Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Free breakfast most requested thing by biz travelers...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by orca15
The million or so of us that have federal government-funded travel are all on per diem. State employees here (and I assume most states) are also on per diem.
all large consulting companies with massive numbers of mon-thurs travelers are on per diem also
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:27 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

All the technology companies I know with a ton of traveling sales teams are on expense report... Probably because we hVe fluctuating entertainment costs and probably because they know we'd spend a per diem on beer
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by AADC10
I find the interest in free breakfasts a little strange.
Originally Posted by ohmark
Now, that is strange!
Nah, I've gotta agree with the OP; I couldn't care less about a free hotel breakfast (most of the time I'm not outta the room before 9 anyways ), especially if I could get something like (pleasepleaseMarriottplease) free parking instead.

In fact, the best benefit ever from the Plat Arrival Gift deval was the FS properties w/o a CL that give me 750 pts per day 'cause I didn't eat breakfast!
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by joshua362
... but I've never met anyone who ISN'T on an expense account system here in the US
Hello, Joshua- my name's Kenny

(Self-employed, and pay my own travel expenses. That being said, the few times I'm traveling on behalf of a client and I bill them for my expenses I follow their employees' expense-reporting limits)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:44 pm
soy

Programs: various
I avoid CY because of the breakfast situation. I am pretty simple for brekkie, cereal/OJ/fruit and I am good. On business I can expense it but it is extra hassle, while on leisure it adds up due to wife and kids.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bigshooter
All the technology companies I know with a ton of traveling sales teams are on expense report...
I think that's the key difference: if you're traveling in a true business development role, you have an expense account and you're expected to use it to keep prospective and/or growing clients well-lubricated. Once the gig is sold and you're sending an army of technical staff out to do the job, those guys can go flat per diem or capped expenses.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The husband works at a mid-sized technology company- maybe 200 sales people? They are on the same per diem as the implementation guys, but that doesn't preclude them buying prospects dinner or lunch. If you entertain or another employee entertains and you attend the meal, your per diem for the day is reduced, basically you can't double dip.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Hello, Joshua- my name's Kenny

(Self-employed, and pay my own travel expenses. That being said, the few times I'm traveling on behalf of a client and I bill them for my expenses I follow their employees' expense-reporting limits)
Hey Kenny, nice to make your acquaintance! I admit I have to increase my social circle. Self employment is definitely another matter, I spend the bare minimum if I was alone and never $16+ at the typical Marriott buffet.

Again, I am very jealous of you flat Per-Diem-ers, I would pocket so much and be super skinny...

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 26, 2014 at 9:32 am
Old Apr 25, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When travelling in Asia the hubby pockets the per diem, eats breakfast and dinner in the lounge and most of his clients bring in lunch or have in house cafeterias.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.