Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Beijing - Chang'an [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thomasito
Update: Hotel leaving Marriott 31st January 2019

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Room
  • Late Check Out to 18:00pm - 1500
  • Room Upgrade to Spectacular - 1500
  • Room Upgrade to Cool Corner - 2500
  • Room Upgrade to Fantastic Suite - 12000
  • Room Upgrade to Marvelous Suite - 18000
Wheels
  • Airport Service One Way Pickup or Dropoff - BMW 5 - 10500
  • Limousine Rental 4h - BMW 5 - 14250
F&B
  • Buffet breakfast - 3000
  • Buffet lunch - 2250
  • Selection of Cocktail - 750
  • VCP Champagne - 12000
Other
  • Away Body Treatment (90 min massage) - 12000
  • Away Facial - 8000
  • Robe - 6000
  • Bath rug- 3000

Smoking Policy

As of June 1, 2015, smoking is no longer permitted within guest rooms and the rest of the hotel premises, in accordance with Beijing Tobacco Control Regulations. Smoking is allowed only at designated smoking areas outside the hotel building.
Print Wikipost

W Beijing - Chang'an [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
The Points Guy was at the same media event as my friend - guess he lucked out with the suite upgrade and good treatment. We weren't as impressed with the pazzaz. Our experience at the Rosewood Beijing is far better - miles ahead of the chain hotels but I guess that's another story.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by moondog
Slip and fall cases in China??? Please share precedents.
Burst out laughing at this comment... nice, Moondog.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: SPG P, HH G, MR G, IHG P, Hyatt D
Anyone stayed there recently? I am considering a night towards the end of September. Should I? Has the SPG P treatment gotten better, upgrades. St Regis is an option as well...
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:45 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Was there last month, even though the hotel didn't seem completely full, as a platinum I had pretty much the same room as one of my no-status coworkers, I was just one or two floors higher. The staff were all very nice. None of the cabs knew where it was, and the mapping programs couldn't seem to find it exactly either they were always a little off.

The rooms are nice, I didn't care for the breakfast very much, it's downstairs in a rather confusing layout. I was never able to get to the lounge when it was open time and always closed when I was there and it's also a very strange hallway type area.

The bar is nice in the service really good, have a happy hour every day that I was only able to make ones but has some good wine.

Not sure if I would stay there again, there was nothing terrible about it, the rooms were nice, and the service was really good. I didn't see any sort of upgrade at all despite being a platinum and I tend to go where that gets recognized. It's a brand-new property so it's probably still at the steep learning curve. Price was incredibly cheap compared to what I usually pay at other W hotels like Hong Kong, London, etc.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:29 am

I'd stick to the St Regis Beijing. They even have a club lounge with a happy hour! Never seen that at any other St Regis property in the world.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by zzap
I'd stick to the St Regis Beijing. They even have a club lounge with a happy hour!
Great news ! Where is the lounge ?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by geilux
Great news ! Where is the lounge ?
It's located on the 18th floor. Follow the signs to the business centre and you will come across it. For further questions we should probably move to the St Regis Beijing thread.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:31 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
I've stayed at this hotel 1.5 weeks ago for a quick weekend trip.
Overall, it's a nice one. As Plat I was upgraded to a fantastic suite on 15th floor which was brilliant. The view is OK (you do not see much in the area), but a lot of glass and light (even in the bathroom which was huge). Loved the movable armchair and the W lightning in the room.

Besides this, I took breakfast as plat option. The restaurant looks great - but the food... everything was just OK. Not a great taste; but not bad. Also some kind confusing service with the open kitchen concept.

2 parties took place in the lobby area when I was there. It was okay - not really crowded. But nice setup. The service definitely has to improve. It took way too long to place an order... but great atmosphere at the party.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
I respectfully disagree with many of the recent posters on this thread.

I stayed at the W for 4 days in September. The hotel is new with a stylish design. Rooms are really fun - as a Plat I received an upgrade to a Marvelous Suite and it was really cool. Fitness center and other amenities are nice too.

I recently did a 5 city tour of China all with SPG (W Beijing, Westin Xi'an, St Regis Chengdu, St Regis Lhasa and Le Royal Meridien Shanghai). The W has the best food of all of them. As a free Platinum amenity, this is a really incredible perk. I...don't understand the criticism.

I haven't stayed at the St Regis Beijing, but it did look older and less stylish. Both hotels are quite near each other.

I would 100% stay at the W again. Hope this is helpful for anyone.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by letsgofire
The W has the best food of all of them. As a free Platinum amenity, this is a really incredible perk.
What are you talking about here -- the breakfast spread?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and AA Concierge Key
Originally Posted by zzap
What are you talking about here -- the breakfast spread?
Right - sorry didn't write that too clearly. The breakfast buffet is what I meant.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by letsgofire
Right - sorry didn't write that too clearly. The breakfast buffet is what I meant.
That was not my impression.
Everything at the bf menu was mediocre.
The egg benedict was not really an egg benedict and cold. The dim sum spread was just OK. Soup was cold; the pencake station was out of service on 2 of 3 days. Scrambled eggs came out as omlette, etc.

The design of the restaurant is very nice - that's not up for discussion.
But the breakfast can't compete with the St Regis or the Westins in Beijing.

Anyway, loved the room plus the vibe at the parties...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Agree with Andie007 on almost all of his points.

After my disappointment with the cancelled opening stay last year I finally found time to visit the W Chang An.

I received a nice Fantastic Suite which I loved. The platinum happy hour includes drinks over two hours in the lobby lounge. You have to order frequently because the staff isn't very attentive and rather plays around with their phones or does other stuff. I would think that one year after opening they would have sorted the training out.

Service staff in general is the biggest minus point at the hotel. While everyone was really nice, communication is still a big problem.

Lastly, the breakfast looks fancy but is really nothing to write home about. Like... nothing. It's a very weird combination of things that don't really mix and match properly. I recommend to get a noodle soup and some Chinese dishes if you like those. All western dishes are prepared in a lackluster way and don't taste very good.

That being said if you ponder between the St Regis and the W, I'd probably still pick the W. At least if I want to have a drink in the evening. This 'happy hour' at the St. Regis is useless garbage and not worth talking about (it USED to be good at the Press Club - not anymore). The breakfast is much better though and the service more professional.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat; OneWorld Emerald; *A Gold
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The breakfast is much better though and the service more professional.
I wasn't clear which one you meant was better the StR or the W?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by LPC6
I wasn't clear which one you meant was better the StR or the W?
Any recent feedback on Marvelous Suites? I'm trying to decide between that and the Ambassador Suite at the SR. Yes, I posted there, but that was generally more about location. So don't flame me for cross-posting.

Best to all, Jamie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.