Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Méridien Thimphu, Bhutan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
The pre-opening thread can be found at Reload this Page Le Méridien Thimphu, Bhutan - First Starwood Hotel in Bhutan - Opening Dec 2014

Tourist Tariff on Applicable Reservations

For New Reservations

Per government law set by the Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB), a tourist tariff will be levied on guests from all countries except India, Bangladesh, and the Maldives. This tariff, which is not included in the hotel’s room rates, is valid throughout the year.

This mandatory tourist tariff can be arranged through the hotel’s partnered travel agency at the following discounted rates:
  • A booking for one guest: 170 USD per person per night
  • A booking for two guests: 165 USD per person per night
  • A booking for three or more guests: 160 USD per person per night

In addition, a one-time visa fee of 40 USD per person will also be levied.

The tourist tariff offered includes the following services and charges, which are handled by the hotel’s partnered travel agency:
  • Roundtrip airport transfer
  • Daily sightseeing with an English-speaking guide
  • All applicable government taxes
  • All museum and monument fees

For Cancelling an Existing Reservation with a Paid Tourist Tariff

If a guest cancels a reservation after paying the hotel’s partnered travel agency for the tourist tariff, the agency will impose a cancellation penalty based on laws set by the Tourism Council of Bhutan (TCB). This penalty amount is based on the tourist tariff rate set by the TCB—250 USD per day from March to May and from September to November, and 200 USD per day from June to August and from December to February—as the agency would need to deposit the prerequisite amount directly to the government body.

Per TCB laws, the following penalties are based on how much advance notice is given for a cancellation:
  • 30 or more days before an arrival date: No charge
  • 21 to 29 days before: 10% of total amount
  • 14 to 20 days before: 15% of total amount
  • 7 to 13 days before: 30% of total amount
  • Less than 7 days before, or without notice: 50% of total amount
  • No-show, or after arrival: 100% of total amount

For more information or assistance regarding this tariff, please contact the hotel’s reservations team at lemeridien.thimphu at lemeridien.com or at (975)(2) 337833.

Credit/Debit Card Policy

At or before check-in, the entire amount for a guest’s stay—including room rates and all applicable taxes—will be charged to the credit card that has been provided to guarantee the reservation. Per national policy, once an amount has been charged to a credit card, partial or full refunds cannot be charged back.

If an amount needs to be refunded, it will be transferred to the guest’s or company’s savings account via a real-time gross settlement (RTGS) transfer, which requires the following details:

Account name
Account number
Bank name
Bank branch address
SWIFT / IFSC code

Smoking Policy

As mandated by the laws of the Kingdom of Bhutan, all guest rooms and public spaces are 100% non-smoking.

Temporary Pool Closure Until July 1, 2015

Until July 1, 2015, the swimming pool will be unavailable due to a maintenance and upgrade project. Please contact the hotel for further information.
Print Wikipost

Le Méridien Thimphu, Bhutan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
So how does this property work for those of us who want to redeem points? Do we pay the property the mandatory tourist tariff on top (but the rates are $0). Is this mandatory tourist tariff the same as the SDF? https://www.dailybhutan.com/article/...sdf-to-200-usd Or is it in addition?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 1:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So how does this property work for those of us who want to redeem points? Do we pay the property the mandatory tourist tariff on top (but the rates are $0). Is this mandatory tourist tariff the same as the SDF? https://www.dailybhutan.com/article/...sdf-to-200-usd Or is it in addition?
I don't remember the details, but I think I inquired about this with my tour operator, and it's somehow doable. I think the way you've described it may be correct. But your tour operator should know. I did book the rooms both at this property and Paro myself when I went, so it may be as simple as letting the operator know this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Any recent stay reports?

Hi - planning for a trip in summer/fall later this year. Any recent experiences?
Expatriate likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:47 am

Now that the Mandatory Daily Spend (varying by season, including $65 to SDF) method replaced by $200/day to SDF in any season, then would expect more visitors during the prime months (seasons).
1. Any data on this?

Article says tour operator / guide not mandatory, nor is the category of hotel (hotel not mandatory).
2. Anyone gone without tour operator/guide? How easy/difficult to find off-road vehicles for rent or with driver? Driver as combo of driving + small amount of guiding?

3. Accommodation. Anyone bring a tent, flexibility to choose your own spot to wake up to, for a few nights mixed with other nights at hotels or at homes of villagers ?

Originally Posted by metalblaze
Hi - planning for a trip in summer/fall later this year. Any recent experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.