Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...enovation-2197
Print Wikipost

St Regis Grand Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by ao40
We used SNAs to get a St Regis Suite (which is a full suite with separate rooms) last November. Without this they would have only upgraded to an Imperial room.
Not sure about that. I got a Plat upgrade to a St Regis Suite last June (the hotel was showing as sold out), without SNAs
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:36 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
St.Regis Rome = One of Best Choices in the City

The St. Regis Rome

Map| 5 Reviews | 100% Recommended

The St. Regis Rome

Via Vittorio Emanuele Orlando 3 Rome, IT I-00185

St.Regis Rome = One of Best Choices in the City (24 Photos)

The St. Regis Rome

We have now completed our trifecta of Italian St.Regis hotels in the last few months after staying in Florence, Venice, and now Rome so we can easily compare the three properties.  The quick takeaway is that in our experience Rome was the best for service, Venice was the best for the room hardware / view, and Florence was the best for food & beverage (including breakfast) plus room design.

The location of StR Rome is hard to beat: it’s only a 10-minute walk to Roma Termini station which allowed us to go on day trips during our stay without wasting time commuting to the train station.  The hotel is also walking distance to major tourist sites such as the Colosseum (25 minutes away) and also very close to the Repubblica metro station for people who prefer public transit rather than walking.  I had considered staying at Waldorf Astoria (in a lower price range) instead of StR, but the location of WA is far from everything, even the closest metro station is a 20-minute walk away in the middle of a residential neighborhood with nothing to see.  

Room

I booked the entry level room and with a special rate package I received an immediate confirmed upgrade to the deluxe room.  In part because of my excellent suite upgrade track record with Marriott since the Starwood integration, I have not seen much value in the Suite Night Awards - I usually receive suite upgrades anyway.  Generally speaking I am aware that some guests who used SNAs sometimes received upgrades beyond the junior suite as a result of using SNAs, therefore I gave it a try in StR Rome.  During our stay the hotel had low occupancy not only because it’s low season in March but also with the virus going around in the country the hotel was definitely not close to full.  I got upgraded to the first suite category as expected (called “St.Regis Suite Junior Suite”) - in retrospect it was probably not the wisest use of SNAs because I suspect as Marriott Ambassador Elite I would have received the suite upgrade regardless.  Because I was booked in a deluxe room and because I used SNAs during low occupancy but received “only” the entry level suite, it’s safe to say that this property will most likely not upgrade higher than this suite category as per the Marriott rules, which is different from our experience at StR Venice where we received a very generous upgrade to a Canal View Suite which is the 4th category of suites.  Anyway I am probably not maximizing the value of my SNAs very well and not just using those awards at the appropriate hotels, and this is another good example.  

Regarding the suite itself, it’s actually more like a standard suite despite the name “junior suite” because the living room is fully separated from the bedroom with a sliding door.  This room has been renovated recently and I liked the result, it had a soft color scheme with a local design (unlike StR Venice which was too generic).  The bathroom was a tad inferior to Venice but much better than our bathroom in Florence, and we had good water pressure in the shower in Rome.  Unlike our room in Florence and Venice, there were no views to speak of in Rome – we just saw the building in front despite being on the top floor.  Also the way windows are designed it is not helping natural light come into the room very easily so they probably chose the light color scheme wisely to avoid a feeling of darkness.  Soundproofing was not the best and we could hear our neighbor from the living room and it was notably different from StR Venice which has thick walls even within our own room where we could barely hear the shower from the living room but in Rome we could hear from other parts of our room very well even with doors closed. 

IMG_0088.jpegIMG_0089.jpegIMG_0090.jpegIMG_0092.jpeg1_IMG_0093.jpegIMG_0094.jpegIMG_0120.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast in Rome was nice particularly with the beautiful and quiet restaurant and superior service, but in terms of food offerings it fell a bit short of Florence which had more choices.  In Rome the hot dishes included standard fare such as ham, bacon, sausages, a daily rotation of veggies, pancakes, and a live omelet station.  Fruits were ok but not as varied and not as luxury as Florence and Venice, so overall not much stood out.  There was free flow Prosecco available like in Venice and Florence, and we could also order breakfast as room service as the Ambassador breakfast benefit which is nice, also like the other two Italian StR hotels.  

IMG_0103.jpegIMG_0104.jpegIMG_0105.jpegIMG_0106.jpegIMG_0107.jpegIMG_0108.jpegIMG_0109.jpegIMG_0110.jpegIMG_0111.jpegIMG_0278.jpeg

We ordered room service a couple of times and as expected it’s more expensive than local restaurants but not overly so for a hotel of this caliber.  While the prices were a bit high, it was tempered by the fact that portions were particularly generous relative to what we received outside the hotel.  Everything we ordered was delicious and higher quality than when we ate out, so in my opinion it was well worth the price premium especially for room service standards in any StR hotel.

Service

As mentioned above service in Rome was the best of the three StR hotels in Italy, both in the restaurant for breakfast but also from the butler team which was sometimes more visible than other StR for example we saw them greeting guests near the entrance to welcome people back after a day out and to keep in touch and ensure everybody has what they need. 

Upon departure we received a very thoughtful gift of two polo shirts with the appropriate size which fits both of us.  This kind of special touch is what builds loyalty and makes guests want to come back.

IMG_0294.jpeg

Common Spaces

Similar to the beautiful restaurant, other common spaces in the hotel look fabulous and very impressive.  

IMG_0100.jpegIMG_0112.jpegIMG_0113.jpegIMG_0121.jpegIMG_0279.jpeg

Gym

The gym was fairly small but equipment was in good quality and was not overly crowded when we went there.  

IMG_0277.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked without interruptions during our entire stay with speeds of about 15 Mbps although uploads were sometimes considerably slower.

Overall

Overall we had a fine stay without glaring weaknesses unlike Venice and Florence, and we enjoyed the suite.  The room was comfortable even if not overly wow such as our suite in Venice which had views.  Breakfast in Rome was good particularly the restaurant environment and the service was polished throughout.  We normally stay in chain hotels to maximize benefits and based on my observations, alternatives from other chains in Rome are not in the same league as StR.  Waldorf Astoria is considerably inferior given what I saw of the common areas (I stopped by to check it out), and the price reflects it.  The best from Accor in Rome (= Sofitel) is also not up to StR standards,, Hyatt is non-existent in Rome, Small Luxury Hotels (SLH) has some choices but none that seem to be on par with StR, and other Marriott choices are a notch or two below StR. All things considered I would not hesitate to go back to StR on our next visit in Rome and I can highly recommend it. 

St.Regis Rome = One of Best Choices in the City

Would you like to write a review on the The St. Regis Rome?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 21, 2021, 7:01 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Saw the departure gift in the most recent review. Really cool!

Anyone know of this hotel has branded stuffed animals?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:49 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
It's such a special hotel. Surprised they didn't offer you Prosecco or Champagne with breakfast.

You dodged a bullet with the WA. On our Great Tour of Europe we interspersed days by hotel pools to take a break from the sights. We had the StR book us a casaba at the WA and other than the location the hotel is a complete Zoo. Throngs of loud tourists arriving by mini van and no less than 50 people in the lobby (pre Covid). We witnessed the bell boys just yelling the flight numbers for people to take their transfers.

The pool has a pool of the old facade of the building and it's TV/phone antenna tower.

The StR, however, was spectacular in every way!
Old Oct 7, 2021, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just completed a four night stay. A mixed experience, overall a bit disappointing. Summary: Nice rooms and public spaces, inconsistent service, subpar fitness center, awesome house car, zero Ambassador recognition.

I was torn between Villa Spalletti Trivelli (an SLH property) where I enjoyed one of the best stays ever several years ago, and St. Regis. Villa Spalletti was nearly 300 euro more per night, with a relatively harsh 11 day cancel (compared to 24 hours for StR). So I went with StR, based in part on numerous reports in this thread of successful suite upgrades. Booked Superior Room and applied SNAs for St. Regis Suite about two months out. About a week before arrival, the suites disappeared from inventory and we did not clear on the first night so I expanded SNA choices to include the 1 BR Imperial Room, into which we promptly cleared the next day. I don't think we otherwise would have received any upgrade at all, as property was showing as sold out for two or three days prior to arrival.

On arrival we were checked in by an efficient but utterly charmless agent who provided the bare minimum service. Was offered 1000 points or breakfast, and naturally chose breakfast. There was otherwise no mention of Ambassador status - no welcome note, no amenity, nothing, despite my having reached out in advance to the so-called "Ambassador Service."

Room - 2nd floor with interior view - was fine. Just a large-ish (375 sq.ft.), well equipped hotel room. Newly refurbished. Outstanding feature is the bathroom, particularly the shower, which was awesome. Lots of outlets, silent and effective A/C.

There were an uncountable number of service errors. Housekeeping was particularly bad. Example: They would take the coffee cups, not replace them, and not replenish Illy capsules. Had to call down repeatedly for cups and capsules. Numerous glitches at breakfast, including having utensils taken away but not replaced ("excuse me, can I have a fork?"), and waiter consistently pulling disappearing act after taking initial beverage order. I was particularly annoyed that twice we had a party seated immediately next to us on the banquet (maybe 18" away) despite a literally empty dining room. Many staff seemed well meaning but poorly trained.

Breakfast was decent, with a wide selection of choices, though quality was uneven. Fruits were not always ripe and one morning the croissants were burnt. They completely messed up our room service breakfast order day of departure.

Fitness center is truly pathetic. A small windowless room with a single bench and some dumbbells, plus a number of cardio machines. (I'm looking at escape4's pics, and they have definitely removed a bunch of equipment, including one of the weight benches!)

We loved the house car, a restored, electricized Fiat 600 Multipla (the availability of which we found out about only by asking doorman - never mentioned at check-in), which is available on first-come, first-served basis.

Overall we had a great time in Rome, but I did regret choosing StR over Villa Spalletti. A completely different level experience, which in retrospect would have been well worth the extra 300 euro per night.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
<snip>Overall we had a great time in Rome, but I did regret choosing StR over Villa Spalletti. A completely different level experience, which in retrospect would have been well worth the extra 300 euro per night.
Thanks for taking the time for a thorough review of this property Kacee. We have been considering a stay but may look elsewhere.

Regards
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scubadu
Thanks for taking the time for a thorough review of this property Kacee. We have been considering a stay but may look elsewhere.
I suspect it's a better property at lower occupancy.

btw we moved on to PH Vienna and the contrast is quite startling. Not just the confirmed TSU to a Park Suite but the entire staff attitude and training level.
CLEguy and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I suspect it's a better property at lower occupancy.

btw we moved on to PH Vienna and the contrast is quite startling. Not just the confirmed TSU to a Park Suite but the entire staff attitude and training level.
It’s almost as though one program cares about guest experience more than another.
renila, Kacee and khabah like this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 10:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by CLEguy
It’s almost as though one program cares about guest experience more than another.
I've had service experiences that were night-and-day as an Explorist with Hyatt in the past year than I have as an Ambassador with Marriott. Globalist now, and it's been phenomenal; stopped into a few Marriott properties in Dubai a few weeks ago to ask about what Ambassador guests as myself can expect on property and was met with huffy, indifferent attitude. Yes, that's property-dependent, but combined with the absolute nonsense the general Ambassador service has become and the garbage corporate culture, I'm good.

Sorry to derail. Thanks for the review of this property, Kacee - hope you thoroughly enjoyed the stellar PH Vienna.

khabah
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Just completed a four night stay. A mixed experience, overall a bit disappointing. Summary: Nice rooms and public spaces, inconsistent service, subpar fitness center, awesome house car, zero Ambassador recognition.
I had a four-night stay at the property in October 2019. I don't think I posted a review here on FT (Although I did on TA). My room was beautiful as I was upgraded to a suite using some SNAs. Like you, I found some of the public areas lovely. The bar/restaurant area was particularly beautiful...especially at night. However, service was very very mixed. In some cases excellent and in other cases totally lacking. I also had the "disappearing waiter" one evening. I don't know if he up and quit or got sick, but I was ready to settle my bill and he was no-where to be found...and hadn't been for about 20 minutes. Finally I guessed at the value of my bill and just left cash on the table. Another issues was that I did the caviar service in the restaurant one evening and I was nonplussed with the experience. IMO, a caviar service is one of those things that you do right or you don't do it at all. Based on my experience there, they should not be doing it.

The hotel location is nice but I probably would not repeat on a future stay there. I didn't feel the property lived up to the St. Regis name based on the quality of service delivered.
Kacee likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
It's such a special hotel. Surprised they didn't offer you Prosecco or Champagne with breakfast. !
They did.
There was free flow Prosecco available like in Venice and Florence
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
Quick question about tipping.

my wife and I are from non-tipping countries (Brazil and South Korea).
We don't tip in our countries because the price already reflects the service (or already included as service)
However, whenever we are travelling to NA dominant travel locations, we have this uncomfortable pressure about tipping.
We were in Cancun JW Marriott last June and the bellman insisted on giving him tip and when I told him I only had 100s on me, he said he will gladly break for me.
Valet guy reluctant to turn away after giving the key and asking "Sir, do you have some money for me?"
I wanted to keep my 100s to exchange for Pesos, and I ended up with a bunch of small USD bills which we didnt need.

Anyways, do I need to tip @ st.regis Rome? butler and bellman?
If so, how much? will they be offended if I didnt?
Does anybody have experience not tipping in St regis around Europe?
I didn't tip in Asian St regis (Osaka, Bangkok, Bali) as it's not our culture. Outstanding service throughout and never demanding tips.

When I googled about tipping culture in Italy, says it's not expected or required to tip.
I really wish the hotel could just include this in the room rate and I dont have to worry and feel uncomfortable about tipping.
I do tip in US flat 20%, since it's the social understanding and for the strange staff wage system.
US/Canada people should only tip in their own countries and not spread this tipping culture all over the world. really.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
“We were in Cancun JW Marriott last June and the bellman insisted on giving him tip and when I told him I only had 100s on me, he said he will gladly break for me.
Valet guy reluctant to turn away after giving the key and asking "Sir, do you have some money for me?"
I wanted to keep my 100s to exchange for Pesos, and I ended up with a bunch of small USD bills which we didnt need.”

wow. Just wow.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 12:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by dingo
“We were in Cancun JW Marriott last June and the bellman insisted on giving him tip and when I told him I only had 100s on me, he said he will gladly break for me.
I wanted to keep my 100s to exchange for Pesos, and I ended up with a bunch of small USD bills which we didnt need.”

wow. Just wow.
True story. Avoid JW Marriott Cancun.
Whereas in Fairmont Mayakoba, we had a wonderful 7 days stay.
Bartenders were truly amazing, professional with fantastic hospitality.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by xrapidox
Quick question about tipping.

my wife and I are from non-tipping countries (Brazil and South Korea).
We don't tip in our countries because the price already reflects the service (or already included as service)
However, whenever we are travelling to NA dominant travel locations, we have this uncomfortable pressure about tipping.
We were in Cancun JW Marriott last June and the bellman insisted on giving him tip and when I told him I only had 100s on me, he said he will gladly break for me.
I wanted to keep my 100s to exchange for Pesos, and I ended up with a bunch of small USD bills which we didnt need.

Anyways, do I need to tip @ st.regis Rome? butler and bellman?
If so, how much? will they be offended if I didnt?
Does anybody have experience not tipping in St regis around Europe?
I didn't tip in Asian St regis (Osaka, Bangkok, Bali) as it's not our culture. Outstanding service throughout and never demanding tips.

When I googled about tipping culture in Italy, says it's not expected or required to tip.
I really wish the hotel could just include this in the room rate and I dont have to worry and feel uncomfortable about tipping.
I do tip in US flat 20%, since it's the social understanding and for the strange staff wage system.
US/Canada people should only tip in their own countries and not spread this tipping culture all over the world. really.
in Italy there isn’t any tipping culture. Right. It means at 90% of the hotels / restaurant nobody one cares if you tip (but if you do it of course it’s appreciated, but they don’t have any expectation)

normally I would say that 0.1% of Italian do tip, while a lot of foreigners do tip anyway

at 5 stars hotels or very high level restaurants there are some expectations more from the employees. It means that if you give 5€ to the porter for the luggages is enaugh and another 5/10€ to the concierge at the end of your stay, is also enaugh, as well as if you give 10€ to the waiter at the end of your dinner (if you spend 300€ for e.g) it’s enaugh

foreigners do tip much more …

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.