Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Just back from JWKL. Probably my 5th or 6th stay and probably the most disappointing. I realise renovations are due, but everything is tired in the meantime, and it's like the staff have given up bothering to try and fix stuff. And got allocated literally the worst room, far from the beach, with non-working lights and switches; in fact no lamps other than the main lights and night/bed lights; two queens pushed together to make a super-king, but no sheets big enough, so a bed made with two duvets and four sheets laid over each other, cleverly hidden so I didn't work it out till I got into bed; oh, and leaking ceiling and permanent damp; staff were fine, but really just going through the motions - it wasn't even that busy, although there were a lot of small kids which we all know is hard work

Anyone have any idea what the scope of the renovations is? And will the whole resort get done this summer, or only partially? Goodness knows it's overdue now... Do I need to find another resort for next year? (any recommendations? Ren is OK, but not a fan of JW Phuket. Not familiar with the Starwood portfolio around here though)

Originally Posted by Bfhause
Not sure if it's still there, but if you walk to the beach and turn right, there was an excellent little restaurant called Blue Mist. Terrific food, very inexpensive and great owner.
In other news, Blue Mist is the best! Alas all the restaurants and massage places on the right hand side of the beach got moved on, not sure why. Pinky and the others to the left of the resort are still there. However, Blue Mist has moved half way between JW and the main road, and will come and pick up JW guests - just drop them a message on their Facebook page to reserve a table. Highly recommended, tasty food and great value.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 8:02 pm
soy

Programs: various
Stayed here recently (first time back in several years). Have updated the wiki for current elite bennies.

Did not have the negative experience that kt74 had. Upgraded to Deluxe Lagoon Access, kids loved it. First time here during low season, and the rubbish thrown up on the beach is so much worse than high season. Also water very choppy with red flag most days.

For the most part found it very similar to my previous stays, so no complaints.

Half the resort is now shut down and undergoing renovations. Saw into one of the rooms and they have stripped it back to the concrete. There are renderings on view in the lobby, and while the general room layout stays the same, all the finishing will get a new more contemporary look. It also appears as if they will extend the Japanese and Thai restaurants to put a roof over the courtyards, allowing a hybrid indoor/outdoor dining experience. Apparently first rooms will be ready for Oct 2019. However I cannot see how they will get all the current 'in-work' rooms done based on where there are now.

As you face the resort from the beach, all the shacks to the left are indeed gone. Turns out it was public property and even though the shack owners were paying rent, the 'landlord' had no title on the land. Of course there could be a political aspect to this also. Pinkys et al on the other side are still there. Apparently that is privately owned land.

Blue Mist still has great food, but the new location is a big drawback. Spoke with the owner and he is looking at getting back on the beach in the next year or so, though not necessarily the same beach. Can't say I blame him, he was empty most nights. A new one for me is Pam's which is across from Blue Mist. She has done a really great job with making an attractive location out of very little. Food is great as is cost. Maybe not as much variety as Blue Mist but otherwise comparable. Also provides free pick-up / drop-off from the hotel. Check her out on tripadvisor, since opening in 2016, she is now ranked #1 in the area.

While there, I heard rumors that it will close entirely next low season to complete the renovations. Initally I thought this was unlikely but now wonder if its true because based on where they are with progress they might need to shut and really go at it rather than the current approach. Most significant though is that no rooms of any description are available for next June-July. Did not check other dates. If true I feel bad for the staff and the neighboring businesses that rely on the resort.
kt74 and Cynicor like this.

Last edited by soy; Dec 3, 2019 at 6:38 am
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Does the upgrade (with SNA) to the Family Pool Access room has any sense ?

I see there is not any suite availability on our next stay dates (booked basic room with points) and I’m thinking If to extend the SNA request to the family pool access room also

what is normally the free upgrade for Titanium members from basic room ?

I would avoid to use the SNA if I could still get upgraded to deluxe pool access of Family pool access because titanium membership

thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dav77
Does the upgrade (with SNA) to the Family Pool Access room has any sense ?

I see there is not any suite availability on our next stay dates (booked basic room with points) and I’m thinking If to extend the SNA request to the family pool access room also

what is normally the free upgrade for Titanium members from basic room ?

I would avoid to use the SNA if I could still get upgraded to deluxe pool access of Family pool access because titanium membership

thanks.
I stayed about a month ago and was upgraded to a "two bedroom" suite. Essentially a one bedroom "suite" with a connecting door to a second room (I had two rooms on my booking). I stayed there during the renovations last time so it was nice to see the newer rooms on this occasion. It was quite a decent upgrade. It is split over two floors, downstairs being a living room area with a bathroom. Upstairs had a king sized bed with the main bathroom. This was an upgrade from the basic room.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by Will08
I stayed about a month ago and was upgraded to a "two bedroom" suite. Essentially a one bedroom "suite" with a connecting door to a second room (I had two rooms on my booking). I stayed there during the renovations last time so it was nice to see the newer rooms on this occasion. It was quite a decent upgrade. It is split over two floors, downstairs being a living room area with a bathroom. Upstairs had a king sized bed with the main bathroom. This was an upgrade from the basic room.
what about the air con on the second floor where the bedroom is? What us cool enough? Someone here said it would not go below 23ish
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Mae Zieg
what about the air con on the second floor where the bedroom is? What us cool enough? Someone here said it would not go below 23ish
I didnt have any problems with the ac and I like the room to be as cold as possible when I sleep.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
All the shacks to the left are indeed gone. Turns out it was public property and even though the shack owners were paying rent, the 'landlord' had no title on the land. Of course there could be a political aspect to this also. Pinkys et al on the other side are still there. Apparently that is privately owned land.

Major bummer - cheap massage and food a few steps away was a big draw... probably need to email and check on reno status - i hope there is no construction going on...
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:40 pm

Can you get cheap massages somewhere around the resort?
There must also be some reasonably-priced places to eat nearby, I assume
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:51 am

If you are looking at the resort from the water, there are no facilities directly to the left. On the right hand side, there are 4 (?) restaurants plus a lineup of massage tables. Otherwise you have the shuttle to take you into town for more options (as well as a few restaurants on the back road that will pick you up). Pinky's was our favorite and the prices were fair with good food, so we ate there almost daily for lunch or dinner.

We were upgraded to the duplex suite and the AC was fine for us, and we kept it cold.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joeags
If you are looking at the resort from the water, there are no facilities directly to the left. On the right hand side, there are 4 (?) restaurants plus a lineup of massage tables. ...
Hope to be wrong but apparently those are gone per reports above..
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:42 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by azepine00
Hope to be wrong but apparently those are gone per reports above..
I have updated my original post to clarify where you are facing for left vs right.

joeags is correct unless there have been further changes since July 2019.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soy
I have updated my original post to clarify where you are facing for left vs right.

joeags is correct unless there have been further changes since July 2019.
Excellent - thank you..
Old Dec 29, 2019, 2:29 am

Anyone can suggest me what are the most quiet rooms (of deluxe lagoon pool view) ? Far from constructions and other noisy places

I tried to apply the SNA but refused (I think the property is fully booked on next days) so I would like to ask the most quiet room of same category

thanks
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:54 am

Just arrived this afternoon and already discussed 2 times about the really poor room acoustic insulation. Tomorrow morning we will be changed our room because we have some young marathoners above us ...

for me is unacceptable at a 5* property to feel so much noise from the near rooms.

now or room is at 2nd floor of zone 2 (booked lowest category - no upgrade - only got a renovated room)

the resort itself is very nice, but the rooms are really too poor on insulation

I hope our next 4 night will be better and quieter, but...never more here
Old Jan 1, 2020, 9:26 pm

Having left a small review on generic Phuket hotels thread, here there are some pictures from this property

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.