Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from May 2018:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-recovery-2624
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons Preferred Partner, RC STARS, MO FAN Club, Dorchester Diamond
Long time lurker...first time poster.

Just wanted to add my two cents about the RC Kyoto, having just stayed at the property several days ago. In my view, the RC is far superior to the Hyatt Regency, both in regards to the physical property and service levels. Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations of the Hyatt Regency after seeing numerous reviews comparing it to a Park Hyatt--and actually switched to the RC after only one night.

Aside from a few hiccups when dealing with the concierge, I was left deeply impressed with the service provided by the staff, as well as the architectural details of the public areas and guest rooms. I stayed in the Suite Kamogawa View room category, which provides a fantastic river view.

Given the fact that some of the lower room categories directly overlook the cemetery of a temple, I would advise contacting the property to ask that you be placed in the guest rooms facing away from the cemetery if this bothers you. After asking to see a guest room with a view of the cemetery, I will say that unless you sit directly by the window, you will not see the cemetery as it is almost directly below the property.

Last edited by ProTraveler; Jan 28, 2015 at 6:19 pm Reason: Image Formatting
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
I just returned from a 3 night stay in Kyoto, 2 at the RC and 1 at the Suiran, a Starwood Luxury Collection property. I have posted my comments on Suiran elsewhere on flyertalk.

The RC was 50,000 Marriott points per night while the Suiran was 25,000 Starwood points. In theory that makes Suiran a MORE expensive property as typical valuations for SPG points are about $0.02 whereas MR points are $0.005 or so.

While I did not get any champagne or suite upgrade, we did get a larger 5th floor room with a partial view of the lovely raked courtyard (and a main view of the roof and the mountains). I did not avail of any services from the RC but the checkin experience was simply magical. I was exhausted by a long day, a flight, a long train ride (made more irritating by JR-West selling the ICOCA/Haruka for cash only, and Lawson convenience stores not accepting my US ATM card), plus a taxi ride to the hotel. We alighted at the hotel around 11pm. I actually did not hear the part where my wife was asked for our last name, because the next thing I remember was "follow me". We were shown straight to the room and passports scanned and that was that. Best check in ever.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'm a dedicated Hyatt poster, Diamond, and HR Kyoto guest so putting Hyatt loyalty aside. Am also a Marriott Platinum (not sure how much that came into play here).

This is probably the best hotel in Kyoto. I can't say Regency is better in any way with a straight face . There are some services I did not use at RC Kyoto that I normally do use at Hyatt Regency so I can't comment: namely concierge.

Hard product:
Everything here is a step above in quality, build and elegance. The holding company spared no expense. Gardens, restaurants, rooms, common areas - all just grande and luxurious.

I think this hotel looks better than Aman Tokyo (flameshield on). That urban bland monolith. Zen too simple. Even the base rooms show attention to detail and ooze opulence.

Corner Suite 206 with the RC flags, Japanese flag and river view is mind blowing. My picture sucked when the flags weren't blowing in full bloom. (Post later) The only thing we don't like is the lack of closet space. Barely any.
Odd to put so much detail into everything else but neglect a proper closet.

Food and beverage
F&B is another world too. Mizuki does everything from teppan to Kaiseki to sushi bar. The grace and sophistication of the products for kaiseki lunch. Look at that iceberg, mountain side sashimi platter! (post later)

Breakfast was better than Hyatt too.

Service: generally decent to very good. No major cockups. I had heard many horror stories from Flyertalk before but we didn't experience anything bad. Really tries to be urban ryokan, resort than just a normal hotel. Housekeeping was done well. Discretely like ninjas.

They stop and wait for you to pass and bow as you go. I don't really care for that level of Japanese service but is higher than Hyatt's.

I was told Japanese staycationers/tourists take most of the riverview standard/deluxe rooms and upgrades aren't so forth coming. You will find yourself in competition with the hotel's domestic members looking for upgrades too. You kinda get what you pay for.

Add more thoughts as the stay continues!
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:24 am

Fitness center at RC and Hyatt Kyoto

Hi,
I will be Kyoto for a few days in December, and trying to decide between the Hyatt and the RC. The gym / fitness facilities are very important to us (treadmills, free weights, dumbbells, etc).

Could you please let me know which one of the two hotels has better fitness facilities? I heard the gym at the RC is not very good.

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diegogalan
Hi,
I will be Kyoto for a few days in December, and trying to decide between the Hyatt and the RC. The gym / fitness facilities are very important to us (treadmills, free weights, dumbbells, etc).

Could you please let me know which one of the two hotels has better fitness facilities? I heard the gym at the RC is not very good.

Thanks!
I would think RC would be bigger and better because it's newer. Hyatt's is quite small and older.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
http://news.marriott.com/2015/08/vir...tel-award.html

International luxury travel network Virtuoso® recently announced the winners of its prestigious 2015 Best of the Best hotel awards at its 27th annual Virtuoso Travel Week conference, where The Ritz-Carlton, Kyoto was recognized for the Best Achievement in Design
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
Finished a 3 night stay at the Hyatt & Ritz Carlton Koto. No doubt, the Ritz prevails in all areas. In fact, we would say it was the best hotel stay we have had. We both felt it does not fit the Ritz brand and is much closer to an Aman. The design of this hotel is stunning, and functional. We also enjoyed the restaurants, and spa facilities. Service was friendly, efficient, abundant, but not obtrusive once you learned the flow of the hotel.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonomawine
Finished a 3 night stay at the Hyatt & Ritz Carlton Koto. No doubt, the Ritz prevails in all areas. In fact, we would say it was the best hotel stay we have had. We both felt it does not fit the Ritz brand and is much closer to an Aman. The design of this hotel is stunning, and functional. We also enjoyed the restaurants, and spa facilities. Service was friendly, efficient, abundant, but not obtrusive once you learned the flow of the hotel.
It lives up to the lofty heights and expectations set by other Asian RCs that's for sure.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just was looking at making a reservation for the RC Kyoto for November next year and it looks like the entire month is sold out? or blocked?

Anyone know why that is?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by roder
Just was looking at making a reservation for the RC Kyoto for November next year and it looks like the entire month is sold out? or blocked?

Anyone know why that is?
It was mentioned in another thread that November is peak season for Kyoto: autumn, foliage change, etc.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roder

Anyone know why that is?
Could be sold out. That's a major time for fall foliage and arguably one of the more beautiful times to visit. Fall came early this year and we missed it in early December.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:13 am

Does Ritz Carlton Kyoto charge for 2nd person in the room? I made a reservation for 1 person, but I want to add another person in the same room. Will I be charged for extra at check-in?
Old May 24, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just took a look at this property. Right now I only have silver status and looking to earn gold in future. They want 70k points for a night at this property. My understanding is with RC status doesn't mean a whole lot compared to a FS Marriott, so lack of status isn't much of a concern here. Is this property worth using all the points at as a once in a lifetime experience or would I be better off saving my marriott points for a future redemption? Rack rate is around $960 for a weekend night. I may make a trip to western europe in the near future, so may want to use the points in Paris once I have higher status.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
Just took a look at this property. Right now I only have silver status and looking to earn gold in future. They want 70k points for a night at this property. My understanding is with RC status doesn't mean a whole lot compared to a FS Marriott, so lack of status isn't much of a concern here. Is this property worth using all the points at as a once in a lifetime experience or would I be better off saving my marriott points for a future redemption? Rack rate is around $960 for a weekend night. I may make a trip to western europe in the near future, so may want to use the points in Paris once I have higher status.
I have gold status with RC and have been upgraded on paid stays through Virtuoso (last time to a corner suite). I love the hotel and location but wouldn't be able to tell you if it's worth all of your points or once-in-a-lifetime without knowing your presences. I tend to prefer modern/quiet hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.