FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1628137-marriott-marquis-marina-san-diego-master-thread.html)

Kacee Jan 19, 2021 7:39 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 32978673)
Well, the Marriott Gaslamp Quarter certainly is "close to luxury", certainly moreso than any other downtown property in terms of customer service.

It's not close to luxury. It's a domestic Marriott, and a rather tired hard product at that.

moosejaw99 Jan 19, 2021 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32979379)
It's not close to luxury. It's a domestic Marriott, and a rather tired hard product at that.

Bummer that with so many choices I can't find a good fit.

DJ_Iceman Jan 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32979379)

We'll have to agree to disagree. The universally awesome treatment I've gotten from the staff at that hotel place it firmly in Ritz-Carlton territory, which I consider "close to luxury". And there's been nothing tired about the hard product that I've noticed, from the welcoming lobby to the well-designed and well-maintained rooms. And how many other domestic Marriotts (don't know why you see that as an insult, by the way) have one of the best bars in town on their roof?

Duck1981 Jan 24, 2021 8:25 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 32980669)
We'll have to agree to disagree. The universally awesome treatment I've gotten from the staff at that hotel place it firmly in Ritz-Carlton territory, which I consider "close to luxury". And there's been nothing tired about the hard product that I've noticed, from the welcoming lobby to the well-designed and well-maintained rooms. And how many other domestic Marriotts (don't know why you see that as an insult, by the way) have one of the best bars in town on their roof?

I've stayed there once for business and agree staff was very friendly. I actually quite enjoyed the buzz of the hotel; it hasn't the most impressive pool though and as far as I remember my room was rather dated (good views though). Would go back without a doubt, much better then the overly boring Ren in the Gaslamp quarter (or maybe it was a Westin - can't remember).

Kacee Jan 24, 2021 9:16 am

Originally Posted by moosejaw99 (Post 32980318)
Bummer that with so many choices I can't find a good fit.

San Diego is just not a great hotel town. This is one reason people are pretty excited about the three new Hyatt offerings in North County. After many nights at this property (MMSD), I bailed when they started charging a destination fee and eventually settled on Springhill Suites Bayside as my favorite for business stays - it ticks all the basic boxes at a reasonable price, no destination fee. Lately I've been staying at HR Mission Bay for leisure, though the property is not without its issues. It's a very good deal using Hyatt points with their current promo (no resort fee, free parking).

SummitBars Jan 24, 2021 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32990988)
San Diego is just not a great hotel town. This is one reason people are pretty excited about the three new Hyatt offerings in North County. After many nights at this property (MMSD), I bailed when they started charging a destination fee and eventually settled on Springhill Suites Bayside as my favorite for business stays - it ticks all the basic boxes at a reasonable price, no destination fee. Lately I've been staying at HR Mission Bay for leisure, though the property is not without its issues. It's a very good deal using Hyatt points with their current promo (no resort fee, free parking).

The Marquis is a great property before covid. Near Gas Lamp District, awesome pool and fitness center, good food choices. Destination Fee can get waived for Titaniums and Ambassadors if you ask for a high level mgr. There are always exceptions. Regardless, claiming a SpringHill Suites is better than a Marquis all because you didn't like a destination fee is ridiculous.

Kacee Jan 24, 2021 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by SummitBars (Post 32991666)
The Marquis is a great property before covid. Near Gas Lamp District, awesome pool and fitness center, good food choices. Destination Fee can get waived for Titaniums and Ambassadors if you ask for a high level mgr. There are always exceptions. Regardless, claiming a SpringHill Suites is better than a Marquis all because you didn't like a destination fee is ridiculous.

No, that was the final straw. Whether it can be waived or not is not the point (particularly since I was staying on OPM). The perennially overcrowded lounge and having to fight every stay for a decent room as a Titanium and very frequent guest were what brought me to the edge.

MMSD is a very large convention property, with precisely that level of service. Calling it "great" suggests a sadly limited frame of reference.

The Springhill Suites Bayside is a fantastic option for a limited service property - really nice, quiet, rooms, accommodating service, great location. Most who know San Diego would much prefer to be close to Little Italy than the Gaslamp and the tourist trap they call Mariner's Village.

Tanic Jan 25, 2021 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 32991973)
The perennially overcrowded lounge

In 25 years of frequenting Marriott hotels, this property is only one of two where I have had to wait in a queue to enter the lounge.

hindolio May 8, 2021 1:15 pm

Family is considering a short, stay in the San Diego area and would appreciate any suggestions! Any positive or negatives on recent stays at the Marquis? I understand Marriott benefits are difficult to come by, but how is the pool (reservations required?), food offerings, upgrades for Platinum? Busy during the week at all? Much thanks!

mikebor May 8, 2021 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by hindolio (Post 33236482)
Family is considering a short, stay in the San Diego area and would appreciate any suggestions! Any positive or negatives on recent stays at the Marquis? I understand Marriott benefits are difficult to come by, but how is the pool (reservations required?), food offerings, upgrades for Platinum? Busy during the week at all? Much thanks!

Precovid I loved the hotel. I called the other day and their huge fitness center is still closed(which makes absolutely no sense at this point). Lounge is closed, Marina Kitchen restaurant is closed. Pool is open. I would look elsewhere as this hotel right now is a shell of itself.

mikebor May 8, 2021 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by hindolio (Post 33236482)

Plus they still might even be charging their resort fee which would be a total joke.

Kacee May 9, 2021 6:51 am

Originally Posted by mikebor (Post 33237416)
Precovid I loved the hotel. I called the other day and their huge fitness center is still closed(which makes absolutely no sense at this point). Lounge is closed, Marina Kitchen restaurant is closed. Pool is open. I would look elsewhere as this hotel right now is a shell of itself.

It's a convention property and there are no conventions.

hindolio May 9, 2021 7:50 pm

Thanks guys! You are as usual on top of things. I will look elsewhere for now.

Traveler Dave Jul 13, 2021 2:47 pm

Anyone have a local front desk number? Looking to ask about connecting rooms. Not wanting the generic 800# “support”

Thanks
TD

ElevatorEnthusiast Jul 13, 2021 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave (Post 33404856)
Anyone have a local front desk number? Looking to ask about connecting rooms. Not wanting the generic 800# “support”

Thanks
TD

The local phone number should always be on the hotel's home page. Go through the phone menu until you get to Operator, Guest Services, or Front Desk (probably the last option) - don't select Reservations. For the MM San Diego, the main number listed is +1 619-234-1500.