks good (), but the club sandwich definitely looks disappointing.

Cheers.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Introduction After completing my almost 4 weeks of business travel, I stopped through Chicago on the way home to do a few more campus visits and see some former students. I decided to give the RC Chicago a try after enjoying a previous stay at the Gwen. I think I'll return to the Gwen or try the Peninsula or Park Hyatt next time.The Ritz-Carlton public spaces look lovely...and that's where it ends for me. The entry lobby/reception:The lobby lounge/bar and cafe areas:The main restaurant off the lounge:The bar area:The cafe: Check In Check in was friendly and welcoming. The FDA didn't mention my Ambassador status but mentioned I'd been upgraded from my booked Executive Suite to a Lakeside Suite.I had booked the Executive Suite at an outstanding AAA rate of $367 many months before, so the upgrade wasn't as important for me as a single traveler. I had noticed that I'd been pre-upgraded to the Lakeside Suite almost a week before my arrival. I'd heard that the rooms here were a bit disappointing and dated, but that the suites were nicer. That's part of the reason I booked the suite. I shouldn't have bothered, though I can only imagine what the rooms look like. Room The Lakeside Suite was huge...and still quite disappointing. Ironically, the air con was preset to 65 F and actually was close to that on my arrival. The one thing I say I want most was actually done...and yet I still wasn't fond of the suite.The suite had an odd entry with the hotel door on the left, and the bedroom door opening on the right of the photo.There was a luggage cart with extra water for me in the hallway. A very odd place to leave it in my opinion. And it was still wrapped in its plastic--tacky!The nice powder bath was in the hallway leading to the dining room/living room:The living room/dining room was spacious...but felt flat. It just didn't feel luxurious to me in the slightest. It felt dated and very uninspired.The bedroom was really uninspired and looked almost spartan...and a bit dreary.The small dresser and way too small TV didn't help much. There being nothing on the wall but that horrible wallpaper also wasn't too nice. Not successful at all. The designer should never design again.The closet:The master bath was the only element of the suite, aside from the powder bath, that looked at all modern and inspiring.The nighttime views were nice looking out onto Navy Pier:The daytime views were nice, at least looking out onto Navy Pier.The lovely welcome amenity was left without any note--a little disappointing.The suite was large and spacious but felt vacuous, both in the living room with the dated furnishings that didn't quite match or fill the space and in the bedroom with the sad looking bed and dresser/TV that also didn't remotely complete the space in a satisfying manner. Very disappointing.When I wrote to the Director of Operations to complain, he informed me of his disappointment as the suites had been renovated in the last few years. The rooms were to begin renovation soon. I don't expect much from fhe rooms with on the suite renovations looking as tired and uninspired as this! Service Service? What service?No HBO despite it being advertised (and for the GoT premier, no less) €”even with HBO showing in the channel list despite it actually being Showtime. When I called to complain, the operator lied and said they had HBO on Channel 37--even as I lated discovered they knew that DISH network had a contract dispute with HBO and that HBO wasn't provided. I had made sure they had HBO since I knew the GoT premier was that Sunday. I was furious.The hotel claims that it did get HBO restored before the GoT premier...and that I was supposed to be called about it. No one ever called me. Not impressive again.Calls to the operator and front desk repeatedly ringing more than 10-15 times on numerous occasions was infuriating. Unlike the RC Georgetown that tried to find ways to improve that, this team seemed to think it wasn't a problem in the first place. It was endemic. Almost every time I tried to call. It became a comedy of errors whenever anything went wrong. At 8:30 am my final morning, someone rang my doorbell and opened the door to leave the bill. Waking me up for some ungodly reason that no one can figure. Did I mention the Do Not Disturb was hanging on the door? Even were it not, why would anyone ring the doorbell and open the door at 8:30 am for that purpose?Only two towels were placed in the master bathroom despite repeated requests for more. It became a comedy of errors to me, as well. Were they short on towels? Wildly unimpressive. Despite 2 calls to get that changed and to ask for more towels. All they gave me was this:I finally had to ask a housekeeper at turndown the last night for extra towels. She gave me one extra towel.I had asked housekeeping and the front office manager to make sure to keep the bedroom door closed to maintain the air con in the bedroom. Nope, it was always left open.No turndown on either of my first two nights.Even asking for a corrected hotel bill before my departure was an act of futility. After waiting 20 minutes, I finally had to go to the front desk where I learned they were having printing issues €”but it would be emailed in a minute or two. Yet no one even had thought to call to tell me in my room that my waiting was completely unnecessary.Of course, that final bill/folio never did arrive in my email as promised. That I again had to call the hotel an hour later from the airport to still get the emailed folio was representative of all the incompetent interactions and poor service I had at the hotel all weekend. Mediocre room service. I mean it had to be the worst club sandwich I'd ever had. Disinterested and lackluster management. Even the Director of Operations' response to my complaint and follow up email was disappointing. The standard at this hotel doesn €™t exactly equate to luxury in my book. I don't plan to ever return. Dining Room service was disappointing to mediocre.They missed the egg white detail in my breakfast room service order.This was the worst club sandwich I've had in a long time.My experience at the bar, however, was lovely. Great friendly service. My first Manhattan was weak, so it was quickly replaced by a wonderful Old Fashioned. Or two. Location The hotel is nicely located. But it isn't a good luxury hotel. Overall Way too many issues and way too disappointing a hard product--and that's even after recent refurbishment!I won't be returning.
I just finished my 2 night stay over the weekend as well. We got upgraded to the Gold Coast Suite and as Plat members, got 20% off all food and drink inside the hotel.

I'll say this right away, your suite is definitely renovated vs. what I had in the Gold Coast Suite. It was do-able but definitely not as modern as yours. Our HBO did work fine and our TV was much, much larger however. When I was sitting down, I found that the bed skirting was horribly dirty and stained. I noted this to the front desk at around 11pm the first night. They came, took pictures, and told me a manager would contact me in the morning. Didn't get any call the next day so I ended up bringing it to the people in the Club Lounge (Word of advice, at any RC hotel, the Club Lounge people are always on top of it vs. the front desk). The House Keeping/Facilities manager came up to the lounge and spoke with me apologizing and offered points as compensation and had a team to come in the room to change the skirting and clean up any carpet stains. I was fine with that.

Drinks and breakfast at Torali was great. Club lounge food was okay. Had much better Club lounge food at RC Boston.

All in all, rooms need a major rework.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by phant0m
I just finished my 2 night stay over the weekend as well. We got upgraded to the Gold Coast Suite and as Plat members, got 20% off all food and drink inside the hotel.

I'll say this right away, your suite is definitely renovated vs. what I had in the Gold Coast Suite. It was do-able but definitely not as modern as yours. Our HBO did work fine and our TV was much, much larger however. When I was sitting down, I found that the bed skirting was horribly dirty and stained. I noted this to the front desk at around 11pm the first night. They came, took pictures, and told me a manager would contact me in the morning. Didn't get any call the next day so I ended up bringing it to the people in the Club Lounge (Word of advice, at any RC hotel, the Club Lounge people are always on top of it vs. the front desk). The House Keeping/Facilities manager came up to the lounge and spoke with me apologizing and offered points as compensation and had a team to come in the room to change the skirting and clean up any carpet stains. I was fine with that.

Drinks and breakfast at Torali was great. Club lounge food was okay. Had much better Club lounge food at RC Boston.

All in all, rooms need a major rework.
Yikes, I can't imagine what your Gold Coast Suite looked like. Please do post photos if you have any and can bother!

If the Ritz-Carlton wants to be considered a luxury hotel, its front desk and guest relations teams will have to be able to handle things or refer things to those who can in a manner much better than what happened for me at the RC Chicago. I don't pay for Club because I don't need the Club food/beverage. This is one of the reasons I had always been reluctant to stay at RC in the first place, believing that the Club guests get better treatment than non-Club guests. That hasn't been my experience at any of the other RC properties at which I've stayed, but it could be an issue for the poorly managed RC Chicago.

Clearly, this is a RC to avoid.

OTOH, I had an amazing stay at the RC Boston only a few weeks before this stay. I also posted a very positive Expert Review for that stay.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yikes, I can't imagine what your Gold Coast Suite looked like. Please do post photos if you have any and can bother!

If the Ritz-Carlton wants to be considered a luxury hotel, its front desk and guest relations teams will have to be able to handle things or refer things to those who can in a manner much better than what happened for me at the RC Chicago. I don't pay for Club because I don't need the Club food/beverage. This is one of the reasons I had always been reluctant to stay at RC in the first place, believing that the Club guests get better treatment than non-Club guests. That hasn't been my experience at any of the other RC properties at which I've stayed, but it could be an issue for the poorly managed RC Chicago.

Clearly, this is a RC to avoid.

OTOH, I had an amazing stay at the RC Boston only a few weeks before this stay. I also posted a very positive Expert Review for that stay.

The Club is a total waste for us as we much prefer dining out or using room service when we travel.

But you articulated something I have always suspected- at a Ritz Carlton the Club guests are “preferred”

bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.