Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Palazzo Naiadi, The Dedica Anthology, Rome, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;

I just booked the Boscolo Exedra Roma for 5 nights (2 rooms) with points for October. If I didn't use points this would have cost over $6,175. WOW; although I pretty much wiped out my points.

Even after booking, I wanted to find some other reviews and goggled it and then started seeing (Soprano) James Gandofini's name associated with it. Oh my, that is where he had his heart attack in June, in the bathroom. One article even said someone stole his Rolex watch after he died while lying dead in the hotel room. What is up with that?

I have heard Rome is pretty bad with thieves on tourist, but that is taking it to another level.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
We loved our stay in Rome. We were at the Grand Flora on points for a week. Rates would have been unaffordable.

To your theme, my wife had her zippered purse opened and her wallet stolen on the subway heading back to the hotel. While it was over her shoulder! Only time (so far) that's ever happened. We always keep sep. credit cards. Passport was in the safe. Not much cash. her Amex was replaced at an Amex office. Minimal trouble, but wow, they were GOOD.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We loved our stay in Rome. We were at the Grand Flora on points for a week. Rates would have been unaffordable.

To your theme, my wife had her zippered purse opened and her wallet stolen on the subway heading back to the hotel. While it was over her shoulder! Only time (so far) that's ever happened. We always keep sep. credit cards. Passport was in the safe. Not much cash. her Amex was replaced at an Amex office. Minimal trouble, but wow, they were GOOD.

The Grand Flora wasn't available for my schedule but I would have preferred. The Exedra sounds good as well and there is a lounge. If its good enough for Tony Soprano, its good enough for me. ^
Old Jan 8, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by trekker954
The Grand Flora wasn't available for my schedule but I would have preferred. The Exedra sounds good as well and there is a lounge. If its good enough for Tony Soprano, its good enough for me. ^
I completely agree. Exerda wasn't in the Marriott family when we traveled to Rome. Just relating our wallet story.

This is a link to just an awesome tour guide we used for St. Peters and Forum/Coloseum.

http://www.rome-tours.com/guide.php
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Boscolo Exedra-Rome platinum question

Staying at Boscolo Exedra in Rome anyone stayed here and received a Platinum welcome Gift?

Currently staying here on points checked in yesterday. No acknowledgement . Thoughts or prior experience?

Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by mike2200
Staying at Boscolo Exedra in Rome anyone stayed here and received a Platinum welcome Gift?

Currently staying here on points checked in yesterday. No acknowledgement . Thoughts or prior experience?

Thanks
You can check the Rome thread to see if it's consistent or an abberation. If it's consistent, ask for the guarantee. If it's an abberation but you'r e happy with the stay just stop by and gently remind them they forgot to ask and you'd like it now.

Cheers
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike2200

Thanks

You can check the Rome thread to see if it's consistent or an abberation. If it's consistent, ask for the guarantee. If it's an abberation but you'r e happy with the stay just stop by and gently remind them they forgot to ask and you'd like it now.

Cheers
Thanks for reply, I did do several searches on the Marriott thread couldn't find anything before posting. Will do your suggestion just was wondering if anyone had an issue
before.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:19 am

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
We received a PAG (wine and sweets) but delievery took several hours.
Have you been asked what kind of PAG you would prefer?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:42 pm

Boscolo Exedra-Rome platinum question

Issue solved checked with check in clerk stated he thought PAG was in room would have sent and he did.

Very lovely hotel great breakfast buffet, includes salads and desserts.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:43 pm

Glad it worked out and was just a minor slip. Enjoy your stay!

Cheers
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:44 am

Programs: AA-LT Gold 1.2MM ,DL, Marriott LT TITANIUM; HH Gold, AMEX PLT
We received both points and a half bottle of wine and some sweets. I think the sweets are sent to all the rooms upon check in. When we changed rooms, we received the same amenity again.
Terri
Old Oct 24, 2014, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Back from Boscolo Exedra award stay - review

To review: in January I booked two standard superior rooms (2 persons in each room) for 5 nights (5th night free) on an award. One room requested was a king bed (son and his g/f) and the other two twins (my daughter and I). I am a Marriott Platinum member. A few months ago I did notice I was taxes jumped quite a bit (taxes in Rome went up in July and are NOT included in the award redemption). So that was $140 euro for both rooms.

Arrived at the hotel around noon (checked in on the app the night before stating arrival at noon). One room was ready, the other would be shortly. They said that they've upgraded both rooms to Deluxe and that both rooms would have the free breakfasts (I wasn't expecting that). I asked if either room could handle a rollaway b/c on the fifth night DH was flying in (night before our cruise). They said no. We'd have to change to a junior suite for another $200 euro, + 100 euro for the rollaway. yikes. I said, okay, no thank you.

Since my daughter and I had already been in Rome for a night we decided to let son and g/f who just flew in, take the room that was ready so they could shower and such. We went up to that room, it was a corner room and HUGE. I had later asked if it were a suite, but was told no, just a Deluxe, but some are larger than others. I couldn't understand why they would allow a rollaway in there, but whatever. Our room, they put us next door was typical European size, but very nice anyway. they sent a small bottle of wine up to both rooms and some type of nasty cookies. The location is the best EVER. Close to main train station, walkable to so many sights, right above a metro and tons of restaurants around. love, love, loved it.

The buffet breakfast was probably my biggest disappointment. It was carb city all the way. tons of pastries. Fruits, yes, but I guess they do not import grapefruit or cantaloupe. just local in season fruit. no made to order (unless you want to pay). The scrambled eggs were gross and they do not cook their bacon. They did not offer healthy protein such as hard boiled eggs or egg white. just meat and cheese (but as an American I don't consider that breakfast). Breads seems hard. So that was that.

The gym was very small, part of the spa, so we didn't go there. They gave each room codes for the internet, unlimited devices. Slingbox worked well from there. Good thing, about the only English language channel was CNN and BBC.

Oh, there is a VIP lounge, that has a coffee machine and some cookies throughout the day. Also they have newspapers and a computer for use. I was told with my status I had access. The door was always open and anyone could have walked in. There was no monitoring of this lounge. it does have comfy seats and is quiet.

So about Day 4, I hop on hotels.com and find a cute little hotel, Hotel patria, literally across the street for $79 US$ w breakfast (I could look out my boscolo hotel room window and see it). My daughter and I go check it out (lobby - talk to manager who was very nice) and book my DH in there for one night. The reality of the room, was pretty bare bones, but he slept well, was safe and comfortable and way cheaper than even if they had allowed us a rollaway.

I'd go back in a heartbeat. They treated us very well.

Update: Even though award stay, I received 2,593 points (1,395 base + 698 elite+ 500 extra) I guess the payment for taxes and such was considered.

Last edited by trekker954; Nov 4, 2014 at 8:16 am
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:27 pm

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz Gold
update on Exedra and Palace ownership

I received the following message today from Marriott. Does anyone have other verifying - or conflicting - info?

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

We were able to locate the following information:

The Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection is remains under Marriott; however, the Boscolo Palace Roma, Autograph Collection hotel was released from Marriott systems on October 16, 2014.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll52
I received the following message today from Marriott. Does anyone have other verifying - or conflicting - info?

Thank you for contacting Marriott. We appreciate the opportunity to provide you with information.

We were able to locate the following information:

The Boscolo Exedra Roma, Autograph Collection is remains under Marriott; however, the Boscolo Palace Roma, Autograph Collection hotel was released from Marriott systems on October 16, 2014.
Correct. There was a thread that Palace Roma was leaving Marriott & I took the Palace Roma off the exec lounge sticky list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.