Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel, Austin, Texas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JW Marriott Hotel, Austin, Texas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Echoing much of what has been said - great property in a great location! New, beautiful, modern interiors. Staff was great. PLT upgrade to a corner room on the 32nd floor and for my birthday was given a $100 F&B credit!

The biggest pro for me though was the fact the concierge lounge is open on the weekends! This is now my go to hotel in Austin.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:04 pm

I also stayed here, for 2 nights during the iHeart Country festival. It was a nice stay, albeit a bit packed for the concert. The pool area was pretty neat, located on the 5th floor(iirc). It has a bar at the pool, and a nice 'green area' for just lounging. This was very nice back in April and May, probably not so nice in July and August.

The location definitely helps the hotel. All sorts of stores and eateries around. Anything from upscale III Forks to Gus's Fried Chicken are within a block or two. It is also really close to Town Lake, so you have a huge hiking/biking/gawking area at your disposal. Watching the SUP Yoga is a fun activity to pass the time.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Glad y'all enjoyed your visit.

Also note that, for good coffee, you can mosey up to 4th & Congress and pay a visit to Houndstooth.

--woodstock
Old Sep 3, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I have a room booked here for next weekend. (Friday and Saturday night) Just booked it yesterday. The rate was one of the better rates I had seen for all the dates in September and October when my friend was available to go down there with me. Today I learned there is a football game on that Saturday. I'm surprised that I got the rate I did with a game going on.

Anyway, looking forward to the stay. Last time I was in Austin was back in July last year. had dinner at Second Bar + Kitchen so I got to see the building under construction. Should be a good trip. Location is great. So many things to do around there.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I have a room booked here for next weekend. (Friday and Saturday night) Just booked it yesterday. The rate was one of the better rates I had seen for all the dates in September and October when my friend was available to go down there with me. Today I learned there is a football game on that Saturday. I'm surprised that I got the rate I did with a game going on.

Anyway, looking forward to the stay. Last time I was in Austin was back in July last year. had dinner at Second Bar + Kitchen so I got to see the building under construction. Should be a good trip. Location is great. So many things to do around there.
Why tease? What rate did you get?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:54 am

I originally booked this room: Skyline Room, Executive lounge access, Guest room, 1 King, Top floor. Today my reservation shows this room: View Room, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Queen, High floor. Is there any difference between the two for a Gold elite?
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by michael_v
I originally booked this room: Skyline Room, Executive lounge access, Guest room, 1 King, Top floor. Today my reservation shows this room: View Room, Guest room, 1 King or 2 Queen, High floor. Is there any difference between the two for a Gold elite?
Did you check the website to see if there's a price differential between the rooms - ie, was your Skyline room more expensive than the View room? If so, you should get the price difference back.

In terms of lounge access, you get it as a Gold so for that it doesn't matter on room type.

Cheers.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Did you check the website to see if there's a price differential between the rooms - ie, was your Skyline room more expensive than the View room? If so, you should get the price difference back.

In terms of lounge access, you get it as a Gold so for that it doesn't matter on room type.

Cheers.
The Skyline room was the only one available at the time of booking.

By "top floor", do they mean the very top floor or just a high floor?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by michael_v
The Skyline room was the only one available at the time of booking.

By "top floor", do they mean the very top floor or just a high floor?
My guess (and it's only a guess) is since they differentiate btwn top floor & high floor they mean the top floor for the Skyline room & high floor for the View room.

Picking an arbitrary date, the Skyline room is $40 more than the View room which may be the exec lounge access folded into the price.

Can you plug in your dates to see if the two rooms are now available, & what the price is? You don't want to pay $40 more for Skyline if you're getting View, especially since you have lounge access anyway.

Also, did you keep the email confirmation showing the Skyline ressie? You could also call the hotel directly & ask why, if you booked the Skyline, you've now been given the View room.

Cheers.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:25 pm

My guess (and it's only a guess) is since they differentiate btwn top floor & high floor they mean the top floor for the Skyline room & high floor for the View room.

Picking an arbitrary date, the Skyline room is $40 more than the View room which may be the exec lounge access folded into the price.

Can you plug in your dates to see if the two rooms are now available, & what the price is? You don't want to pay $40 more for Skyline if you're getting View, especially since you have lounge access anyway.

Also, did you keep the email confirmation showing the Skyline ressie? You could also call the hotel directly & ask why, if you booked the Skyline, you've now been given the View room.

Cheers.
I have just checked and the View room is no longer available for my dates. I have the email with Skyline room printed out and will take my chances at check-in, which will be past midnight. That may work in my favor, or may not.

Edit to add: the description for the Skyline room says "THE top floor", therefore I think there is no more confusion on what floor this room should be.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Ok stay

I try to avoid Marriott as much as possible, but this hotel seemed new and contemporary. Also decent use of points vs current rate.

They didn't ask for the Platinum Amenity choice at check-in, so after conferring with friends I called for the manager who was honest and forthcoming about the $100 cash due. That was nice.

Lounge was very good. Full espresso machine, self-serve fridges of beverages throughout the lounge helped keep things from getting jammed in any one area. Good breakfast too.

Impressed by the F&B venues in the hotel, actual local cuisine, not just a Champions Sports Bar that so many boring Marriotts have.

What annoys me about Marriott is the lack of upgrade for Platinum members. I know they had better rooms available, but all they did was put me on a higher floor.

And Aromatherapy Associates soaps are wonderful, but this is clearly a licensed product distributed by the Sysco institutional supply company and they are made in CHINA.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Seems like this hotel is getting pretty good reviews. Are they giving any comp to elites since their pool and roof deck is closed?

Parking seems awfully expensive. Any suggestions nearby?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney

And Aromatherapy Associates soaps are wonderful, but this is clearly a licensed product distributed by the Sysco institutional supply company and they are made in CHINA.
Thanks for the review - and congrats on getting the $100 PAG Guarantee payout. My understanding is that SPG doesn't offer that.

The AA is the only part of your review I would quibble w/. Sounds like your beef should be w/ AA for licensing their product, knowing it was going to be made in China vs. the various hotel chains (not just Marriott) that offer it. The overall product seems to get good reviews. Is there a problem you have w/ it being made in China vs. the UK, where the product originated?

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Seems like this hotel is getting pretty good reviews. Are they giving any comp to elites since their pool and roof deck is closed?
Not to quibble w/ the question too much, but is there a reason elites should get compensation vs. non-elite guests if the pool/roof deck is closed? If the question had been should a discount/comp be available to any guest I wouldn't be asking.

And not to ask the obvious, but what did the hotel say when you called them to ask your question?

Cheers.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Not to quibble w/ the question too much, but is there a reason elites should get compensation vs. non-elite guests if the pool/roof deck is closed? If the question had been should a discount/comp be available to any guest I wouldn't be asking.

And not to ask the obvious, but what did the hotel say when you called them to ask your question?

Cheers.
Fair point. Should anyone be getting a comp? I didn't ask the hotel. Honestly, I wouldn't fight over it but if they were handing out freebies, I'll take 'em.

Looks like a good property though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.