FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Ritz Carlton Singapore [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1538317-ritz-carlton-singapore-master-thread.html)

markcwj Jan 6, 2014 2:47 am

Ritz Carlton Singapore [Master Thread]

When I tried to make a booking on Ritz Carlton Singapore, I received the following message:

"Please Note – This hotel does not participate in the Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Marriott Rewards programs."

Upon further investigation, I realised they do have a private membership programme that can be bought into at SGD$888 Nett.

Anyone has any idea what's the reason?

BKKLEE Jan 6, 2014 3:10 am

old news which has been published in this forum numerous times.....

and, this is not the only RC property that does not participate in MRs....
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/default.mi

Originally Posted by markcwj (Post 22093515)
When I tried to make a booking on Ritz Carlton Singapore, I received the following message:

"Please Note – This hotel does not participate in the Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Marriott Rewards programs."

jlmcp Feb 25, 2014 11:10 am

I just got hoodwinked by this same thing. Booked a 7-night stay at the RC Singapore and realized I would be getting no points/credit. Too late to change hotels now. Bummer.

Jake

dayone Feb 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by jlmcp (Post 22414543)
Too late to change hotels now.

You have a very early definition of "too late."

jlmcp Jul 12, 2014 5:26 am

Corporate approval processes, my friend.

In all reality I *could* have changed my hotel on that trip, but with the timezone difference between where I am and where the corporate travel monkeys sit, not to mention all the explanations and headaches involved, it wasn't worth it for me.

Next time.

matrixwalker2012 Dec 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Ritz Carlton Singapore Millenia use SPG Luxury card?

I'm aware this hotel does not participate in Marriott rewards, but if this hotel is booked via Amex FHR, then I was wondering if I paid for the hotel upon checkout with my SPG Luxury card, does this hotel still count as a Marriott purchase? I'd like to know if I can still get this to trigger 6X points plus use my $300 Marriott credit that comes with the SPG Luxury card.

exploreaswego Dec 17, 2018 11:10 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 (Post 30540127)
I'm aware this hotel does not participate in Marriott rewards, but if this hotel is booked via Amex FHR, then I was wondering if I paid for the hotel upon checkout with my SPG Luxury card, does this hotel still count as a Marriott purchase? I'd like to know if I can still get this to trigger 6X points plus use my $300 Marriott credit that comes with the SPG Luxury card.

I guess your question is if the payment will code as a Marriott spending via AMEX.
My take is your chances are very low, if it does not participate, your cobranded SPG Lux will not read it as a Marriott eligible purchase.
You can report it as a dp if you are successful.

margarita girl Dec 29, 2018 1:55 pm

I will be staying at RC Singapore in Jan. I wrote to the hotel to ask them to add my Plat number to reservation (booked through an OTA) in case they might toss me a crumb. Got the following email back, which I thought was interesting.

I would like to assure you that we are diligently lobbying to be admitted to the Rewards Program and as you can imagine, we are just as eager you to get this moving forward as this would give us the opportunity of enhancing our recognition of loyal The Ritz-Carlton and Marriott guests.

At this moment, although points are not earned for your at The Ritz-Carlton Millenia Singapore, we genuinely would like to welcome you to our property. Have us host your next stay with the complimentary upgrade to next room category for the points that you were unable to earn.

bhrubin Dec 29, 2018 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30585811)
I will be staying at RC Singapore in Jan. I wrote to the hotel to ask them to add my Plat number to reservation (booked through an OTA) in case they might toss me a crumb. Got the following email back, which I thought was interesting.

Very interesting, indeed! Thanks so much for sharing.

I wonder if the StR is getting more of the luxury play in town between them, and that’s perhaps made the owners rethink the loyalty program participation. Just like the RC Residences in Honolulu.

I’ll also be very curious about your perspective on this RC. Some in the Luxury Forum love it, especially the views; others really weren’t as impressed, especially about the hard product. But there’s no question that Singapore lacks any true consensus favorites in the luxury segment, so for Marriott elites this RC or the StR seem to be our best options.

kaizen7 Dec 30, 2018 3:41 am

Really hoping RC Singapore can join MR as it will push both StR and RC.

Currently StR think they are the top dog in MarriottTown as the next best options will be Westin and JW which are on different class.

hockeyinsider Dec 30, 2018 10:28 am

Who does a property have to lobby to join? The owner? This just seems odd. Maybe it was a bad English translation.

For what it's worth, the J.W. Marriott Singapore South Beach, St. Regis Singapore and W Singapore are managed jointly in a cluster by Marriott International.

kaizen7 Dec 30, 2018 11:20 am

Does RC Singapore managed by Marriott International as well?

It might be the management want to join MR, but the owner refused so management try to convince owners?
or
They in talks about the T&C for the hotel to join MR
or
Just some rubbish talk from management
As in its better to claim that they trying to join rather than simply said : We are fully booked enough without having to reduce our profit dealing with MR members :D

But I really hope they do join MR in the near future.
Gives MR members more options for luxury segment hotel in Singapore.

kaizen7 Dec 30, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30585870)

Very interesting, indeed! Thanks so much for sharing.

I wonder if the StR is getting more of the luxury play in town between them, and that’s perhaps made the owners rethink the loyalty program participation. Just like the RC Residences in Honolulu.

I’ll also be very curious about your perspective on this RC. Some in the Luxury Forum love it, especially the views; others really weren’t as impressed, especially about the hard product. But there’s no question that Singapore lacks any true consensus favorites in the luxury segment, so for Marriott elites this RC or the StR seem to be our best options.

It seems like StR and RC both have high occupancy rate. Although I'm not sure about the actual number. There are high possibility that StR did poach some of RC clients due to their recent participation in MR

For location wise, StR have better location for tourists (Orchard road area)
RC might have advantage for its proximity to MRT station. But Singapore taxi is very reasonable, so people who can afford staying in either hotel sure have no issue using taxis.

And for Singapore hotel scene themself, most of the new build hotels are more to cater the business clients like Westin, Sofitel Tanjong Pagar, and Oasia Downtown.
Newly refurbished Raffles might offer some fresh competition among those luxury segment hotels.

hockeyinsider Dec 30, 2018 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 30588326)
Does RC Singapore managed by Marriott International as well?

It might be the management want to join MR, but the owner refused so management try to convince owners?
or
They in talks about the T&C for the hotel to join MR
or
Just some rubbish talk from management
As in its better to claim that they trying to join rather than simply said : We are fully booked enough without having to reduce our profit dealing with MR members :D

But I really hope they do join MR in the near future.
Gives MR members more options for luxury segment hotel in Singapore.

I can't imagine a scenario in which management or employees would be criticizing the owner for not allowing them to join Marriott's loyalty program. I also can't imagine Marriott International would be against the property joining, as presumably it was the owner and not Marriott International that kept the property from being in the loyalty program in the first place.

This is just very bizarre. Someone based in Singapore should try and find out additional information.

As for who manages the property, I believe Marriott's subsidiary, the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, manages it. I think there is only one Ritz-Carlton property, Kuala Lumpur, not managed by corporate.

hockeyinsider Dec 30, 2018 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 30588362)
Newly refurbished Raffles might offer some fresh competition among those luxury segment hotels.

I've always wondered if the Raffles Hotel makes more off guests or from the selling of Singapore sling cocktails.