FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1628137-marriott-marquis-marina-san-diego-master-thread.html)

linsj Nov 12, 2014 10:49 am

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego [Master Thread]

Had a one-night stay here this week as a gold.

Check-in has a separate area for elite members. I arrived before noon on a day that lots of people were coming for a convention. With three people working the elite desk, check-in went quickly, and I was pleased to be able to get into my room that early. A man was distributing cold bottles of water to us in that area.

Was upgraded to a high room with a view of the marina, Coronado Island, and sunset. The king room was large with a mini refrigerator and love seat. Bathroom was also large with a shower big enough for two people.

Entry to the concierge lounge is coded on key card. Evening hors-d'oeuvres were substantial enough for a light supper, saving me money. Breakfast included scrambled eggs and sausage, as well as breads, muffins, cut and whole fruit, juices, and coffee. Cups and lids next to the pop machine make taking a drink to go convenient. The lounge was not crowded either time I was there.

USA Today was delivered to my door in the morning. Free faster internet (for elites) was, indeed, fast with no connection dropping.

The location is good for walking around the marina. Seaport Village next door has plenty of restaurants and stores. I had a sea bass dinner at the Edgewater Grill for under $20 that was fabulous.

Quick, easy walk to Coronado ferry from here, even with a suitcase.

joshua362 Nov 12, 2014 11:07 am

This property treats elites very well during my 3 convention stays there over the last 7 years. Lounge is adequate, only ding was cutting off breakfast at 9.

boss315 Nov 12, 2014 11:35 am

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 23831542)
This property treats elites very well during my 3 convention stays there over the last 7 years. Lounge is adequate, only ding was cutting off breakfast at 9.

agreed.the early bfast cutoff is sort of strange in a resort and convention town! I find that elites are treated very weel in comparison to other SD properties...stay here 10-12 times a year.

sanfran8080 Nov 14, 2014 8:12 am

Marriott Marquis at the Marina, San Diego

Place has a GREAT pool. The drinks r very pricey but you will love the view.

fivevsone Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

We always sit around the firepits at night. My favorite place to stay in SD.

lucycan Nov 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Several threads on this topic in this forum. I'm not sure I'd say they treat Plats "great" but every once in a while I get an upgrade.

DrinkingCoffee Jun 9, 2015 4:09 pm

Staying there this weekend. I hope this is a "they treat Plats great" visit!

escapefromphl Jun 9, 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by DrinkingCoffee (Post 24944900)
Staying there this weekend. I hope this is a "they treat Plats great" visit!

Having stayed at both properties more than once, my experience is they treat Plats much better down the road at the San Diego Marriott Gaslamp Quarter.

darthbimmer Jun 9, 2015 9:46 pm

I've stayed at the Marquis a few times on trips to San Diego. It's tough because their price is often too far above other hotels in the area to justify with my employer. Or my wife. ;) But IMO some price premium is deserved. The front desk staff have impressed me every time I've visited. The rooms are sizable, and as a Plat they've always given me an upgrade to a high room with a balcony. Last time I was there I scored an upgrade to an amazing suite. I would always pick this property over the Marriott Gaslamp (which I've also stayed at a few times) unless the latter were substantially cheaper.

DJ_Iceman Jun 9, 2015 10:38 pm

I just have to throw in my two cents that the Gaslamp Marriott has been a superior property for me, including my elite upgrades. I've always felt that the Marina Marriott is a typical (though admittedly well-run) huge Marriott, while the Gaslamp is a hidden gem in the Marriott system--a boutique-type hotel that treats me well, checks all the boxes and then some, and is significantly smaller than the behemoth just down the street. I love the trendy rooftop bar, have had countless REALLY good meals in the lobby restaurant, and just get treated really well every time I stay.

darthbimmer Jun 11, 2015 12:36 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 24946416)
I just have to throw in my two cents that the Gaslamp Marriott has been a superior property for me, including my elite upgrades. I've always felt that the Marina Marriott is a typical (though admittedly well-run) huge Marriott, while the Gaslamp is a hidden gem in the Marriott system--a boutique-type hotel that treats me well, checks all the boxes and then some, and is significantly smaller than the behemoth just down the street. I love the trendy rooftop bar, have had countless REALLY good meals in the lobby restaurant, and just get treated really well every time I stay.

Wow. My stays there have all been "meh". Meh food, meh service, meh upgrades. Evidently I've been doing it wrong! Any tips for how to get the best from the Marriott Gaslamp?

sanfran8080 Jun 11, 2015 9:02 am

The Gaslamp doesn't have a pool and the Marquis have a resort style one... Let's just say the atmosphere is a lot better on the eyes.

danola Jun 12, 2015 10:42 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 24952569)
Wow. My stays there have all been "meh". Meh food, meh service, meh upgrades. Evidently I've been doing it wrong! Any tips for how to get the best from the Marriott Gaslamp?

Finally, somebody that has doubts about this place, I have stayed as a Silver, Gold and Platinum and was treated better as a Silver when you expect nothing and get something than as a Platinum when you expect something and get nothing. Average room, great views, very crowded Lounge with hardly a place to sit. It's a great property that needs to recognize who butters their bread.

jed012788 Jun 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by danola (Post 24960373)
It's a great property that needs to recognize who butters their bread.

I think it does recognize who butters its bread. Therefore, they don't fawn over "elites."

(I'm a platinum, and the Gaslamp is one of my favorite domestic properties in the system. I also don't make judgments based on "elite" benefits.)

zippy the pinhead Jun 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Stayed here as a Gold, for a conference. First time at this property.

They put me in the South Tower on a high floor with a city view. Happily I brought ear plugs, as I tend to sleep lightly and there is constant noise from the city streets (rail crossing claxon, cars, sirens) which can be sleep-imparing. There is construction in progress right next to the North Tower. It is noisy, but I have not heard it from the room.

I came down here on the Amtrak, so I can't speak to parking.

Regarding the beer, the Marina Kitchen Restaurant & Bar had Go To IPA (Stone) and Sculpin IPA (Ballast Point), so I can't complain about that.

Concierge Lounge (24th floor, South Tower) has iffy appetizer foods-- one night, Chicken Gyoza, cheese, crackers, bread; another, Beef Empanadas, cheese, crackers, bread-- but beautiful views of the harbor. I sat looking at sunsets, enjoying the view. The Reagan (CVN 76) and a couple other sizable ships are currently in port. The lounge was crowded when I was there, but lots of staff were constantly patrolling, picking up plates, etc. The best part of the lounge experience is definitely the view.

Regarding restaurants, I did a couple of meals at Roy's (adjacent to the hotel pool). Decent food, if not pricey. Lousy beer list. I came down with a fresh pint of Go To and a hostess told me that I needed to finish it immediately. I politely demurred and had it with my meal anyway. It seemed to me that they should be more polite in light of their prices.

Concierge Breakfast is being run in the lobby of the North Tower. I'd say it is comparable to the free breakfast you get many places... Embassy Suites, et al. After trying it once I went out for breakfast ever after.

A positive could be the proximity to the Gaslamp Quarter, if that appeals to you. Many restaurants within walking distance.

VickiSoCal Jun 18, 2015 11:01 pm

If I recall correctly the Roy's prices are similar to other, non-hotel affiliated Roy's. And they are not BYOB type places.

DJ_Iceman Jun 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Not really! My first stay there (admittedly as a Platinum Premier), when I checked in they noted my status and upgraded me to their largest suite on the top floor. Since then I've just requested the same when my virtual concierge e-mail comes in, and have always gotten it. As for Soleil@k, food is so subjective but I have to tell you that it's probably my favorite Marriott breakfast worldwide, and I've never had a bad dinner there either. Both the wine and beer lists are impressive. And our service has always been Ritz-Carlton caliber: attentive but not overbearing, professional, knowledgeable, friendly, and prompt.

As for tips... smile? Be friendly? I don't know--I just have gotten stellar treatment at this Marriott every single time, which has to be approaching 20 stays now over the past several years.

chuzzlewit Aug 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Just spent 2 nights there (Marquis) and really felt like the concierge lounge was more like a cattle call than something pleasant.
Arrived around 4pm Sunday and happy to see the sign saying the lounge would open at 5pm for hors d'oeurves at 5:30, so far so good, but that's about where it ended. We went at 5:15pm, and couldn't even open the door since the line for nothing was already queued up halfway across the lounge with nearly every table taken. We turned left and found one remaining available table and sat there thinking we'd wait for the food to be put out and the line to subside. Well that never happened, there was a constant stream of people entering and standing in line since there were no seats. By 6:15 some of us finally stood in the line, and the only thing left was some moldy cheese and crackers (all fruit was gone). Basically a worthless frustrating experience. Next morning there was a sign out saying the Concierge breakfast was downstairs in the north tower ballroom. Got to the ballroom door and the lady asked our name. Since she'd couldn't find it, I stepped over to help and couldn't believe the list was seriously at least 400-500 other "elites"! 3 pages long, small font. In fact their were 4 parties with our same last name (we have a common last name but wow). Basically what seats weren't occupied had dirty empty dishes and dirty tableclothes. A steady stream of "elites" filed through while we managed to snag a couple of pcs of fruit and some watery scrambled eggs. It was truly a fiasco, so bad in fact we skipped the free breakfast the next day and just checked out early. I'd say the CL and perks wasn't worth any more the a tiny boost to a person's self esteem thinking they are getting something for free.
All this for 35K points a night. :td::td: I recently stayed at a 10K pts per night Townplace that was actually much better.

sanfran8080 Aug 19, 2015 7:42 pm

A typical day at the Marquis

willryu Aug 21, 2015 1:40 am

Originally Posted by chuzzlewit (Post 25296463)
Just spent 2 nights there (Marquis) and really felt like the concierge lounge was more like a cattle call than something pleasant.
Arrived around 4pm Sunday and happy to see the sign saying the lounge would open at 5pm for hors d'oeurves at 5:30, so far so good, but that's about where it ended. We went at 5:15pm, and couldn't even open the door since the line for nothing was already queued up halfway across the lounge with nearly every table taken. We turned left and found one remaining available table and sat there thinking we'd wait for the food to be put out and the line to subside. Well that never happened, there was a constant stream of people entering and standing in line since there were no seats. By 6:15 some of us finally stood in the line, and the only thing left was some moldy cheese and crackers (all fruit was gone). Basically a worthless frustrating experience. Next morning there was a sign out saying the Concierge breakfast was downstairs in the north tower ballroom. Got to the ballroom door and the lady asked our name. Since she'd couldn't find it, I stepped over to help and couldn't believe the list was seriously at least 400-500 other "elites"! 3 pages long, small font. In fact their were 4 parties with our same last name (we have a common last name but wow). Basically what seats weren't occupied had dirty empty dishes and dirty tableclothes. A steady stream of "elites" filed through while we managed to snag a couple of pcs of fruit and some watery scrambled eggs. It was truly a fiasco, so bad in fact we skipped the free breakfast the next day and just checked out early. I'd say the CL and perks wasn't worth any more the a tiny boost to a person's self esteem thinking they are getting something for free.
All this for 35K points a night. :td::td: I recently stayed at a 10K pts per night Townplace that was actually much better.

This was my experience as well. The lounge was really a terribly chaotic experience, filled with people trying to eat their way to a free dinner. "Elite" breakfast was held in a conference space with no widows and round conference dinner tables. Food was mediocre. Perhaps the saving grace was the fresh cut fruit. Really a poor experience. Lots to like about the hotel in general (walks on the Marina, close to conference center, etc) but the benefits for elites are poor in my opinion.

chuzzlewit Aug 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Agree the fresh fruit was crisp and fresh, but that is pretty consistent wherever you are. The going internet rate for the concierge level was $399 those nights, I'd be pretty disappointed honestly if I had paid much more than $100 (considering the parking fee and taxes, etc). Plus I'm pretty sure most of the elevators were broken, we got the same one 95% of the time, spent probably ~an hour over a day and a half waiting for and riding the same dumb elevator stopping on almost every floor. Oh well Marriott marquis, you've devalued your rewards almost to the level of Hilton which I've already completely given up on a few years ago.

DJ_Iceman Aug 22, 2015 9:42 am

None of those things are problems at the Gaslamp Marriott!

daberlin Aug 23, 2015 10:40 am

No joke, this MM Marina room we are in right now is by far the best in 20 years with Marriott (and I've been in alot of suites all over the world with them). Laying in bed right now wishing I could extend a few more days in room 2540 at the MM Marina; been here for the past three nights. South Tower Presidential Suite. Suite spans 2 floors with an enclosed teakwood staircase. Across all the different rooms - 5 flat screen tvs (two additional in the master bath mirrors), 7 seats at the bar/lounge adjacent to the balcony, dining room for 10, 2 separate sitting rooms one large, one small, an office, balcony with seats for 6, huge rain shower in master bath, soaker/jet tub with windows overlooking the bay. Whine all you want about the executive lounge. If I need a bagel, I'll go to starbucks. This hotel has been great - far better than I was ever treated at Gaslamp. It's good (and truly grateful) to be Platinum.

Eujeanie Aug 23, 2015 5:07 pm

What are the options for breakfast at the Marina if you do not want to go the CL route? Starbucks? Full buffet? Nice non-descript place to order bacon and eggs?

CL does not sound like a fun experience.

zippy the pinhead Aug 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 25316277)
What are the options for breakfast at the Marina if you do not want to go the CL route? Starbucks? Full buffet? Nice non-descript place to order bacon and eggs?

There is a Pancake House restaurant within walking distance. Not an "Original Pancake House," but owned by someone else. Still, what I had was decent, though you ought to go early if you don't care to stand in line.

dd992emo Aug 23, 2015 6:26 pm

There is a Broken Yolk in the Gaslamp, about a 7 minute walk from the Marquis.

sanfran8080 Aug 24, 2015 7:25 am

Just call a manager and if ur a a platinum they will cough up some points. It's an ongoing problem. The design of the CL is a constant problem and I'm sure they r aware of it.

SkiAdcock Aug 24, 2015 8:01 am

Originally Posted by daberlin (Post 25314809)
No joke, this MM Marina room we are in right now is by far the best in 20 years with Marriott (and I've been in alot of suites all over the world with them). Laying in bed right now wishing I could extend a few more days in room 2540 at the MM Marina; been here for the past three nights. South Tower Presidential Suite. Suite spans 2 floors with an enclosed teakwood staircase. Across all the different rooms - 5 flat screen tvs (two additional in the master bath mirrors), 7 seats at the bar/lounge adjacent to the balcony, dining room for 10, 2 separate sitting rooms one large, one small, an office, balcony with seats for 6, huge rain shower in master bath, soaker/jet tub with windows overlooking the bay. Whine all you want about the executive lounge. If I need a bagel, I'll go to starbucks. This hotel has been great - far better than I was ever treated at Gaslamp. It's good (and truly grateful) to be Platinum.

Well if it was the norm for folk to get upgraded to the Prez Suite they probably wouldn't complain too much about the exec lounge either. But it's not the norm - and the exec lounge situation is a problem, so complaints are valid.

Cheers.

chuzzlewit Aug 25, 2015 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 25318895)
Well if it was the norm for folk to get upgraded to the Prez Suite they probably wouldn't complain too much about the exec lounge either. But it's not the norm - and the exec lounge situation is a problem, so complaints are valid.

Cheers.

Unless your last name happens to be Obama, most elites did not get upgraded to the Prez Suite and are stuck in at most what would be considered an average room with a good view. The normal CL rooms are actually probably some of the smallest I have ever stayed in, matching the tiny parking spaces in the completely inadequate parking garage the Marquis runs. When it fills to capacity which is pretty much every afternoon, they just stick out a "No Parking" sign which creates havoc for those who can't figure out to park in the adjacent convention center lot, and try to back out against the flow of traffic. Sorry, but this hotel just isn't worth all the hassles. A couple of times while waiting in the elite check in line, I noticed the line for regular folks was actually non-existent.

willryu Aug 25, 2015 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 25316277)

The first floor restaurant, Marina Kitchen, was fine for dinner. I'm assuming they have much better quality breakfast options compared to the CL.

There is Starbucks in the hotel, but the line can be long. There is a "quick stop" type of deli-like shop that probably has breakfast items as well (but I'm not sure).

Eujeanie Aug 26, 2015 1:08 am

We're only staying 2 nights and like to stay on-site for breakfast so Starbucks and the Marina Kitchen sound fine. And glad to know about the parking situation, too, glad we have valet parking as part of a package we booked.

chuzzlewit Aug 26, 2015 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 25328998)
We're only staying 2 nights and like to stay on-site for breakfast so Starbucks and the Marina Kitchen sound fine. And glad to know about the parking situation, too, glad we have valet parking as part of a package we booked.

Hate to tell you, but unless you trust someone else to carefully park your car more than yourself in a very confined narrow dim-lit space, the valets are battling for the exact same tiny spaces, with about 8 ft to back up before hitting the concrete wall, with cross traffic going both ways (and the valets running all around). Only difference is they roll down your window and yell to some guy sitting in a little booth to open up their parking exit swingarm, self-parks have to drive the other way and exit over by the Hilton by Petco, thus the cross traffic in a narrow lane designed for one way traffic (and not F350's). They really should convert the whole thing to all valet. In any event I'd take pictures of your whole car before you valet it there knowing the parking conditions they will be facing, plus the fact that us self park cheapskates looking to save $4 will be backing in our Suburbans 12inches on either side of your valeted car.

Eujeanie Aug 27, 2015 1:48 am

Great. I'll be sure to pick a beater from the rental car lot.

holocker Aug 27, 2015 10:59 am

Previous stays here have been great, but have not stayed in about 2 years. I will be staying next week for 1 night for my wife's 60th birthday. Will see how things go. Booked a AAA package that includes valet parking and a Bay View Room. I was thinking of calling a day ahead of time to see if I can get an upgrade. Once had a great corner room that was larger than normal with a view of the bay and Coronado.

Eujeanie Aug 27, 2015 11:29 am

That's the same AAA deal I got, holocker, I'll be very interested in your experience. It was even better than the Senior rate.

Happy Birthday to your wife!

chuzzlewit Aug 27, 2015 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie (Post 25334402)
Great. I'll be sure to pick a beater from the rental car lot.

Hope you're not renting from National / Alamo at the airport. Back in 2010 I rented from there a few times, and subsequently my profile for expedited rentals was used for a very extended rental / theft. Took me over a year to semi-clear up through the police and Alamo's joke of a fraud department. About a year later I received a letter permanently barring me from ever renting from Alamo again since I did a chargeback on the charges for the stolen car.

joshua362 Aug 29, 2015 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by chuzzlewit (Post 25340171)
Hope you're not renting from National / Alamo at the airport. Back in 2010 I rented from there a few times, and subsequently my profile for expedited rentals was used for a very extended rental / theft. Took me over a year to semi-clear up through the police and Alamo's joke of a fraud department. About a year later I received a letter permanently barring me from ever renting from Alamo again since I did a chargeback on the charges for the stolen car.

Wow! I wonder if that was the fault of the local outlet, I know dealing with National corporate can be a bit difficult until you make some threats or pushbacks (over charges, extra days tacked on, etc.). I only say because in 2010 I asked someone at this lot if I could be complementary upgraded to a convertible and a manager ran around and around until he found one for me at no extra cost for an entire week!

Eujeanie Aug 29, 2015 5:48 pm

chuzzlewit, something similar happened to me with Thrifty in Tampa...returned the car, went home, 2 weeks later got a nasty phone message that we had NOT returned the car, they would pursue criminal car theft charges against us, but "if you think you have received this message in error", go on-line with all your receipt numbers, etc., which I did, also called several times...FINALLY they admitted that "Tampa had been slow processing their paperwork" - ...? You treat me like a criminal because YOU were slow?

But in San Diego, again with Thrifty, rented a "compact" and was given a Chevy Spark, told "that WAS the compact car" - I asked then what the heck is the Economy...was given a nonsensical answer but basically told "tough, that is our compact"...

So no car rental company has the corner on being A-H's.

In San Diego this time I've rented through Costco with a Budget car, can't wait to see what disasters befall this one.

holocker Sep 2, 2015 8:40 pm

Just completed my 1 night stay here and will not return due to the horrendous parking situation. On the side where the self parking lot was they are doing an expansion, so the self parking is under the convention center and a far walk. I used valet parking and when I left my car at check in was told to call 10 minutes in advance for my car. I called at 6:05 PM and was told 10 minutes. I went down in 10 minutes and after waiting 20 minutes was told it will be right out. After 30 minutes still no car. After 35 minutes I went to valet desk and was told it would be up in 2 minutes, which was right after I saw a valet with my keys go and get the car. At least if it will take 30 minutes tell me when I call. At check out I was again told 10 minutes and this time almost 20 minutes. At check out I know there were only 2 valets on duty not sure how many at night. When I picked up my car and returned it I was told my valet parking would be comped and when I checked out it was not. When I mentioned it I was told since it was part of the package there was nothing they can do.
You know something is wrong when the valet manager and the bellman both tell me to complain to the hotel manager that they need more valet staff. I mentioned this at check out and I did not get to speak to the manager.

Like others have mentioned the Elite breakfast is in a ballroom. Was told this was just for the summer. Eggs and sausage, fruit, breads, and a few pastries, along with coffee, tea, and juices. At night the concierge offerings were artichoke cheese poppers, some salad fixings, hummus, and potato chips, and cheese and crackers. Did not make it back for dessert but was told it is brownies every night. During the day they did have some canisters of dried fruit, pretzels, and peanuts out all day. This was also the only concierge lounge I have been to that had a soda dispenser and water dispenser so no bottled water or soda cans.

I love this property due to the location, pools, and great gym but will not return unless I know the hotel is basically empty or I do not have a car.

Texas Booster Sep 5, 2015 8:13 am

Staying at the Marquis now. The CL is as bad as advertised. Amazed that the manager doesn't ensure that the CL is staffed and refreshed occasionally. Moving the breakfast seating for elites down to the main lobby is smart on their part, and the hotels attracts hundreds of elites on holidays.

Breakfast if basic fare, food service scrambles eggs, a meat, pastries and fresh fruit. The hotel breakfast buffet is $27. On the good side our extended family of 4 is allowed entry with no complaints from the staff.

Do get to the CL early. It goes until 9:30 (not 9:00 am) and is packed the last 30 minutes.

Our room is small and OK, no Presidential Suite upgrades for us, and we overlook the marina as does half the hotel. Last nights fireworks as seen from the 17th floor were excellent.

The hotel is completely sold out, parking is atrocious and a shuttle from the airport is highly recommended. FWIW, Coronado Island is also packed. If we wanted peace and quiet and a cheaper rate we would have stayed in Temecula or Tijuana.

Overall, family has decided that this is one of the best vacation spots we have chosen. Probably due to the location in downtown San Diego.